EA Forums - Banner

EASHL - checks / bumps from behind

First off, want to say that I think the improvements to poke checking and stick lifts have made the game better. Coupled with incidental contact and better pass interceptions, positional defense is often rewarded (which it often was NOT with NHL 18).

One glaring flaw, though, with 19, is that bumping someone from behind leads to a turnover FAR too many times. First off, if someone shoves you from behind while you're skating, usually that is going to have a negative effect for the shover as it just propels you forward the direction you were going. In this game though, it brings you to a bump / stumble animation and you lose the puck more times than not.

Even if you throw a balance 2 boost on your player, you will be subject to this unrealistic and frustrating tactic opposing teams use. I understand that if you're at a standstill (in the corner or net front battle), shoving someone is a realistic tactic that can lead to a turnover. But while you're moving, shoving behind and it causes you to stumble, losing the puck just doesn't make sense. Bad defense shouldn't be rewarded.

Replies

• Agree 100% - it’s game breaking, along with all the other forced junk the games CPU makes your player do by overriding or ignoring your controller inputs. This will never be a competitive game where the outcome is determined by skill. Too much CPU involvement in the outcome of games. Perfect example is trying to dump the puck on a PK- I can’t tell you how many times I’m holding RB so long I would flip the puck over the opposite side glass, but in a close game your dump attempt goes 2 ft off the ice right to am awaiting opposing player.
  • It's a joke. Human players can check from behind, but have to work more for a steal. You can also out skate humans. However, the AI are the worst. It's becoming more apparent that the population in this game is poor and it'll only get worse when other great games start coming out. Tonight I was playing 6's, but with only two people per team. It's pathetic.

KeAUN9z.gif

hDG79kd.gif
  • Hitting from behind would be nice ... If a guy hits you in your numbers and you haven't immediately span by hitting the left stick or left trigger , it should be a hitting from behind ...
  • What kills me is that if I get hit in the numbers and stumble forward, that shouldn't stop my momentum and the puck's momentum. I should still be in decent position to recover, but hits from behind slow the puck down to an almost stop, which gives opposing players time to steal it. This shouldn't happen. Hit from behind penalty would be nice, if this game wasn't a penalty fest already.
  • TheMajjam wrote: »
    What kills me is that if I get hit in the numbers and stumble forward, that shouldn't stop my momentum and the puck's momentum. I should still be in decent position to recover, but hits from behind slow the puck down to an almost stop, which gives opposing players time to steal it. This shouldn't happen. Hit from behind penalty would be nice, if this game wasn't a penalty fest already.

When players get shoved from behind, it isn't a penalty, so why should it be one in the game? If you hit a guy from behind and lay him out, sure, penalty all day long, but not a shove. As for the puck stopping, you are correct. Happens much too often and should be fixed.
  • On those 2 clips, I have no issue with the push from behind knocking the puck loose. My issue becomes the puck being knocked loose backwards towards the checker. The puck should've kept going forward in both of those replays. The little bump disrupted the original play but shouldnt end it.
    EASHL player
  • mrmojorisin77
    41 posts Member
    edited October 2018
    It should interrupt a pass , a shot or a deke but not make you lose the puck or speed when you are only skating ( even more when you’re at full speed) .
  • Agree with the OP 100%.