EA Forums - Banner

I believe its time to address the "tripping" penalty.

Replies

• Do you have any captures from some of the calls you dispute? Maybe we can elaborate on how you can adjust your poke checking in order to prevent them from happening.
  • Do you have any captures from some of the calls you dispute? Maybe we can elaborate on how you can adjust your poke checking in order to prevent them from happening.

Dude, Im 43 years old. I'm not gonna dive that deep into this. I've been playing the NHL franchise since 1991 when it was first released on Sega. I play to unwind and for fun, fun is the key word. However, maybe I will take time outta my day to record something I already know the answer too. The tripping happens alot more on CHEL than HUT, this I know for sure.

Dude, Im 43 years old. I'm not gonna dive that deep into this. I've been playing the NHL franchise since 1991 when it was first released on Sega. I play to unwind and for fun, fun is the key word. However, maybe I will take time outta my day to record something I already know the answer too. The tripping happens alot more on CHEL than HUT, this I know for sure.

Hey man, I'm only 10 years behind you and have played the same franchise since I was 6.

Are you on Xbox? Super simple to capture something that just happened. Press Home button and 'Y' I believe. Could be 'X' too.. I can't recall.

If it's Ps4 I don't have a clue.

Tripping happens more in CHEL because of the human component.

Hey man, I'm only 10 years behind you and have played the same franchise since I was 6.

Are you on Xbox? Super simple to capture something that just happened. Press Home button and 'Y' I believe. Could be 'X' too.. I can't recall.

If it's Ps4 I don't have a clue.

Tripping happens more in CHEL because of the human component.

PS4 bro, I know how to do it. I'll give it a go. To bad you're not on Ps4 we could play. My kids have the xbox, but there is no way I'm buying this game twice. Lol
  • Can someone answer this. Does HUT have the same input lag as EASHL? Or is it input lag free like offline?
  • TheMajjam wrote: »
    Can someone answer this. Does HUT have the same input lag as EASHL? Or is it input lag free like offline?

I'm not sure, I believe there is a difference. It sure feels different when playing the two.
  • As far as the contact goes... it’s as if the stick weighs about 15-20lbs to achieve what it does.
    All Comments pertain to 6v6 drop in unless otherwise stated..
  • Sweet Jesus.
    The stick work is just crazy town. Hockey players don’t go down like that. Mites...squirts..maybe. But sheesh.
    Ps: why does hitting A transform my stick into a pitch fork? Does my avatar have rage issues, crazy significant other ? Should we think about getting him some help?
  • Generally I feel like the tripping calls are good right now, and if you've adapted you're not getting too many calls against you.

But then things like this happen and you start to wonder....

• I've been against the harsh trips from day one. I don't by the whole "just adapt" crap. I don't like adjusting to crap mechanics. It's why playing D feels so anemic these days because any play with the stick results in a penalty more than 50% of the time. I would even be happy if they left poke as is, but tuned down the trip for the DSS. Presently, the DSS will draw the same amount of penalties as a poke. It's comical.
  • It just needs to be toned down alittle bit. Its to the point now its comical. The ones that say they don't have a problem punch their time cards at ea.
  • i can make a case for the trips being in a good place but i can flip that around and make a case for how ridiculous they can be very often.

Plain and simple it's a fairly broken mechanic that you can work around with a high level of success. But it's too bad they can't just make it work better but it is what it is.
  • Generally I feel like the tripping calls are good right now, and if you've adapted you're not getting too many calls against you.

I’d washed more games in theb600-600 6v6 drop in’s are decided by stick infractions than all other things combined. Personal opinions about adapting or its realism aside for the average game it feels disproportionate at best.
    Ps: the pitchfork thing..what is that..?
  • I do feel that the current system is workable, but it's definitely not ideal.

IMO mist off the problems people have with the current system would be fixed if stick-on-stick and stick-on-leg interactions worked like they were solid objects. No ghosting through each other. And yes, I know EA has said in the past that having that in-game makes it "not fun".

But almost everything that's been done in regards to stick checking and puck control over the last few years has been adding and adjusting systems to try to work around the lack of physical interaction between legs and sticks. All of the adjustments to stick-checking and puck control when interacting with other players are attempts to deal with the fact that players can get their sticks into places they shouldn't be able to.

The increase in tripping penalties is a response to people complaining about opponents being able to get to pucks that should be protected by poking through their skates and legs. How much better would it be to have those stick checks bounce off the puck carriers legs like they would in actual hockey and only call tripping penalties on pokes that would the up the the player's legs? And defensively you could put your stick in positions that should force a player to one side without risking the slightest touch resulting in a penalty.

And consider the play we've all seen where the puck carrier drags his stick through the defensemans legs only to come out the other side with the puck? If legs and sticks were solid he'd need to risk a loose puck deke to get the same effect.

I'm sure there would be significant hurdles to overcome, but I think that a system with physical interaction between legs and sticks would feel a lot more "real" and be less frustrating than the current mishmash we gave now.
  • I wonder how mass is treated in the game.

I'd like to see this explained.
  • I definitely feel like they need to tweak it. Your player doesn’t even attempt to poke the puck in any loose puck situations unless no one is around. Same with the stick lifts. Back checking and the puck is on the same side as the your guys top hand and you can’t even lift his stick properly nor poke properly? Watch some hockey and you seen it all the time done clean. It’s definitely preventing spamming which I’m ok with but definitely needs to be tweaked ASAP. Anybody who has played a high level of hockey knows that some of the tripping calls are outrageously not even close to realism.
  • There is definitely a bug where if you have your stick out(DSS), work in close and then try to transition to a hit, trips are being called on the sticks return to default position.

For dss, I think you need to look at letting go of the right stick as loosening your wrist, allowing your stick to easily be knocked away by the opponents limbs.
  • WainGretSki
    3660 posts Member
    edited December 2018
    Prior to the 1.03 tuner, hitting was much more effective so I was fine with the "realistic" poke checking implemented into the game. Now? Not even close.

Stick lifts are very dangerous to use, poke checks have to be near perfect, hitting is nerfed unless it is purely north-south and forwards generally get favored in puck pickups if a defender is near and now goalies have gone to mush.

Unless you are ragging and sniping, this game is so incredibly boring and stale. And even then, it says alot when winning games is now boring.
  • Completely agree. If my timings a little off in a game I become almost afraid to use any form of poke or lift. Again regardless of what I do the games are always chocked full of penalties...can’t tell you how much of my game time is spent staring at that dang cabin..only that it’s way too much.

Penalties should influence a game, not define it.