EA Forums - Banner

NHL 20 Patch Details January 30th

Check out our January 30th patch details here.

What's Going On With NHL 19?

Replies

• NHLDev
    1444 posts EA NHL Developer
    Froommey wrote: »
    Why you talk from the game and mean the gameplay only ? Game = not only gameplay. There are many other missing and wrong things in this game. By the way ..... gameplay is better than ever with Tuner 1.0 in offline mode.
    I am the Gameplay Producer. I cover other topics as well but am closest to the core on ice gameplay.

Glad you are having fun with the game.
  • Tier1SOFOperator
    375 posts Member
    edited November 2018
    NHLDev wrote: »
    Why you talk from the game and mean the gameplay only ? Game = not only gameplay. There are many other missing and wrong things in this game. By the way ..... gameplay is better than ever with Tuner 1.0 in offline mode.
    I am the Gameplay Producer. I cover other topics as well but am closest to the core on ice gameplay.

Kudos on a beautiful hockey game! I have owned every copy since the original in 91. Love the game! I don’t play online. Sickens me how people blame the actual game on the way humans decide to play it. Absolutely ridiculous! Game plays great offline.

Post edited by Tier1SOFOperator on
  • When the legends will be available for season mode? It's been two months now and still nothing.
  • NHLDev wrote: »

Wrong, I have fun only with the gameplay and not with the game in generell. Would give 9 of 10... for graphic details, stats and the random of the game I give only 2 from 10 points.
  • kezz123
    550 posts Member
    edited November 2018
    NHLDev wrote: »

Kudos on a beautiful hockey game! I have owned every copy since the original in 91. Love the game! I don’t play online. Sickens me how people blame the actual game on the way humans decide to play it. Absolutely ridiculous! Game plays great offline.

I played this game offline only for years...I didnt even enjoy 1v1 against friends because it was always a cheese fest instead of an attempt to make cool plays. BUT....online EASHL in nhl 09-10-11-12 showed me this game had HUGE potential to be AMAZING online experience. Since then I feel like it is back to tedious online gameplay however. Making goalies too strong reduced the amount of different types of goals teams went for and did not reduce glitch goals at all since people just go to the same 1-2 plays all game long now instead of switching it up from 5-6 different options so the game is that much more tedious and boring to watch. It used to be that when the AI goalie made an incredible save everyone went WOW THAT WAS EPIC to ....now people are like...yah...goalie on steroid steals a guaranteed goal again...yawn.

By extension, playing a good human goalie was a lot more exciting back then because the AI was so much easier to beat...now, odds are a human will do worse than AI so again, reduces the excitement of the game.

So all that to say, yes this is probably a great offline product this year.....but it has the potential to be so much more.

Edited for swearing. - EA_Cian

Post edited by EA_Cian on

Well it's not really ridiculous since you don't play online. You only play the archaic offfline modes so you probably shouldn't feel sickened about it.

Welcome to online gaming. It has always been this way and it will never change.

LeFury_27 wrote: »
    Why don’t they take feedback from people who actually are real hockey fans, people who played hockey, people who play the game for fun.

Instead they listen to these “game changers”, “elite players” and twitch streamers who literally play the game only to win. They are overly competitive, could careless about real hockey or fun.

Another great NHL game down the tubes just a month in.
    We take feedback from a lot of sources. I have personally read and responded to a lot of your messages. Just because I don't answer with comments such as 'I Agree 100%', doesn't mean I don't take the feedback seriously and take it into consideration when looking at the balance/tuning of the game.

When I talk to the Gamechangers, Elite Players and Twitch Streamers you are referring to, I also reply with rebuttals a lot of the time. That is how you get to the source of an issue and understand what the core of what people are seeing/feeling.

We have a goal for the balance/feel of the game and the different modes/sub sections within it. We always take feedback and balance it against our original intention when considering changes.

I was happy with what we put out in the Beta and the feedback we received but I also believe the tuning that we did made sense in regards to the feedback we were receiving when it was balanced against our goals for the product.

In isolation, the goalie could be stronger on short side shots, shot accuracy could be lower, it could be easier to bump players off the puck, puck carriers could be less agile, players could burn more stamina stopping and starting, etc. etc. but at the end of the day, both teams are playing in the same sand box and we see players having a lot of success on both sides of the puck so know that a skill gap exists with the current tuning. That is why we dive into the details when looking at feedback and match it against our original intention to qualify it.

Except the skill gap is once again based on who can cheese better instead of who can play better hockey - as it was in the beta.

I do better protecting the puck and playing a cheap style than by playing real hockey. Merely having a skill gap is not a good or a bad thing, imo. What matters more is WHERE the skill gap is. Where the skill gap was in the beta is way better than where it is now.
  • I had 13 DRE's this morning, no exaggeration, your game is an embarrassment.
  • By the Gods, please NHL Devs just change it back to the beta, and you will get Positive Feedback from the NHL community to 90%. The way it is now, is complete the opposite. People complain about the game to 90% after the patches and tuners came out.
    You can’t leave it like it is now. It is pretty sad. This game reminds me of nhl 15 Right regards skating engine, which was for many people the worst game of all hockey games and you know it. It’s very sad for us to see every year the kind of problem.
  • By the Gods, please NHL Devs just change it back to the beta, and you will get Positive Feedback from the NHL community to 90%. The way it is now, is complete the opposite. People complain about the game to 90% after the patches and tuners came out.
    You can’t leave it like it is now. It is pretty sad. This game reminds me of nhl 15 Right regards skating engine, which was for many people the worst game of all hockey games and you know it. It’s very sad for us to see every year the kind of problem.

The game engine is not only the game. It is one part of it. For a positive feedback there are to much other things missing or wrong.
  • Can't even get into a 3's lobby endless searching, even after quitting the game and restarting, your game is so bad.

Is no one working on the holiday weekend?
  • It's almost unbelievable to read such garbage. YOU CAN'T EVEN GET GAMES IN CLUB OR DROP IN! Are you kidding me with this crap?

I've played this game since NHL 91 and been a top player in every EASHL league that ever mattered but this might be it for me. I thought they had finally figured it out in the beta. But like every year they don't listen and think they know best, now EASHL is dead. Screw all the EASHL/Drop in community that paid the way, literally, for the last decade. I know hundreds of former top EASHL players that I can't bribe to play NHL now which is pretty sad. Compare the current number of EASHL players to when the VHL was going on, it's actually hilarious. People got tired of waiting and now this game is a barren wasteland.

10 years in and you still don't understand that lag directly affects every single attribute point. It affects every poke check, stick lift, pass interception...etc. What works in your studio does not work in the actual game environment. The beta was actually pretty good, even if it was by accident. No matter if you were host or not, if you made the right play defensively there was a good chance you'd be rewarded. Now we're back to nobody playing unless they are host, because if you aren't you are at a serious disadvantage.

But they'll just blame our internet, because that's been the company line circa '09.

• EASHL has been a huge sore spot. Besides my whole club quitting, almost 70% of the games I get in to have serious lagg. It's choppy as hell and it almost makes you motion sick it gets so bad sometimes. Not only that, I tried drop in earlier today for the first time in 2 weeks and I got failed to find opponent 4 times in a row.
  • Honestly, it seems like drop in games are at about a 40% chance of succeeding. Hell, half the times I have to quit the game to fix the search ability. This was released in September, remember.
  • People don't play this game for hours like they used to back in the glory days of this game (NHL 09 thru NHL 12).

The game has become such a stressful grind people just stop playing after a few games.

Bring back the NHL 09 thru NHL 12 format/gameplay and you will revitalize this game and the hockey community. People played these years titles for 4 to 8 hours each and every day/night, day after day, and night after night, it had a cult/loyal following, lets go back to what worked.
  • Tuner 1.0 please.

That is all.
  • What I don't get is why EA has a gameplay developer on here seeing all of these posts over the last 2 months saying go back to the beta tuner and they refuse to do so. It boggles my mind. It really does. The community is asking for it and I think for the most part it would quiet down the complaints for a little bit. But there is always one complainer so the team will never be able to satisfy the masses entirely.
    Read some of my stuff at www.sportsprowler.com
  • zingaa1
    404 posts Member
    edited November 2018
    What I don't get is why EA has a gameplay developer on here seeing all of these posts over the last 2 months saying go back to the beta tuner and they refuse to do so. It boggles my mind. It really does. The community is asking for it and I think for the most part it would quiet down the complaints for a little bit. But there is always one complainer so the team will never be able to satisfy the masses entirely.

They're better off leaving it and everybody be angry, we still have the dressing room problem and the search freeze thing, do you really trust their ability to roll back a tuner?
  • zingaa1 wrote: »
    What I don't get is why EA has a gameplay developer on here seeing all of these posts over the last 2 months saying go back to the beta tuner and they refuse to do so. It boggles my mind. It really does. The community is asking for it and I think for the most part it would quiet down the complaints for a little bit. But there is always one complainer so the team will never be able to satisfy the masses entirely.

They're better off leaving it and everybody be angry, we still have the dressing room problem and the search freeze thing, do you really trust their ability to roll back a tuner?

Actually, I do. It is easier to do a tuner than it is to fix an issue like a dressing room problem or the search freeze.
    Read some of my stuff at www.sportsprowler.com
  • zingaa1 wrote: »

Actually, I do. It is easier to do a tuner than it is to fix an issue like a dressing room problem or the search freeze.

Fair enough, but it's a pointless discussion anyways, they aren't going to roll it back.