EA Forums - Banner

NHL 20 Content Update October 1st

Check out our latest content update, bug fixes & key areas on which we need your feedback here.

And just like that...the optimism faded

Replies

• D19Box wrote: »
    VeNOM2099 wrote: »
    I guess I should've really said IMPROVE rather than REVERT. I've always been a big proponent of moving forward, and returning back to a previous version seems like it would be counterproductive to that ideal.

But yeah... This year I held off until about a week before the game came out to pre-order it. And it was a near thing because it was a few weeks after the BETA and there were still many issues present in that BETA that were kinda holding my decision back. Still, I trusted that this time, it would be different.

And it was for a while. For a while, skill was rewarded...

I feel bad because after playing the beta I sold my buddies on the game who didn't buy 17 or 18 after trying those editions out. TPS was gone, it felt fast, hitting was a blast. I loved it and my boys caved to my sales pitch and bought 19. Fast forward 6 weeks, post tuners, and they hate it again. I'm back to working franchise mode solo using the beta/original tuner and they're out $60 each. Bums me out.

Don't feel bad. Your buddies are quitters. They should feel bad.
  • VeNOM2099 wrote: »
    I guess I should've really said IMPROVE rather than REVERT. I've always been a big proponent of moving forward, and returning back to a previous version seems like it would be counterproductive to that ideal.

But yeah... This year I held off until about a week before the game came out to pre-order it. And it was a near thing because it was a few weeks after the BETA and there were still many issues present in that BETA that were kinda holding my decision back. Still, I trusted that this time, it would be different.

The game is more fun when there is skill. Who wants every game to play out the same? Notice after the nerfing happed, a lot of players went back to their “cheesing way.” They won’t play team hockey, they just try to hit the wrister and not bother to pass. How is this fun?
  • EpiCxOwNeD wrote: »

The game is more fun when there is skill. Who wants every game to play out the same? Notice after the nerfing happed, a lot of players went back to their “cheesing way.” They won’t play team hockey, they just try to hit the wrister and not bother to pass. How is this fun?

That's the problem EA made this game so that there is less creativity Involved causing it to be less fun only tedious and boring
  • sgiz1 wrote: »
    It is slower now,

Which may not be EA, as they claim they haven't adjusted speed at all.

But it's still EA's doing because from Beta to full release, there is a much larger community playing on the servers after full release so the fast speed was on a open server and the slower speed is likely because the server is bottlenecked, high traffic, bogged down, etc.

Either way it's on EA, for slowing the game or not providing a good online experience (neglect) causing bogged down server performance for a large % of their community.

Mid Atlantic east coaster here. Population 85% of the time is Low. 15% is charitably normal. Still waiting for High. I’m guessing it’s not the servers.
    All Comments pertain to 6v6 drop in unless otherwise stated..
  • PadrinoIV wrote: »
    zingaa1 wrote: »
    I don't ever remember reading this many bad reviews for one of their games, ever.

Actually, every review site like IGN and Gamespot gave their game glowing reviews. EA even sent out an email recently praising how GREATLY reviewed NHL 19 was...

The negativity comes from the fanbase who are exasperated with the changes that were made. I don't think it was intentional to mess up the skating like it was after the last tuner, but it's obvious those tweaks negatively impacted the gameplay for many. Especially the competitive community. Heck, they even sabotaged their OWN Content Creators (now confusingly called "Game Changers" even though they have NO say in how the game is actually changed). People like JERZNetwork, Himoccio, Nuge who've been promoting NHL on their Twitch channel for years, they don't play the game as much (or at all). Youtubers like BaconCountry and Jonlol barely put up any NHL content anymore, unless it's to rant about how bad the game's become.

They even went as far as sabotaging the game for League gamers like LG and X1 and such, by making matchmaking with another club (among other things) a nightmare!

I don't know if EA can fix this. I don't even think it's in their budget or roadmap to even release another patch/tuner for this game. In past years 2-3 updates was the maximum they'd do.

I hate to say it. I hope I'm wrong, but this is probably the way the game will stay until next year. I don't blame the devs. I think Ben ( @NHLDev ) and his crew initially delivered us a great playing hockey game. Just some decisions from higher in the chain of command to appease the whining throngs of RB/L2 mashers sadly destroyed all of that hard work.

Wow. I agree. But you really think they won't revert it back ? I mean it's clear the key words everyone is saying around is "Get us back to beta!" lol

Even if they did want to roll it back its not that easy. If they do a full roll back to day 1 they lose everything else they have fixed. If they try ciphen through all the tweaks and changes to skating, agility, acceleration, speed and turning they will likely not get the same as day 1. My guess is they try tweak to get it closer to day 1 but too much has change IMO.
  • it's just my hope that those players that choose to stop playing are those that beat me in the online games so maybe i can move up from division 8
  • rcompton78 wrote: »
    PadrinoIV wrote: »
    I don't ever remember reading this many bad reviews for one of their games, ever.

Actually, every review site like IGN and Gamespot gave their game glowing reviews. EA even sent out an email recently praising how GREATLY reviewed NHL 19 was...

The negativity comes from the fanbase who are exasperated with the changes that were made. I don't think it was intentional to mess up the skating like it was after the last tuner, but it's obvious those tweaks negatively impacted the gameplay for many. Especially the competitive community. Heck, they even sabotaged their OWN Content Creators (now confusingly called "Game Changers" even though they have NO say in how the game is actually changed). People like JERZNetwork, Himoccio, Nuge who've been promoting NHL on their Twitch channel for years, they don't play the game as much (or at all). Youtubers like BaconCountry and Jonlol barely put up any NHL content anymore, unless it's to rant about how bad the game's become.

They even went as far as sabotaging the game for League gamers like LG and X1 and such, by making matchmaking with another club (among other things) a nightmare!

I don't know if EA can fix this. I don't even think it's in their budget or roadmap to even release another patch/tuner for this game. In past years 2-3 updates was the maximum they'd do.

I hate to say it. I hope I'm wrong, but this is probably the way the game will stay until next year. I don't blame the devs. I think Ben ( @NHLDev ) and his crew initially delivered us a great playing hockey game. Just some decisions from higher in the chain of command to appease the whining throngs of RB/L2 mashers sadly destroyed all of that hard work.

Wow. I agree. But you really think they won't revert it back ? I mean it's clear the key words everyone is saying around is "Get us back to beta!" lol

Even if they did want to roll it back its not that easy. If they do a full roll back to day 1 they lose everything else they have fixed. If they try ciphen through all the tweaks and changes to skating, agility, acceleration, speed and turning they will likely not get the same as day 1. My guess is they try tweak to get it closer to day 1 but too much has change IMO.

What is it you consider as "fixed" ?

Unless you are a puck ragger, everything else feels worse, or is worse than the release or beta versions.
  • Does Div 1 have to have the same tuner/slider as Div 8?
    Its possible that the division-split demographics have different needs, just as HUT and EASHL do.
    EASHL player
  • Maybe we should try reverse psychology next year. If they release a perfectly tuned beta let’s just all say it’s awful so they don’t change anything?

In all the years of them releasing a beta this gen I’ve never seen so much positive reaction. The wholesale changes to the tuner literally make no sense whatsoever. Isn’t the whole point of a beta to gauge community feedback and adjust accordingly, or not adjust at all if it’s well received?
  • rcompton78 wrote: »
    PadrinoIV wrote: »

What is it you consider as "fixed" ?

Unless you are a puck ragger, everything else feels worse, or is worse than the release or beta versions.

I meant everything else that was not skating or even gameplay related. They have builds that they release and rolling back to a previous build does not allow them to pick and choose what from that build they want. There has been more bug fixes and changes than just skating mechanics since day 1. They would lose all of that or they would have to go through all their GUT commits (assuming they are on GIT) since day 1 and revert only those hoping that would bring gameplay back to day 1.

All I was trying to say is that its not as easy as pressing a button. Having said this, assuming they do want to try and get gameplay back to day 1 for the fan base. I am assuming they are indeed going through all commits 1 by 1 trying reverting ones that have to do with skating and gameplay mechanics to get day 1 feel. Its a long process and the end result may never be what most of us (including myself) loved.
  • NHLDev
    1336 posts NHL Developer
    edited November 2018
    Maybe we should try reverse psychology next year. If they release a perfectly tuned beta let’s just all say it’s awful so they don’t change anything?

In all the years of them releasing a beta this gen I’ve never seen so much positive reaction. The wholesale changes to the tuner literally make no sense whatsoever. Isn’t the whole point of a beta to gauge community feedback and adjust accordingly, or not adjust at all if it’s well received?

That is actually why we didn't change much at all from the Beta other than places where we got feedback where things could be improved. The two key areas were pokechecking vs tripping penalties and player differentiation in skating.

For pokes and tripping, we held our ground in the overall direction and only added in the changes that were already complete for the Day 0 patch before we got feedback from Beta and hoped they would make up the delta in the cases that people called out as undeserved trips -- needing to get a slightly bigger piece of the player to cause a trip by shrinking in the collision volumes a bit so that just a hair of contact wouldn't trip anymore and fixing a few bugs where getting puck first wasn't negating the trip from happening. Other than that, the tripping logic is the same as it was.

For skating, we increased the range in the impact agility has on players so that worse skaters weren't as agile as the best skaters. This change happened during the Beta and it wasn't until we added the other attempted change in the 1.2 patch that people started to call out the difference in pivoting. In our testing, that last change in 1.2 actually didn't really work and didn't have an impact so we started to look at what else people may feel. From what we can tell, it was the consistency changes for vision control that would have changed and possibly had an impact on what people were doing on the controller from muscle memory to work around those inconsistencies that created the biggest change for them. Those consistency changes were great for the game though as it meant more reliability in pivot directions and what way you wanted your player to turn to, etc.. If it meant that people had to relearn a few pieces that they were taking advantage of, it was worth it, since overall things were more consistent.

In that time, players have adapted to the game and are better at using the stick mechanics and skating and players have moved up the ranks to play better and better competition. That in a lot of cases has a bigger impact on players perception of how the game plays than any of the changes in the tuner that are dialing things in.

For modes where players are able to switch players, we made further changes to coincide with the big changes we made this year to defensive ai in non player locked games. When we launched the Beta, we already had defensive actions muted for the ai but skill zone was still getting called out. We waited on this one for a while to see if people were adapting and to see what the skill gap looked like in competitive play. We decided to make a few more tuning changes around this direction to see if we could improve things further and increase the skill gap further for playing defense in those games.

The last change we made that has met some contention was based on feedback that defenders weren't punished enough for getting beat and still able to push players off the puck from behind at low relative speeds when they actually weren't able to catch up and get that leverage. We waited a while on this one as overall the game was behaving as intended and if we did anything, we wanted to make an isolated change to try and fix that issue when we did agree with the cases of players getting shoved off the puck too easily from behind at low relative speeds. The previous tuning was a bit extreme and it made sense to try this change to fine tune it to remove those cases. Even though people will say players can protect the puck all day, it still has to do with limiting relative speed of the collision and defenders having to be smarter about where and how they commit.

Post edited by NHLDev on
  • NHLDev wrote: »
    Maybe we should try reverse psychology next year. If they release a perfectly tuned beta let’s just all say it’s awful so they don’t change anything?

That is actually why we didn't change much at all from the Beta other than places where we got feedback where things could be improved. The two key areas were pokechecking vs tripping penalties and player differentiation in skating.

For pokes and tripping, we held our ground in the overall direction and only added in the changes that were already complete for the Day 0 patch before we got feedback from Beta and hoped they would make up the delta in the cases that people called out as undeserved trips -- needing to get a slightly bigger piece of the player to cause a trip by shrinking in the collision volumes a bit so that just a hair of contact wouldn't trip anymore and fixing a few bugs where getting puck first wasn't negating the trip from happening. Other than that, the tripping logic is the same as it was.

For skating, we increased the range in the impact agility has on players so that worse skaters weren't as agile as the best skaters. This change happened during the Beta and it wasn't until we added the other attempted change in the 1.2 patch that people started to call out the difference in pivoting. In our testing, that last change in 1.2 actually didn't really work and didn't have an impact so we started to look at what else people may feel. From what we can tell, it was the consistency changes for vision control that would have changed and possibly had an impact on what people were doing on the controller from muscle memory to work around those inconsistencies that created the biggest change for them. Those consistency changes were great for the game though as it meant more reliability in pivot directions and what way you wanted your player to turn to, etc.. If it meant that people had to relearn a few pieces that they were taking advantage of, it was worth it, since overall things were more consistent.

In that time, players have adapted to the game and are better at using the stick mechanics and skating and players have moved up the ranks to play better and better competition. That in a lot of cases has a bigger impact on players perception of how the game plays than any of the changes in the tuner that are dialing things in.

For modes where players are able to switch players, we made further changes to coincide with the big changes we made this year to defensive ai in non player locked games. When we launched the Beta, we already had defensive actions muted for the ai but skill zone was still getting called out. We wanted on this one for a while to see if people were adapting and to see what the skill gap looked like in competitive play. We decided to make a few more tuning changes around this direction to see if we could improve things further and increase the skill gap further for playing defense in those games.

The last change we made that has met some contention was based on feedback that defenders weren't punished enough for getting beat and still able to push players off the puck from behind at low relative speeds when they actually weren't able to catch up and get that leverage. We waited a while on this one as overall the game was behaving as intended and if we did anything, we wanted to make an isolated change to try and fix that issue when we did agree with the cases of players getting shoved off the puck too easily from behind at low relative speeds. The previous tuning was a bit extreme and it made sense to try this change to fine tune it to remove those cases. Even though people will say players can protect the puck all day, it still has to do with limiting relative speed of the collision and defenders having to be smarter about where and how they commit.

Well that is more insightful than the last 3 days of speculation. We need more of that.

Thanks for the explanation! Please change it back. One big problem is that it has ruined online 1 vs 1 modes with the type of play it encourages. Is that considered in your analysis for when to tune the game? And would you say you think that BaconCountry video reflects more realistic hockey than pre-tuning?

As for your last sentence and the justification of “defenders having to be smarter,” why is that the logic that won out? Why is not “offensive players need be smarter about not ragging the puck so we’re not going to change our widely-loved game to reward that”?

Skating in circles at low speeds for minutes on end playing one man keep away is neither smart nor realistic hockey play that needs to be rewarded. This is particularly true now where AI players actions against the puck carrier are muted, leaving the defending player less able to trap.

Thanks again for posting, reading, and engaging.
  • OvenMitts91
    62 posts Member
    edited November 2018
    Thanks for the thorough response, but that doesn’t really address the questions or issues on the skating.

If I control for build, HUT Mackinnon and my EASHL build now feel awful and have a massively diminished toolkit compared to Mackinnon and my EASHL build during the beta. We went from getting something that was really close to simulating the rush, nuance, and speed of actual skating, back to NHL 15-18 skating akin to controlling an 18-wheeler in GTA V. The change in spread between player ratings has nothing to do with the fact that every build across the board feels significantly worse. Changing the spread between high attribute and low attribute builds- ok fine. Changing the baseline level of agility and responsiveness- no one asked for that. The number one thing people were happy about on beta day 1 was the fact that we could actually pivot and accelerate out of turns for the first time in 4 years.

Further - Moving up the leaderboards having an impact is pure speculation and frankly a bit belittling to your player base-

1. The 6v6 community has been largely the same for years and doesn’t really play ranked games.

2. Most guys play this game for hours on end and can very quickly discern if their player/players feel different based on controller inputs. Has nothing to do with the opponent.

3. The current tuner feels almost identical to NHL 18. Not much adapting required- we’ve had this game since September 2017.
    Post edited by OvenMitts91 on
  • I thought the only people that were annoyed with getting bumped off the puck from behind were complaining because it was about the ai being stupidly overpowered on their hitting, not human controlled players...

In all of the clips it was ai hitting people off the puck.

Did I miss a whole group of people complaining about that? Or was it the Gamechangers?

Can we please admit the "tuning of player differentiation" thing backfired? I hardly notice a difference now between a player with beautiful edgework in Crosby VS some 4th line scrub.

I'll give props to the poke check. Much better now in my opinion.
  • I thought the only people that were annoyed with getting bumped off the puck from behind were complaining because it was about the ai being stupidly overpowered on their hitting, not human controlled players...

In all of the clips it was ai hitting people off the puck.

Did I miss a whole group of people complaining about that? Or was it the Gamechangers?

Can we please admit the "tuning of player differentiation" thing backfired? I hardly notice a difference now between a player with beautiful edgework in Crosby VS some 4th line scrub.

I'll give props to the poke check. Much better now in my opinion.

I'm not sure what's going on with EA NHL management, but I have no idea why they nerfed the human aspect and didn't touch ANYTHING from the AI EASHL perspective. They're literally the same OP AI they have been from the get go.

For modes where players are able to switch players, we made further changes to coincide with the big changes we made this year to defensive ai in non player locked games. When we launched the Beta, we already had defensive actions muted for the ai but skill zone was still getting called out. We waited on this one for a while to see if people were adapting and to see what the skill gap looked like in competitive play. We decided to make a few more tuning changes around this direction to see if we could improve things further and increase the skill gap further for playing defense in those games.

Agility seems to be on point but imo a larger discrepancy with acceleration/speed is important as well. Crossovers should maintain speed after a good hustle instead of losing it. Back skating acceleration seems far too fast as well considering how little strides are taken. Reaching top speed should be directly correlated to how many strides one takes(Crossovers and full on strides forward and backwards).
  • KidShowtime1867
    949 posts Member
    edited November 2018
    NHLDev wrote: »

I hope this comment doesn't get lost in the shuffle. It's the main reason why we hear a lot of 'beta was better' on the forums, reddit, etc.

The beta was 'better' because you faced competition still learning how to master the game.

After a couple of months, you end up playing against people who've gotten VERY good at the mechanics.. and then you start to hear 'beta was better!'

• OvenMitts91
    62 posts Member
    edited November 2018
    Better doesn’t equal winning more. Better is a game that is more fun to play. How is that not clear? I’m still blowing people out most games in HUT, except it’s boring as anything to play as skating and the skill stick have been completely nerfed compared to the beta and old gen.

If you take the same 12 top players playing each other 6v6, have them say the beta is great, and the game is now terrible, how does that have anything to do with “mastering the mechanics”. The 6s community top players have largely been the same for years with some turnover on the margin.

At the end of the day hockey is still hockey. Ability to read plays, react, etc is the same year over year. The buttons haven’t changed, and the mechanics haven’t changed much year over year.

This is why the top players typically stay at the top. It’s not like NHL 18 to 19 was like learning an entirely new control scheme for a new god of war game, lol.
    Post edited by OvenMitts91 on
  • @NHLDev

As far as I can tell, the changes affected players pivoting in that now there are a lot more 360° spins when trying to stop and move into a new direction (just as was the problem with NHL 18). I agree with the view that players with less skating ability needed to be differentiated from players with higher skating ability, but something went askew at some point. It's especially noticeable when your d-man receives the puck at the blue line and instead of staying facing the net, he'll now sometimes spin around and cross the puck back out causing an offside.

The other issue that affects users that try to play defensively is that DSS is now almost as much of a liability as poking or stick lifting from bad angles. I had a game last night where I was just had my stick out straight in front of me trying to knock the puck off my opponent as he was weaving left and right trying to get me to move out of position. I didn't budge, but he continued and skated into my blade and went down like a sack of potatoes. 2 Minutes for tripping... Other times when I accidently poke out of position or try to stick lift and miss, I'll accept that as those are my fault. But I don't understand why DSS needed to be tweaked to make it the way it is now, almost on par with poking?

If anything DSS needed a buff to allow it to create MORE incidental contact and knock the puck off a stick so players would want to use it more instead of the poke check, hitting or stick lifting.

Where I would once dominate defensively and not allow my opponents any chances, now I have to play a cat and mouse game with him. Keeping my body within range, but not really capable of doing anything for fear or getting called. Because if I put out my stick, he'll just knick it with his skates and go down. If I poke, he goes down. If I hit him near the boards, I get a boarding penalty. If I try to stick lift him, he's weaving left and right and I'll catch his hand instead of the puck. So all I can do is wait and watch as he dances like a ballerina in the corner, hoping that when he does finally pass the puck, it won't go through 3 of my players for an easy one-t goal for him.

One thing I would like to see in the future (if it isn't already there in the game) is to have contested shots or passes be less accurate. If I have my stick out and I'm using it to cover your shot or passing lane, making it CONTESTED, it should be less accurate just like in real life as the player is trying to get around my screen.
    YouTube: VeNOM3099
    Twitch: twitch.tv/venom3099