EA Forums - Banner

Do ratings actually matter?

I'm noticing that in every game gold rares play the same as legends or other special cards. They seem to be just as fast, just as smart, just as aggressive as the legends or special cards. I have a pretty good team of a couple skaters with 99 speed and acceleration. They are constantly being caught by guys with slower speed ratings. It really doesn't seem any different. Doesn't seem right that a 91 overall card is matched or even outplayed by an 84.

Replies

• Yeah I have some legends with 99 speed and BU + S activated and they get caught by 80 rated guys with 90 speed... I've seen this rationalised in another thread as the taking a straight line to the attacker who is weaving about hence slowing to take turns and taking a longer route. Apart from a breakaway in the middle of the ice where my Mike Gartner (99, BU + S) was caught by Eckman-Larsson TOTW with speed 92 and no synergies...
  • jake19ny
    688 posts Member
    edited November 2018
    The problem as I see it is the ratings don’t offer enough separation. The difference between an 85 and 95 is negligible. It’s the reason most of us complain about the lack of player separation. A slow player would need a speed of 75 for a 99 to stand out in this game and even then I’m not sure. The speed isn’t the only indicator of a problem......it’s every rating. Have 2 enforcers on the ice opposing each other and start a fight and 80% of the time you will get Gretzky dropping the gloves with Doughty instead of Probert and Domi. At times I feel some ratings are placebo and have no affect at all. Sliders as well.
  • I mean, I played someone the other day whose entire team was high end special cards and legends and I held him to very few shots and he scored on most of them.

I think it's entirely possible ratings don't matter but I'm in favor of thinking maybe they do.
  • my anecdotal evidence is that the Specialty Cards are the key. i have a 81 basic Mantha but my 80 Mantha Special (young guns?) card that i got with buying the game seems to play better with my lineup. i put in the 81 to get BE Synergy turned on but then all my BE players didn't seem to be able to complete a hit. i swapped out the 81 for the 80 with no BE and all my BEs are hitting again, even when AI controlled.

i've played with mixing in Silver and Bronze level cards to turn on Synergies too but that didn't seem to help at all.
  • As far as speed, what if EA made the ice surface a little bigger? Look at player size in comparison to the rink. They don't match. If they made the ice a tad bigger, I think the speed game would improve greatly in this game and you'd see varies separations of players.
  • I mean, I played someone the other day whose entire team was high end special cards and legends and I held him to very few shots and he scored on most of them.

I think it's entirely possible ratings don't matter but I'm in favor of thinking maybe they do.

that wasn't me then :'(
  • As far as speed, what if EA made the ice surface a little bigger? Look at player size in comparison to the rink. They don't match. If they made the ice a tad bigger, I think the speed game would improve greatly in this game and you'd see varies separations of players.

i love the bigger rinks in the road trip challenges. i would love to see them in real life too. the NCAA plays on the international size sheet but the CHL and NHL sheets are too cramped.
  • Armakuni_k
    26 posts Member
    edited November 2018
    As far as speed, what if EA made the ice surface a little bigger? Look at player size in comparison to the rink. They don't match. If they made the ice a tad bigger, I think the speed game would improve greatly in this game and you'd see varies separations of players.

i love the bigger rinks in the road trip challenges. i would love to see them in real life too. the NCAA plays on the international size sheet but the CHL and NHL sheets are too cramped.

HUT used to have European rinks too. It was horrible, if you think figure skating and puck ragging is annoying now that ain’t got nothing on trying to get to the puck on big ice.
  • rgollin60
    78 posts Member
    edited November 2018
    Gretzky dropping the gloves with Doughty? No way! I have Gretzky and I purposely have him go off side with the puck many times, then let him take a slap shot. The program will not let him get into a fight, only a ruffing minor.
    Post edited by rgollin60 on
  • rgollin60 wrote: »
    Gretzky dropping the gloves with Doughty? No way! I have Gretzky and I purposely have him go off side with the puck may times, then let him take a slap shot. The program will not let him get into a fight, only a ruffing minor.

I was just using two player types as an example
  • Armakuni_k wrote: »
    As far as speed, what if EA made the ice surface a little bigger? Look at player size in comparison to the rink. They don't match. If they made the ice a tad bigger, I think the speed game would improve greatly in this game and you'd see varies separations of players.

HUT used to have European rinks too. It was horrible, if you think figure skating and puck ragging is annoying now that ain’t got nothing on trying to get to the puck on big ice.

i don't have the same issues with puck ragging as many seem to have. puck possision was the key to the Soviet style of play and adopted by Herb Brooks and later Scotty Bowman. i understand it would be seen as a soccer strategy 1st but 538 has done some good pieces on the importance of it in the North American game the last decade or so.

in relation to a video game, i like the extra space to run torpedoes and skipping the puck on the blueline.
  • Speed Ratings make a big difference with my following players;
    86 Cournoyer
    89 Morenz
    85 Lafleur
    87 McDavid
    85 Hall
    All my others including 85 Gretzky are not that much better that any 81- 84 player.
  • Dracolitch77
    59 posts Member
    edited November 2018
    No they don't! Just played a team that had all garbage players. I scored first then it was like a switch was flipped. My guys instantly became slower, couldn't even pick up passes, etc. This is completely a joke, and ridiculous. The guy I was playing even messaged me saying he didn't understand how his team all of a sudden got so good. This is crap and complete garbage.

[Socair - edited swear filter]
    Post edited by Socair on
  • I just had my 99 speed with BU and S activated caught up by a 85 speed defender. Go figure...
  • I’d say the ice tilt that EA puts into HUT makes most ratings pointless depending on game situations. ESPECIALLY in challenges I’ve noticed. I don’t know, I may be alone in this thought here but, for example, I’m trying to complete a Pro challenge now that an objective is FO% of 65% or higher. After a couple fails and getting murdered in the FO circle (while knocking down the other objectives) I loaded my lineup with all my centers that had 91 or higher FO rating so I could focus on solely that basically. Still couldnt barely win any. Keep those centers in and load my line up with players that let me active the FM synergy. STILL find it hard to get even 50%. Go play another challenge that’s All Star and lose maybe 1 or 2 FO. Other one I find a lot is the challenges where an objective is to get a shutout. I’ll hold the computer to 1-3 shots or less and too many times the computer will beat my goalie with a weak shot n fluky goal. Biggest one that happens to me is the weak shot right through my goalies 5 hole. I cringe any time the cpu makes it past my blue line on those challenges and I only feel safe when I can keep the cpu to 0 SOG.
  • No they don't! Just played a team that had all garbage players. I scored first then it was like a switch was flipped. My guys instantly became slower, couldn't even pick up passes, etc. This is completely a joke, and ridiculous. The guy I was playing even messaged me saying he didn't understand how his team all of a sudden got so good. This is crap and complete garbage.

Yea I kind of gave up playing online. All too often I’d outplay my opponent severely. The other persons goalie would stand on his head stopping everything in God’s creation. I’d finally crack him and score a goal, almost instantly my players struggle to even pick up pucks, the other person will dance down the ice and score almost immediately to tie the game. Then usually somehow beat me a time or two more the rare instance they’d get into my zone and take a shot. A lot of those glitch rebounders that for whatever reason my Dmen stop picking up the rebounds. I just love how I can outplay and outshoot someone like 35-12 but lose every game like 4-1 or 3-0.