EA Forums - Banner

NHL 20 Content Update October 1st

Check out our latest content update, bug fixes & key areas on which we need your feedback here.

Trash gameplay

This game is not enjoyable. The gameplay is trash. The only way to be good is to exploit the game. Now I see why all my friends still play nhl 15. Logic of this game is horrible.

Replies

• sgiz1
    535 posts Member
    The game has been dumbed down by EA over the years in an effort to equalize results to some extent, games are closer now adays regardless of skill, more pucks are finding their way into the net resulting in stressful grind after stressful grind even when dominating a game.
  • sgiz1 wrote: »
    The game has been dumbed down by EA over the years in an effort to equalize results to some extent, games are closer now adays regardless of skill, more pucks are finding their way into the net resulting in stressful grind after stressful grind even when dominating a game.

What was the last game you really enjoyed man, was it really NHL 12?
  • sgiz1
    535 posts Member
    'What was the last game you really enjoyed man, was it really NHL 12? "

Hey, to each their own..however yes, NHL 12 was the last year I had a blast playing this game,,, this year is the best since 12.. But this was the last year EASHL club was robust, competitive, largest cult like community, hay day of VHL then LG, etc.

The game may not have been as realistic as it is today, but it was just flat out fun to play.
  • NHL 13 was my favorite as far as Vs play, it was the best sim we have had, this years game is going in the right direction for the series though.
    'What was the last game you really enjoyed man, was it really NHL 12? "

Hey, to each their own..however yes, NHL 12 was the last year I had a blast playing this game,,, this year is the best since 12.. But this was the last year EASHL club was robust, competitive, largest cult like community, hay day of VHL then LG, etc.

The game may not have been as realistic as it is today, but it was just flat out fun to play.

And if you try this game today, do you still feel like that's something you could play regularly, every day?
  • sgiz1
    535 posts Member
    "And if you try this game today, do you still feel like that's something you could play regularly, every day? "

I only play EASHL Club, so it all depends on the fun factor for the other guys I play club with. NHL 19 had us curious with the new skating, enjoying it.. The poke check trip fest was annoying but we learned to just not poke check, then the overpowered stick lift just about had us quit playing but since they fixed that issue were back playing again and over the past few nights we've had the most fun we've had so far playing NHL 19 so it's in a good place right now.

Still input delay issues, but best game in terms of speed and skater control since NHL 12.
  • RSall14
    503 posts Member
    edited October 2018
    sgiz1 wrote: »
    "And if you try this game today, do you still feel like that's something you could play regularly, every day? "

I only play EASHL Club, so it all depends on the fun factor for the other guys I play club with. NHL 19 had us curious with the new skating, enjoying it.. The poke check trip fest was annoying but we learned to just not poke check, then the overpowered stick lift just about had us quit playing but since they fixed that issue were back playing again and over the past few nights we've had the most fun we've had so far playing NHL 19 so it's in a good place right now.

Still input delay issues, but best game in terms of speed and skater control since NHL 12.

You really think speed and skater control in this game is better than 13 and 14? Delay is already enough for me to put it in the bad category. No last gen titles had delay like the current games. The beta gameplay for 19 was great and looked to be the best current gen game, it changed for the worse after the first patch and then come release.

I wish I could give this post a 1000 likes. EA catered to the worst players and destroyed a great gaming community.
  • This game is most enjoyable when it's not being played. Simple as that.
  • I have been playing EAsport games since '93 and have always defended the NHL series to non believers, lol. When NHL 15 was released without EASHL, I understood the complications going from the previous console to the PS4 so I didn't complain. Even after 17 & 18 were essentially the same dam game, I didnt say a peep. Then the NHL 19 Beta was released and I was completely vindicated, the game among my pals was unanimously praised, the skating felt innovative, game play was smooth and in EASHL (I refused to call it that stupid made up word) your player finally felt like you had complete control over all of it's movements and not a table hockey cardboard cutout.

Since I enjoyed the skating, turning, shooting, puck pick ups, L2 movements plus the new 1's mode so much in the Beta, I was convinced to pre order the early version of NHL 19. Then the reviews came out which only reinforce my own beliefs, the reviews all recommended the game BECAUSE OF HOW THE NEW SKATING FELT but two weeks after the release EA gives us a tuner patch which completely destroyed the game, now NHL 19 feels practically like NHL 18 only with Dressing room errors. I knew eventually a patch would come out nerfing the stick lift or to bring back poke check spamming but NEVER did I think that EA would ruin the new skating mechanic thus taking away the best achievement in an NHL game since the introduction of EASHL......HOW DOES THIS HAPPEN?!?!?

Why would EA listen to the complaining thirteen year olds who can't even afford to buy this game on their own? I've been a paying customer for over two decades, I have disposable income that I choose to spend on the NHL franchise each year so then why do I feel like my input isn't as important as the players who only play the game after receiving it as a gift at Christmas from grandma? My buddies warned me that EA would do this "they always make a major improvement, then nerf it in an update" they told me but I refused to listen. The new introduced RPM engine bought realistic skating physics, during the Beta and at the games release you couldn't really catch up to another player if they had a step on you but after the patch it doesn't matter how small or big your player is, we're all the same speed regardless of positioning.

I was so impressed with this game pre patch so PLEASE EA, start ignoring the usual crew of thirteen year olds who you incorrectly believe are the core consumer base for your product, let them whine about the game being more simulation then arcade game. PLEASE change the skating back to how it was and always should be or just know I will not be buying the next version. I look forward to reading a reply, thank you.
  • djneohockey
    674 posts Member
    edited October 2018
    But they haven't changed the skating since beta. That is a fact.
    Now with this fact in mind, how would you explain what you feel?
  • sgiz1
    535 posts Member
    edited October 2018
    "But they haven't changed the skating since beta. That is a fact.
    Now with this fact in mind, how would you explain what you feel?"

Then it must be a server traffic issue/latency... More people playing than in beta. This is still on EA, they need to increase the capacity of the servers so its not traffic jammed and add more server locations.

• VeNOM2099
    2527 posts Member
    edited October 2018

They didn't change it per se, but they introduced slight tweaks to the settings both in the patch and in the tuner that impacted it. They also did NOT fix the "swivel" (as we NHL 2K veterans used to call it) or what Ben calls "lateral acceleration" which makes the players turn 360° on an axle, kinda like a tabletop hockey player.

It's been the bane of this game since forever. It was cute back in the 90s when this game saw the light. It was even sort of ok in the early 2000s. But today? Why do we still have a skating mechanic that dates back 25 years?? It's dumb. It's asinine. It's frustrating. It's 150 000% unrealistic. Nobody likes it. Everybody hates it.

Get rid of it, EA. Fix it, EA. Make your game better and people will be showering you with praise instead of posting hate messages.
    YouTube: VeNOM3099
    Twitch: twitch.tv/venom3099

• It looks like this is common across all EA titles. I play Fifa and Fifa 19 has the worst gameplay and many in the community didnt think it could get worse than Fifa 18. The game mechanics are made for casuals, AI is overpowered and overrides user control all in an attempt to keep games artificially close.
    Its pathetic really.
  • But they haven't changed the skating since beta. That is a fact.

I'm sorry but you are mistaken, they absolutely changed the skating mechanics my friend. In the beta & at release your player while playing in EASHL felt like each body movement was separate from each other but now it's back to feeling like you're controlling a zamboni.

In NHL 18 your player felt like a table hockey cardboard cutout and I am a reliable source since my club & I had over a thousand games played in NHL 18 but stopped playing it after the 19 Beta was released because of how great the skating, movement and turning all felt, it was impossible to go back and play NHL 18 again.

After the patch NHL 19 now feels just like 18 with Dressing room errors, moving as though your player is on a swivel. If you need more proof, please go watch game play video from the Beta or at release to video of EASHL games after the patch and you can clearly see the difference between the two. In the patch notes it lists the changes they made to skating specifically plus puck pick ups were also altered but instead of being improved, EA just made them worse which also effected how the skating now feels.

45707ppqvz8y.jpg
  • ice57man wrote: »

I'm sorry but you are mistaken, they absolutely changed the skating mechanics my friend. In the beta & at release your player while playing in EASHL felt like each body movement was separate from each other but now it's back to feeling like you're controlling a zamboni.

In NHL 18 your player felt like a table hockey cardboard cutout and I am a reliable source since my club & I had over a thousand games played in NHL 18 but stopped playing it after the 19 Beta was released because of how great the skating, movement and turning all felt, it was impossible to go back and play NHL 18 again.

After the patch NHL 19 now feels just like 18 with Dressing room errors, moving as though your player is on a swivel. If you need more proof, please go watch game play video from the Beta or at release to video of EASHL games after the patch and you can clearly see the difference between the two. In the patch notes it lists the changes they made to skating specifically plus puck pick ups were also altered but instead of being improved, EA just made them worse which also effected how the skating now feels.

45707ppqvz8y.jpg

ya to make it better
    You must unlearn what you have learned!
  • COGSx86 wrote: »
    ya to make it better

I'm finding it hard to tell but if you're saying the patch made the skating in NHL 19 better, then I would just assume that you are delisonal in your personal opinion. Then I would implore you to please continue to play NHL 18 so that the majority of us can keep playing 19 the way it was intended before the patch, lol.

That is all, have a great day and thank you.
  • I don't think the Devs purposely tried to make it worse, is what I think Cogs is saying. However it's clear that the tweaking made in the last updates changed some things for the worse.

The biggest issue with the skating right now is how players are spinning around again like they're on a swivel. It's been the same problem last year and the years before. Just turn down the lateral acceleration, turn up the ice friction so that players can cut into the ICE to change directions again instead of turning a full 360°.
    YouTube: VeNOM3099
    Twitch: twitch.tv/venom3099

• COGSx86 wrote: »
    ice57man wrote: »

45707ppqvz8y.jpg

ya their intention was to make it better
    Corrected?