EA Forums - Banner

Defensive Play in this game is torturous, trying to help

Big_Sleezy_00
6 posts Member
edited November 2018
Ok guys, i don't post often if ever i think. Anyways, I'm in LG and I've come to the conclusion that something needs done about the state of the defensive play out there. Honestly, game changing penalty calls are being made on the ice that are just not making sense out there. I understand the blatant trip, or the errant stick lift. But interference calls in front of the net for stick tying, is obnoxious on d. ESPECIALLY, when you didn't even get a stick tie off. Right now the in front of the net play is so difficult to tie guys up as a defensemen, you have to literally face away from the play often times which leaves you open to the cross crease or pass getting through to square up to the guy you want to tie. It's just got terrible flow. The animation is too finnicky at the moment. What the forwards are doing in front of the net are just standing there waiting for the auto tip, and we as defensemen are left tool less to do anything about it much of the time. Both the stick tie and the triangle tie up in front of the net are non factors at this point. With that said all the forward has to really do to keep from being stick tied or triangle tied is just hold L2 and skate mini circles in front of the net or in the close slot. You as a defensemen will never be able to initiate any of your ties at that point because there is too much movement for the animation to trigger, and then you have to rely on the RNG of the auto poke to stop the passes, or near perfect body positioning with RNG. Body positioning is crucial as defensemen, as it always has been, but right now a defensemen has very few tools to deal with the forwards, and it's even worse to have to rely on RNG with the auto pokes or auto blocks. I hope someone else can weigh in on this. I would definitely be willing to work with any developers on making the game better. I'm open for conversation and i'm not trying to bash anyone or the game, i'm just trying to help the community.

https://clips.twitch.tv/AffluentJollyHyenaHeyGirl

this has happened to me a couple times now, and it's really game breaking. I have other examples, but i'd have to track them down in my previous video's.

Take it easy, keep it Sleezy.

Replies

• TheMajjam
    794 posts Member
    edited November 2018
    It just plain sucks man. You can't ever use your stick for fear of picking up a penalty. Can't tie up because you'll get a penalty. Can't take the body because close in checks aren't there anymore. Defense was fun at the beginning, but now I'm just a forward playing D these days. There's very little you can do about it other than try to keep between the puck carrier and the guy in front of the net.
  • I am a center so I do also use the tie up mechanics. It is absolutely infuriating. My teammates can attest that most of the time in our zone is accompanied by me constantly saying "can I get your stick?" because it is so damn hard to tie someone up. Just have to find a middle ground. Right now I'd say it's 20% effective and it'd be preferable if it was at 50%.
  • Agreed then the tie up feature and the ability for d to have a net front presence is sorely lacking and it's way too inconsistent to be relied upon.

• Ok guys, i don't post often if ever i think. Anyways, I'm in LG and I've come to the conclusion that something needs done about the state of the defensive play out there. Honestly, game changing penalty calls are being made on the ice that are just not making sense out there. I understand the blatant trip, or the errant stick lift. But interference calls in front of the net for stick tying, is obnoxious on d. ESPECIALLY, when you didn't even get a stick tie off. Right now the in front of the net play is so difficult to tie guys up as a defensemen, you have to literally face away from the play often times which leaves you open to the cross crease or pass getting through to square up to the guy you want to tie. It's just got terrible flow. The animation is too finnicky at the moment. What the forwards are doing in front of the net are just standing there waiting for the auto tip, and we as defensemen are left tool less to do anything about it much of the time. Both the stick tie and the triangle tie up in front of the net are non factors at this point. With that said all the forward has to really do to keep from being stick tied or triangle tied is just hold L2 and skate mini circles in front of the net or in the close slot. You as a defensemen will never be able to initiate any of your ties at that point because there is too much movement for the animation to trigger, and then you have to rely on the RNG of the auto poke to stop the passes, or near perfect body positioning with RNG. Body positioning is crucial as defensemen, as it always has been, but right now a defensemen has very few tools to deal with the forwards, and it's even worse to have to rely on RNG with the auto pokes or auto blocks. I hope someone else can weigh in on this. I would definitely be willing to work with any developers on making the game better. I'm open for conversation and i'm not trying to bash anyone or the game, i'm just trying to help the community.

https://clips.twitch.tv/AffluentJollyHyenaHeyGirl

this has happened to me a couple times now, and it's really game breaking. I have other examples, but i'd have to track them down in my previous video's.

Take it easy, keep it Sleezy.

Hey EA!!! What HE ^^^^^ SAID! Couldn’t agree more with everything this guy said!
  • Thanks guys, Is there any way i could get into contact with some devs? I'd love to help them figure stuff out. I'm here to help, this game is important to my league community, and I just want the defensive side to have some justice.
  • NHLDev
    1680 posts EA NHL Developer
    Thanks guys, Is there any way i could get into contact with some devs? I'd love to help them figure stuff out. I'm here to help, this game is important to my league community, and I just want the defensive side to have some justice.

So you were attempting to start an extended stick tie up when this happened? (i.e. holding the A button?) or were you Trying for a net battle? (holding the Y button)

Was the puck possessed by the other team, your team or loose when you did it?

Thanks.

• https://clips.twitch.tv/LuckyUgliestCroissantGrammarKing

as the play was going on, it looks like the puck was loose at the time the penalty was called. I know i would have been focusing on the guy sitting in the slot that the penalty got called on, and trying to hold x for an extended stick tie up. And guaranteed that's what happened, i got close enough to the forward to halfway start the stick tie animation, but he kept moving and the animation got canceled. Resulting in me not touching the guy, but the game recognizing the interference call as when the animation was going to begin i was a hair too far from the net.

The animation never fired, which is what the problem is on defense. There is often too much movement coming out of the forwards for the stick tie animation or the regular Hold Triangle tie to initiate. Right now in competitive league games, the defense are kind of hamstrung because as long as the forward stays in some kind of motion with L2 held, it's almost impossible to initiate a tie up, and as you are going for it, you won't get an animation, and may draw a penalty. It's not consistent in it's application. Which causes scenario's like this to happen.

In total this add's to the "finnickyness" of how defensive play is happening right now. I know i try to use all the tools afforded to me in front of the goalie, there is just inconsistency in the implementation of some of those tools which makes defensemen overly cautious on defense, which in turn can break games open. Just as the forwards have so many amazing tools available to them this year, defense needs theirs back as well. (i know i'm repeating myself)

The tie up system in front of the net should be fully utilizeable by defensemen to offset the plethora of offensive tools that forwards have at this time. We have the tools everyone else has and the defensive skill stick, however it's the d's job to have that presence in front of the net and we are unable to bring it, aside from good positioning.

helpful suggestion. It would be amazing if the board pin button/ net battle button (triangle) would be more accessible in the CHEL. For example, it would serve greatly if it were instead in the (square) position as square has no real roal in gameplay aside from tactics in which case gameplay should come first(imho), so that way it's close to the stick tie button, and a quick touch over. It in my opinion is ergonomically better for defense. You could make an alternate controller layout with maybe those buttons switched?

Take it easy, Keep It Sleezy.
  • ExSnake01
    466 posts Member
    edited November 2018
    I used to be able to poke and stick lift fine before the latest update. I honestly can't figure out now. Sometimes it works fine but other times, the poke/lift are penalty buttons. I mainly just resort to hitting now.
  • It's the lag , pure and simple. That changes from game to game just a little, and the timing is off compared with the previous game.
  • I rather don't poke, or lift stick. Just trying to point my stick to the other player stick and hoping for contact. But this is not my strategy now. I'm using HH big guys and trying to hitting in defense, but better and quick players as we know is almost impossible to hit.
  • Sgt_Kelso
    1325 posts Member
    edited November 2018
    About the lag: yesterday I played one club game, and the ping was very erratic, it fluctuated between 34 and 40, and the line was very nervous, kinda like serrated line. Normally my ping stays as flat line whatever it is (around 30 to 35, where the latter feels pretty laggy).

The effect on this on the game was disastrous, our team just couldn't poke or stick-lift at all without getting penalties for every attempt. Multiple minutes of penalties, and most of players normally don't take too many. So the opponent walked all over us.

Plus getting wins in face-offs was impossible.
  • Regarding poke checks. @WainGretSki gave me a solid tip in that he’s running around with RB down and clicking R3 for the actual poking. I found this a little awkward so I remapped R3 to the right front paddle on the elite controller(B buttons pretty useless, right?) it’s not perfect, and I’m going to cut a few videos to illustrate some collision issues soon. However it’s really helped me make some plays and stay out of the box. Also, in. Im not running around with RB down on D..rather I’ve got..or am trying to work toward a 1,2,3 quick sequence where I’m moving the right stick in the direction of my attack, hitting RB and then clicking the paddle.
    All Comments pertain to 6v6 drop in unless otherwise stated..
  • I'd like to add that I feel that stick lift could get a buff too. I like that there's more penatlties being called than before, however, now when i'm the defensive player facing an opponent and he's coming towards me with the puck and we're face to face, i go to do a stick lift and get a slashing penalty... that's disheartening..

as the play was going on, it looks like the puck was loose at the time the penalty was called. I know i would have been focusing on the guy sitting in the slot that the penalty got called on, and trying to hold x for an extended stick tie up. And guaranteed that's what happened, i got close enough to the forward to halfway start the stick tie animation, but he kept moving and the animation got canceled. Resulting in me not touching the guy, but the game recognizing the interference call as when the animation was going to begin i was a hair too far from the net.

The animation never fired, which is what the problem is on defense. There is often too much movement coming out of the forwards for the stick tie animation or the regular Hold Triangle tie to initiate. Right now in competitive league games, the defense are kind of hamstrung because as long as the forward stays in some kind of motion with L2 held, it's almost impossible to initiate a tie up, and as you are going for it, you won't get an animation, and may draw a penalty. It's not consistent in it's application. Which causes scenario's like this to happen.

In total this add's to the "finnickyness" of how defensive play is happening right now. I know i try to use all the tools afforded to me in front of the goalie, there is just inconsistency in the implementation of some of those tools which makes defensemen overly cautious on defense, which in turn can break games open. Just as the forwards have so many amazing tools available to them this year, defense needs theirs back as well. (i know i'm repeating myself)

The tie up system in front of the net should be fully utilizeable by defensemen to offset the plethora of offensive tools that forwards have at this time. We have the tools everyone else has and the defensive skill stick, however it's the d's job to have that presence in front of the net and we are unable to bring it, aside from good positioning.

helpful suggestion. It would be amazing if the board pin button/ net battle button (triangle) would be more accessible in the CHEL. For example, it would serve greatly if it were instead in the (square) position as square has no real roal in gameplay aside from tactics in which case gameplay should come first(imho), so that way it's close to the stick tie button, and a quick touch over. It in my opinion is ergonomically better for defense. You could make an alternate controller layout with maybe those buttons switched?

The tie-up feature looks great offline and is borderline useless online. I get that the devs don’t want too much vacuum-like movement going on but the forwards skate way too much to actually use this feature effectively.

Nobody stands in-front still online looking for tips (at least at the very competitive levels) which makes the tieups useless. When you actually read a play and want to tie up a stick or body (say a scramble in-front or backdoor pss you see coming) you very rarely can actually get the animation to trigger.

It would be an amazing feature if you could actually use it online. Hopefully they can find a better balance with it.

The tie-up feature looks great offline and is borderline useless online. I get that the devs don’t want too much vacuum-like movement going on but the forwards skate way too much to actually use this feature effectively.

Nobody stands in-front still online looking for tips (at least at the very competitive levels) which makes the tieups useless. When you actually read a play and want to tie up a stick or body (say a scramble in-front or backdoor pss you see coming) you very rarely can actually get the animation to trigger.

It would be an amazing feature if you could actually use it online. Hopefully they can find a better balance with it.

i see where you're coming from buddy, at high levels you do not see people standing still, you're right. The problem is that the trigger "zone" for stick or triangle ties is too small, and not a threat in the least bit for forwards right now. With that being said, in competitive games i'm still able to catch guys on the cross crease waiting for the puck with a stick tie, and the puck goes right through us as i have him tied up. That's what the stick ties should be used for. We just need it balanced a bit better, because the trigger zone is far too small right now. You have to be at the right angle, and they have to be gliding or almost motionless. I'd like for the stick ties to be rebalanced overall, without blatant 4 foot cross net vacuum stick tie animations like in 18. A middle ground would be nice to put the fear of god back into some of the forwards coming into my area, cause they know they have to play at their best coming into the meat grinder. None of that mickey mouse hockey that's so common right now.
    In short i agree, that we need more tools.
  • I think it was 11 where the tie up actually made the offensive players stick, that was a nightmare.
  • True that their is a flaw in defensive zone in the situation you did describe. Big Sleezy. Defense need a little help on that one if possible.
  • Regarding poke checks. @WainGretSki gave me a solid tip in that he’s running around with RB down and clicking R3 for the actual poking. I found this a little awkward so I remapped R3 to the right front paddle on the elite controller(B buttons pretty useless, right?) it’s not perfect, and I’m going to cut a few videos to illustrate some collision issues soon. However it’s really helped me make some plays and stay out of the box. Also, in. Im not running around with RB down on D..rather I’ve got..or am trying to work toward a 1,2,3 quick sequence where I’m moving the right stick in the direction of my attack, hitting RB and then clicking the paddle.

That sounds interesting and I'm gonna try that next time I jump online to play but its absolutely ridiculous us defensemen need to press a sequence of buttons and the forwards can put the controller down n are next to impossible to separate from the puck.

Glad to hear it is helping you. I guess we customize its use according to our play style.

However, I never said I run around with RB down. I guess that isn't exactly what you meant literally.
    Mainly I use RB to cut off a path for a forward, or to guide him into certain areas. From there I aim before I poke which drastically reduces penalties. I got used to the R3 but to each our own I guess and we don't all have identical hands and whatnot.

Seems that even using this method I do at times get questionable penalties but I would say the vast majority of the time I see and agree with my penalties.

Anyways, glad to hear it is working for ya.