EA Forums - Banner

Are Devs going to admit the Legends trick they pulled?

Replies

• I could be wrong, but I don’t believe I ever saw anything that said you would be able to put legends into franchise, just that they would be in the game. And they are in the game.

Except the commercial that shows Gretzky lifting the cup.

Again, I'm not trying to defend EA because I'm pretty sure Legends were supposed to be in offline modes, but Gretzky lifting the cup does not imply he can be used in franchise mode. Most of the videos they post for promotional use are not actual footage, so I wouldn't make an assumption based on that.

Is there really no article or information about legends prior to release?

Gretzky lifting the cup in the oilers uniform on the cover a game version labled legends edition implies it is possible to lift the cup with Gretzky in the game does it not? Sorry you are wrong. It is false advertising.

Um, no that is not an implication. That just means they used a picture of Gretzky holding the cup...

If you can provide information that states the Legends were supposed to be in Franchise from the beginning, then that's your evidence. The only article I found was from this site:

https://www.easports.com/nhl/news/2018/nhl-19-legends-ratings-top-10-blog

16i0hjo476lt.png

In the picture I provided, it says the Legends are "Available in multiple modes", but no where does it say it will be in franchise. I'm not saying it shouldn't be in there, but this is the closest thing I am seeing to EA implying they will be available in franchise mode. A picture of Gretzky holding the cup from 1980 something does not imply this.

So again, instead of blaming EA without any proof, do some research and see if it were true from the get go. I have already started for you, but I'm done as I don't care about the legends in the game. I just like a good debate B)

You do raise some valid points here but it needs to be pointed out that some EA Devs (or representatives/moderators) have responded to this topic on several different threads and have confirmed that "there is an issue with their ages and it is being worked on." I have yet to read a single response from any of these people that says the Legends are not and will not be available in the offline modes (Franchise, etc;). They've had ample opportunities to put this controversy to rest and they keep responding with the age-is-an-issue talking point.
  • ^ it definitely has been said that Legends are supposed to be in franchise but there is an age bug that compromises the mode.
  • I could be wrong, but I don’t believe I ever saw anything that said you would be able to put legends into franchise, just that they would be in the game. And they are in the game.

Again, I'm not trying to defend EA because I'm pretty sure Legends were supposed to be in offline modes, but Gretzky lifting the cup does not imply he can be used in franchise mode. Most of the videos they post for promotional use are not actual footage, so I wouldn't make an assumption based on that.

Gretzky lifting the cup in the oilers uniform on the cover a game version labled legends edition implies it is possible to lift the cup with Gretzky in the game does it not? Sorry you are wrong. It is false advertising.
    A picture of Gretzky holding the cup from 1980 something does not imply this.

So again, instead of blaming EA without any proof, do some research and see if it were true from the get go. I have already started for you, but I'm done as I don't care about the legends in the game. I just like a good debate B)

It is not a picture from the 80s it is an animated "picture" as from the game. You can like debating all you want that doesnt change that fact.
  • ktobias16 wrote: »
    I could be wrong, but I don’t believe I ever saw anything that said you would be able to put legends into franchise, just that they would be in the game. And they are in the game.

Um, no that is not an implication. That just means they used a picture of Gretzky holding the cup...

If you can provide information that states the Legends were supposed to be in Franchise from the beginning, then that's your evidence. The only article I found was from this site:

16i0hjo476lt.png

In the picture I provided, it says the Legends are "Available in multiple modes", but no where does it say it will be in franchise. I'm not saying it shouldn't be in there, but this is the closest thing I am seeing to EA implying they will be available in franchise mode. A picture of Gretzky holding the cup from 1980 something does not imply this.

You do raise some valid points here but it needs to be pointed out that some EA Devs (or representatives/moderators) have responded to this topic on several different threads and have confirmed that "there is an issue with their ages and it is being worked on." I have yet to read a single response from any of these people that says the Legends are not and will not be available in the offline modes (Franchise, etc;). They've had ample opportunities to put this controversy to rest and they keep responding with the age-is-an-issue talking point.

Thanks for clearing it up. I honestly didn't know either way. It's just annoying when someone posts a picture or says a picture is the end all and then point blame based on their opinion of that said picture.
  • Why are the players available in chel on their teams than? Why can’t they be put on their teams just as easily in off line modes?
  • Add me to the list that feels ripped off by the legends not being widely usuable.... This tactic for sales was downright dirty... If they don’t fix it, or atleast own up to the fact they were wrong in misleading people, I’m done with them. They screwed me with Battlefront 2, and now this... I have had enough.
  • You know what, I get mistakes and overlooked problems at release. I'd be fine if they delivered on the Legends in a quick patch, if they realized their mistake and worked hard to put it out swiftly, knowing people paid money for one of the biggest features of the game.

But it's EA. And it ticks me off to no end that they still sit there and haven't delivered something that should have worked right out of the box.

It's been 41 freaking days, more for those who had early access. This is absolutely unacceptable from a product standpoint. An alleged "AAA developer."
  • I'm happy that others feel ripped off just like me, I thought most of the fan base would be "who cares about these old geezers, as long as I can play with McDavid I'm fine".

I love the legends, I would've loved to create my historic roster and all time teams and would've played happily.

Let's not let this issue die, EA - please provide some sort of update on this matter. Hoping anybody from the community can.
  • Froommey
    800 posts Member
    edited October 2018
    As I remember that Socair said they work on it to bring it in. So it is not true how many said that it was not planed to add in Franchise. What realy makes sense would when you could play with old Rosters from past.
  • jn1002000
    11 posts New member
    RSall14 wrote: »
    They probably don't have permission to put them in anything but HUT. There's no reason why it should take this long. Their code is a mess, touch one thing and it breaks another lol.
    Why would it make any difference whether they put it in HUT or the whole game
  • jn1002000
    11 posts New member
    ^ it definitely has been said that Legends are supposed to be in franchise but there is an age bug that compromises the mode.

How they have an actual kid in there named Henry Ecker
  • It's now 92 days since release and a developer hasn't said a word on any of this. Malarkey. Straight malarkey.
  • Binisteri
    35 posts Member
    edited December 2018
    I just don't get this... This is just bad customer care by not giving a single nod to consumers that actually pays part of their salary by buying these games year after a year.
  • Binisteri
    35 posts Member
    edited December 2018
    I could be wrong, but I don’t believe I ever saw anything that said you would be able to put legends into franchise, just that they would be in the game. And they are in the game.

The problem is that the legends were there already in previous releases. They added legends to HUT from time to time. But to this year's edition they made commercials about it so why make ads and make it a big deal out of it if they were already there?

So bottom line - They were in HUT 18. Why advertise them as a next big thing NHL 19 if only certain type of players get to enjoy them who were already enjoying?
  • jiajji
    334 posts Member
    edited December 2018
    ktobias16 wrote: »

16i0hjo476lt.png

Maybe a really dumb question but why don't they just make their ages conform?
  • jjb
    48 posts Member
    edited December 2018
    Man ea brings a cancerous community anywhere it goes. Rather than blame the devs year after year, why not just stop complaining about every little thing? Yes while you misunderstood thinking the game would have legends in every mode I picked up my "Legend Edition" Copy and got a legend. Yes it was in hut. I was never made to think otherwise. Now this aside let's go into why having legends Willie nillie in every mode won't work. 1 there's already full rosters, teams like Chicago would have to drop current players in game to allow for legends. 2 A good chunk of legends were passed around teams such as Gretzky. He played 5 teams alone, so explain how they were supposed to make the call of which team he would be on in the game without the same whiney community calling them biased and whatever else. 3 the game would have more legends than current players. How about we focus on the fact that if you play the game like it's hockey you have less a chance at winning just weaving in the corner and throwing cross crease passes over and over. Doesn't matter how good they make the skating mechanics or the game functions of the defensive AI is so horrible that 90% of people just exploit it. You want legends ask for a legends mode, don't call it a scan or a trick because you were stupid enough to think they would just drop current players in play now for legend-filled rosters. Makes no sense.

[Socair - edited for profanity]
  • jjb
    48 posts Member
    I get that they pushed the legend thing but .. give your head a shake. There was a Wayne Gretzky edition game. Was this to come with no legend hype? The same people complaining about no legends are the same ones who don't care how the game plays or feels, in which case you're wasting your money anyways.
  • jjb
    48 posts Member
    edited December 2018
    Or just stop buying the game? Who knows. If you're wondering why the devs don't respond to things like this it's because of the way the issues are raised. The post is a direct callout, and every comment is some negative whiney shot at ea. You were not scammed, if you think you were go back to playing nhl14 n tell me it feels or plays better. Regardless hate the game so much you're sinking your lives into the forums to complain, don't buy it and they won't produce it. Simple as that

• Edmonton, clearly
  • jjb wrote: »
    Man ea brings a cancerous community anywhere it goes. Rather than blame the devs year after year, why not just stop complaining about every little thing? Yes while you misunderstood thinking the game would have legends in every mode I picked up my "Legend Edition" Copy and got a legend. Yes it was in hut. I was never made to think otherwise. Now this aside let's go into why having legends Willie nillie in every mode won't work. 1 there's already full rosters, teams like Chicago would have to drop current players in game to allow for legends. 2 A good chunk of legends were passed around teams such as Gretzky. He played 5 teams alone, so explain how they were supposed to make the call of which team he would be on in the game without the same whiney community calling them biased and whatever else. 3 the game would have more legends than current players. How about we focus on the fact that if you play the game like it's hockey you have less a chance at winning just weaving in the corner and throwing cross crease passes over and over. Doesn't matter how good they make the skating mechanics or the game functions of the defensive AI is so horrible that 90% of people just exploit it. You want legends ask for a legends mode, don't call it a scan or a trick because you were stupid enough to think they would just drop current players in play now for legend-filled rosters. Makes no sense.

Or just put the legends on the all star legend teams as it is but make it possible to move them to other teams as we like. Not very complicated. It was done exactly like that in NHL 12, why wouldn't it work now?

Yes, it was kind of a scam. EA advertised the legends in their NHL team uniforms, with Gretzky lifting the cup as an Oiler, which is not possible to do in the game. How anyone can argue that is not false advertising is beyond me. Why wouldn't you think you could put Gretzky on the Oilers if that was in the advertising?