EA Forums - Banner

Would you wait a year?

2Next

Replies

• Instead of EA coming out with a game in 2020, would you guys be willing to wait a year for a ‘21 game if it meant actually having a complete game?

Yes and no.
    I would buy every year IF I could still play on something like my cellphone. Like how Fortnite and ARK are, and I would even shell out the money for a cell controller. But that’s it, it’s an odd reason, but I love hockey and I want to play hockey on and off the ice. But the time I can actually find to sit down and play on console, and the game is incomplete? It’s disgusting now. Like the only thing I want is to play with legends on a Create-A-Team, and it’s yet included like they promised....

I just can’t afford 60$ Anymore, plus online for CHEL, and be disappointed with the lack of fulfillment offline.....

Again I would pay $60 or a monthly subscription IF I could play on IOS with a controller like fortnite and ARK, but how can this developement team do that if they can even put legends in ONLY HUT
  • Jonogunn wrote: »
    Yes. One year is not enough time to develop a new product let alone year after year.

I hope 2K is hearing all this negative feedback regarding EA NHL and decide it’s a good time to jump back into the series

Again, I must say this. 2K left, and there is a reason why. Had they been the better product, they would have stayed around.

Both EA and 2K both suffered issues in their own ways. In the end, like it or not, EA overall did have the better representation. Or at least, seems logical it was the lesser of 2 evils, or simply more fun for whatever reasons.

To argue that 2K would force EA to improve, that is another discussion and obviously it is possible. I just find it to be a little unlikely.
    VeNOM2099 wrote: »
    Jonogunn wrote: »
    Yes. One year is not enough time to develop a new product let alone year after year.

I hope 2K is hearing all this negative feedback regarding EA NHvL and decide it’s a good time to jump back into the series

Again, I must say this. 2K left, and there is a reason why. Had they been the better product, they would have stayed around.

Both EA and 2K both suffered issues in their own ways. In the end, like it or not, EA overall did have the better representation. Or at least, seems logical it was the lesser of 2 evils, or simply more fun for whatever reasons.

To argue that 2K would force EA to improve, that is another discussion and obviously it is possible. I just find it to be a little unlikely.

2K did have the better product, but their marketing was just not on the same level as EA's. Also, the mistake 2K did with their NHL product is in trying to imp EA's while not matching them in graphics and presentation.

2K has since not had any interest in producing an NHL game. Even if EA would to stop making an NHL game, 2K would likely still not jump on board. Even their NHL 2K game on mobile was recently discontinued. Looks like we're gonna be stuck with EA for the foreseeable future or nothing at all.

Which is why I think it's important to keep insisting that EA keep improving on this series.

2K did not have a better product. If their product was superior, their sales and longevity would have reflected that.

Sure, I am willing to agree that play on the ice was more realistic and logical, but that's where it ends. EA had the lead in every other department, especially graphics and presentation.

VERY UNLIKELY do you think 2K’s The Golf Club and 2kNBA will force EA to improve PGA Tour and NBA Live? PGA is discontinued and nba live may have only a quarter compared to nba 2k
  • Sinbin wrote: »
    Instead of EA coming out with a game in 2020, would you guys be willing to wait a year for a ‘21 game if it meant actually having a complete game?

No I wouldn't.

Simply put, NHL 16 to 19 have not impressed me in the least. 19 was off to a great start and then was trashed with 18 tuning.

So, 16 to 19 is 4 years, and yet look at where we are. Don't see how 19 to 21 would be impressive in any way.

I agree. I don't understand how every other AAA developing company has managed to make top notch games and the only company that makes sports games still hasn't figured out how "next gen" console hardware/software operates. The excuse that the NHL series gets no budget is played out. They can use tech from other EA series and implement that in if it worked for them. They should remove a lot of useless modes like Season, NHL 3s, etc. then focused primarily on the EASHL core and I suppose HUT to an extent. Devote all their time into the only 2 modes people care about online and leave Franchise for offline. There doesn't need to be 10 variations wrapped up into 1 game.

Those modes that you think are useless bring people in. Just because you don't like them, it doesn't mean nobody is playing them. This game is more than EASHL and HUT. Focusing on one over the other is going to be bad for the game as a whole. There is a very diverse audience for this game. Neglecting big chunks of them isn't good. There are plenty of people that don't buy this game because it doesn't have GMC or a deep story mode. As it is now, it caters to hardcore and casuals alike, but many people think just because them and their friends only a particular mode, that's how everyone feels when in actuality you make up a very small part of the community.

There's a lot of people saying the game needs to be improved, but very little input on what actually should be improved. For years people screamed that EA doesn't listen. Now they are screaming for EA not to listen. That's why you can't make a game that caters to one audience. There are too many differing opinions on what makes a good hockey game.

As far as bi-annual releases go, I don't see how taking time off makes things better. As it is now, they can make changes based on feedback from the current game and continued to get input on them instead of waiting 2 years, then using that feedback to tune and improve. I'd rather it stay annual. I feel better change comes faster that way.

Nobody buys this game to play NHL 3s and it makes no sense to play Season mode when there's Franchise mode. Their bread and butter to attract customers is EASHL n HUT. The day EA has commercials/trailers or articles promoting them useless modes will make me eat my words. How many people said "OMG there's a free for all 3s mode, I'm pre-ording this game asap, that looks like so much fun and has tremendous replay value"? Can you provide any proof on the people who don't buy this game because there's no "deep story mode"? Also, please explain how the people that only play (EASHL n HUT) make up a small part of the community?

I made a post on what needs addressed but it must have been to much content to keep anyone's attention. Everyone wants a balanced game, even playing field. It has never been that way. Its favored towards offense and has been since day 1.
  • PrototypeX85
    115 posts Member
    edited November 2018
    They need to just stop with the yearly releases. Some of us got royally screwed out of our money with NHL 19 and have no intention of buying another game from the series in the future. Just make an "NHL" and update is as needed.

Also, I think people forget that there is a good reason that 2K NHL no longer exists. EA's games were just better. That said, EA's games were better because they were forced to be in order to compete with 2K. Without that competition, the series has gone so far downhill over the past handful of years. Who cares about putting out a competent product when loyal hockey fans have no other option?
  • They need to just stop with the yearly releases. Some of us got royally screwed out of our money with NHL 19 and have no intention of buying another game from the series in the future. Just make an "NHL" and update is as needed.

Also, I think people forget that there is a good reason that 2K NHL no longer exists. EA's games were just better. That said, EA's games were better because they were forced to be in order to compete with 2K. Without that competition, the series has gone so far downhill over the past handful of years. Who cares about putting out a competent product when loyal hockey fans have no other option?

I do not agree at all with this. NBA Live is a great example. Despite a bigger budget and market share than NHL, that series can only hope and dream to be even 30% of what 2K does for basketball games.

NHL games were good back in the day because they were simpler to code, and didn't have 246 modes to play. This hockey game is trying to do way too much with way too little resources.

You want my opinion, this game needs to drop everything except for HUT, VS, and EASHL. Should also drop Ones and 3s. This is about all this team can manage. They are obviously spread way too thin and no matter what they add, or what modes they want to work on, they have to neglect too many other things just to crunch it in. Every single mode has bugs and issues. Every single mode suffers in many ways just so we can have more ways to play bugged hockey. What a joke.
  • Instead of EA coming out with a game in 2020, would you guys be willing to wait a year for a ‘21 game if it meant actually having a complete game?

No I wouldn't.

Simply put, NHL 16 to 19 have not impressed me in the least. 19 was off to a great start and then was trashed with 18 tuning.

So, 16 to 19 is 4 years, and yet look at where we are. Don't see how 19 to 21 would be impressive in any way.

I agree. I don't understand how every other AAA developing company has managed to make top notch games and the only company that makes sports games still hasn't figured out how "next gen" console hardware/software operates. The excuse that the NHL series gets no budget is played out. They can use tech from other EA series and implement that in if it worked for them. They should remove a lot of useless modes like Season, NHL 3s, etc. then focused primarily on the EASHL core and I suppose HUT to an extent. Devote all their time into the only 2 modes people care about online and leave Franchise for offline. There doesn't need to be 10 variations wrapped up into 1 game.

True. Too much stuff for a low budget. Focus.
  • They need to just stop with the yearly releases. Some of us got royally screwed out of our money with NHL 19 and have no intention of buying another game from the series in the future. Just make an "NHL" and update is as needed.

I do not agree at all with this. NBA Live is a great example. Despite a bigger budget and market share than NHL, that series can only hope and dream to be even 30% of what 2K does for basketball games.

NHL games were good back in the day because they were simpler to code, and didn't have 246 modes to play. This hockey game is trying to do way too much with way too little resources.

You want my opinion, this game needs to drop everything except for HUT, VS, and EASHL. Should also drop Ones and 3s. This is about all this team can manage. They are obviously spread way too thin and no matter what they add, or what modes they want to work on, they have to neglect too many other things just to crunch it in. Every single mode has bugs and issues. Every single mode suffers in many ways just so we can have more ways to play bugged hockey. What a joke.

Exactly. Focus, get to the core and make it good. We are your hardcore clients.
  • I was gonna be done with NHL after 18. Low and behold the boys and I downloaded the 19 beta and were thoroughly impressed. That optimism quickly faded tho. This year was the last straw for us...the beta was pretty darn good...ya it needed some refinements/tweaks...but what we have now is so drastically far from the beta that its a joke. Done giving any money to this franchise, especially after this seasons debacle. Maybe in 5 years or so they'll get it together, but I highly doubt it. Hopefully by then, someone else is making NHL games that we can enjoy.