EA Forums - Banner

I Don't like the Change to Drop-ins

Replies

• I agree @maplewooodnj... Well i wouldn't go so far as to say ruined. But gameplay wise this is definitely hands down one of the best titles since NHL 11.

Just sucks they greatly improved gameplay and went backwards in my opinion for drop in.

Are club people really bothered that we get to play a hockey.... Inside a hockey stadium.... With hockey gear? Lol.

• Dressing rooms need to come back, it makes zero sense. The outdoor "pond hockey" feel is kind of boring if you ask me, feels like it could have been an add on mode, not the entire game. Are we going to add roller hockey next? Broom ball? I just can't understand why they went this direction, I find myself already bored where I played other years until the bitter end.
  • IMO17
    35 posts Member
    edited September 2018
    I usually avoided drop ins in past games and just played club, but for various reasons club isn't really viable for me, atm. That said, my old eyes are having such a hard time following these plain white "jerseys" on this pond set up. Hate it.

The shadows on the ice along the boards, hate it.

Unless I'm missing something, having to listen to the same crap music repeatedly during the game, hate it.

The play by play is a bit stale, but better than silence so I can hear terribly voice acted audio emotes. Hate it.

This weak attempt at recreating NBA 2k's my park atmosphere just doesn't work. Let us choose our teams jerseys for the love of Jebus.

Matchmaking is also bunk. And the tuning of gameplay from the beta is a step backwards as well. Right when people are finally adjusting away from poke spam, EA brings out the nerf gun and the spam fest is back. Speed not nearly as explosive anymore. Major bummer.

[edited swear filter]
    Post edited by Socair on
  • May I ask why did you guys change the drop in feel?

It was the quickest AnD easiest way for us to get a hockey game in.

This boring outdoor stuff really strips me of the feel of an NHL game.

It has a complete bare bones feel to it.

I just don't understand the change. I truly don't.

I don't like the new drop in system at all. What was a nice convenient way to get my hockey fix with nhl teams and jerseys and stadium, is now literally going to require me to put in Unnecessary effort into finding a club that can work with my schedule and finding dudes who are ok with me being online for about max 2 hours a day. And them. Working with me playing OTHER games I have on my Xbox.

Like really? Sigh.

Hello to simply answer your question in regards to the change in drops. Which I implicitly hate! It all comes down to Adidas and their advertising dollars.
    EA and Adidas have employed various advertising techniques. Advergaming, Dynamic in-game advertising, In-game Advertising are a few techniques that are used here. This link explains how advertising works in games. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/In-game_advertising. We've been duped and I hope it comes back to bite EA in derriere!
    I whole heatedly agree with you. I love club but it can be very time consuming trying to get people on at the same time. With rotating work schedules people like me miss out on peak times to play. I loved the convenience of Drops and the relative ease of getting into a game quickly. ODR has absolutely no NHL vibe. Its depressing to look at these grotesque unsightly multicoloured goof suits. But many love the new "Barbie mode" Looking at the same two cabins and a bunch of trees how awesome is that?. The ODR ice surface is horrendous and faded out with a super hard shadow along the boards. This is not NHL!
    I generally play 1000+ drops a year. Not this year! Ive spent more time in these forums than I have playing the game.

This is one of my many analogies:
    Go to a nice bistro(EA) with a group of friends. Order your favourite steak dinner everyone is happy. (This is Club)
    Go to a nice bistro solo. Sir we have a table ready for you but its outside next to the dumpster. Unfortunately our menu is limited to chicken fingers people like you. Not to worry we made a deal with the chicken finger company. We are now happy to offer you chicken fingers that are cut into over 700 fun animal shapes. (This is Drops)

• IMO17 wrote: »
    I usually avoided drop ins in past games and just played club, but for various reasons club isn't really viable for me, atm. That said, my old eyes are having such a hard time following these plain white "jerseys" on this pond set up. Hate it.

Unless I'm missing something, having to listen to the same crap music repeatedly during the game, hate it.

The play by play is a bit stale, but better than silence so I can hear terribly voice acted audio emotes. Hate it.

This weak attempt at recreating NBA 2k's my park atmosphere just doesn't work. Let us choose our teams jerseys for the love of Jebus.

Matchmaking is also bunk. And the tuning of gameplay from the beta is a step backwards as well. Right when people are finally adjusting away from poke spam, EA brings out the nerf gun and the spam fest is back. Speed not nearly as explosive anymore. Major bummer.

[edited swear filter]

I couldn't agree more with your assessment of the state of Drops. I wear glasses also and I have completely boycotted drops now.
    I buy a game called NHL. Yet when I want to play in a multiplayer so-called casual mode its not NHL. It now just looks like a bunch of muttonheaded nincompoop bananas in pyjamas.
  • RayFinkle1515
    352 posts Member
    edited September 2018
    VIDSICIOUS wrote: »
    Hello to simply answer your question in regards to the change in drops. Which I implicitly hate! It all comes down to Adidas and their advertising dollars.
    EA and Adidas have employed various advertising techniques. Advergaming, Dynamic in-game advertising, In-game Advertising are a few techniques that are used here. This link explains how advertising works in games. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/In-game_advertising. We've been duped and I hope it comes back to bite EA in derriere!
    I whole heatedly agree with you. I love club but it can be very time consuming trying to get people on at the same time. With rotating work schedules people like me miss out on peak times to play. I loved the convenience of Drops and the relative ease of getting into a game quickly. ODR has absolutely no NHL vibe. Its depressing to look at these grotesque unsightly multicoloured goof suits. But many love the new "Barbie mode" Looking at the same two cabins and a bunch of trees how awesome is that?. The ODR ice surface is horrendous and faded out with a super hard shadow along the boards. This is not NHL!
    I generally play 1000+ drops a year. Not this year! Ive spent more time in these forums than I have playing the game.

This is one of my many analogies:
    Go to a nice bistro(EA) with a group of friends. Order your favourite steak dinner everyone is happy. (This is Club)
    Go to a nice bistro solo. Sir we have a table ready for you but its outside next to the dumpster. Unfortunately our menu is limited to chicken fingers people like you. Not to worry we made a deal with the chicken finger company. We are now happy to offer you chicken fingers that are cut into over 700 fun animal shapes. (This is Drops)

There’s no way the current format was for advertising dollars.

Right off the bat, The beta allowed for each and every user to wear whatever they want, and I don't believe Adidas was even there in the Beta. It was "NHL" and "CHEL" only. It wasn't until people complained about the confusing visuals between all the different tops people were wearing that they decided to make it these 2 default Home/Away Adidas hoodies you are seeing. So I'm not sure where you draw that conclusion

You're telling me that EA said "Hey lets spend time and resources making hundreds of jackets, parkas, hoodies, and jerseys and intentionally make it a problem so users can complain and we can implement these basic light/dark Adidas hoodies and reap that sweet sweet Adidas money!!!"

Take the conspiracy theories somewhere else man.

[edited for inappropriate phrasing]
    Post edited by Socair on
  • pghkev
    20 posts Member
    edited September 2018
    IMO17 wrote: »

[edited swear filter]

I couldn't agree more with your assessment of the state of Drops. I wear glasses also and I have completely boycotted drops now.
    I buy a game called NHL. Yet when I want to play in a multiplayer so-called casual mode its not NHL. It now just looks like a bunch of muttonheaded nincompoop bananas in pyjamas.

Some games it's nearly impossible to quickly discern who my teammates are.

[edited swear filter]
  • So I guess from reading people here that YOU CAN actually get into a drop-in game?
    Oh, that's right, I remember. It was able too, ONCE.
  • VeNOM2099
    3178 posts Member
    edited September 2018
    For my part, I kinda like the Outdoor Rinks and Gear for drop-ins.

Drop-ins have always been associated with playing shinny in our youth. Just a bunch of guys with regular winter clothes playing casual hockey. I can understand why EA decided to scale back the tops to just black and white (after all the complaining in the BETA), but IIRC, they also said their art department was going to look at ways to differentiate the gear so that it doesn't blend as much between teams. So potentially we could see the return of the different street gear in drop-ins and that would be really cool.

As for the venue, again, I like it. It's something different and is another way it sets drop-ins apart visually from club games. I don't disagree with having different locations for outdoor rinks that could cycle. Or maybe even just change the time of day on the same rink (morning, noon, evening and night). The ice surface can be a little too bright, but you should be able to adjust the colors, brightness and contrast on your monitor/tv to help a little.

The few things that bugs me about drop-ins are:

1 - The Matchmaking: it was fine during the BETA. Even with LOW population, it wasn't hard to find lobbies with 3-4 players waiting per side. And then there was enough time for each side to fill up with players. Now it's you wait a few minutes by yourself. You get thrown into a lobby of 1-2 or the players (I got thrown into a completely EMPTY lobby a few times even) and then there's only 30 seconds before the game starts. No time for the rooms to fill up with other players. Just go back to what it was in the BETA for now... It's the lesser of two evils.

2 - Post Game: Why was the action tracker removed? Why are we forced into leaving the game? Why can't we rejoin the same group if we quit out instead of waiting for the timer to run out? This is going to be a nightmare for LG games where someone has to stay after the game and take stats. Who thought this was a good idea???

3 - Players quitting: Why is this still a thing in EA's NHL?? Why is there still an option to QUIT in an online game? Why is it still possible to continue playing after the opposing goalie has left the game? It should be a forfeit, period!! Same if more than 3 players on the other team leave. Game should end in a forfeit. No one wants to play Drop-ins against the CPU.
  • I KNEW that EA would drop the ball on this. These problems were OBVIOUS during the beta. Yet when the full release dropped, ALL the problems were still there, like they weren't even looked at.

Now they are scrambling around pretending this is something new, reporting back once or twice on here with some lame excuses about it maybe being a local network problem for everyone. NO, I reported this MULTIPLE times (on here, Twitter, other platforms) to try and help out, and all I got was another slap in the face.

I'm calling it now... this won't be fixed for MONTHS, if at all. They just don't care about any game mode other than HUT (which surprise surprise has no issues).

Remember those broken/useless stick lifts a few years back? It took them 2-3 months to fix it if I recall correctly. Or those laser speed travelling goalies that took YEARS to get patched.

I was actually SHOCKED that they even ended the BETA without this getting fixed and becoming actually being playable. Whats the point of improving gameplay (I will admit it's much better), if we can't even get 12 players into a game?

EA: IF YOU DON'T FIX THIS, AND SOON, PEOPLE WILL LEAVE. WHEN PEOPLE LEAVE, OTHERS WILL LEAVE. It's a domino effect (network effect) that can kill your entire population of players within weeks. It would be an incredibly stupid thing to do in the month that the game is released. But you're EA, so at this point I expect nothing.

Enjoy the $100 you stole from me, but just remember, I will remember this. And will be vocal about it.

• VIDSICIOUS
    118 posts Member
    edited September 2018
    You're crazy if you think the current format was for advertising dollars.

Right off the bat, The beta allowed for each and every user to wear whatever they want, and I don't believe Adidas was even there in the Beta. It was "NHL" and "CHEL" only. It wasn't until people complained about the confusing visuals between all the different tops people were wearing that they decided to make it these 2 default Home/Away Adidas hoodies you are seeing. So I'm not sure where you draw that conclusion

You're telling me that EA said "Hey lets spend time and resources making hundreds of jackets, parkas, hoodies, and jerseys and intentionally make it a problem so users can complain and we can implement these basic light/dark Adidas hoodies and reap that sweet sweet Adidas money!!!"

Take the conspiracy theories somewhere else man.
    [/quote]
    @RayFinkle1515
    Don't talk to me about the beta. The beta is done and has absolutely no bearing on this conversation. The design team was still working on the barbie suits. There was no ODR also. Remember?? So take your beta comments somewhere else man.
    You're sorely uninformed or just completely blind to advertising in video games. Why don't you enlighten yourself and some research on the subject. I have already provided examples for people to do so. How much experience do you have in marketing and advertising? I can guarantee not as much as I do. This is no JFK conspiracy, its clever advertising. With significant advertising dollars from Adidas EA needed to find a way to implement them into the game. They were slotted into the new WOC. Where else would they put it? Lets just say that they weren't expecting the backlash from users complaining about clashing. And it was quite possibly a hot topic during the games development. They had no choice but to change the tops. Its a quick bandaid fix. Why put adidas on the hoodies? Why not the logo of the team Lions? Because of advertising dollars thats why!

Why is it that no other brands are featured in Drops?
    The boards are always used for Dynamic in game advertising. Yet there are no brands here in drops.
    What company do you think sells parkas and hats like the ones featured in Drops?
    Is this In Game Product Placement?
    Why has an EA DEV or member of the marketing team never discounted my claims regarding Adidas's role in WOC? They don't want people to know.
    EA likely earns CPM from Adidas also. Cost Per Thousand Impressions.

Post edited by Socair on
  • kapitanron wrote: »
    I KNEW that EA would drop the ball on this. These problems were OBVIOUS during the beta. Yet when the full release dropped, ALL the problems were still there, like they weren't even looked at.

Now they are scrambling around pretending this is something new, reporting back once or twice on here with some lame excuses about it maybe being a local network problem for everyone. NO, I reported this MULTIPLE times (on here, Twitter, other platforms) to try and help out, and all I got was another slap in the face.

I'm calling it now... this won't be fixed for MONTHS, if at all. They just don't care about any game mode other than HUT (which surprise surprise has no issues).

Remember those broken/useless stick lifts a few years back? It took them 2-3 months to fix it if I recall correctly. Or those laser speed travelling goalies that took YEARS to get patched.

I was actually SHOCKED that they even ended the BETA without this getting fixed and becoming actually being playable. Whats the point of improving gameplay (I will admit it's much better), if we can't even get 12 players into a game?

EA: IF YOU DON'T FIX THIS, AND SOON, PEOPLE WILL LEAVE. WHEN PEOPLE LEAVE, OTHERS WILL LEAVE. It's a domino effect (network effect) that can kill your entire population of players within weeks. It would be an incredibly stupid thing to do in the month that the game is released. But you're EA, so at this point I expect nothing.

Enjoy the $100 you stole from me, but just remember, I will remember this. And will be vocal about it.

Um, for the record, every single game mode has issues, including HUT and the auction houese.

But for the rest, can't really say I disagree.
  • RayFinkle1515
    352 posts Member
    edited September 2018
    Oh man. Where to even start with this....
    Don't talk to me about the beta. The beta is done and has absolutely no bearing on this conversation. The design team was still working on the barbie suits. There was no ODR also. Remember?? So take your beta comments somewhere else man.

Why does the beta have no bearing on this conversation? Because it doesn't support your argument? Your argument, that this entire new Drop-In format was created solely for EA to get extra $ from Adidas. So what about this quote from the pre-release tuner:
    "The first set of updates have been made after receiving your feedback during the Open Beta, and have already been implemented in NHL 19."...
    • The game now defaults to preset home and away tops in 6v6 instead of user assigned casual tops. This resolves visual confusion during gameplay.

Why would this be discredited? Why would I just assume "oh that's lies, they wanted it this way for Adidas money?"

On to the ODR. It was stated a few times on these boards during the beta that the ODR was planned and it was not ready in time for the beta, but will be there for the full release. So what? This was all a ruse set up from the summer to pull the old switcheroo so they can plug Adidas gear for that sweet Adidas money?
    You're sorely uninformed or just completely blind to advertising in video games. Why don't you enlighten yourself and some research on the subject. I have already provided examples for people to do so. How much experience do you have in marketing and advertising? I can guarantee not as much as I do. This is no JFK conspiracy, its clever advertising. With significant advertising dollars from Adidas EA needed to find a way to implement them into the game. They were slotted into the new WOC. Where else would they put it? Lets just say that they weren't expecting the backlash from users complaining about clashing. And it was quite possibly a hot topic during the games development. They had no choice but to change the tops. Its a quick bandaid fix. Why put adidas on the hoodies? Why not the logo of the team Lions? Because of advertising dollars thats why!

Here's where it gets tricky as your argument has changed. I would never deny product placement. It's everywhere. It's in the shows we watch and the games we play. Always has (well not before the movie E.T.) and always will. Adidas has the NHL contract, and this is an NHL game, so it's a no brainer it's displayed as much as it can be. But this hasn't been what you've been saying before. You have been claiming, in this thread and a few others, that the entire new format from its inception was made so they can plug Adidas for money. Again, I can go back and find those other threads where you make those claims.
    Why is it that no other brands are featured in Drops?

CCM, Bauer, and Warrior off the top of my head. Your created player can pick from any of those brands and wear their gear in game? Which are easily recognizable in every cut scene. Is that not the exact same thing?
    What company do you think sells parkas and hats like the ones featured in Drops?

So how do you explain all the "CHEL" gear? Theoretically every single player can chose gear from the "CHEL" category and we would have seen zero Adidas brand on clothing. That is, prior to the default hoodie fix. Perchance does Adidas sell this? https://imgur.com/a/3CkURDI or how about this one? https://imgur.com/a/zqe6xAg
    I love how you call me crazy yet have nothing to back it up with.

Meanwhile, most of what you're saying is completely anecdotal, informing other users that you know much much more than them about savvy marketing ploys. That's cool I suppose when you provide nice wikipedia links.

[edited swear filter]
    Post edited by Socair on
  • Agreed with everything you wrote OP.

My current issues are:

- Lobby system. The old system had a decent foundation that just needed some tweaking (automatic lobby loitering kick, vote to kick...)

- Post game experience (No action tracker, no same session lobby without waiting for the timer to expire)

- No ability to select Teams Kits

- No Commentary? (Commentary is stale, but it’s better than nothing. Atleast give players the option to turn off Commentary if players don’t want it

Please focus on quality of life features that would improve NHL, Rocket league sets an amazing precedent on handling grieiving by handing out short time bans

• Sgt_Kelso
    1325 posts Member
    edited September 2018
    VeNOM2099 wrote: »

The few things that bugs me about drop-ins are:

1 - The Matchmaking: it was fine during the BETA. Even with LOW population, it wasn't hard to find lobbies with 3-4 players waiting per side. And then there was enough time for each side to fill up with players. Now it's you wait a few minutes by yourself. You get thrown into a lobby of 1-2 or the players (I got thrown into a completely EMPTY lobby a few times even) and then there's only 30 seconds before the game starts. No time for the rooms to fill up with other players. Just go back to what it was in the BETA for now... It's the lesser of two evils.

I noticed this last night, because I had no team mates online, and wanted to play a few dropins. I tried several times to get into a game, either as a skater or goalie, and every time there were only 2 to 3 players per side in 6v6, and in the 30 secs or so, no new players filled the vacant places. Not a single time. So mostly people just backed out from the lobby, or played with 2 guys until either of them dropped out before the puck dropped or after it.

In the beta, you had people dropping out and getting in the whole time the timer was running, so mostly they were full... until the it crashed or the game started.

Is this not a thing anymore, or did the population just happen to be that low during a 'prime time' on Saturday? Did they change this from beta in order to make the lobbies actually work? It's not much of an improvement though.

Yesterday seemed pretty quiet anyways, and I got several 'failed to retrieve data' errors when trying to open the chel menu, so there was probably something going on with the servers.
  • Yes. Solo drops are broken
  • Sgt_Kelso
    1325 posts Member
    edited September 2018
    I noticed also that the spot you get seems pretty random, I chose SKT, and was put in as LD, and there were only RD and G in my team filled. In the beta, forward spots were almost always unavailable. Why can't you choose your spot from the free ones, especially if you haven't limited your choice from the beginning?

I guess there just arent enough players atm: there's the dressing room error issue and matching problems, some people don't like to play drop-ins in clown gear, some people don't like being forced to use the adidas hoodie in 6vs6 so they rather play 1v1v1 or 3v3, and then theres the club players with their frustrations. The're just too many options and dislikes, so the player base is too fragmented, and getting smaller and smaller. So the devs have dug themselves in a hole. Is this game done already?

Hopefully they can fix the worst bugs before the situation is beyond fixing.
  • I have just about had it with wearing Adidas hoodies and parkas in outdoor rinks in EASHL.
    I have also had enough of that cutscene of that shed between faceoffs.
    What were they thinking?
    It was cute in the beta, and for awhile in the full game, but it doesn't feel right anymore.
    I also can't stand all the clutter in the lobbies. Profile avatar, level, PSN name, and 3 trait slots - am i forgetting something?! - for ALL players while waiting? That's a TMI special and it's so indicative of society today. Clutter on ESPN, CNN, etc.
    But my main gripe is the outfits replacing jerseys and indoor rink. It sucks now.
  • I forgot to add that it's impossible to play again with the 5 or so we had in the previous game.
    We are directed back to the main menu every time.
    Why?
    The beauty of drop-ins with randoms is sometimes you get the perfect match and would like to play again with some players. We can't do that now.
  • I didn't see this post. I posted something similar. It feels so empty now. I even wonder why the lobby chatter was removed late in the '18 season. There were some classic moments! They flucked this up and must change because this was my favorite mode.
    Anyone have a problem with 3's stats couple with EASHL stats? Seems cheap to me.