EA Forums - Banner

NHL 20 Content Update October 25th


Check out our CHEL notes with our October Patch update here.

Dynamic difficulty is ruining versus play

Replies

  • sgiz1 wrote: »
    Vs. is frustrating however,

    4 out of 5 games seems to be 0-0 or 1-1 going into the 3rd period. Regardless of talent, dominating the game on the ice and in stats. It's a stressful grind till the end.

    It's pretty clear at this point that is exactly how EA wanted it to be.

    See, I'm not encountering this at all. Here's a clip of my recent games.



    Now this doesn't show the score during the first 2 periods, but it shows that the majority of either me or my opponent are scoring 3+ goals in the game.

    So I look at 0-0 or 1-1 games going late into the game simply as a great defensive battle. I would check your recent games and check the CRs of your opponents. (Not sure if this can be done in HUT) CR may be a meaningless stat to some, but in VS it will at least give you an idea of your opponents skill set.

    I’ve never experienced DDA in online vs games. Only in HUT CS
  • sgiz1 wrote: »
    Vs. is frustrating however,

    4 out of 5 games seems to be 0-0 or 1-1 going into the 3rd period. Regardless of talent, dominating the game on the ice and in stats. It's a stressful grind till the end.

    It's pretty clear at this point that is exactly how EA wanted it to be.

    See, I'm not encountering this at all. Here's a clip of my recent games.



    Now this doesn't show the score during the first 2 periods, but it shows that the majority of either me or my opponent are scoring 3+ goals in the game.

    So I look at 0-0 or 1-1 games going late into the game simply as a great defensive battle. I would check your recent games and check the CRs of your opponents. (Not sure if this can be done in HUT) CR may be a meaningless stat to some, but in VS it will at least give you an idea of your opponents skill set.

    Just out of curiosity are you an aggressive player? Looking at the games that's my best guess. Do you go for hits a bunch?
  • sgiz1 wrote: »
    Vs. is frustrating however,

    4 out of 5 games seems to be 0-0 or 1-1 going into the 3rd period. Regardless of talent, dominating the game on the ice and in stats. It's a stressful grind till the end.

    It's pretty clear at this point that is exactly how EA wanted it to be.

    See, I'm not encountering this at all. Here's a clip of my recent games.



    Now this doesn't show the score during the first 2 periods, but it shows that the majority of either me or my opponent are scoring 3+ goals in the game.

    So I look at 0-0 or 1-1 games going late into the game simply as a great defensive battle. I would check your recent games and check the CRs of your opponents. (Not sure if this can be done in HUT) CR may be a meaningless stat to some, but in VS it will at least give you an idea of your opponents skill set.

    Just out of curiosity are you an aggressive player? Looking at the games that's my best guess. Do you go for hits a bunch?

    It depends on what type of player I am going against. I am actually very conservative and try to make breakout passes when my opponent becomes over aggressive.

    The first game shown in the video, the 7-4 win, I actually scored the first goal on my first shot, and then he scored 3 straight, all one timers. If I'm not mistaken, that all happened within the first 10 min of the game. So I had to go on the aggressive which worked out in my favor. The other high scoring ones, not so much.
  • ExSnake01
    454 posts Member
    edited November 2018

    Maybe this "code" you talk about is only in your head? That is a possibility too.

    You've been living in a dream world Neo. There is no spoon.

    There's a possibility that there isn't any code for DDA in NHL. But there's circumstantial evidence which gives reasonable doubt your argument isn't true.

    Next time you should try to show some proof as a way to further your argument.

  • Sinbin
    1328 posts Member
    Sinbin wrote: »
    .
    sgiz1 wrote: »
    Vs. is frustrating however,

    4 out of 5 games seems to be 0-0 or 1-1 going into the 3rd period. Regardless of talent, dominating the game on the ice and in stats. It's a stressful grind till the end.

    It's pretty clear at this point that is exactly how EA wanted it to be.

    Why can't that also be good matchmaking putting you up against someone of equal skill? 4 out 5 close games seems to mean that's what's happening.

    Not necessarily. What if a team has 25 shots, and the other has 3? Yea yea shot quality and all that sexy stuff. I get it. However, logically, the more you shoot, then the more chances you have of scoring.

    If you're consistently putting up 25+ shots to their 3 or so, you have to take some blame for not scoring too. If you aren't setting up good scoring chances, taking advantage of screens and aren't aiming shots well, it's going to be a lot harder to hit the back of the net.
  • Naysayers. Describe how nhl would play with with DDA. Do it up. Come on guys. If there no DDa in this game, how would the game work with it? Lets see naysayers. You make it clear you have no idea what you’re talking about and yet feel the need to argue the existence of DDa. So I challenge you. Lets do it. How would the mechanics of NHl work if there was DDA?
  • headup81 wrote: »
    Naysayers. Describe how nhl would play with with DDA. Do it up. Come on guys. If there no DDa in this game, how would the game work with it? Lets see naysayers. You make it clear you have no idea what you’re talking about and yet feel the need to argue the existence of DDa. So I challenge you. Lets do it. How would the mechanics of NHl work if there was DDA?

    Did you read the patent? It tell you how it works. Read it and it answers your questions.
  • KidShowtime1867
    949 posts Member
    edited November 2018
    jake19ny wrote: »
    I’ve never experienced DDA in online vs games. Only in HUT CS

    You've never experienced 'DDA' or 'ice tilt' ever. It doesn't exist lmao
  • Fatboyee wrote: »
    headup81 wrote: »
    Naysayers. Describe how nhl would play with with DDA. Do it up. Come on guys. If there no DDa in this game, how would the game work with it? Lets see naysayers. You make it clear you have no idea what you’re talking about and yet feel the need to argue the existence of DDa. So I challenge you. Lets do it. How would the mechanics of NHl work if there was DDA?

    Did you read the patent? It tell you how it works. Read it and it answers your questions.

    I’m asking since according to some there is no DDa in chel. What would the game be like if there was.

    I know what the patent says
  • jake19ny wrote: »
    I’ve never experienced DDA in online vs games. Only in HUT CS

    You've never experienced 'DDA' or 'ice tilt' ever. It doesn't exist lmao


    If it doesn’t. What would the game be like with it then.
  • Sinbin wrote: »
    Sinbin wrote: »
    .
    sgiz1 wrote: »
    Vs. is frustrating however,

    4 out of 5 games seems to be 0-0 or 1-1 going into the 3rd period. Regardless of talent, dominating the game on the ice and in stats. It's a stressful grind till the end.

    It's pretty clear at this point that is exactly how EA wanted it to be.

    Why can't that also be good matchmaking putting you up against someone of equal skill? 4 out 5 close games seems to mean that's what's happening.

    Not necessarily. What if a team has 25 shots, and the other has 3? Yea yea shot quality and all that sexy stuff. I get it. However, logically, the more you shoot, then the more chances you have of scoring.

    If you're consistently putting up 25+ shots to their 3 or so, you have to take some blame for not scoring too. If you aren't setting up good scoring chances, taking advantage of screens and aren't aiming shots well, it's going to be a lot harder to hit the back of the net.

    While I agree, that wasn't the point I am trying to make.

    In real life, the more you shoot, the more chances you have of scoring. It is simple logic. This game does not follow simple logic. It follows glitches and patterns.

    When someone really knows how to abuse the goalies, he could easily score 3 goals on 5 shots. Given enough time, say 20 minute periods, these guys would score 30-35 goals on 50 shots. That is the issue. Not the total amount of shots, but knowing those sweet spots that make goalies look like noobs.
  • Im not against DDA. I can understand wanting to drive up retention and keeping players challenged and what not. I worked in mobile game and that gave me a nee found perspective on the practices used.

    I dont however agree with the way its applied to the nhl engine. Its supposed to not be noticeable, but currently its unbearably blatent. I feel this way about games i win btw. I dont know if i win them due to playing well or due to DDA giving my oponent a harder time.

    I dont think it should make things difficult by ramping up the goalie or decreasing a teams passing percentage or as a team increasing a teams forechecking. If anything it should be an infectious behavior improvement on individuals on a team. Dont mess with the things with the players control. Adjust the elements of the game out of a players control.

    This is hard to explain but i will come back later to express what i mean. I need to think how i can explain my suggestion in a useful way.

    A few things i feel need to be in the game:

    Goalie fatigue should be a factor. Getting layed out with a huge hit on a star should be a factor. Currently neither play a role in how well you can get your team playing.

    There should be a mood system where if you can get under a players skin will react in different ways. The game lacks emotion. Adding that would make it seem more realistic.
  • Sinbin wrote: »
    Sinbin wrote: »
    .
    sgiz1 wrote: »
    Vs. is frustrating however,

    4 out of 5 games seems to be 0-0 or 1-1 going into the 3rd period. Regardless of talent, dominating the game on the ice and in stats. It's a stressful grind till the end.

    It's pretty clear at this point that is exactly how EA wanted it to be.

    Why can't that also be good matchmaking putting you up against someone of equal skill? 4 out 5 close games seems to mean that's what's happening.

    Not necessarily. What if a team has 25 shots, and the other has 3? Yea yea shot quality and all that sexy stuff. I get it. However, logically, the more you shoot, then the more chances you have of scoring.

    If you're consistently putting up 25+ shots to their 3 or so, you have to take some blame for not scoring too. If you aren't setting up good scoring chances, taking advantage of screens and aren't aiming shots well, it's going to be a lot harder to hit the back of the net.

    While I agree, that wasn't the point I am trying to make.

    In real life, the more you shoot, the more chances you have of scoring. It is simple logic. This game does not follow simple logic. It follows glitches and patterns.

    When someone really knows how to abuse the goalies, he could easily score 3 goals on 5 shots. Given enough time, say 20 minute periods, these guys would score 30-35 goals on 50 shots. That is the issue. Not the total amount of shots, but knowing those sweet spots that make goalies look like noobs.

    I see what you are saying. You're right and the really good players would dominate. However thats kind of the problem, theres an expectation that a game you play against someone should be skill based. The opposite effect if the game suddenly makes it difficult or impossible to score is that it takes away your abilty to get better. Theres nothing worse the having things feel or be percieved to be out of the players control.

    For me i would rather strive to get better at the game then have it level the playing field.
  • headup81
    99 posts Member
    edited November 2018
    The point I'm trying to make is that some people are adamant that there is no DDA but the way the game plays would say otherwise. In 2018 there's a 0 percent change this game doesn't have DDA. When naysayers say they wish people could take there losses you're calling out the exact reason this game needs DDA in the first place. Losers stop playing, spending...…..
  • Sinbin wrote: »
    Sinbin wrote: »
    .
    sgiz1 wrote: »
    Vs. is frustrating however,

    4 out of 5 games seems to be 0-0 or 1-1 going into the 3rd period. Regardless of talent, dominating the game on the ice and in stats. It's a stressful grind till the end.

    It's pretty clear at this point that is exactly how EA wanted it to be.

    Why can't that also be good matchmaking putting you up against someone of equal skill? 4 out 5 close games seems to mean that's what's happening.

    Not necessarily. What if a team has 25 shots, and the other has 3? Yea yea shot quality and all that sexy stuff. I get it. However, logically, the more you shoot, then the more chances you have of scoring.

    If you're consistently putting up 25+ shots to their 3 or so, you have to take some blame for not scoring too. If you aren't setting up good scoring chances, taking advantage of screens and aren't aiming shots well, it's going to be a lot harder to hit the back of the net.

    While I agree, that wasn't the point I am trying to make.

    In real life, the more you shoot, the more chances you have of scoring. It is simple logic. This game does not follow simple logic. It follows glitches and patterns.

    When someone really knows how to abuse the goalies, he could easily score 3 goals on 5 shots. Given enough time, say 20 minute periods, these guys would score 30-35 goals on 50 shots. That is the issue. Not the total amount of shots, but knowing those sweet spots that make goalies look like noobs.

    You're near the mark, but not entirely accurate. The problem with this game is that it rewards simple shooting (which CAN happen on occasion in the NHL) instead of scoring chances which should be the REAL bread an butter for scoring in hockey.

    Shots don't necessarily equate to having a scoring chance. Once the Devs get this in their heads, the game will be one thousand percent better than it is right now.
  • KidShowtime1867
    949 posts Member
    edited November 2018
    VeNOM2099 wrote: »
    Sinbin wrote: »
    Sinbin wrote: »
    .
    sgiz1 wrote: »
    Vs. is frustrating however,

    4 out of 5 games seems to be 0-0 or 1-1 going into the 3rd period. Regardless of talent, dominating the game on the ice and in stats. It's a stressful grind till the end.

    It's pretty clear at this point that is exactly how EA wanted it to be.

    Why can't that also be good matchmaking putting you up against someone of equal skill? 4 out 5 close games seems to mean that's what's happening.

    Not necessarily. What if a team has 25 shots, and the other has 3? Yea yea shot quality and all that sexy stuff. I get it. However, logically, the more you shoot, then the more chances you have of scoring.

    If you're consistently putting up 25+ shots to their 3 or so, you have to take some blame for not scoring too. If you aren't setting up good scoring chances, taking advantage of screens and aren't aiming shots well, it's going to be a lot harder to hit the back of the net.

    While I agree, that wasn't the point I am trying to make.

    In real life, the more you shoot, the more chances you have of scoring. It is simple logic. This game does not follow simple logic. It follows glitches and patterns.

    When someone really knows how to abuse the goalies, he could easily score 3 goals on 5 shots. Given enough time, say 20 minute periods, these guys would score 30-35 goals on 50 shots. That is the issue. Not the total amount of shots, but knowing those sweet spots that make goalies look like noobs.

    You're near the mark, but not entirely accurate. The problem with this game is that it rewards simple shooting (which CAN happen on occasion in the NHL) instead of scoring chances which should be the REAL bread an butter for scoring in hockey.

    Shots don't necessarily equate to having a scoring chance. Once the Devs get this in their heads, the game will be one thousand percent better than it is right now.

    How is a shot on net not considered a scoring chance?

    Although I understand that the way in which the shot is directed at the goalie effects it's chances of resulting in a goal - a shot on net is a scoring chance, regardless of how it got there.

    Of course some chances are better than others - but a shot on net is a shot on net.

    Saying that shots don't equal scoring chances is quite absurd, in my opinion.
  • headup81
    99 posts Member
    edited November 2018
    sqqkrtch5k6r.jpg

    This why we have DDA. This guy was terrible and yet still felt he should message me because he felt slighted. Dude is 16-41 and can only blame losing on everything but himself.
  • VeNOM2099
    2665 posts Member
    edited November 2018
    How is a shot on net not considered a scoring chance?

    Although I understand that the way in which the shot is directed at the goalie effects it's chances of resulting in a goal - a shot on net is a scoring chance, regardless of how it got there.

    Of course some chances are better than others - but a shot on net is a shot on net.

    Saying that shots don't equal scoring chances is quite absurd, in my opinion.

    Well it could be that you don't really understand hockey then. But the idea behind it is that a shot is not necessarily a scoring chance unless it has a high percentage chance of resulting in a goal. It has not so much to do from where you're shooting as much as the circumstances leading up to the shot.

    For example, If I'm standing alone in front of the goalie and I just take a pot shot at him, it's just a shot, not a scoring chance. The goalie sees me. He's in position. Even if I take a hard shot the chances of it going in on a good goalie are slim to none. But if I cycle the puck around to create space and make the goalie move out of position and THEN I shoot at him, that could be considered a scoring chance.

    In a real hockey game, you can have 20-30 shots on net, but only have like 7 or 8 good scoring chances all game long. That's why a goalie will often tell his d-men to funnel the play to allow him to handle easy shots rather than have to deal with cross-crease or breakaway attempts which COULD be dangerous scoring chances. And sometimes, good goalies can make a save on a good scoring chance. Again, during the normal course of a game, you'll hear the announcers talk about there having been a few good scoring chances, but the score is still 1-0 or 2-1. There are also scoring chances that don't even result in a shot, because it can go wide or the shot is blocked by the defense, but it's still a scoring chance.

    So you see, scoring chances don't always result in goals, though they have a higher potential of being one. And sometimes shots get through that aren't scoring chances, but still go in (weird bounces, screens, etc). The latter ones are very, very rare in reality. It's only in EA's NHL that shots and scoring chances are practically synonymous. Shoot from the point? That's a scoring chance. Shoot from the side wall at an 178° angle? that's a scoring chance. Try to shoot through 10 players in front of the crease? Scoring chance. Bobble the puck and ram into the goalie?... Take a wild guess.
  • KidShowtime1867
    949 posts Member
    edited November 2018
    VeNOM2099 wrote: »
    How is a shot on net not considered a scoring chance?

    Although I understand that the way in which the shot is directed at the goalie effects it's chances of resulting in a goal - a shot on net is a scoring chance, regardless of how it got there.

    Of course some chances are better than others - but a shot on net is a shot on net.

    Saying that shots don't equal scoring chances is quite absurd, in my opinion.

    Well it could be that you don't really understand hockey then.


    LMAO

    That's right - nobody understands hockey like you ;)


  • No. There are just some people that don't really understand it. It's not a bad thing. I know OF cars, but I don't know anything about them or how they work.

    Some people know OF hockey, but they don't know how hockey works. I played it for most of my youth and well into adulthood. I played it as a goalie. I also coached it for a few years. So I had to have a good understanding of how the sport operates. Am I an absolute expert? Nope. But the basics tenets of hockey, hockey 101 if you will, I understand very well.
Sign In or Register to comment.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!