EA Forums - Banner

Shooting Accuracy

Can someone please explain to me how you not, not hit the net?!

Is it just less (👍🕹)or more (👍🕹)?!

Thanks

Replies

• NHLDev
    1680 posts EA NHL Developer
    edited October 2018
    A few things weigh into shot accuracy and power. The player you are using has attributes that weigh into the mechanic as well as physical factors such as how in control you are (gliding vs skating/deking, etc.) and the angle you are moving vs the angle of the shot you are trying to take.

Shooting right after a deke when you have less control or shooting out of stride or against your momentum is going to hit your shot accuracy and power more than if you are able to get into a controlled state and shoot to an ideal angle.

Players with better attributes will find these things more forgiving so you will have more accuracy shooting right out of a deke with a high attribute player than a low one but in the end, the same physical factors weigh on all players so it will always be more advantageous to settle and get that ideal shot.

This is purely for shot quality though. Obviously taking time to settle gives the defense more time to recover as well as for the goalie to get into position, so you need to weigh the pros and cons of getting a less ideal shot off quickly vs taking more time to get a controlled shot.
  • NHLDev wrote: »
    A few things weigh into shot accuracy and power. The player you are using has attributes that weigh into the mechanic as well as physical factors such as how in control you are (gliding vs skating/deking, etc.) and the angle you are moving vs the angle of the shot you are trying to take.

Shooting right after a deke when you have less control or shooting out of stride or against your momentum is going to hit your shot accuracy and power more than if you are able to get into a controlled state and shoot to an ideal angle.

Players with better attributes will find these things more forgiving so you will have more accuracy shooting right out of a deke with a high attribute player than a low one but in the end, the same physical factors weigh on all players so it will always be more advantageous to settle and get that ideal shot.

This is purely for shot quality though. Obviously taking time to settle gives the defense more time to recover as well as for the goalie to get into position, so you need to weigh the pros and cons of getting a less ideal shot off quickly vs taking more time to get a controlled shot.

Speaking of shot power, can you explain why off of faceoffs, when I take a one-timer that is won directly to me, sometimes I get a laser beam of a shot, and other times it is only a half decent slapper? All of this if you take into account the same build and within the same game.

Thank-you.
  • NHLDev
    1680 posts EA NHL Developer
    Speaking of shot power, can you explain why off of faceoffs, when I take a one-timer that is won directly to me, sometimes I get a laser beam of a shot, and other times it is only a half decent slapper? All of this if you take into account the same build and within the same game.

Thank-you.

Is there a difference in if your player is planted vs moving into the shot vs fading away from the pass/direction you are shooting?

Can't be sure without seeing it but different faceoff win speeds/angles could cause those differences or what you are doing in skating/movement leading into the shot possibly as well.

Thank-you.

Is there a difference in if your player is planted vs moving into the shot vs fading away from the pass/direction you are shooting?

Can't be sure without seeing it but different faceoff win speeds/angles could cause those differences or what you are doing in skating/movement leading into the shot possibly as well.

Not really any movement. It is a one-timer directly off the faceoff from the centerman to me, LD. Basically the other team has barely enough time to move by the time I fire it.

I guess maybe there are times where my player might get pulled a few feet towards the puck. Could this be the difference? Also, it would seem like some faceoff wins come faster to me as other times. In other words, the velocity of the puck coming to me varies from faceoff to faceoff.

Thank-you.

Not really any movement. It is a one-timer directly off the faceoff from the centerman to me, LD. Basically the other team has barely enough time to move by the time I fire it.

I guess maybe there are times where my player might get pulled a few feet towards the puck. Could this be the difference? Also, it would seem like some faceoff wins come faster to me as other times. In other words, the velocity of the puck coming to me varies from faceoff to faceoff.

Yea I noticed this too...sometimes you'll get a laser beam oneT off the face of, other times it will be really weak like the shooter shanked it...I guess it's just an element of realism