EA Forums - Banner

NHL 20 Patch Details April 3rd

image
Check out our April 3rd patch details here.

Quick stop removed?

Prev1
Thegregbradley
11 posts Member
edited September 2018
Can you please patch the quick stop back (hold L2) into the game?

In previous entries one of the crucial maneuvers while skating with the puck was to hold L2 to perform a hard stop. This was a great way to create space, set up plays, etc, but it has been moved this year. Anytime I try to pull the maneuver my player does the spin move. Yes I know the spin move was also in the game last year but you had twirl the joystick while holding L2.


[edited title to lowercase formatting]
Post edited by Socair on

Replies

  • I do the hard stop without L2 even in 18... I'll give it a try later though.
  • Agreed I noticed this right away
  • You don't press L2 for a hard stop.

    You press LS in the opposite direction your player is skating.
  • You don't press L2 for a hard stop.

    You press LS in the opposite direction your player is skating.

    Yeah I’ve never heard of this hard stop using L2 before.

  • I thought it was just me not pressing down hard enough. It’s one of my go to moves on a 1 on 1 and it always works to create the space needed after you shake the guy off. It’s not a hard stop as in a hockey stop, it’s changing direction from forward to backwards while staying square to the play. I noticed now you just do the spin every time which is supposed to be an L2 tap. The spin also, for whatever reason over rotates this year too, you should be able to stop its motion when you want. So many times I’ve completely broke a defenders ankles when he’s aggressive and comes for the hit on the half wall, where usually I can spin off and have a straight line to the net but now the spin completely goes more than 360 degrees it seems, when you’re out of it it’s like you’re out of position now for no reason and you lose the cool play you would have done before. Needs a tuner for sure
  • Well, I can tell you with 100% certainty that the button for hard stop was hold L2. It was that for many years prior to this year. You can also pull back on LS, but as you know if your thumb is leaned towards the left or right your player will go in that direction.

    It's like the same thing if you are not the puck carrier and you drive the net while holding L2 you won't check the opponent if you miss the pass in front.
  • 17Woodsy wrote: »
    I thought it was just me not pressing down hard enough. It’s one of my go to moves on a 1 on 1 and it always works to create the space needed after you shake the guy off. It’s not a hard stop as in a hockey stop, it’s changing direction from forward to backwards while staying square to the play. I noticed now you just do the spin every time which is supposed to be an L2 tap. The spin also, for whatever reason over rotates this year too, you should be able to stop its motion when you want. So many times I’ve completely broke a defenders ankles when he’s aggressive and comes for the hit on the half wall, where usually I can spin off and have a straight line to the net but now the spin completely goes more than 360 degrees it seems, when you’re out of it it’s like you’re out of position now for no reason and you lose the cool play you would have done before. Needs a tuner for sure

    It’s not a hard stop as in a hockey stop, it’s changing direction from forward to backwards while staying square to the play.
    -- YES! This is the perfect description for what it was. It was one of the best moves on offense and needs to come back. No matter what it's a spin move now.
  • Well, I can tell you with 100% certainty that the button for hard stop was hold L2.

    But... it's not....

    L2 is for vision control, not a hard stop.
  • 17Woodsy wrote: »
    I thought it was just me not pressing down hard enough. It’s one of my go to moves on a 1 on 1 and it always works to create the space needed after you shake the guy off. It’s not a hard stop as in a hockey stop, it’s changing direction from forward to backwards while staying square to the play. I noticed now you just do the spin every time which is supposed to be an L2 tap. The spin also, for whatever reason over rotates this year too, you should be able to stop its motion when you want. So many times I’ve completely broke a defenders ankles when he’s aggressive and comes for the hit on the half wall, where usually I can spin off and have a straight line to the net but now the spin completely goes more than 360 degrees it seems, when you’re out of it it’s like you’re out of position now for no reason and you lose the cool play you would have done before. Needs a tuner for sure

    It’s not a hard stop as in a hockey stop, it’s changing direction from forward to backwards while staying square to the play.
    -- YES! This is the perfect description for what it was. It was one of the best moves on offense and needs to come back. No matter what it's a spin move now.

    You can still use vision control to do the maneuver you're desrcibing. I believe it's pressure sensitive now. Don't press it down all the way and you won't 'spin' - you'll do the move you're describing.
  • Whatever you say, boss.
  • I think what you are talking about is a quick transition. It's a very common skating drill in practice. Skating forwards and using a smooth cut with both blades transitoning into back skating to stay heads up.
  • Yeah totally, mistook it for quickstop/hardstop whatever. The issue remains, that they seemingly removed it from the game. I'm going to try the suggestion above of "lightly pressing". But, in all the club and drop in games I've played I haven't been able to pull it of.
  • The issue remains, that they seemingly removed it from the game. I'm going to try the suggestion above of "lightly pressing".

    How does the 'issue remain' if you haven't even tried yet?
    But, in all the club and drop in games I've played I haven't been able to pull it of.

    Because you didn't even know how to..... so it hasn't been 'removed' like you claim. You just don't know how to pull it off.

  • I use this move pretty frequently. I just hold left trigger (L2) and aim the left stick where I want to go.

    Pressing left trigger once results in a spin. I wish they'd remove the one-touch spin because I do it on accident sometimes. The left trigger plus right stick rotation works just fine for a spin.
  • Sinbin
    1331 posts Member
    edited September 2018
    xmonte69x wrote: »
    I use this move pretty frequently. I just hold left trigger (L2) and aim the left stick where I want to go.

    Pressing left trigger once results in a spin. I wish they'd remove the one-touch spin because I do it on accident sometimes. The left trigger plus right stick rotation works just fine for a spin.

    This is easily controlled. I only spin when I want to. Just hold it in, push the opposite direction and you'll stop. You have to tap L2 for a spin-o-rama. I haven't had any trouble with accidentally hitting it, but it would be nice to be able to edit the controller settings and turn it off if needed.
  • Are you doing this on NHL 19? I just tried several times in a row and it doesn't work like it does in previous years. Soft press does not work either.
  • NHLDev
    1625 posts EA NHL Developer
    The OP may be referring to the d turns. They were overpowered and broke the motion model in the past as they were driven by animation motion.

    You can still do them with a roll left or right towards the other direction as you press LT/L2 but they are in the motion model now so closer to what is physically accurate, relative to the other skating tuning for each game style.

    In the past, you could do them on a dime and convert your speed just as fast regardless of incoming velocity.

    They are much more aligned now which is a good thing for game balance between offense and defense.
  • Sounds like the developer just turned down the figure skaters and guys who stop and go in corners 8 times without ever passing the pick. Great job!!
  • guacapoli wrote: »
    Sounds like the developer just turned down the figure skaters and guys who stop and go in corners 8 times without ever passing the pick. Great job!!

    Still possible. The D turn as they call it was usually more useful for wheeling back to try and catch a dman chasing too hard and getting a free one timer.
  • NHLDev wrote: »
    The OP may be referring to the d turns. They were overpowered and broke the motion model in the past as they were driven by animation motion.

    You can still do them with a roll left or right towards the other direction as you press LT/L2 but they are in the motion model now so closer to what is physically accurate, relative to the other skating tuning for each game style.

    In the past, you could do them on a dime and convert your speed just as fast regardless of incoming velocity.

    They are much more aligned now which is a good thing for game balance between offense and defense.

    The point of the game is to sim NHL players, this is a drill used in every practice from bantam on up. It’s not some super skill, it’s a transition move from forward to backwards. There’s no reason to take our tools away
Sign In or Register to comment.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!