EA Forums - Banner

NHL 20 Patch Details April 3rd

Check out our April 3rd patch details here.

What do Devs consider “skill”?

Replies

• There is no skill in this game, it’s full of animations you can’t control, moves you don’t want to do, and controller inputs that go ignored when you press them. This is the worst example of a “competitive” game I’ve ever played online. Not to mention I’m pretty sure you don’t have a single west coast server because every game has input lag of almost a full second
  • EpiCxOwNeD wrote: »
    https://xboxdvr.com/gamer/epicxowned/video/64723154

This how you enter the zone since the tuner. Hold the puck to your side and avoid the hit. I ran that player into the boards and still had couldn’t get the game to register a hit.

Try that in the real life and you would have been separated from the puck.

This is by far the single most frustrating junk the last tuner had to offer. One of the major reasons I now despise this game.

This how you enter the zone since the tuner. Hold the puck to your side and avoid the hit. I ran that player into the boards and still had couldn’t get the game to register a hit.

watching that makes me sad.. i hate how that happens now...............
  • There is no skill in this game, it’s full of animations you can’t control, moves you don’t want to do, and controller inputs that go ignored when you press them. This is the worst example of a “competitive” game I’ve ever played online. Not to mention I’m pretty sure you don’t have a single west coast server because every game has input lag of almost a full second

the top player meta right now is holding the RT and spamming LT to get a speed boost. this game is a joke competitively.

the top player meta right now is holding the RT and spamming LT to get a speed boost. this game is a joke competitively.

But according to the devs this is called the SKILL GAP

The lag wasn't here when game came out. I noticed it almost immediately after the October update.

Let's see some video of this

If you freeze that vid at -0.5 you can clearly see the puck carrier has superior position. That play went as it should have.

no, i have a new season of fortnite to play. go try it yourself lol.
  • sgiz1
    537 posts Member
    This game has went back to cherry picking, the teams that have a player not playing defense but instead floating around the blue line for a break out pass wins the day. EA should reward team defense, not teams that have players not playing defense.
  • has anyone else noticed the new fake slap shot that allows either a speed boost to go around AI or complete loss of all motor function on behalf of the AI or a combination of both, that players have been using (particularly in 3s) when you have two human forwards and an AI D man? It's comical

If you can't provide evidence for your claims of the meta, then don't claim the meta.
  • has anyone else noticed the new fake slap shot that allows either a speed boost to go around AI or complete loss of all motor function on behalf of the AI or a combination of both, that players have been using (particularly in 3s) when you have two human forwards and an AI D man? It's comical

Video?

If you can't provide evidence for your claims of the meta, then don't claim the meta.

watch any ESHL game being broadcasted on twitch. you're on LG kory, you know where to find them.

Video?

I've seen it only in 2 games and it has worked rather successfully - either way idc enough to go through the trouble of recording and uploading to this forum as it probably serves no purpose and won't result in any change. Just another notch on the abundantly ridiculous/unrealistic list!!!

watch any ESHL game being broadcasted on twitch. you're on LG kory, you know where to find them.

Well, most of those games have full-game replays, surely you can find a highlight to provide to us here?

watching that makes me sad.. i hate how that happens now...............

Makes you sad huh? Makes me not play the game for sure.

The LT speed boost has been in since the beta. Any halfway decent 6s dman has been doing it since August for defensive situations at least...can’t say I’ve seen it offensively as much but a video doesn’t seem necessary. This is just as much a piece of common knowledge as holding your stick out mitigates checks is.

To that point though, I actually don’t even have an issue with it as that type of skating maneuver along with the other various ways you can use LT offensively/defensive is where the skating skill gap always should’ve been.

Unlike TPS which was a complete mess for any caliber of player, RPM skating technique actually provides a wonderful skill-gap that for whatever reason is being cried about not even 3 months after having to deal with TPS.

Long-story short, these devs can’t win because there’s too many awful players who are catered to year after year. Beta was almost exactly what EASHL should feel like, but all of the whiners ruined the best game we’ve ever had.

Video?

Go into an online game hold LT for a second to do a half spin. This get you some speed. Do it over and over.
  • NHLDev
    1668 posts EA NHL Developer
    EpiCxOwNeD wrote: »
    Go into an online game hold LT for a second to do a half spin. This get you some speed. Do it over and over.
    It isn't actually a speed boost but the player doesn't have their skating as limited as you would expect during a pivot. So if you kept skating and didn't pivot, they would actually go as fast or faster but they should be slower when pivoting until they can get back to a place in the pivot they can start to accelerate again.

So it is actually more of a perception thing that it is a speed boost. Definitely one of the things that people abuse and make the game look bad but this year we decided to focus on control and responsiveness whenever there was a compromise to be made so sometimes you get results like that. It is already identified as something to look back at in the future.