EA Forums - Banner

NHL 20 Content Update October 1st

Check out our latest content update, bug fixes & key areas on which we need your feedback here.

Can getting shoved off the puck from behind get a nerf?

Prev13
I play as a big forward in EASHL and I’m getting sick of getting nudged from behind that causes me to lose the puck. It makes no sense how a shove from behind causes you to lose the puck. especially the Ai. No matter what size you are against the Ai, a tap will cause you to lose the puck. It’s frustrating

Replies

• Yeah its a big issue right now...honestly whatever tuner they used for the first 6 days of the beta...should be whats implemented.

It’s ridiculous and beyond annoying to lose a puck like that. They need a tuner to nerf stick lifts and shoves from behind.
  • My favorite is when the puck just stops or goes backwards from it 😂
  • Axel_Owretchsin
    289 posts Member
    edited October 2018
    Admirable to post, and I'm glad people also see this, but I've been posting about this for years and EA doesn't seem to listen or watch hockey to know that even guys like Kane, Gaudreau can maintain puck or draw penalties by positioning their backs to opposing players. CPU can even successfully stick lift directly from behind.

And no, balance, puck possession, ect. sliders don't do enough/aren't enough. EA simply needs to program the game and understand hockey better.
  • Admirable to post, and I'm glad people also see this, but I've been posting about this for years and EA doesn't seem to listen or watch hockey to know that even guys like Kane, Gaudreau can maintain puck or draw penalties by positioning their backs to opposing players. CPU can even successfully stick lift directly from behind.

And no, balance, puck possession, ect. sliders don't do enough/aren't enough. EA simply needs to program the game and understand hockey better.

Right? As you said about Gaudreau, he may be one of the smaller guys in the league, but he can certainly hold off attackers by turning his back to them making it difficult to the puck away. I just can’t stand being in open ice about to shoot or pass and a smaller player shoves me off the puck.
  • The auto lock on with the right stick needs to make the way of the dodo as well
  • Don’t you remember me posting this clip last year in response to people who complained about ‘bubbles’ and not being able to knock players off the puck?

We are very aware that people can hang on to a puck when they limit the relative speed of the collision, are prepared for the hit and that attributes of a player should impact this as well.

Watch in the clip of Nyquist though and there are times it is incidental shrug offs and some stumbles that are slightly bigger where he needs to regain possession of the puck after gaining balance.

This is all included in our product and with the new physics system is much more realistic in terms of how we can handle incidental contact on up to bigger reactions with the unique limb tensions, etc.

If you are moving your feet, you aren’t as balanced as if you are in a glide and getting hit towards the puck rather than away from it increases your chance at keeping possession.

Of all the hits from behind in our game that cause stumbles, through telemetry that we looked at today, right now we see players play stumbles where they can maintain control of the puck when hit from behind about 40 percent of the time.

It is certainly something we will continue to look at the balance of like everything else but it is different than the past as that same tuning is what allows players to get separated from the puck better when rubbed out along the boards etc which has been really well received and is as it should have been.

You will see players that are very aware of how to control the relative speed of a collision, and position themselves in such a way that they can regain control of the puck even if they stumble a bit more have a lot of success controlling the puck, even with the current tuning.

We are going to let people play more with the new system before we dive in to too much tuning around that but it is something we are tracking and have a lot of control over if we want to try some things in the future.

• I understand that, but the puck stops. Please explain that then or how a stick lift from behind can stop a puck while in motion and at full speed.
  • NHLDev
    1314 posts NHL Developer
    edited October 2018
    If the puck appears to stop, it means the player still had possession for a bit when he got hit and lost possession further into the stumble. If he loses possession right away, such as when you hit a player away from the puck (i.e. hitting a player that is skating straight at you), you will see the puck continue at the velocity it had on the frame of the collision and continue down the ice as the player themselves are stopped in their tracks. But imagine, the player still has possession as he gets hit and in the hit reaction is moving his stick to the side as he himself slows down, the puck then comes loose at that new speed/angle that it was at during the frame it was lost.

The stick lift could be the same thing but I would need to look closer at the case. Usually it will continue to move relative to it's velocity that it was moving on the frame it was officially out of possession as well.
  • FatKidd5151
    93 posts Member
    edited October 2018
    I understand that too, I’ve had the computer check me from behind and the pucks stops. That has happened on numerous occasions in hut, pro level on up. I only say pro, because of the Gatorade challenges. I love the skating and almost everything about this years game. Just this makes no sense to me and it’s sucking the fun out of it.
  • NHLDev wrote: »
    Don’t you remember me posting this clip last year in response to people who complained about ‘bubbles’ and not being able to knock players off the puck?

We are very aware that people can hang on to a puck when they limit the relative speed of the collision, are prepared for the hit and that attributes of a player should impact this as well.

Watch in the clip of Nyquist though and there are times it is incidental shrug offs and some stumbles that are slightly bigger where he needs to regain possession of the puck after gaining balance.

This is all included in our product and with the new physics system is much more realistic in terms of how we can handle incidental contact on up to bigger reactions with the unique limb tensions, etc.

If you are moving your feet, you aren’t as balanced as if you are in a glide and getting hit towards the puck rather than away from it increases your chance at keeping possession.

Of all the hits from behind in our game that cause stumbles, through telemetry that we looked at today, right now we see players play stumbles where they can maintain control of the puck when hit from behind about 40 percent of the time.

It is certainly something we will continue to look at the balance of like everything else but it is different than the past as that same tuning is what allows players to get separated from the puck better when rubbed out along the boards etc which has been really well received and is as it should have been.

You will see players that are very aware of how to control the relative speed of a collision, and position themselves in such a way that they can regain control of the puck even if they stumble a bit more have a lot of success controlling the puck, even with the current tuning.

We are going to let people play more with the new system before we dive in to too much tuning around that but it is something we are tracking and have a lot of control over if we want to try some things in the future.

I agree with most of what you are saying here. People only want to find certain ways to play and don't have the ability to adapt to anything new. My only suggestion on changes are listed in the post I made yesterday. Aside from the poke checking, which is still terrible, everything i listed has been going on for years, even dating to last gen. The fact skating has improved, minus all the backwards skating with the puck, is a great foundation to build upon. The sad thing is that most of the top tier players aren't on these forums so you can't attain the input from the people who play the game religiously and are your most loyal consumers. If there was a way to reach out to that particular crowd, the game could reach ever greater heights in a shorter period of time. Thanks for reading!
  • NHLDev
    1314 posts NHL Developer
    edited October 2018

I agree with most of what you are saying here. People only want to find certain ways to play and don't have the ability to adapt to anything new. My only suggestion on changes are listed in the post I made yesterday. Aside from the poke checking, which is still terrible, everything i listed has been going on for years, even dating to last gen. The fact skating has improved, minus all the backwards skating with the puck, is a great foundation to build upon. The sad thing is that most of the top tier players aren't on these forums so you can't attain the input from the people who play the game religiously and are your most loyal consumers. If there was a way to reach out to that particular crowd, the game could reach ever greater heights in a shorter period of time. Thanks for reading!

This forum is only one piece of our engagement with the community. We don't limit our communication channels to these boards at all. It is one place where I can write about certain pieces of our development but outside of NDA's we are very limited in what we can say anyways -- unless it is to speak to things that are already released but most people want to chat about what we may do next.

Our gamechangers program is one piece that allows us to be much more candid with certain members of the community due to them signing NDA's and through that we also get a lot of insight into different core sub ecosystems of the community.

• Being gently pushed in the back by a non moving player I just skated by(especially AI) should never cause me to lose the puck AND for the puck to stop dead or even somehow shoot back behind me. My stick and body are behind the puck pushing it forward, it defies physics to lose the puck back behind me when someone pushes me in the direction Im already going.

Notice in your clips when hes being pushed and briefly loses the puck that it goes forward or sideways so he can regain control. That isnt what happens in your game.

I get the feeling you know that and want people to be able to defend at way too high of a level from behind.
  • NHLDev wrote: »
    Don’t you remember me posting this clip last year in response to people who complained about ‘bubbles’ and not being able to knock players off the puck?

Thanks for the response and example, but that Nyquist stuff is just not gonna happen in NHL 19. Especially not against a CPU. Getting pushed against the boards will stop you and the puck. You'll lose possession.

I only play EASHL. Idk how it allegedly works in other modes.
  • Yeah I have to agree, I play EASHL exclusively and I've moved away from guys with momentum, kept the puck away with the most body inbetween as possible while gliding and as a smaller 5'8 Dangler I find myself getting nudged on the backside by even the lightest of shoves and end up being stuck in stumble for so long that by the time I've recovered the guy is hitting me again or possessing the puck himself. I know being smaller and having a weaker balance and strength stat makes a difference in that regard but can't us small guys be rewarded for doing all the right things as well?
  • When I pick the grinder build, if I get shoved by ai or humans, especially if they are in poor position or behind me, I still keep the puck, even if I lose control for a bit, I regain it right away.

I have a clip if I need to post it...
  • You make nudges from behind hits like Bertuzzi on Moore. Paralyze the player and make what should be a protected puck end up on the opposing players stick to turn up ice. I mean seriously do you guys ever gets hand on with the real game to see how hard it is to do half these things?

Also should work on increasing charging