EA Forums - Banner

Bug with left stick/delay?

RSall14
579 posts Member
edited October 2018
During EASHL there are times where I feel like I aimed one way and my shot goes the other. Went into offline VS and tested out a couple different shots. I'll have my LS positioned at 5 o'clock and roll it to 7 as the puck is traveling towards me. When I go back into instant replay and look at the sticks it shows me reaching 7 o'clock before the puck arrives and the game has an almost transparent target still left on 5. Mind you there's about a half second gap where I'm just sitting on 7 o'clock from the time the puck gets to my stick. The shot launched at 5 o'clock as opposed to 7, this occurs no matter the shot type. This leads me to believe there's some delay on the LS or the game reads the inputs too slow. The other possibility being a shortened window of opportunity to change your aim compared to past games.
Post edited by RSall14 on

Replies

• majjama_26
    175 posts Member
    edited October 2018
    Nvm. Wrong stick.
  • sgiz1
    537 posts Member
    Input delay/latency, its been a plague on this game for years now, your inputs don't register immediately, your player attributes don't calculate immediately, etc.

It's EA side (server/net code).
  • NHLDev
    1677 posts EA NHL Developer
    There is actually delay in that controller vis unfortunately. The code for it hasn’t been updated since it went in and the outward facing rendering of that feature isn’t as on point as the actual inputs.

We have debug vis that is 1:1. It would be nice to update that outward facing vis to work more accurately, add more controls to it, as well as have the ability to see the input of all players like we can do with the debug vis.
  • NHLDev wrote: »
    There is actually delay in that controller vis unfortunately. The code for it hasn’t been updated since it went in and the outward facing rendering of that feature isn’t as on point as the actual inputs.

We have debug vis that is 1:1. It would be nice to update that outward facing vis to work more accurately, add more controls to it, as well as have the ability to see the input of all players like we can do with the debug vis.

When will it be updated?
  • RSall14
    579 posts Member
    edited October 2018
    NHLDev wrote: »

Is this new to 19? I didn't feel like it was this bad in 18, it's very noticeable in this years iteration.
  • NHLDev
    RSall14 wrote: »

Is this new to 19? I didn't feel like it was this bad in 18, it's very noticeable in this years iteration.

Possibly that the input improvements to the game itself made it stand out even more. I have always seen it as a bit delayed and I feel that trailing circle that was probably put in to show the motion of how you got to where your current stick position was always seemed to throw off precision compared to what we see in our debug vis that we use during development.
  • NHLDev

When will it be updated?

No set plan for it right now but it is something that has always been on our lists as something we would like to improve. Hard to argue it moving up over some of the other more critical gameplay improvements/fixes that have gone in over the years though.

When will it be updated?

No set plan for it right now but it is something that has always been on our lists as something we would like to improve. Hard to argue it moving up over some of the other more critical gameplay improvements/fixes that have gone in over the years though.

Seems like this would be a priority..
  • RSall14
    579 posts Member
    edited October 2018

When will it be updated?

Seems like this would be a priority..

It should be at the top, it effects everything we do.
  • TTZ_Dipsy
    442 posts Member
    edited October 2018

Lol for real, that isn't a priority for you? smh
  • NHLDev
    I think you are confusing things. You were seeing a delay in the replay control vis and thinking that was actual controller delay but it isn’t. If it was, of course that would be our top priority and things like that always are. This year we made changes to inputs and it is actually the best it has been.

There is a visual delay at times in the visual controller vis overlay that you were looking at due to the ghosting effect but it is still pretty darn close. It just can’t be used as frame to frame accurate as our debug vis that we use internally to look at what is pressed frame to frame.

That is what I was saying was not top priority to fix over other things. Apologies for any confusion there.
    I think you are confusing things. You were seeing a delay in the replay control vis and thinking that was actual controller delay but it isn’t. If it was, of course that would be our top priority and things like that always are. This year we made changes to inputs and it is actually the best it has been.

There is a visual delay at times in the visual controller vis overlay that you were looking at due to the ghosting effect but it is still pretty darn close. It just can’t be used as frame to frame accurate as our debug vis that we use internally to look at what is pressed frame to frame.

That is what I was saying was not top priority to fix over other things. Apologies for any confusion there.

I figured it was something like this. If that's the case why did my player not shoot where I told him to? Ghosting was on 5 o'clock but I was sitting at 7 and yet the shot went out at 5.
  • NHLDev
    Could be error and coincidence in this case that the error went to 5 but hard to say for sure.
  • RSall14
    579 posts Member
    edited October 2018
    Could be error and coincidence in this case that the error went to 5 but hard to say for sure.

I think you guys should take a look into it. If you switch fast and shoot immediately it'll still come out at the transparent spot. For example, I could cut into the slot and have my LS at 12, quickly aim it to 9 or 10 and the puck will shoot at 12. I feel like the LS is dragging behind and it can't follow inputs as fast as it used to on last gen.
  • NHLDev
    edited October 2018
    It depends on when you press shoot and how long after it takes you to roll to that new position. The shot location will update for the first few frames of the shot but there is a certain point where it locks in. I find you can still change pretty late and get what you want -- this happens the most when deking with quick direction changes vs where you want to shoot or even when shooting against the grain. We do lots of tests like this with our debug builds actually.

Another example like this is passing. We take your left stick direction at the moment you release the trigger, not when the pass animation releases afterwards like we used to. We made that change a few years ago so that players could control what they wanted the next player to do quicker, without worry of disrupting the pass. So you can release to neutral right away for example if you want the upcoming receiver to stand still. Doing that in the past would have updated the pass target to then pass to neutral (which was directly in front of the passer at the time) rather than where you were aiming before.
    Post edited by NHLDev on
  • Kuus2
    213 posts Member
    edited October 2018
    Another example like this is passing. We take your left stick direction at the moment you release the trigger, not when the pass animation releases afterwards like we used to...

I am sorry, but in practice that is not the case? Everytime my guy for any reason holds the pass I EVERYTIME pass to the direction I want to skate to?

I wrote about that in July:
    https://forums.ea.com/en/nhl/discussion/comment/1969682/#Comment_1969682
  • NHLDev
    Kuus2 wrote: »

I am sorry, but in practice that is not the case? Everytime my guy for any reason holds the pass I EVERYTIME pass to the direction I want to skate to?

It tends to work for me. We had the change put in because people wanted to release the left stick right away to ensure their receiver would stay still in cases such as snapping the puck around on the PP and not risk them receiving the puck in such a way that they wanted to skate in the direction they were previously pressing to make the pass. It seems to still work as expected testing it out right now so would need to see your use cases where you aren't having as much success.

I was able to get my player to pass in a new direction if I changed direction fast enough but I couldn't be sure I wasn't moving my left stick before I fully let go of the pass trigger when that was the case, which would be as designed.

If you can share more details, it may help to track it down.
  • Kuus2
    213 posts Member
    If you can share more details, it may help to track it down.

Seems to happen in loose puck or pass from goalie situations. In WoC Threes I attempted to call for a pass from the goalie, but since goalie was passing already it turned into a pass. I am sure I asked for the pass while still skating down, and turned towards the boards after releasing R2. Pass went into the direction I was skating.