EA Forums - Banner

NHL 20 Content Update October 1st

Check out our latest content update, bug fixes & key areas on which we need your feedback here.

Would you wait a year?

Prev1
Instead of EA coming out with a game in 2020, would you guys be willing to wait a year for a ‘21 game if it meant actually having a complete game?

Replies

• 100% but I'm not sure how much they could actually improve the game. If they make it too arcade, you ignore the sim players, you make the game to sim and you ignore the mainstream audience. I think the solution is more dynamic looking and feeling gameplay.

Could that happen over two years yes, however it would take a massive overhaul of what they are aiming to do. The mistake EA thinks is that marketing to the casual audience works. What brings in the casual audience they believe is big hits, crazy goals, and all the flare of hockey.

They would need to change their ideology with a caveat. They would need to recognize that focusing on one side or the other is what made the old generations such massive successes. Take a leap and commit.

When the hardcore audience comes back that has been pushed aside for mass market appeal that hasn't worked. You will see the casuals come back in droves as the game feels larger than life once more, and a well set out vision instead of hybrid offering to bring in all players. However this has only led to players going out.

The issue is that engines and such are much more complex with many different moving parts, built on a decade old framework, it's difficult I'm sure to know what to do as a company as large as EA, they don't want to upset investors by taking a chance and failing, but I guess they feel that Hut will make up for it if sales lack.

• Yes. I'd love it if sports titles took as long as regular franchise games with a separate patching team maintaining the current title. One thing I think I'm realizing though, is that they're not talented, which is strange for a massive "AAA developer" like EA. I just legitimately think they're not attracting and hiring talent and skill.

One need only look at the menu responsiveness in my opinion. It's just straight up garbage for 2018. If they can't even put together menu transitions and whatnot like Sony Interactive—where when you press something..it instantly transitions without dumb and lame phone-like animations—then how can they be expected to succeed with the actual core gameplay of hockey?
  • Instead of EA coming out with a game in 2020, would you guys be willing to wait a year for a ‘21 game if it meant actually having a complete game?

No I wouldn't.

Simply put, NHL 16 to 19 have not impressed me in the least. 19 was off to a great start and then was trashed with 18 tuning.

So, 16 to 19 is 4 years, and yet look at where we are. Don't see how 19 to 21 would be impressive in any way.
  • Instead of EA coming out with a game in 2020, would you guys be willing to wait a year for a ‘21 game if it meant actually having a complete game?

Sure. Release date doesn’t really make me play a sporting game more or less. That said all I’ve ever been interested is 6v6 stuff so spending a lot of time on something like franchise or hut is 100% worthless to me. Never played em, never will.
    That said, give me quick stops and starts. Good transitions. Puck pick ups which are either consistent or give me a viable way to fight for the puck. Give me a stick lift which resembles what I do on the ice. That is a quick lift designed to acquire the puck..not some crash flailing slash with the rage of a thousand suns.

Let’s face it, if I pulled some of the stick work this game puts out I would either have been riding quite a bit of pine..or skating until I puked. Or..my old favorite, a long as the coach is speaking your doing push ups or sit-ups. That last one combined with 3hr no pucks skating practices will smarten you right up...😉

But ya. Release date is irrelevant it’s the quality of the product which matters.

Ps: hockey’s not a casual , nor an individual sport. Stop catering to the fantasy football hero’s and the 1man fools. It’s a fast, fun, team game. Does anyone at ea’s studio actually play the game..? Even a little stick and puck? Anyone?
    All Comments pertain to 6v6 drop in unless otherwise stated..
  • I've been a big proponent of multi-year development for sports games since NHL 2K6. Release the game one year, then for the following one or two years just release an "update" DLC to add new rules, teams, arenas, etc for like 15$-20$, then on the third year release the FULL game.
    YouTube: VeNOM3099
    Twitch: twitch.tv/venom3099

• VeNOM2099 wrote: »
    I've been a big proponent of multi-year development for sports games since NHL 2K6. Release the game one year, then for the following one or two years just release an "update" DLC to add new rules, teams, arenas, etc for like 15$-20$, then on the third year release the FULL game.

Stop making sense..
    additionally it might help with retention for the teams on club etc.
    All Comments pertain to 6v6 drop in unless otherwise stated..
  • Absolutely would if they went back to the beta style. If they kept it the way things are now I just wouldn't play the game like I'm already doing now.
  • Absolutely would if they went back to the beta style. If they kept it the way things are now I just wouldn't play the game like I'm already doing now.

Pfft, I can assure you they have abused and completely lost my trust for pretty much any future iteration.

It has been the same cheese/garbage play since at least 14. New skating, exact same play.

Until there are some serious, and I mean serious changes with either the team and/or the direction, this series will never see a dime for me. At this point, I would rather see this series die than continue as it has for the past 5 years.

Thanks team. You have ruined a great game. Cannot believe you went from potentially the best game (by far) in over 7 years, to complete garbage that I am at the point of completely and utterly hating. This game has become an insult to hockey.

This game is like a cheating wife who always apologizes and says she won't do it again, but she does it every October of every year....
  • I don't think 2,3 or even 4 years would matter, it would be the same nonsense, I've adapted every year and never really had huge problems with past years, but 19 is laughable. EA will not be getting any more of my money, enough is enough.

As far as updating the game every year rather than a new release, we saw what happened with these updates so I can't say I'm too optimistic on EA's ability to do that.

I've been waiting since roughly NHL 14 more or less.

So you could say my patience has been tested. The more I skip the game the easier it is to skip.
    This year I tried the beta and was excited and very close to pull the trigger but still couldnt convince myself to because I felt like I may regret it. and sure enough, I made the right decision again.

• No. Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on me. I'm out.
  • Absolutely. As long as they use that year appropriately.
  • Yes. One year is not enough time to develop a new product let alone year after year.

I hope 2K is hearing all this negative feedback regarding EA NHL and decide it’s a good time to jump back into the series
  • Jonogunn wrote: »
    Yes. One year is not enough time to develop a new product let alone year after year.

I hope 2K is hearing all this negative feedback regarding EA NHL and decide it’s a good time to jump back into the series

Again, I must say this. 2K left, and there is a reason why. Had they been the better product, they would have stayed around.

Both EA and 2K both suffered issues in their own ways. In the end, like it or not, EA overall did have the better representation. Or at least, seems logical it was the lesser of 2 evils, or simply more fun for whatever reasons.

To argue that 2K would force EA to improve, that is another discussion and obviously it is possible. I just find it to be a little unlikely.
    Yes. One year is not enough time to develop a new product let alone year after year.

Again, I must say this. 2K left, and there is a reason why. Had they been the better product, they would have stayed around.

Both EA and 2K both suffered issues in their own ways. In the end, like it or not, EA overall did have the better representation. Or at least, seems logical it was the lesser of 2 evils, or simply more fun for whatever reasons.

To argue that 2K would force EA to improve, that is another discussion and obviously it is possible. I just find it to be a little unlikely.

2K did have the better product, but their marketing was just not on the same level as EA's. Also, the mistake 2K did with their NHL product is in trying to imp EA's while not matching them in graphics and presentation.

2K has since not had any interest in producing an NHL game. Even if EA would to stop making an NHL game, 2K would likely still not jump on board. Even their NHL 2K game on mobile was recently discontinued. Looks like we're gonna be stuck with EA for the foreseeable future or nothing at all.

Which is why I think it's important to keep insisting that EA keep improving on this series.
    YouTube: VeNOM3099
    Twitch: twitch.tv/venom3099

• Not a chance I trust THIS development team to take 2 years and vastly improve the game.

This series is in bad need of new blood and a fresh direction.

No I wouldn't.

Simply put, NHL 16 to 19 have not impressed me in the least. 19 was off to a great start and then was trashed with 18 tuning.

So, 16 to 19 is 4 years, and yet look at where we are. Don't see how 19 to 21 would be impressive in any way.

I agree. I don't understand how every other AAA developing company has managed to make top notch games and the only company that makes sports games still hasn't figured out how "next gen" console hardware/software operates. The excuse that the NHL series gets no budget is played out. They can use tech from other EA series and implement that in if it worked for them. They should remove a lot of useless modes like Season, NHL 3s, etc. then focused primarily on the EASHL core and I suppose HUT to an extent. Devote all their time into the only 2 modes people care about online and leave Franchise for offline. There doesn't need to be 10 variations wrapped up into 1 game.
  • The sad reality is EA has changed their money making strategy which revolves around MUT. There other modes have gone unchanged for years and the gameplay has not improved since the first games for the current consoles. I won't be buying any of the sports franchises again until the next consoles which almost guarantee some sort of improvement.
  • Sinbin
    1309 posts Member
    Instead of EA coming out with a game in 2020, would you guys be willing to wait a year for a ‘21 game if it meant actually having a complete game?

No I wouldn't.

I agree. I don't understand how every other AAA developing company has managed to make top notch games and the only company that makes sports games still hasn't figured out how "next gen" console hardware/software operates. The excuse that the NHL series gets no budget is played out. They can use tech from other EA series and implement that in if it worked for them. They should remove a lot of useless modes like Season, NHL 3s, etc. then focused primarily on the EASHL core and I suppose HUT to an extent. Devote all their time into the only 2 modes people care about online and leave Franchise for offline. There doesn't need to be 10 variations wrapped up into 1 game.

Those modes that you think are useless bring people in. Just because you don't like them, it doesn't mean nobody is playing them. This game is more than EASHL and HUT. Focusing on one over the other is going to be bad for the game as a whole. There is a very diverse audience for this game. Neglecting big chunks of them isn't good. There are plenty of people that don't buy this game because it doesn't have GMC or a deep story mode. As it is now, it caters to hardcore and casuals alike, but many people think just because them and their friends only a particular mode, that's how everyone feels when in actuality you make up a very small part of the community.

There's a lot of people saying the game needs to be improved, but very little input on what actually should be improved. For years people screamed that EA doesn't listen. Now they are screaming for EA not to listen. That's why you can't make a game that caters to one audience. There are too many differing opinions on what makes a good hockey game.

As far as bi-annual releases go, I don't see how taking time off makes things better. As it is now, they can make changes based on feedback from the current game and continued to get input on them instead of waiting 2 years, then using that feedback to tune and improve. I'd rather it stay annual. I feel better change comes faster that way.

VeNOM2099 wrote: »
    Jonogunn wrote: »

2K did have the better product, but their marketing was just not on the same level as EA's. Also, the mistake 2K did with their NHL product is in trying to imp EA's while not matching them in graphics and presentation.

2K has since not had any interest in producing an NHL game. Even if EA would to stop making an NHL game, 2K would likely still not jump on board. Even their NHL 2K game on mobile was recently discontinued. Looks like we're gonna be stuck with EA for the foreseeable future or nothing at all.

Which is why I think it's important to keep insisting that EA keep improving on this series.

2K did not have a better product. If their product was superior, their sales and longevity would have reflected that.

Sure, I am willing to agree that play on the ice was more realistic and logical, but that's where it ends. EA had the lead in every other department, especially graphics and presentation.