EA Forums - Banner

Passing

Prev13
FatKidd5151
98 posts Member
edited November 2018
I don’t understand why it passed to the guy behind the one I’m clearly targeting. It totally makes no sense lol

Replies

• The game mechanics are completely broken. Passes and shots don’t go where you aim, button inputs are ignored, the game forces turnovers, your player moves on his own, etc. It’s terrible and I don’t understand why all this is in the game.
  • I have noticed a lot of shanked passes from players, you pass one way and the puck goes hard right. You'll see a few a game where your like uh??
  • You're slightly to the right from center... The player you wanted to pass to is directly center heading to left. Where you are aiming is where the player on the right is heading. This example seems a bit nitpicky...

Maybe try changing pass assist up.

6d4hy37pjbgm.png
  • SaydaNeen wrote: »
    You're slightly to the right from center... The player you wanted to pass to is directly center heading to left. Where you are aiming is where the player on the right is heading. This example seems a bit nitpicky...

Maybe try changing pass assist up.

6d4hy37pjbgm.png

That’s the thing, I hit and released the pass button before it got there. It even shows he’s highlighted. Zingaa1 is right, I’ve had that happen a lot to me and my buddy playing franchise. My favorite is the foot lift to let it go to some dude so the ai can capitalize on it lol.
  • Here’s a good one, i just don’t know why he would try to pass to that guy.

• NHLDev
    1671 posts EA NHL Developer
    In the first one, as others have said, even with pass assist, it still takes into account aiming towards where the player will be relative to the speed you are trying to pass at. No assistance makes the requirement have to be perfect where as assistance allows some forgiveness. But if you wanted to pass to the player straight up ice, you would have needed to be on the left side of 12 on the clock rather than the right.

For the second case, you were pressing up but before you released the pass button you rolled your left stick to the 1-2 position where as to hit the other player it would have been better to stay closer to 12.

We take your input on the frame of release of the pass button as the desired pass direction since the left stick is also skating and people tend to roll into their passing and shooting directions. We used to sample all the way to the release of the pass animation but that didn't allow for people to pass and start skating in a new direction quickly with the new player or possibly even let go into a glide as that would then change the pass direction. So just to confirm, it will take the direction on the frame you release the pass button to initiate it's start.
  • I understand exactly what you’re saying, but like I said about the first clip. I hit and released the pass but before it moved automatically like that. I understand the movement it takes to pass, maybe that’s messing with the passing.

The second video the guy could of picked it up back hand. That little input you’re saying changed to a guy clearly I had no chance of passing to, even with a lift pass? Maybe it’s in the passing movement, because again I hit and released the button both times before it moved to its finished spot. Thanks for the reply, hope this information helps.
  • FatKidd5151
    98 posts Member
    edited November 2018
    Proof of what I’m saying.

• NHLDev wrote: »
    In the first one, as others have said, even with pass assist, it still takes into account aiming towards where the player will be relative to the speed you are trying to pass at. No assistance makes the requirement have to be perfect where as assistance allows some forgiveness. But if you wanted to pass to the player straight up ice, you would have needed to be on the left side of 12 on the clock rather than the right.

For the second case, you were pressing up but before you released the pass button you rolled your left stick to the 1-2 position where as to hit the other player it would have been better to stay closer to 12.

We take your input on the frame of release of the pass button as the desired pass direction since the left stick is also skating and people tend to roll into their passing and shooting directions. We used to sample all the way to the release of the pass animation but that didn't allow for people to pass and start skating in a new direction quickly with the new player or possibly even let go into a glide as that would then change the pass direction. So just to confirm, it will take the direction on the frame you release the pass button to initiate it's start.

Video above talks about what I’m saying. This video with what you’re saying should of went to the guy in the slot. Nope, right between the legs to the d-man. I’m really confused on how passing works, you clearly see my inputs.

I asked about this in a previous thread a few weeks back. Are you able to explain how much forgiveness is given? I am having a hard time adjusting my pass assist to a spot in which I am actually getting any assistance.

In other words, if we were to use the example from above, if my pass assist were at 100, it would miss the intended player just as easily if the pass assist were 50.

I don't expect pass assist to allow for my pass to hit my intended player automatically, but I would assume it adjusts for some error. I would just like some more insight on the difference between the different increments if that is at all possible. Thanks!
  • Proof of what I’m saying.

Is that not what the NHLDev just said regarding passing assist? Your L-Stick looks about 2 o-clockish here, where is the forward? The D on the blueline I would say is 3 (because of his proximity and which hand he is holding his stick).
    2iq4kal3la6l.png
    Video above talks about what I’m saying. This video with what you’re saying should of went to the guy in the slot. Nope, right between the legs to the d-man. I’m really confused on how passing works, you clearly see my inputs.

You released a "hard pass" to a player 6ft in front of you... Your D-man confirms that when he receives it.
    I think this is a game mechanic sort of like Fifa, if you hold it down long enough you'll pass harder not to the person in front but behind.
    This usually is prominent in the defense zone when breaking out, say you wanted to 2-line pass to a forward so you hold down the pass button and release it for power, does the closest player receive it? Obviously if the forward in the slot was the only one in your passing lane he would have received it no doubt, but there were two, and if the situation was reversed and you intentionally wanted your D to get it but your forward took it what would you say then?

• FatKidd5151
    98 posts Member
    edited November 2018
    SaydaNeen wrote: »
    Proof of what I’m saying.

Is that not what the NHLDev just said regarding passing assist? Your L-Stick looks about 2 o-clockish here, where is the forward? The D on the blueline I would say is 3 (because of his proximity and which hand he is holding his stick).
    2iq4kal3la6l.png

You released a "hard pass" to a player 6ft in front of you... Your D-man confirms that when he receives it.
    I think this is a game mechanic sort of like Fifa, if you hold it down long enough you'll pass harder not to the person in front but behind.
    This usually is prominent in the defense zone when breaking out, say you wanted to 2-line pass to a forward so you hold down the pass button and release it for power, does the closest player receive it? Obviously if the forward in the slot was the only one in your passing lane he would have received it no doubt, but there were two, and if the situation was reversed and you intentionally wanted your D to get it but your forward took it what would you say then?

First thing,
    Did you not read anything I put? The fact that someone liked it is hilarious!! That is the RELEASE point you boxed. If you actually watched the video, you see I hit and released the pass button way before that point. I actually just tapped the pass button and it says hard pass with two circles filled.

Second thing.
    Again I tapped the pass button, I can’t help it if it registered has a two circle hard pass. I would be upset if the opposite happened and I’m trying to pass it to the d-man, but that never happens 😂
  • NHLDev
    edited November 2018
    I asked about this in a previous thread a few weeks back. Are you able to explain how much forgiveness is given? I am having a hard time adjusting my pass assist to a spot in which I am actually getting any assistance.

In other words, if we were to use the example from above, if my pass assist were at 100, it would miss the intended player just as easily if the pass assist were 50.

I don't expect pass assist to allow for my pass to hit my intended player automatically, but I would assume it adjusts for some error. I would just like some more insight on the difference between the different increments if that is at all possible. Thanks!
    Are you referring to offline or online?

If offline, then the pass assist slider under the gameplay sliders passing tab allows you to go from 0-100. You will see Game Style 1 and 2 are set to 67/100 where Competitive is 33/100 and Full Sim is 30/100.

If you play online, you get an online pass assist percentage slider under your controller settings that allows you to adjust the percentage of pass assist you get relative to the online default settings. So even at 100, in EASHL, that means you are getting 33/100 as we don't allow players to have more than the max and only allow players to take it down and have less if they feel that more control will work for them. So you are deciding how much of a percentage you want out of 33 in that case.

As far as what pass assist does... it basically increases or decreases the angle of tolerance you can be on either side of the perfect pass angle to hit the player you are aiming for with the current pass speed you are requesting. So you may need to aim at exactly a 45 degree angle to hit the player with your current pass speed 8 frames in the future. With pass assist, you could be off by 'x' degrees on either side of that perfect angle and it will assist it to be the right one. We only assist on angle and not on power so that the player still has full control over power on all passes (with the only error there being the physical error applied due to ratings, angle to your player, forehand vs backhand, etc.)

On top of that, it is possible for 2 players to be within a similar tolerance of each other, especially as you increase pass assistance and widen those cones of assistance for both potential players. That is where things can be interpreted wrong in terms of your intention, that may have some user error to it and due to that is actually closer to the perfect angle of another player which is why it thinks that is who you mean.

To avoid that, players lower their pass assistance but are then more accountable for their own thumb error.

We have the default pass assist for competitive down to a place where we feel it still has a skill gap without being too harsh and used cases where if you were trying to be off by enough to get a bank pass to the player you intended that assistance wouldn't kick in and think you were just off and wanted an assisted pass straight to that player, as that is something that has been called out in the past when assistance is too high.

If offline, then the pass assist slider under the gameplay sliders passing tab allows you to go from 0-100. You will see Game Style 1 and 2 are set to 67/100 where Competitive is 33/100 and Full Sim is 30/100.

If you play online, you get an online pass assist percentage slider under your controller settings that allows you to adjust the percentage of pass assist you get relative to the online default settings. So even at 100, in EASHL, that means you are getting 33/100 as we don't allow players to have more than the max and only allow players to take it down and have less if they feel that more control will work for them. So you are deciding how much of a percentage you want out of 33 in that case.

As far as what pass assist does... it basically increases or decreases the angle of tolerance you can be on either side of the perfect pass angle to hit the player you are aiming for with the current pass speed you are requesting. So you may need to aim at exactly a 45 degree angle to hit the player with your current pass speed 8 frames in the future. With pass assist, you could be off by 'x' degrees on either side of that perfect angle and it will assist it to be the right one. We only assist on angle and not on power so that the player still has full control over power on all passes (with the only error there being the physical error applied due to ratings, angle to your player, forehand vs backhand, etc.)

On top of that, it is possible for 2 players to be within a similar tolerance of each other, especially as you increase pass assistance and widen those cones of assistance for both potential players. That is where things can be interpreted wrong in terms of your intention, that may have some user error to it and due to that is actually closer to the perfect angle of another player which is why it thinks that is who you mean.

To avoid that, players lower their pass assistance but are then more accountable for their own thumb error.

We have the default pass assist for competitive down to a place where we feel it still has a skill gap without being too harsh and used cases where if you were trying to be off by enough to get a bank pass to the player you intended that assistance wouldn't kick in and think you were just off and wanted an assisted pass straight to that player, as that is something that has been called out in the past when assistance is too high.

Awesome information. One thing you noted though is that it doesnt affect power, however thee have been instances where 2 players are kind of in line with each other and I tap it to send it to the nearest guy (or vice versa, hold it to send to the furthest guy) and it will go to the wrong guy. For the one where I tap it, it seemingly goes at half of max passing speed to the far guy.

It doesn't happen super often. Maybe once every 4 or 5 games, but it's irritating when you have to tell your teammates "sorry I just tapped that thing, no idea why it went to the guy who is covered and not the guy wide open next to me".

Also I remember in nhl 14 and earlier, the passing was much much more responsive and it was super rare it didn't go to the player I wanted it to. Was that because of the passing power overhaul and the more realistic angles you have to have on your stick that affect pass accuracy? This current Gen is a lot worse for getting passes off to where I want them to be. Any idea on why that is?

Thank you. I've been trying to grasp a basic understanding of the Pass Assist for quite some time.
  • NHLDev
    edited November 2018
    Awesome information. One thing you noted though is that it doesnt affect power, however thee have been instances where 2 players are kind of in line with each other and I tap it to send it to the nearest guy (or vice versa, hold it to send to the furthest guy) and it will go to the wrong guy. For the one where I tap it, it seemingly goes at half of max passing speed to the far guy.

It doesn't happen super often. Maybe once every 4 or 5 games, but it's irritating when you have to tell your teammates "sorry I just tapped that thing, no idea why it went to the guy who is covered and not the guy wide open next to me".

Also I remember in nhl 14 and earlier, the passing was much much more responsive and it was super rare it didn't go to the player I wanted it to. Was that because of the passing power overhaul and the more realistic angles you have to have on your stick that affect pass accuracy? This current Gen is a lot worse for getting passes off to where I want them to be. Any idea on why that is?

I just mean that it doesn't assist with power. So for example, if you tap the button to get a 37mph pass or hold it enough to get a 60mph pass, nothing in the assist will change the speed of the pass to hit your target. It will only adjust the angle to ensure you hit your target with a pass at that speed.

When it comes to the near or far player, it is tough as if they are both standing still, there is no true indication if you want to pass hard to the near player for a quicker play or to the far player. There is a bit of logic to assume you mean the slot as opposed to the far defender but in some cases, it might just be that you are just that much closer to the near or far player when the game looks at the perfect angle for them specifically. It may be the difference of inches even but at some point it picks one that it assumes you mean based on your angle only if the power itself would meet both players in the future the same.

We have had some thoughts of always assuming the close player in those near calls and then having the Player input that they want to let the puck through by pressing a button manually that would trigger the near player to let it through but we don't have that in there yet obviously.

In terms of your overall success, I think it could just be that default pass assistance is lower. If you play offline on Traditional Settings with the higher pass assist in practice mode do you have more success? On competitive, we also have more error on accuracy and power when you are passing to your backhand, against your momentum, out of stride, etc. than we probably had then as well but a lot of that was starting to play a bigger factor from NHL 13 onwards.

I just mean that it doesn't assist with power. So for example, if you tap the button to get a 37mph pass or hold it enough to get a 60mph pass, nothing in the assist will change the speed of the pass to hit your target. It will only adjust the angle to ensure you hit your target with a pass at that speed.

When it comes to the near or far player, it is tough as if they are both standing still, there is no true indication if you want to pass hard to the near player for a quicker play or to the far player. There is a bit of logic to assume you mean the slot as opposed to the far defender but in some cases, it might just be that you are just that much closer to the near or far player when the game looks at the perfect angle for them specifically. It may be the difference of inches even but at some point it picks one that it assumes you mean based on your angle only if the power itself would meet both players in the future the same.

We have had some thoughts of always assuming the close player in those near calls and then having the Player input that they want to let the puck through by pressing a button manually that would trigger the near player to let it through but we don't have that in there yet obviously.

In terms of your overall success, I think it could just be that default pass assistance is lower. If you play offline on Traditional Settings with the higher pass assist in practice mode do you have more success? On competitive, we also have more error on accuracy and power when you are passing to your backhand, against your momentum, out of stride, etc. than we probably had then as well but a lot of that was starting to play a bigger factor from NHL 13 onwards.

Interesting. I don't play offline much anymore. Really only use it for practice. I used to play franchise all of the time but I wanted things to become a bit more polished in that mode so I just stopped playing it. I love the fog of war and the improvements on the scouting. I think that might get me to try it again because I want to try this game with offline sliders. I just struggle with already knowing generally how the ai plays and I crave the different reactions of humans and more realistic attitude to defending against them.

Is there any way you guys could adopt a system like Fifa where if you hold the pass button down too much it'll go to the next player and the original man in the way can dummie the puck? I think that'd go a long way in helping getting certain plays going. Especially on things like a powerplay where the middle man can be a decoy lots.
  • NHLDev
    Interesting. I don't play offline much anymore. Really only use it for practice. I used to play franchise all of the time but I wanted things to become a bit more polished in that mode so I just stopped playing it. I love the fog of war and the improvements on the scouting. I think that might get me to try it again because I want to try this game with offline sliders. I just struggle with already knowing generally how the ai plays and I crave the different reactions of humans and more realistic attitude to defending against them.

Is there any way you guys could adopt a system like Fifa where if you hold the pass button down too much it'll go to the next player and the original man in the way can dummie the puck? I think that'd go a long way in helping getting certain plays going. Especially on things like a powerplay where the middle man can be a decoy lots.
    Yep, we could do that but quite often people do want a hard pass to the near guy more than they want to send it to someone on the other side of them. All depends on context though obviously. I would rather add the dummy button so you can choose to do both. Manual saucer pass helps right now too when you want to send to the far player.

• Funny how what I said and showed proof of means absolutely nothing!! If I tap the pass button, it should go to the closest guy. If I hold it down it should go to the farthest guy. That’s common sense, this is hilarious. What else do I gotta do?
  • NHLDev
    edited November 2018
    Funny how what I said and showed proof of means absolutely nothing!! If I tap the pass button, it should go to the closest guy. If I hold it down it should go to the farthest guy. That’s common sense, this is hilarious. What else do I gotta do?

That isn't actually how the mechanic works. Holding the pass down increases the requested power but you can still make a hard pass to the near player. That is sort of what I was talking about in the other replies.