EA Forums - Banner

What's Going On With NHL 19?

Replies

• jiajji wrote: »
    sgiz1 wrote: »
    People don't play this game for hours like they used to back in the glory days of this game (NHL 09 thru NHL 12).

The game has become such a stressful grind people just stop playing after a few games.

Bring back the NHL 09 thru NHL 12 format/gameplay and you will revitalize this game and the hockey community. People played these years titles for 4 to 8 hours each and every day/night, day after day, and night after night, it had a cult/loyal following, lets go back to what worked.

1. The amount of time it takes to get a good game.

2. The loss of otp lobbies.

Finding a competitive 6v6 game feels like a chore.

I can recall the complaints over only being able to join 1 club & the mandatory "cooling off" period if you voluntarily left a club.

I'm wondering if there is a correlation between not having otp lobbies and sanctioned club hopping. Having both available would seem ideal but maybe there is a thought process to limiting our options or maybe it's just poor marksmanship.

The lack of OTP lobbies has slowly chipped away at the sense of community that this game was able to offer.

yep
  • jiajji wrote: »
    sgiz1 wrote: »
    People don't play this game for hours like they used to back in the glory days of this game (NHL 09 thru NHL 12).

The game has become such a stressful grind people just stop playing after a few games.

Bring back the NHL 09 thru NHL 12 format/gameplay and you will revitalize this game and the hockey community. People played these years titles for 4 to 8 hours each and every day/night, day after day, and night after night, it had a cult/loyal following, lets go back to what worked.

1. The amount of time it takes to get a good game.

2. The loss of otp lobbies.

Finding a competitive 6v6 game feels like a chore.

I can recall the complaints over only being able to join 1 club & the mandatory "cooling off" period if you voluntarily left a club.

I'm wondering if there is a correlation between not having otp lobbies and sanctioned club hopping. Having both available would seem ideal but maybe there is a thought process to limiting our options or maybe it's just poor marksmanship.

The lack of OTP lobbies has slowly chipped away at the sense of community that this game was able to offer.

yep

Fully agree, I think this was the biggest blunder they did.
  • Yep. Now we have to go to a cancer infested LG to have some semblance of community. Greattttt
  • Yep. Now we have to go to a cancer infested LG to have some semblance of community. Greattttt

yeah those leagues can be summed up in one word, cancer
  • I would like to have an honest an open discussion with the DEV team about the current state of the NHL. Where is the game headed? What is the long-term plan, if any?

Do they have ambitions for the game, or are they just going through the motions, recycling the same old stuff with minimum effort and bolt on some garish new features like the clown suits?
  • KidShowtime1867
    1839 posts Member
    edited December 2018
    Sgt_Kelso wrote: »
    I would like to have an honest an open discussion with the DEV team about the current state of the NHL. Where is the game headed? What is the long-term plan, if any?

Do they have ambitions for the game, or are they just going through the motions, recycling the same old stuff with minimum effort and bolt on some garish new features like the clown suits?

Nothing about game development is 'minimal effort'. I really do feel many of the players in this player base are completely clueless as to how complex development is.

[EA_Lanna: Bait removed]
    Post edited by EA_Lanna on
  • WainGretSki
    3660 posts Member
    edited December 2018
    I would like to have an honest an open discussion with the DEV team about the current state of the NHL. Where is the game headed? What is the long-term plan, if any?

Nothing about game development is 'minimal effort'. I really do feel many of the players in this player base are completely clueless as to how complex development is.

It is a fair assessment that most people have no clue how complex making a game is. Many of us don't know how to design and build a car. None of us are brain surgeons. I can't build a skyscraper. You know what? In the end, it doesn't matter. What matters, the ones that are supposed to know how to do these things are the ones that are doing these things. We pay for whatever it is we want, and expect it to be as advertised. EA's part of the equation is to make something and my part of the equation is to purchase it.

What I do know is, Red Dead 2 costs the exact same dollar amount as NHL 19 and oh my God is it ever such a superior product that costs hundreds of millions to make vs this "AAA" hockey game. Weird how they sell for the same price though.
  • Sgt_Kelso
    1325 posts Member
    edited December 2018

Well, I would like them to respond - but I don't for one minute expect them to do so. I don't doubt that developing games is complex, otherwise we could all be doing it. That's why we pay for their product.

It's interesting though, that they introduced some cool features this year, like the skating and hitting - which I think improved the gameplay - and then after a very short period they proceeded to water down these almost to the level of NHL18. So now we have spinning in a protective bubble and glitch goals.

They saw all that trouble to develop them, only to nerf the heck out of them. That to me speaks of no time for testing and very vague vision of what they are trying to achieve in the first place. And they seem to change their minds very easily? Or maybe someone told them to change the game asap?

{EA_Lanna: Bait removed}
  • Sgt_Kelso wrote: »

Hello! I have a pretty good idea here about software development!

Anyway, I believe that people who complain that have no clue how the game is made and maintained have every right to do so as they paid their money to play it. Especially when some people can't even get a game with constant errors.

If you bought a new car from a dealership, I think you would expect it to work. When it doesn't and the mechanics tell you that they have no clue what's broken, how to fix it, or when it might be fixed, are you going to sit there and be a-okay with them telling you there's nothing that can be done and you'll just have to live with it? Because I'm pretty sure you'd have a big problem with that.
  • TheMajjam wrote: »

If you bought a new car from a dealership, I think you would expect it to work. When it doesn't and the mechanics tell you that they have no clue what's broken, how to fix it, or when it might be fixed, are you going to sit there and be a-okay with them telling you there's nothing that can be done and you'll just have to live with it? Because I'm pretty sure you'd have a big problem with that.

This metaphor gets brought up all the time, but it's relativity to a piece of software makes this comparison literally irrelevant.

Buying a car does not equal buying a videogame. Please don't conflate or attempt to put the two purchases on even footing, because they're fundamentally different.

• TheMajjam wrote: »

This metaphor gets brought up all the time, but it's relativity to a piece of software makes this comparison literally irrelevant.

Buying a car does not equal buying a videogame. Please don't conflate or attempt to put the two purchases on even footing, because they're fundamentally different.

Well what if you bought $49 headphones for your phone and they stopped working after 3 days. You want a refund, but told that can't happen. You want them repaired then because you can't get a replacement, but are told don't know what's wrong with them. You ask if someone can look into it to find the problem and let you know, but are assured someone somewhere is looking into it and one day, maybe, you will get an update, or a fix. Only it's been 2 months + that your earphones are not working as intended. You were also told your earphones play surround sound effects but in fact they are only stereo.

Would you let it go and think "hey, at least it's $30 cheaper than an NHL game, so I guess it doesn't matter when my earphones get fixed", or would you want something done about it asap?
  • EA_Lanna
    179 posts EA Community Manager
    edited December 2018
    Temporarily closing to clean up. Reopening thread now. I've removed some recent posts that were getting a bit heated. The thread itself has veered a bit as well, I'll quote the summary of the opening post to bring us back. Please aim to keep posts on topic going forward and let's keep things polite and friendly (per the rules).
    EA_Roger wrote: »
    This is an article written MATTHEW KATO as he interviewed the NHL Gameplay producer Ben Ross. The original interview given can be found here.
  • EA_Lanna wrote: »
    Temporarily closing to clean up. Reopening thread now. I've removed some recent posts that were getting a bit heated. The thread itself has veered a bit as well, I'll quote the summary of the opening post to bring us back. Please aim to keep posts on topic going forward and let's keep things polite and friendly (per the rules).
    EA_Roger wrote: »
    This is an article written MATTHEW KATO as he interviewed the NHL Gameplay producer Ben Ross. The original interview given can be found here.

I'm curious...what do you think of the current state of the game? Do you think you've met the expectations of the player base? Do you think EA and your team have been as diligent as can be in keeping us informed as to what is going on with all of these known bugs since September?
  • Can we at least get real time bidding on the auction house?
  • EA_Roger
    1483 posts EA Community Manager
    @EA_Lanna is a moderator here @Moxrox84 this isn't her area of expertise. :)

As a Community Manager who works on several sports games and has worked on other games in the past I know that there is no way to satisfy an entire community of players. I also know that often unhappy players are for the most part more vocal than happy ones. That's normal in any community, I've done it on games in the past if I'm honest.

Tuning an aspect in any game will satisfy a fraction of players but could absolutely trigger other players. It's up to us to try to find that balance between both. Whenever you see a player list all of the grips he has with the current build there is often a disagreement on a point or two between players and it leads to a debate. I also know the the Ben Ross reads every post here and posts more than any dev I've seen before & that there are other devs that read a lot of feedback here too.

Ben touches base on a lot of these points in his closing statement:
    We haven’t stated anything of when that would be. It’s tough for us with those kinds of things, because it’s even possible for us to have a fix that doesn’t get approved and doesn’t go out there.
    We can never really officially say something is coming, but there is stuff – the fact that I’m talking about this many things, and talking about what we’re monitoring – if we weren’t considering things. That would be kind of crazy. That would obviously imply that we’re thinking of some things. With tuners, those things are easier for us, they’re more in our court. But that kind of falls back into, it seems whenever we tune something, people are angry, so we want to be very careful when we make changes now and we’re just kind of monitoring things closer.

I’ve got a good list on my desktop that’s kind of like, “If we were to do things for these particular things, this is what I think we could try.” Every day I kind try to devote a little bit of time to try a little bit of tuning on my own and we work with our internal QA team to try some things out and kind of float some ideas by them. It’s possible there will be another patch and another tuner, but I can’t lock anything down because even if I said we would, it might not get approved.

The above goes for bugs as well as tuning gameplay etc, we would never withhold information that would ease your mind. Anything we can share we will.
  • he says something right there that makes no sense to me. "we can never really officially say something is coming".

really why not? Most games I've played over the years the devs are very open on what they are working on. this place acts like it's against some international law to communicate with their base.
  • ExSnake01
    466 posts Member
    edited December 2018
    Ive seen plenty of happy players when people got their hands on the beta including myself. And I was extremely critical of EA hockey these last few years. I was shocked to see so many problems go away in 19. But after a few months, the game is looking a lot like 18.

The main thing people were unhappy with were the tripping penalties. That's all EA needed to fix and you guys would of had a solid hockey game.
  • Sgt_Kelso wrote: »

I have been a software developer for 18 years. Started my career in game development. I have defended EA many times stating that development is not as easy as most make it.

Having said this, if my team had a software breaking bug out in the world for almost 4 months, myself (and probably most of my dev team) would be fired. I know they are trying. It is not as if they are all sitting on their hands doing nothing. But software, and most industries, are results based industries. They made a mistake, they can't fix it. Heads usually roll and new blood comes in that can take a crack at it.

At some point formal apologies to clients should be going out.
  • rcompton78 wrote: »

I have been a software developer for 18 years. Started my career in game development. I have defended EA many times stating that development is not as easy as most make it.

Having said this, if my team had a software breaking bug out in the world for almost 4 months, myself (and probably most of my dev team) would be fired. I know they are trying. It is not as if they are all sitting on their hands doing nothing. But software, and most industries, are results based industries. They made a mistake, they can't fix it. Heads usually roll and new blood comes in that can take a crack at it.

At some point formal apologies to clients should be going out.

Nicely said, but I am passed apologies at this point.

I bought this game purely on faith.

I had faith the game I liked and purchased would not get tuned into a game I hate and wouldn't purchase. WRONG.

I had faith that it wouldn't take 3+ months to fix matchmaking. I had faith that we wouldn't be playing black vs white hoodies after 3+ months. WRONG.

I relied on faith instead of my instincts and EA's history with this franchise. I will not be WRONG again anytime soon. Hope you guys sold millions of copies for 19 cause something tells me you will need it for 20 and 21.

Such a shame that this game was praised no more than 2 months ago....
  • EA_Roger wrote: »
    @EA_Lanna is a moderator here @Moxrox84 this isn't her area of expertise. :)

As a Community Manager who works on several sports games and has worked on other games in the past I know that there is no way to satisfy an entire community of players. I also know that often unhappy players are for the most part more vocal than happy ones. That's normal in any community, I've done it on games in the past if I'm honest.

Tuning an aspect in any game will satisfy a fraction of players but could absolutely trigger other players. It's up to us to try to find that balance between both. Whenever you see a player list all of the grips he has with the current build there is often a disagreement on a point or two between players and it leads to a debate. I also know the the Ben Ross reads every post here and posts more than any dev I've seen before & that there are other devs that read a lot of feedback here too.

Ben touches base on a lot of these points in his closing statement:
    We haven’t stated anything of when that would be. It’s tough for us with those kinds of things, because it’s even possible for us to have a fix that doesn’t get approved and doesn’t go out there.
    We can never really officially say something is coming, but there is stuff – the fact that I’m talking about this many things, and talking about what we’re monitoring – if we weren’t considering things. That would be kind of crazy. That would obviously imply that we’re thinking of some things. With tuners, those things are easier for us, they’re more in our court. But that kind of falls back into, it seems whenever we tune something, people are angry, so we want to be very careful when we make changes now and we’re just kind of monitoring things closer.

I’ve got a good list on my desktop that’s kind of like, “If we were to do things for these particular things, this is what I think we could try.” Every day I kind try to devote a little bit of time to try a little bit of tuning on my own and we work with our internal QA team to try some things out and kind of float some ideas by them. It’s possible there will be another patch and another tuner, but I can’t lock anything down because even if I said we would, it might not get approved.

The above goes for bugs as well as tuning gameplay etc, we would never withhold information that would ease your mind. Anything we can share we will.

I can understand and appreciate the effort, but this is way beyond discussing the tuners you are pushing out. I helped run the World War 2 Online community forums for a good 6-7 years...I can empathize with dealing with players when there are clear and valid complaints about game changing issues.

In this case, however, the community is spot on. This was released in September, and many of the bugs we're still dealing with. Additionally, it appears that the resolution to some of the complaints has been to simply remove things each time we point something out.

For example, everyone being labeled as a "Center" during the sparse replays in drop in. Instead of fixing it and keeping replays in, you removed replays entirely.

Also, you're not seeing as many posts here (as compared to before) because A), many have been removed, and B), many players have given up because we're not seeing fixes to the bigger issues. Do you know how many dressing rooms fail before an actual game commences? I'll spend a good 20-30 mins trying to get games...being constantly thrown into dressing rooms with mismatched sides, or suddenly thrown into a room with 3 v 6 and 0:00 left on the clock to get out. Additionally, many of the failed searches require killing the game entirely to start over.

If you want to see where even more complaints are being logged and discussed openly without fear of being removed, head over to reddit...r/EA_NHL. I don't think the community is being unreasonable at all considering these things have been going on since release.