EA Forums - Banner

NHL 20 Content Update October 1st

Check out our latest content update, bug fixes & key areas on which we need your feedback here.

Defensive intercepts are inconsistent

Prev1
EpiCxOwNeD
587 posts Member
edited September 2018
As anyone else been in a good position, reading the play, just for the puck to go right through and onto the receivers’ stick?

https://xboxdvr.com/gamer/epicxowned/video/60595995

Here in the first clip, I noticed the the back door opportunity and thought I was in good enough position to intercept the pass. Also I was a defensive d man with hockey IQ 2 on and it’s like my guy never recognized the puck coming.

https://xboxdvr.com/gamer/epicxowned/video/60810316

Ones not enough but how about two players unable to pick off the pass. Best thing about both of these clips is they were both OT winners. Has anyone else had inconsistency about picking off passes?

https://xboxdvr.com/gamer/epicxowned/video/60555036

Just had to throw this one in. Nothing to do with the subject but come on.

Replies

• This has been an issue for years.
  • This has been an issue for years.

I know. It’s just infuriating losing games because of inconsistency. The first clip I knew what was gonna happen before it did and I couldn’t take away the scoring chance.
  • Agree 100% they need to reward positioning. Now that the poke check is insta trip it’s just one less tool we have, so positioning is more important than ever. I don’t talk in drop ins anymore because everyone blames the Defense.
  • RSall14
    501 posts Member
    edited September 2018
    It's pretty bad this year, the first clip happens way too often.
  • RSall14 wrote: »
    It's pretty bad this year, the first clip happens way too often.

Way too much. Frustrating knowing good hockey IQ isn’t rewarded.
  • What mode are you guys playing? In versus, my plays are intercepted all the time.
  • Prolly cuz their defensive attribute sucks. Snipers can't intercept, but defense can super easily.
  • RSall14
    501 posts Member
    edited September 2018
    I'm speaking from an EASHL stand point. It's not a lack of "defensive attributes" as I use a TWD.
  • VeNOM2099
    2518 posts Member
    edited September 2018
    Yes. I thought "seamless puck pick ups" were supposed to be fixed with the "new" skating engine. But they're almost as bad as they were in NHL 18.

*sigh*

It's especially bad in your own defensive zone when the puck keeps hopping to the opponent's sticks constantly.
    YouTube: VeNOM3099
    Twitch: twitch.tv/venom3099

• It's backwards...

Pucks are going thru skates and right under defender, but passes thru open lanes are getting intercepted.

WTH? Passes thru lanes should get thru, not thru the skates.
  • RSall14 wrote: »
    I'm speaking from an EASHL stand point. It's not a lack of "defensive attributes" as I use a TWD.

Keep in mind intercepting on the backhand isn't nearly as effective as forehand too.
  • VeNOM2099 wrote: »
    Yes. I thought "seamless puck pick ups" were supposed to be fixed with the "new" skating engine. But they're almost as bad as they were in NHL 18.

*sigh*

It's especially bad in your own defensive zone when the puck keeps hopping to the opponent's sticks constantly.

In the beta the pickups were great, it was amazing. Come release it has me feeling like its 18 all over again. Intended or not, something changed the pickups and they're pretty garbage again.
  • ExSnake01
    452 posts Member
    edited September 2018
    I wonder how EA tests the tuners after they make the changes?

Do they just take feedback and change accordingly without testing it in game? It's possible the other modes play different due to the player attributes/overall ratings.

Maybe they should consider different tuners for each game mode? I think the game play in versus is nearly perfect. Only two things really; bring the stick lifts down a notch, they're too op and slightly increase the first quick steps more. If they make pokes any more effective, we are going into 18 territory.
  • Here’s another one.

https://xboxdvr.com/gamer/epicxowned/video/61104263

Up by one goal in the dying seconds of the third period. Good positioning and still gets by me and the AI. Goalie made the save though and if he didn’t I’d be furious.
  • EpiCxOwNeD wrote: »
    Here’s another one.

Up by one goal in the dying seconds of the third period. Good positioning and still gets by me and the AI. Goalie made the save though and if he didn’t I’d be furious.

Thanks for posting. I can see how this especially looks weak in slow motion but in real time, the reaction time may have actually been pretty quick. Even if not powered up, that pass at say the base of ~40 mph is travelling 58-59 feet per second so you only have about 1/5th of a second to react to that pass assuming visually you are about 12 feet away. Player attributes come into play in that calculation as well and skate pickups take longer than just a quick defensive deflection with your stick to solve -- What player class are you using in this case and what traits if any?
  • NHLDev wrote: »
    EpiCxOwNeD wrote: »
    Here’s another one.

Thanks for posting. I can see how this especially looks weak in slow motion but in real time, the reaction time may have actually been pretty quick. Even if not powered up, that pass at say the base of ~40 mph is travelling 58-59 feet per second so you only have about 1/5th of a second to react to that pass assuming visually you are about 12 feet away. Player attributes come into play in that calculation as well and skate pickups take longer than just a quick defensive deflection with your stick to solve -- What player class are you using in this case and what traits if any?

I was using a power forward with no defensive traits at all. Let’s say if the pass was that fast from that close being the reason I didn’t intercept the puck, how come the it didn’t bounce off the receivers stick? It used be like that on old gen NHL games.

In this clip I posted above (which is already posted I know), I was using a defensive defensemen with hockey IQ2 on and still didn’t intercept the pass.
  • NHLDev
    1314 posts NHL Developer
    edited September 2018
    I was using a power forward with no defensive traits at all. Let’s say if the pass was that fast from that close being the reason I didn’t intercept the puck, how come the it didn’t bounce off the receivers stick? It used be like that on old gen NHL games.

In this clip I posted above (which is already posted I know), I was using a defensive defensemen with hockey IQ2 on and still didn’t intercept the pass.

In the first case, the receiver had that much more time to prepare for the pass and 40 mph isn't that fast in terms of receiving a pass clean.

That said, in NHL 16 is when we tried to go more sim with how easy it is to receive pucks from different angles, forehand vs backhand, etc. when it comes to cradling them and controlling them and the general population thought we weren't rewarding team play. So overall, as long as a player can react in time, they will receive a puck, you will only see it deflect off them if they couldn't play a pickup/pass reception in time. Offline, we see core franchise players that like trying to get something even more sim, dial up those effects and get more bobbles and things.

As far as your other clip, it is again slowed down, but looks like it was probably even less time to react if in real time, considering he would need to get his stick over to his backhand side in that time compared to the receiver who is getting the pass to where their forehand already is. If that same player build had the time your other video did, he may have made a play on it but since the play was that much quicker this time, it may have again been too quick even with the better build.

• NHLDev wrote: »

In the first case, the receiver had that much more time to prepare for the pass and 40 mph isn't that fast in terms of receiving a pass clean.

That said, in NHL 16 is when we tried to go more sim with how easy it is to receive pucks from different angles, forehand vs backhand, etc. when it comes to cradling them and controlling them and the general population thought we weren't rewarding team play. So overall, as long as a player can react in time, they will receive a puck, you will only see it deflect off them if they couldn't play a pickup/pass reception in time. Offline, we see core franchise players that like trying to get something even more sim, dial up those effects and get more bobbles and things.

As far as your other clip, it is again slowed down, but looks like it was probably even less time to react if in real time, considering he would need to get his stick over to his backhand side in that time compared to the receiver who is getting the pass to where their forehand already is. If that same player build had the time your other video did, he may have made a play on it but since the play was that much quicker this time, it may have again been too quick even with the better build.

I can see where you’re going from about having time to react. But the thing is in the defensive d man clip, my player should be player be able intercept the puck regardless of how fast the pass was. I was looking directly at the player while in the house. Any on ice pass like that in the real NHL would most likely be intercepted. In this case, I wouldn’t be mad if the player made a nice saucer pass to his teammate back foor. But for a pass to go through the slot like that in good position with a defensive build like I had is flawed in my opinion.
  • EpiCxOwNeD wrote: »
    I can see where you’re going from about having time to react. But the thing is in the defensive d man clip, my player should be player be able intercept the puck regardless of how fast the pass was. I was looking directly at the player while in the house. Any on ice pass like that in the real NHL would most likely be intercepted. In this case, I wouldn’t be mad if the player made a nice saucer pass to his teammate back foor. But for a pass to go through the slot like that in good position with a defensive build like I had is flawed in my opinion.

The main reason a lot of defensemen go down on 2 on 1's once they read a pass coming is because staying up and trying to intercept the puck clean would be a bigger risk and leave more holes for the puck to get through. The chance to react that fast and receive the puck is much less than trying to take away the space and hope it hits you. It isn't to say with some puck paths, it wouldn't be easier than others to get an interception but it all depends on how much reaction time and how much you need to move your stick to do it.
  • I agree strongly with OP that the interceptions still are very inconsistent.
    I am sorry the following clips are from HUT, but I hope this basic gameplay mechanic is the same across all modes?
    A breakout pass straight through an AI player:

OK, that's AI. Maybe I shouldn't be rewarded the interception since I'm not controlling that specific player? But then again, why should my opponent be rewarded for playing a terrible pass?

Pass straight through me:

A cross crease, straight through a human player:

I'm right in the passing lane facing the play and there should be plenty of time to react.

As for passing reception, I'd say that is better. Still there are some inconsitensy I really think could use a closer look.
    A pass going straight through my center:

And a fumble on what looks like a soft and easy pass to control

I'm trying to avoid bringing up once off bugs, these things happen quite often.
    They are rampant in HUT, which is why I'm done with that mode for a while, but also in Vs.
    All clips are from games on green connection.

I really appreciate NHLDev's inputs and are trying to put into practice the plays he suggest.
    The ideas he's explaining and the reasons behind those, all seem to make a lot of sense. It's only that they doesn't make it through to us end users.
    Sum of these clips is everyday, easy, well directed passes are punished, while bad passes straight to an opponent is rewarded. It's not always like this, but just as OP said it's inconsistent