EA Forums - Banner

NHL 20 Content Update October 1st

Check out our latest content update, bug fixes & key areas on which we need your feedback here.

Issues and solutions

renamed57635
167 posts Member
edited October 2018
I have owned every NHL game EA has made since NHLPA93 on Sega Genesis. Each year I fall into the hype and hope of hockey simulation game that is actually fun, challenging (not infuriating because of game mechanics and programming) and has me wanting more.

That being said, while I do the series going into the right direction, I feel there a number of glaring issues that need to be addressed and resolved. I'm only going to highlight EASHL since that is my primary mode and the only one I really care about.

1. Why does the puck carrier have more speed and agility with the puck than a player without? It's not very realistic. It's mostly noticeable once the puck carrier gets about halfway across their own center line then gradually picks up until the reach the top of the face off circle and that's where the top end speed reached its max. There should be no added gain/boost while possessing the puck. I've noticed it for years so you can't say it doesn't happen.
2. The poke checking dilemma! I get that spammers are the reason but poke checking is a defenders primary tool. There are still way too many penalties being called. Poke checks from the front and side should not be called, just let the defender miss entirely if the start spamming. 1 poke should not warrant a penalty. It's also ridiculous that almost 100% of pokes from behind are called. It eliminates the notion of back checking or being able to defend if someone that just gets out of the penalty box, gets fed for a breakaway. There has to be a happy medium somewhere because what's happening now, is silly. You have all the players, unrealistically skating backwards all the time just to draw penalties.
3. The holding the stick on the backhand move is getting old as well. Again, I know EA favors the offensive players in their games. It's evident w how they always improve mechanics regarding anything dealing with creating offensive chances. There's no balance between the two. On defense, if you stick check in any form, your player loses speed. If you have the puck, you can pretty much do anything without breaking stride.
4. Body checking is poorly coded as well. Why must you aim your checks at the puck instead of the players torso? That's where the "bubble" people have mentioned comes from. As soon as the puck carrier moves his stick away from a person who has committed to that body check, it's gives him that bubble.
5. Why do you still get caught flat footed intercepting or receiving passes?
6. Why do pucks still go through sticks and body parts of players who have dove or crouched to attempt to block the puck?
7. Why are there body size limitations based on certain build types and why does EA believe that every defensive dman is some huge, slug on the ice? Why are all the traditional defenseman builds punished with poor athletics and the only good skating defenseman builds punished with poor defensive skills? You guys completely took away the fun aspect of this mode when you took out 100% customized builds. Part of the fun of EASHL, minus the silly 350 games to Legend 3 (150 was fine yet you had to tinker n ruin that too), was researching builds, asking other players you met, etc. Now most people play without a headset, the other EASHL sites are a ghost town. That completely destroyed the social aspect. There's no positive communication. The only posts you read relating to this series are whine fests.
8. EASHL 6s Club should be the very definition of simulation. Thats where you should to play the most realistic hockey. There should be total collision physics, situations, etc. Zero traits, specialties, boosts, etc. Just have 1 build template and supply us attribute points and allow us to allocate them where we may choose till they run out, with no cap limiting brackets like (offense, defense, athletics). Allow us to make out height n weight whatever we want within reason. Allow us to choose our stick flex, curve and skate blade angles. All this in 1 build type! Not all these sub-classes. It's corny how it's set up now, it's like Final Fantasy on ice.
9. Bring back the lobbies from the old OTP days and fix it so if a troll is doing troll things, have a vote kick and when the troll is kicked, he may not enter the room for a certain amount of time. He may go to a new room, yes. But if he's voted out of there as well, then temporarily ban him from ALL the lobbies for an allotted amount of time.
10. Why are there soooooo many auto animations in the game? I'm not going to go into every single one of them but it ruins the game. You have taken all the skill out of the game. You took deking skill, positioning skill, defensive skill away along with absolute control of their players. Basically, you just dont need to ever push any buttons except for pass and shoot along with direction you wanna skate. You can put down the controller and its extremely hard for your player to lose the puck. Wheres the logic in that? Same goes with rewarding bad players and stupid plays. It's been going on for since last gen consoles. It needs to stop!
11. Club leaderboards are beyond wrong and again, rewards the not so skilled players. Why are leaderboards not set up like every other pro sport leaderboards in the history of sports leaderboards? Why does EA feel a need to make Casual Calvin the mindset he's a good player? It never gets old in this community, the number of times a really really bad EASHL player has told me to look him/her up on the leaderboards or check out their CR or any other goofy junk their brainwashed minds came up with because of EAs reward system. I mainly club but at times I wanna shoot the breeze with friends not in my club and get in the toxic drop in games with some intoxicated, chromosome missing random who can't stay insides (there s an indicator on your screen when theres an offsides), refuses to pass the puck, shoots as soon as they cross the blueline, refuses to play defense (evsnthough thats the position the chose), goalies flopping like fish out of water or skating to center ice, etc.? Yet these players get rewarded with good CR because they never quit the game and you get punished because you shouldn't have to be subjected to 20 minutes of hell? Its extremely rare i play drop ins but thats an almost guarantee to happen and why i only play 3s drops. I refuse to play 6s drop ins because there's more idiots to have to deal with.

So basically, all I'm saying is to please address and fix the most important issues and to eliminate all auto animations and stop rewarding bad/stupid players.

Edited to remove cursing. - EA_Cian
Post edited by EA_Cian on

Replies

• Excuse my spelling n grammar. Too tired (lazy) to edit.
  • Theyre called moron fests for a reason.
    People trying impossible passes, asking puck from a goalie when theres nothing but empty net and oppositing teams player in between, asking for a bad pass and messageing you after game because you didnt want to pass the puck to oppositing teams player, attacking / puck hogging d-men (most likely teal), puck hogging f-men whose controller misses r2/rt, play IQ and situational awareness smaller than their shoe size etc. List goes on and on and on and theres nothing Ea can do about it because its inside other players heads.
    Maybe if the matchmaking system would be like in some other games where bad sports play against / with each others? Maybe just maybe these players would learn to play as a team? Id like to watch this kind of a game with a bowl of popcorn and a can of cold beer.
    At least in threes we have to deal with only two local heroes at a time instead of four.
    Its usually never directly goalies fault if you lose, so lets leave them out of this for now.
    And I do miss allocating my points how ever I want too..
  • This is such trash.

PLEASE BRING OTP lobbies back. There was a huge part of the community that constantly ran 12 person lobbies and we would draft teams. We want OTP back so bad or even just 12 person custom eashl lobbies would be fine just let us play with more than 5 friends.

So much is so bad this year. The deking is slow, going forehand to backhand is so slow it competely changed how to 1v1 vs the goalie. Last second passing is non existant..ugh!!
  • This is such trash.

PLEASE BRING OTP lobbies back. There was a huge part of the community that constantly ran 12 person lobbies and we would draft teams. We want OTP back so bad or even just 12 person custom eashl lobbies would be fine just let us play with more than 5 friends.

So much is so bad this year. The deking is slow, going forehand to backhand is so slow it competely changed how to 1v1 vs the goalie. Last second passing is non existant..ugh!!

I remember those days of them 12 person draft lobbies. All those stupid leagues ruined EASHL to a degree. It killed club. There's just so much that needs addressed n until they figure out how to code properly and how to tune/patch properly without creating more issues, it'll be impossible. I used to play top club for years, played in a league when it wasn't so life consuming and with how the gameplay is, I rarely club bc everyone gets so frustrated n has no interest. If i do play, I play franchise mode. The idea of gaming is to enjoy yourself not want to break from life's stresses and get even more angry.
  • Here's a more simpler fix:

Stop tuning the game to make it like the previous year. Instead, move forward and take risks and innovate.
  • Here’s the Solution to it all! Leave the game how it is now almost balanced! Bring back the and I QUOTE from the game cover “Explosive Edge Skating” from Launch and Beta. And fix the matchmaking so simple! Yet so hard for them to get it.
  • There's no way Devs even still play this game. If they do, they cannot be having fun. The game is a dumpster fire. Skating feels like 18 again. And once again offense is overpowered and caters to people who know nothing about hockey.
  • And I don’t care what the devs say the skating is different. Just focus on the crossovers alone they are ugly and slow. At the start they where “explosive” and you could hear the ice cutting everywhere! Now it’s blah blah and quiet and the crossovers look unatural, sloppy and slow!
  • zingaa1
    395 posts Member
    edited October 2018
    Like I said from back in the day, EA should select a few dozen " elite and above average" players and have them spend time to test it in private supervised rooms, before and after the BETA. During this whole process consult these players ( Skype conference call ) and get their honest opinions on what's right and wrong, boom problem solved, for FREE.

This game was released broken, that shouldn't be happening, no excuse really.
  • zingaa1 wrote: »
    Like I said from back in the day, EA should select a few dozen " elite and above average" players and have them spend time to test it in private supervised rooms, before and after the BETA. During this whole process consult these players ( Skype conference call ) and get their honest opinions on what's right and wrong, boom problem solved, for FREE.

What do you think the Gamechangers program is? And this is exactly what it leads to. Not saying this is definitive, but normally each player will have his own agenda and push for it.

In the end, no matter what Gamechangers suggest, in the end, EA has the final word. Just look at 19. They are literally transforming it back to 18. I am incredibly pissed at these "tunings" as it has transformed the game that is nowhere near what I paid for, and was expecting.
  • zingaa1 wrote: »

What do you think the Gamechangers program is? And this is exactly what it leads to. Not saying this is definitive, but normally each player will have his own agenda and push for it.

In the end, no matter what Gamechangers suggest, in the end, EA has the final word. Just look at 19. They are literally transforming it back to 18. I am incredibly pissed at these "tunings" as it has transformed the game that is nowhere near what I paid for, and was expecting.

I have no idea what the Gamechangers program is
  • renamed57635
    167 posts Member
    edited November 2018
    zingaa1 wrote: »
    zingaa1 wrote: »

I have no idea what the Gamechangers program is

I don't think the ones who created it do either.
  • Here’s the Solution to it all! Leave the game how it is now almost balanced! Bring back the and I QUOTE from the game cover “Explosive Edge Skating” from Launch and Beta. And fix the matchmaking so simple! Yet so hard for them to get it.

I don't share your opinion with "almost balanced" when they stripped away a key defense tool and allowed offensive players to gain more tools. The game has never been balanced in those terms. Over the years they have weakened not only defensemen but goaltenders. Everything is tweaked to give forwards a slight edge. You have better skating ability with the puck and that defies everything in terms of physics. These pre-fab builds are another example. Why are just about every defenseman build some big, oversized lump w poor puck handling skills and mediocre defensive skills? Their perception of what makes a build relating to class definitions is insulting. So every defensive dman has to be big n heavy and can't skate, pass or really do anything but body check? Two-way dman is advertised as balanced but all his stats are low tiered. They are balanced with low numbers and only balanced in terms of other defenseman builds, not balanced between every build as they should be. Enforcer builds have been useless since they were incorporated and w how fighting has gone down since post lockout, why they even still in the game? Real enforcers have been phasee out of the NHL for the most part as there isn't a place for them in today's hockey.
    There's so many little things in the game like breaking someone's stick with a stick lift to catching a slap shot or hard wrist shot open handed or stopping it dead in its tracks with your stick. It's like as if something mesmerizing happens in one NHL game, they implement it into the video game version and make it an occurance like it's a natural, normal circumstance.

What they need is a bonafide NHL player (past or present) who was actually good or a coach with the same credentials to be a liaison and guide them in the direction to create a true simulation experience. If they created two more types (casual and simulation), imo, that would better. Club and drop in should be simulation and all others should be casual.