EA Forums - Banner

NHL 19 Tuner 1.03 - Expected Availability October 24th @ 2am PST

Replies

• Still no mascot for EASHL? Cool.
  • Awhale06 wrote: »
    Please FIX the UNREALISTIC stick lift. Stick lifting from underneath an opponents stick equates to a penalty about 0.5% of the time in real life...

Just curious how often you use stick lift, i.e. do you use it as a form of defense in all situations because there is no counter..
  • Ducci1012
    3 posts Member
    edited October 2018
    Getting warmer, the changes to checking and pushing from behind without moment make things a lot better. But as others mentioned the slashing penalties are way too high. It's not just "abusing" stick lift, my AI players are getting slashing penalties at a comical rate. The CPU team doesn't have this problem, it doesn't make sense. Of course if I use it once it's a slash as well, so if I avoid it like the poke check at release (which is fine now, do not change), my CPU is still racking up 4-5 slash calls which means with the random other penalties I'm on PK for nearly a period. This is all offline, by the way.
  • Changes to the cpu in HUT are great, expect lots of hate though since the skillzone, trap, and cpu forecheck were legit strats for a lot of players, but this change is definitely for the better and creates a bigger skill gap. Seriously need to fix the pokes and the speed gap (honestly revert both of these to the way they were at release)
  • Nxckles
    92 posts Member
    edited October 2018
    THIS IS REGARDING EASHL, higher skill level 6s specifically. (and this is coming from a full-time D-man since NHL 09)

The current defensive + goaltending tools greatly outweigh offensive tools, and skating with the puck plays a part in it. While this new tuner tones down bumps a little (which is good), it doesn't have much of an impact on the overall gameplay.

It's still incredibly easy for teams to stack the blueline to prevent entries into their defensive zone using body checking, stick checking, and taking advantage of incidental contact. Dump and chase doesn't work since players standing still or skating slowly can reach the top speed very quickly and there isn't a ton of variance in top speed among various builds and heights/weights. And while it's been said many times that skating in a straight line with the puck negates the top speed penalty, making a minor change in angle while skating with the puck kills your speed in an unrealistic way making it very easy to defend against.

And if you do make it into the offensive zone, passes are easily intercepted, blocked, or poked regardless of positioning. Shots are often blocked just using your body without needing to kneel or lay down to block the shot. Shot accuracy seems to have taken a hit since the beta, especially one-timers. Maybe it's just the shot accuracy, but it seems pretty rare for a good shot to beat a goalie clean. It also seems like screening the goalie doesn't do much. The best strategy to score goals seems to be throwing a weak shot on net and hoping for a deflection, a lucky bounce that beats the goalie, or a rebound to a guy crashing the net. Good passing plays and one timers don't result in many goals this year.

Another thing that stands out is that the player with the puck can't stickhandle very quickly. Moving the puck left and right, and pulling it back seem kind of slow. It's difficult to avoid stick checks without staying a good distance away from the defenders.

I know this won't apply to game modes like HUT and versus where it's two skaters being controlled at one time, and many/most of the players having high ratings (especially to skating attributes). EASHL 6s is very different, it's up to 10 skaters being controlled at once working together, and the player builds have limited overalls/attributes. I've mentioned this in other posts, but there are major scoring problems in 6s games with somewhat similarly skilled teams, especially in online leagues. Scoring is way down in the LGHL this season compared to past seasons/games, and a lot of players are getting very frustrated even when they win games.

SUGGESTIONS

- I'm not asking to slow the game down for certain situations/builds, the game is slow enough as it is. If anything increase the skating attributes on builds, especially smaller ones and typically faster/quicker player types (like dangler and puck moving defenseman). For example, if the average speed among all the builds with average height/weight is 83, adjust it so it's up to 86, and do the same with acceleration and agility. This way most builds won't feel sluggish, but the smaller/faster builds will have a greater variance in speed and can actually take advantage of it. I'd also suggest skating with the puck and changing your angle slightly doesn't kill your speed.

- On top of that, I'd suggest increasing shot accuracy a bit and maybe decrease the goalie's reach so they have to move in the net more, as well as decreasing their vision so screening the goalie has a bigger impact. It's not often that a goalie will get sniped or beaten by a slapshot/one-timer, and goalies don't seem fazed by having multiple players in front blocking his vision.

- And as I mentioned before, stickhandling quickness could be bumped up to help avoid stick checks.

- Poke checking could use a slight nerf, they seem pretty overpowered right now. While penalties may have been a problem in the beta/on release, the penalties were decreased but the effectiveness of poke checks seem a bit high now.

It doesn't necessarily mean the game sliders need to tuned, a lot of these issues could be improved by changing the default attributes on all the builds (such as increasing skating attributes, lowering stick checking on some/all builds, etc). This way it wouldn't have an impact on other game modes where these problems don't exist or play a big factor.
  • Next Patch anytime soon?
  • Hi there,

This tuner didn't mention adjusting passing or pass support. So I find it really odd that since yesterday the passing has become worse than ever (I'm playing EASHL 3v3).
    I've played for many years and never experienced so many inaccurate passes to team mates.
    I also noticed that players in the opponent team had problems with passing. Clear 2 on 1 situations where the puck misses the team mate, diagonal passes backwards or just a simple straight forward pass to a breakaway player are very often inaccurate.

Very annoying and kills the thrill over the game. Please fix!

• Go back to beta. This went from the best nhl game to a steaming pile of poop
  • Snapcaster1
    240 posts Member
    edited October 2018
    macivonne wrote: »
    Hi there,

This tuner didn't mention adjusting passing or pass support. So I find it really odd that since yesterday the passing has become worse than ever (I'm playing EASHL 3v3).
    I've played for many years and never experienced so many inaccurate passes to team mates.
    I also noticed that players in the opponent team had problems with passing. Clear 2 on 1 situations where the puck misses the team mate, diagonal passes backwards or just a simple straight forward pass to a breakaway player are very often inaccurate.

Very annoying and kills the thrill over the game. Please fix!

Totally agree passing was all over last night both teams in clubs. We all commented on the accuracy being off and weird side or drop passes that weren’t aimed that way. The puck pick ups seem better and penalty’s seemed less. And of course DRE’s and search freezes were steady throughout the night on PS4.
    Post edited by Snapcaster1 on
  • Here's a suggestion for those who like me, are tired of this game... start a franchise mode, and apply the game release settings... i'm done playing online as long as they will keep putting those useless patches out that are just ruining the game, the defensive, the hits, the skatings and good hockey play. Welcome to NHL 18 with more rebound shots than ever, broken 3v3 games, 1s useless mode since you can't challenge your friends and play casual. All that was great about the game is slowly getting tuned so the game looks like NHL 18.
  • The hitting bubble is back where you just slide away or off the puck carrier....great fix for the bumps.
    I dont think I have played an nhl game yet where it has gotten progressively worse this fast lmao.
  • >This tuner is aimed to help address two major areas of feedback we have seen from the community: the prevelance of Skillzone defense and incidental contact/bumps being too strong

I stopped reading there...really? Those were the two major areas of feedback EA got?

So nothing about skating...and they can't even spell prevalence right!
  • I don't know if I just got lucky with my opponents - if so it was about time - but the last two games I played online post tuner have been a lot more forgiving, and for the first time this year I've won 2 straight. My team of Alumni and legends with PP, CS and BU activated, plus FM for the four centres, have finally begun to play as though they know what they are doing.

I've always struggled to enter the zone this year but since yesterday my fast wingers and centres are now making short work of it. I want to say its perceptible that the AI skaters are less God-like and my older reflexes are reaping the benefits, albeit in a very small sample size.

Of course this tuner won't have any effect on EASHL and 3's or 6's play - if you have a great human team who are used to working together then they can be as aggressive or sit back as much as they like.

More of my passes are getting through and I've scored 3 cross crease one-timers in two games on 7 goals which is a lot more than I got in the last 30 games so it seems to be working for me. Of course I could just have got some very new players who don't have their AI set effectively as well so I'm reserving judgement for a few more games / days until I start the grind for Division 1 / Tim Horton and 500 Online wins / Terry Sawchuk ;)
  • Jetset95 wrote: »
    I don't know if I just got lucky with my opponents - if so it was about time - but the last two games I played online post tuner have been a lot more forgiving, and for the first time this year I've won 2 straight. My team of Alumni and legends with PP, CS and BU activated, plus FM for the four centres, have finally begun to play as though they know what they are doing.

I've always struggled to enter the zone this year but since yesterday my fast wingers and centres are now making short work of it. I want to say its perceptible that the AI skaters are less God-like and my older reflexes are reaping the benefits, albeit in a very small sample size.

Of course this tuner won't have any effect on EASHL and 3's or 6's play - if you have a great human team who are used to working together then they can be as aggressive or sit back as much as they like.

More of my passes are getting through and I've scored 3 cross crease one-timers in two games on 7 goals which is a lot more than I got in the last 30 games so it seems to be working for me. Of course I could just have got some very new players who don't have their AI set effectively as well so I'm reserving judgement for a few more games / days until I start the grind for Division 1 / Tim Horton and 500 Online wins / Terry Sawchuk ;)

Couldn’t agree more, between last night and this afternoon I have gone 4-1 with the loss being 3-2 ot loss. When I’m breaking up the wing with a speedy guy I can see the space opening up as the d turns, giving enough room to cut in to the net or make a pass if it’s there. Like you say, I need a few more games to be sure but so far looks good.
  • dustmann wrote: »
    Sorry, the new update in the HUT is the purest catastrophe
    everything worse. Now not even NHL player Stamkos 85 has a chance of sprinting against a player with Sprint 71.
    Goodness ea
    What's next? that the human players have only 3 players left on the ice?

I’m not sure what you are talking about. I have blown by d men with my speedy guys consistently since the update.
  • dustmann wrote: »
    Sorry, the new update in the HUT is the purest catastrophe
    everything worse. Now not even NHL player Stamkos 85 has a chance of sprinting against a player with Sprint 71.
    Goodness ea
    What's next? that the human players have only 3 players left on the ice?

I’m not sure what you are talking about. I have blown by d men with my speedy guys consistently since the update.

sorry, but I know what I'm writing about because I'm experiencing it. Then you can appreciate yourself lucky if it does not happen to you.
    Maybe it's up to the German EA servers, which are severely disadvantaged here.
    Do you already see if you play against the Finns
  • and if you are so omniscience, please tell me why my players are slower than players from the WHL / OHL?
    They all have less speed than my players.

My team Toronto Baers89
    Synergy S + BU activated

The speed has nothing to do with technology!

And please no stupid comments, thanks
  • Bure not in the game as a legend is rediculous he invented the term video game hockey legends not useable in all modes is stupid
    Also penalties are out of control and make for a horrible game
    I have the cpu teammate penalties right off and rules down to one and first play the cpu teammates always make a slashing or tripping penalty
    Anytime I touch the lift stick or poke check button it’s a penalty
    Ruins the flow
    Roster updates still take forever and 2k shows u up in both the legends and roster updates category
    Do work on this
  • Can we get more goalie helmet options for created goalies or created teams in franchise mode? Like even if you had the option to choose the color or like your team colors to the plain white helmet... That'd be awesome. The black CHL helmet isn't as nice as the regular helmets... Cheers!
  • I wrote of a faster work around and got ignored.