EA Forums - Banner

EASHL Drop In Matchmaking. From Broken, to Meh, to Broken.

Replies

• There's also no excuse to require 7 button presses each time I want to look for a new game.
  • wildabeats
    posts New member
    edited September 2018
    Over 15min of waiting for 3v3 drop in and still cant get a match made!!! Paid like $120 for this game and cant even play the mode I like? U N A C C E P T A B L E ! ! !
  • Mattius14
    58 posts Member
    edited September 2018
    A lot of the issues for me seem to stem from not having a goalie with my squad, or being in a combination that is unlikely to find a goalie.

In 3v3, with a group of 4 with one goalie, we were finding matches instantly. As in, the timer didnt even show up. We were just in a lobby as soon as we hit the options button.

In 6v6, groups of 2-4 have the most success when a majority of us just choose "Skater" positioning, as you might imagine that just means that we are as flexible as possible and therefore will match up with a lot more lobbies. Doing this can take anywhere from 30s to 4 minutes to find a match, which I'm sure just depends on the actual traffic in matchmaking at the time. Naturally, when I pick goalie, things tend to go faster.

All of my experience thus far sorta leads me to believe what I don't like to admit: the lobby system may be fundamentally flawed. It seems to be performing more/less how it's intended... But it gives so much precedence to what the actual traffic is in matchmaking... It requires such specific circumstance to actually place you in a lobby. It almost feels as though this lobby system might work in a game that has a million concurrent users all the time... but EASHL just never has.

Of course, that's just my anecdotal assessment. At the end of the day, it's just not ideal. Maybe it can improve with tweaks, and I sure hope it does. But each day we go without some magic "fix", the more I start to believe that there isn't one.
  • I really wish EA had kept the old drop in system and just opened to it 20 spots so people who get in right away could pick an open position and the guys who troll or sit idle would be left sitting in the middle and the game could start. We would get full 6's games so easily then. I can't believe no one at EA thought of that idea
  • @Hotjoint You'd have a lot of groups that have one of theirs stranded in the middle, and then they'd all need to quit. Makes for lots of going in/out of menus. Not saying that it's particularly worse than what we've got now, considering all the issues...

But the old lobby system with a simple 15 second timer, like if you sit in the middle for 10/15 seconds then you're kicked out. I'd sign up for that. Add in a vote-to-kick feature that can be used during timeouts or between periods and you start to give the players the means to deal with the trolls.
  • Hell, even a mid-game menu where you hold the touchpad and get a radial menu. Kick, report, quick text... Wouldn't that be nice?
  • The fact that you can’t pick what server you want to play on in club or drop in is enough to put this game Dead On Arrival and have me asking for a refund. Just sad that this still isn’t sorted out.
  • The fact that you can’t pick what server you want to play on in club or drop in is enough to put this game Dead On Arrival and have me asking for a refund. Just sad that this still isn’t sorted out.

You actually CAN pick what server...

You can pick what server your clubs located but that doesn’t mean you will be playing on that server... I live in Az and get matched up against people from New York all the time
  • Gannmick wrote: »
    The fact that you can’t pick what server you want to play on in club or drop in is enough to put this game Dead On Arrival and have me asking for a refund. Just sad that this still isn’t sorted out.

You can pick what server your clubs located but that doesn’t mean you will be playing on that server... I live in Az and get matched up against people from New York all the time
    Well it probably searched through your server first then on to the next closest...I think that’s how it works
  • We paid for a beta lmfao
  • Mattius14 wrote: »
    Hell, even a mid-game menu where you hold the touchpad and get a radial menu. Kick, report, quick text... Wouldn't that be nice?

and how would that work on an xbox?
  • Mattius14 wrote: »
    Hell, even a mid-game menu where you hold the touchpad and get a radial menu. Kick, report, quick text... Wouldn't that be nice?

D pad.
  • Moxrox84 wrote: »
    Mattius14 wrote: »

D pad.

Dpad are for strats.
  • Please for the love of all things fix the drop-in. Not everyone can play Club. Never 6v6!!!!!
  • People who quit lobbies that are full 6v6 deserve a paddlin.
  • At least, for the first time since the game is out, I can play drop in. Found plenty of games this weekend with a very short waiting time.
  • Thegregbradley
    11 posts Member
    edited September 2018
    Don't understand why the drop in was changed anyway. EA has had the same system for NHL for like a decade.
    Yeah, towards the end of the games run it got a little swampy for drop in, but nowhere near the failure this change has been. So what if people dropped out? It was much less of a hassle to find new players/start a new game search than this system. Let's be honest, nobody is waiting 3-6 minutes to find a game. Searches are cancelled after a minute and a half or less I would bet. Really hoping they go back to the classic style.
  • So the thread is still active.

There seems to be a cycle of 3 types of matchmaking/lobbies you'll get. (Keep in mind, this is only for the 6v6 Drop Ins)

1. During most of the day, you'll have the matchmaking that gets the lobby together in about 5 seconds, but you'll get a actual 6v6 once every 30+ attempts, if ever.

2. There seems to be that 2 or 3 hour period of time, during the evening, where the matchmaking gets the lobby together in about 1~3 minutes, but it's a full 6v6 lobby every time... and you know what? I'll take the 3 minutes if it can be a sure shot 6v6 all the time. It's not optimal, but it sure beats the garbage @ #1 & #3.

3. After that sweet spot during the evening, the matchmaking just seems to stop working. You no longer find games. At all. "Failed to find..." is all you'll get... and the cycle begins anew the next day.

At this point, playing actual 6v6 is possible just a few hours per day. "But Malazzan", you say, "You said you could get some lobbies throughout most of the day, why do you say it's bad?". Well, my dear friend, it's because I don't feel like playing 4v3, 3v3, 3v2 in 6v6. If I want to play against bots, I'll go in Franchise, Be a Pro, etc... If I'm in queue for a 6v6, I expect a 6v6 or AT LEAST something close (5v5) where the ridiculous bots don't ruin the game.

This was "Number 1 priority" a week ago, some tuning and whatnot have come out since. What's the deal here? What's the ETA on a fix? I don't want the details of the issue, I'm no dev., it simply doesnt matter. I would just like the actual ETA on when we're looking at a fix. I don't play HUT, I'm not a whale. I already bought the game and it's too late for a refund, so just let us know already so we can shelf this aberration until it's in a appropriate state for us to play.
  • Malazzan wrote: »
    So the thread is still active.

There seems to be a cycle of 3 types of matchmaking/lobbies you'll get. (Keep in mind, this is only for the 6v6 Drop Ins)

1. During most of the day, you'll have the matchmaking that gets the lobby together in about 5 seconds, but you'll get a actual 6v6 once every 30+ attempts, if ever.

2. There seems to be that 2 or 3 hour period of time, during the evening, where the matchmaking gets the lobby together in about 1~3 minutes, but it's a full 6v6 lobby every time... and you know what? I'll take the 3 minutes if it can be a sure shot 6v6 all the time. It's not optimal, but it sure beats the garbage @ #1 & #3.

3. After that sweet spot during the evening, the matchmaking just seems to stop working. You no longer find games. At all. "Failed to find..." is all you'll get... and the cycle begins anew the next day.

At this point, playing actual 6v6 is possible just a few hours per day. "But Malazzan", you say, "You said you could get some lobbies throughout most of the day, why do you say it's bad?". Well, my dear friend, it's because I don't feel like playing 4v3, 3v3, 3v2 in 6v6. If I want to play against bots, I'll go in Franchise, Be a Pro, etc... If I'm in queue for a 6v6, I expect a 6v6 or AT LEAST something close (5v5) where the ridiculous bots don't ruin the game.

This was "Number 1 priority" a week ago, some tuning and whatnot have come out since. What's the deal here? What's the ETA on a fix? I don't want the details of the issue, I'm no dev., it simply doesnt matter. I would just like the actual ETA on when we're looking at a fix. I don't play HUT, I'm not a whale. I already bought the game and it's too late for a refund, so just let us know already so we can shelf this aberration until it's in a appropriate state for us to play.

Tuner was only for gameplay. I think we need a patch for matchmaking. As for the patch.. in one thread I heard October sometime. It was implied that a patch usually comes out in October as with past NHL games. Don't know though. Take that with a grain of salt. Unfortunely, with all the games releasing at the end of the year + the bugs in this game, I expect the playerbase to drop heavily. On XB1 where I play at least