EA Forums - Banner

Poke check spam

Replies

• I play a lot of defense and I notice the poke is a lot less scary to use. Every poke is no longer a stress-fest of "oh gosh I hope this won't be a penalty."

That said, I still just use the poke when the puck is exposed, and I rarely get a call. The difference is, if I am off a bit to the side, I can poke an exposed puck without a tripping call now. That was a good change.

I would be in favor of a way to limit how often you can poke to eliminate spamming, but the "good but not perfect angle" causing penalties are thankfully gone.
  • Socair wrote: »
    guacapoli wrote: »
    ExSnake01 wrote: »
    Sgt_Kelso wrote: »
    But I can say stick-lifting is really rampant, why don't people complain about that so much?

Yea. It's funny to see nobody talking about that. Every puck battle involves at least spamming the stick lifts 3-5 times. It seems many just want to push a button instead of figuring out how to properly angle for body checks.

Also I think they made poke checks substantially stronger now but it's still punishing if not done properly. This whole thing seems extremely confusing with so many people divided on the issue.

Stick lift is stupid when you wreck a guy in the corner, he pops up and in one quick swipe lifts my stick and gets the puck back. It's bologna.
    Yep, they were supposed to improve pick ups after a big hit. But it feels the same as 18...the puck is always caught up in the body. I get that it shouldn’t be super easy to always hit and steal the puck, but a middle ground would be nice.

I’m talking club/drop...in the arcade tuned modes it is too easy.

In the beta I rarely saw problems with puck pickups. Come release and I see issues that were present with 18. Not sure what they changed but it needs to be fixed.
  • The Beta was really promising and I was really starting to think that the online gaming in NHL 19 was going to have a major improvement comparing to earlier NHL games. The poking was pretty great even considering the fact that you might get a penalty on poke that didn't actually hit the skates of the opponents player. I could have lived with that. It's a video game after all. But AGAIN Ea chose to listen the most loudest group of players who propably don't even watch hockey in the first place and base their hockey knowledge on watching scores from NHL.com and not even knowing what purpose might a fourth line bring to a hockey team. I feel that poke checks aren't as bad as in NHL 18 but a lot worse comparing to what is was in the beginning in NHL19. I've played quite a few games online in HUT and already experienced poking puck through my players without the opponent getting a penalty from it. The same old "skill zone" playing where the player stands infront of his net and the AI takes away the passing lanes and lifts your stick and then somehow ( magically I'm asssuming! ) manages to take the puck from infront of your player and through his skates and skate away with the puck with absolutely nothing you can do about it. The AI also forchecks for them. Blocks the shots for them. You deke a guy and should be on a brake away but no, the AI gets the puck through you or pokes it away from behind your player. I actually thought that this was the year that when you went playing online you were going to play against a human player and not a team of AI's. Yeah sure, the AI doesn't constantly hit you like it did NHL 18 HUT but it is ridiculous for a game mode that should be about how good of a player one is and not how good your AI is performing. The stick lifting is not good, the update didn't bring that many penalties from it cause it people can still spam it like crazy. I lost count on the times my opponents did that without taking a single penalty and from several different angles just tap tap tap tap tap tap. Last year the best thing in HUT mode in my opinion was the ability to play with your friends and the position lock. I had friend playing locked as forwards and played the rest of the players myself and played against a lot of HUT teams that played like us. I know there were people who played position locked by themselves... well "played" and the some 90+ overal AI's took care of the rest but I think it would have been great if you still had kept the option of position locking if one of the players plays with the rest of the team when others are locked and took the option for position locking when playing solo completely away. It's a bit confusing to play with four friends and everyone controls everybody and comparing how easy it is to find a game when playing HUT with friends is a lot more harder and slower than in NHL18 and this is a new game. Offline gaming feels pretty much the same as it did in earlier franchise modes, I wonder has the cup celebration even been updated? Propably not. GM connected was something a lot of people were hoping for but I guess leaving it out and trying to force all the players into HUT mode is your goal these days. After buying the Ultimate edition of this game I feel really disappointed you chose to listen once gain to the group who wants an arcade hockey game and not a game that simulates hockey.
  • The stick lifting spam is far worst than poke spam. People do not get called for hooking in this game even after an onslaught of stick checks to the back of the head or in the back it’s pretty lame
  • NHLDev wrote: »
    VeNOM2099 wrote: »
    On the one hand, I agree that some tweaking was needed, especially with the DSS where if the puck holder skates THROUGH your outstretched stick, it would cause a penalty.

On the other, I was hoping there would be more time before a tuner update so that people could have time to adjust...

I'm still going to suggest to @NHLDev that a solution to the poke checking could be in greatly increasing the stamina cost for poking. If it cost 30%-50% each time you poke, people might not be so keen on machine gun spamming it. It would also be a good way to balance the play in ONES where people can mash the RB button because there's no rules or penalties. Same principle could be attached to DSS, where holding the stick out could slowly (but constantly) drain your stamina.

This would add a much needed element of strategy to stick play and poke checking specifically while not necessarily making either of them "bad".

The changes aren't that drastic in the grand scheme of things. The people benefiting the most should be those that were already adapting and not those that are playing reckless.

For the extended DSS, if you recognize you are going to put it through a players legs and let go, you can stop the penalty chance as we don't consider it a strong stick as soon as you start to blend out. I get that in real life there are times that a player would just push past that stick but that is why we let you go through one leg outside in and don't penalize during the blend out and consider holding it strong as if you are holding the player up and adding friction there. In future we could possibly recognize the velocity more of a swipe vs just having the stick in space, or hopefully handle it better with a more realistic physics reaction.

I could see us impacting stamina on pokes the more they are spammed. Right now, we slow you down the more you spam as you are impacting your skating but you are right that a stamina penalty could work in multiple modes. I wouldn't think this should be warranted for defensive skill stick though as it takes even more manual control and is something a lot of defenders hold out in lanes as they skate. We already have a max speed penalty in that state vs skating without it as well.

I understand your point Ben, and it does make sense to a certain extent. Sadly, it also benefits those who are not at all any good on D and those that insist on spamming.
  • guacapoli wrote: »
    You're insane if you think poke checking was "perfect" before. Absolutely insane.

There are still tons of tripping calls if you poke from bad angles. But now the dipsy doodle skaters won't go flying if the stick grazes their skates, which is must more realistic than how they would drop like they got sniped from a clock tower.

Penalized for poking from bad angles.... hmmm.... how dare they......

poke checking was fine, period. You see NHL players poking around as if they were holding a white cane???
  • I honestly haven't seen a difference in poke checking. I only play EASHL. I see tons of trips still. I have adapted to how this game plays and just try to body and nudge people off the puck or use the DSS to knock away the puck. Something definitely has to be done about the stick lift spamming as it's being abused with very little consequences.
  • I just played 5 games of VS and I have to say that the people who were worried about the poke check being nerfed, shouldn't be. As I and many have been saying from the get go, good positioning is rewarded. Button mashing results in penalties. Use the DSS and you will start becoming a much better defender.
  • No clue what this dude in the video is talking about. Poke's a quite rewarding now for pokes while you're in a decent position. Even when side by side with a player it almost seems like it's poking around the person to dislodge the puck, rather that go through his legs like a boulder. Just played a 3v3 AND 6v6 game and peeps are still picking up penalties for being poke idiots. Don't change it EA. It's literally perfect right now.
  • guacapoli wrote: »
    You're insane if you think poke checking was "perfect" before. Absolutely insane.

There are still tons of tripping calls if you poke from bad angles. But now the dipsy doodle skaters won't go flying if the stick grazes their skates, which is must more realistic than how they would drop like they got sniped from a clock tower.

poke checking was fine, period. You see NHL players poking around as if they were holding a white cane???
    And how many tripping calls have you seen in the NHL where the puck carrier isn’t moving his feet? Don’t make dumb blanket statements. There is 100% something wrong with tripping if you can trip a player who isn’t moving. I suggest you take your own advice and try watching some hockey
  • NHLDev
    1680 posts EA NHL Developer
    And how many tripping calls have you seen in the NHL where the puck carrier isn’t moving his feet? Don’t make dumb blanket statements. There is 100% something wrong with tripping if you can trip a player who isn’t moving. I suggest you take your own advice and try watching some hockey

There is a minimum speed for players to be able to be tripped in the game as one of the conditions.

• majjama_26
    175 posts Member
    edited September 2018
    guacapoli wrote: »

Don't feed the trolls. I remember watching this video when I was searching about the NHL 19 aggressive poke check penalties. It is spot on about the prior poke check and the people defending it with "Stop spamming", "Adapt!!"

https://youtube.com/watch?v=QR7rJaUQQHw

The poke check getting a penalty with his stick and the puck right in front of him at 1:17 is literally what I was experiencing at a defenseman in the game when confronted both by speeding players skating right at me or players standing still.
  • Kids win and ruin what was set to be a good game. How bout we talk about the stick lift. It has ZERO chance of penalty. Tonight eashl people mash the stick lift repeatedly with no penalty ever. Please make this game realistic...you play d with your body and position. You don't see 800 stick lifts in an nhl game. It has become unplayable.
  • pianopop wrote: »
    Kids win and ruin what was set to be a good game. How bout we talk about the stick lift. It has ZERO chance of penalty. Tonight eashl people mash the stick lift repeatedly with no penalty ever. Please make this game realistic...you play d with your body and position. You don't see 800 stick lifts in an nhl game. It has become unplayable.

I think the stick lifts are overdone, but the poke is literally fine now. Idiots with sticks are still getting called and people poking in great position have a chance to dislodge the puck without the 50/50 split in success or penalty.
  • Lmao just got the game the beta.was amazing.
  • majjama_26 wrote: »
    pianopop wrote: »
    Kids win and ruin what was set to be a good game. How bout we talk about the stick lift. It has ZERO chance of penalty. Tonight eashl people mash the stick lift repeatedly with no penalty ever. Please make this game realistic...you play d with your body and position. You don't see 800 stick lifts in an nhl game. It has become unplayable.

I think the stick lifts are overdone, but the poke is literally fine now. Idiots with sticks are still getting called and people poking in great position have a chance to dislodge the puck without the 50/50 split in success or penalty.

I kind of agree. But I think people over-used the poke check previously and this just further promotes that. a poke check should only be effective when in the right position for it. You start jamming poke check and you are not poking the puck, there should be consequences. Just my opinion.
  • ExSnake01
    466 posts Member
    edited September 2018
    Hotjoint wrote: »
    I honestly haven't seen a difference in poke checking. I only play EASHL. I see tons of trips still. I have adapted to how this game plays and just try to body and nudge people off the puck or use the DSS to knock away the puck. Something definitely has to be done about the stick lift spamming as it's being abused with very little consequences.

I found the poke checks a little bit more forgiving after the update. It's somewhat similar to 18 but it's still very punishable if your timing or position is off. I think this is the best EA can do as far as bringing the poke check penalties down a notch. I can't blame them and I agreed they should have brought it down a gear. I had two or three opponents yesterday still take a TON of them. A few rage quits too. A number of new players are still used to 18 spam pokes.

I watched a video of a guy in HUT literally spamming but not penalized but I can tell you for sure it would not have worked in versus. There's a possibility online versus plays different than HUT or EASHL because of so many differing opinions.

I just watched a real game with red wings and hawks yesterday when a player used his speed to get a breakaway. You can't really do that in NHL 19 currently. If EA is able to increase the speed slightly so the first quick steps actually work (the acceleration), I think they'll have a nice balance for the rest of the year until 20. Getting any breakaways this year is really tough. The stick lifts are simply too OP, needs to go down a notch as well.

Post edited by ExSnake01 on
  • The problem is they possibly "fixed" poke checks but completely broke stick lifts in the process. This has gotta be fixed asap. In EASHL word has spread and people spam the button as soon as they get within a few feet of you and even out of position or poorly timed results in no penalty.
  • VeNOM2099
    3178 posts Member
    edited September 2018
    For me, poke checks are "broken" in the sense that they are FAR too accurate in following the puck without actually aiming them.

@ExSnake01 the video you are probably talking about was from long time NHL streamer RealMiviens (or just "Mivs" to those that know him) and it was 100% doctored as he's poking from a safe distance, which is fine. What's NOT so fine is how without even inputing a direction on his Thumbstick the blade of his stick always follows the puck like a magnet, even while he's machine gun spamming the poke check.

This has been one of the BIGGEST issues I have with NHL since... well almost forever. There is no real penalty for just rapidly pressing the poke check. Sure, there's a slight slow down of the player now, but that's not really a solution. Causing tripping penalties is one way to teach the user there's some type of causality to his actions, but I think a better solution would be to just limit the amount of times he can press it in succession.

For one it looks absolutely RIDICULOUS in action to see a player incessantly poking over and over while following the puck handler everywhere he goes. For another it just creates frustration if the only penalizing factor is that he gets 2 minutes in the box while his team has a chance to bail him out on the PK. There should be either a cool down period between pokes or (again) the stamina cost for poke checking should be considerably higher than it is right now; thirty to fifty percent total stamina cost should be just about right to teach players to use it sparingly, without harshly punishing them. And if they don't learn and still use it excessively, well then they quickly run out of stamina and can't skate or poke check for a few seconds while their stamina recharges.
  • ExSnake01
    466 posts Member
    edited September 2018
    VeNOM2099 wrote: »

When I watched his stream, I was like "uh oh, we are going back to 18." But when I put it in practice during versus, I was getting penalties still. I had a handful of opponents yesterday still take a TON of tripping calls. I personally think pokes in online versus is perfect now.

Also I have to agree with EA as far as changing the poke checks from beta. The accuracy did NOT make any sense. They were simply too inaccurate.

I think the way players are rated and their attributes is giving people a different sense how these tuners affect the gameplay. In versus remember they are high overall pro rated players so maybe it responds better to the tuner updates compared to other gamemodes. It's either EA using different tuner settings for each game mode... and/or the attributes/player overall is affected from the tuners to varying degrees. I hope this makes sense.
    Post edited by ExSnake01 on