EA Forums - Banner

Bacon Country asks "Would you buy NHL 19 now?" Everyone says no.

Replies

• Kuus2 wrote: »
    All I want is for them to either nerf ragging the puck behind players back to the ground and do something to disencourage skating backwards.

Not only does the puck ragging make you immune to checking, but as AI D-men are muted only way to challenge is 1on1, which ALWAYS leaves one man out of position since that move simply cannot be beaten when done right. (Always a pass or deke opportunity)

Skating backwards not only is an incredibly easy way to turn away from the opposing D-man, you also get a speed boost while turning.

My eyes hurt from all the rolling when I happen to match up with any top 100 player in comp seasons due to these mechanics. Hockey in my mind should not look as it does currently at the top level.

But that is what the Devs have called the Skill Gap , these latest tuner have made this game garbage well except this latest patch it took away that cheesy backhand flip glitch shoot away and the elite are already crying about it

Skill gap lies in the fact Players can "rag" vs some opponents and not others.

People want the game dumbed down so everyone is good at D, not necessarily a bad idea if that's what gets sales.

• LeFury_27
    203 posts Member
    edited December 2018
    jiajji wrote: »
    Kuus2 wrote: »
    All I want is for them to either nerf ragging the puck behind players back to the ground and do something to disencourage skating backwards.

Not only does the puck ragging make you immune to checking, but as AI D-men are muted only way to challenge is 1on1, which ALWAYS leaves one man out of position since that move simply cannot be beaten when done right. (Always a pass or deke opportunity)

Skating backwards not only is an incredibly easy way to turn away from the opposing D-man, you also get a speed boost while turning.

My eyes hurt from all the rolling when I happen to match up with any top 100 player in comp seasons due to these mechanics. Hockey in my mind should not look as it does currently at the top level.

But that is what the Devs have called the Skill Gap , these latest tuner have made this game garbage well except this latest patch it took away that cheesy backhand flip glitch shoot away and the elite are already crying about it

People want the game dumbed down so everyone is good at D, not necessarily a bad idea if that's what gets sales.

I'd say "dumbed down" is being able to score the exact same goal every time on a breakaway/penalty shot by doing the same move. Or by going to a certain spot on the ice and taking a wrist shot to have it go in every single time as long as it's not blocked or you don't miss the net.

I'd love to see some creativity but you know some people are against that. A question, does real life hockey work like this? I don't think it does but you tell me.

I really think what you mean is it's dumbed down so everyone is good at offense. You know, being able to memorize certain moves/shots that go in every time. No need to cycle, shoot from the point, try for deflections or actually make good passing plays. Reward players who have 0 Hockey IQ and don't have any idea how the sport is played.
  • LeFury_27 wrote: »

I'd say "dumbed down" is being able to score the exact same goal every time on a breakaway/penalty shot by doing the same move. Or by going to a certain spot on the ice and taking a wrist shot to have it go in every single time as long as it's not blocked or you don't miss the net.

I'd love to see some creativity but you know some people are against that. A question, does real life hockey work like this? I don't think it does but you tell me.

I really think what you mean is it's dumbed down so everyone is good at offense. You know, being able to memorize certain moves/shots that go in every time. No need to cycle, shoot from the point, try for deflections or actually make good passing plays. Reward players who have 0 Hockey IQ and don't have any idea how the sport is played.

There you go dumb down so all the elite can be told how great they are speaking of elite I heard one say on his stream and I quote "the AI defender should be dumb as SH....but not the AI on offense" end quote
  • If you stop people from getting to those spots they'll either get creative or lose, as you face better competition people will able to score from all over the ice. People cant expect the developers to bail them out of bad defense.

I see tips and cycling all the time, the better teams ALL cycle the puck.

• LeFury_27
    203 posts Member
    edited December 2018
    If you stop people from getting to those spots they'll either get creative or lose, as you face better competition people will able to score from all over the ice. People cant expect the developers to bail them out of bad defense.

It doesn't matter if you can stop them, it's simply unrealistic and there is no argument. No NHL player can ever replicate the same goal every time on a breakaway or penalty shot. Do you think the same move will work every time? If it did why would NHL players ever try anything different when they get penalty shots or breakaways?

No NHL team can skate into the other teams zone and score from the same spot every time. It's unrealistic and whether or not you can or cannot defend certain shots it shouldn't work. Goalies are not that stupid and they will catch on to a team trying the same thing over and over. Not only that the short side goals that go in so easily in NHL 19 would never go in on an NHL goalie. If it does it was a fluke and if a NHL goalie let that those goals in consistently they wouldn't be in the NHL. No one who wants a realistic hockey sim will argue for this type of garbage goals.

You just said you didn't want a dumbed down unrealistic game yet you are arguing for UNREALISTIC goals that never happen in the NHL.

Pick one, arcade or sim.
  • Sgt_Kelso
    1325 posts Member
    edited December 2018
    Look, the issue is very simple: CPU goalies let all the short side snipes in, and secondly when you do that curling move with the puck, all hits bounce off you. You really think that's ok? You think that's great hockey?

We can defend these things, but it's ridiculous that we even have to it. Not to mention boring, and it forces the d-men to play 'bad' hockey. You don't cover the open man, you try to block that snipe. You don't hit the guy who's spinning on his heels like ballerina, because you cant. Even though in real hockey he'd be lying flat on the ice by now?

Sure, some good teams don't use them, so what? If they don't use them, they aren't part of the issue. So why should they be against eliminating these things? Why are you?
  • TTZ_Dipsy
    518 posts Member
    edited December 2018
    I've been reading the comments here and I'm astounded by the comments from the dev. I've stopped playing NHL as I felt cheated every year (started playing in 96). Look on internet, look at the forums, people don't like this franchise anymore. It's pretty sad to ask 80$ each year for games that clearly can't nail the polish of other 80$ games and even other sports games. I used to love playing these games but how sad has it become. I might get some hate from users on this forum and that is fine but I really wanted someone from EA to read my opinion...that is shared by such a big community. I know you must work really hard on the game but as someone passionate with games, you must know that it's insane to ask 80$ every year? Goalies are so seriously flawed, sticks going through other players (like if it's a ps1 game), momentum that is so seriously unbalanced that it really looks like ice tilt, grinders that can snipe incredible goals every game, an AI that you simply can't trust ..I mean...come on.

Why do you think you'll get hate for saying all that, was it the part about them working hard? lol I think it takes a lot of dedication and extremely hard work to drive your product this far into the ground and constantly defend the decision for so long. It's all about milking Ultimate Team packs till it's financially unviable, like with FIFA.

Having the option to choose your tuner and only get matched with like-minded people is a simple solution to make everyone happy
  • TTZ_Dipsy wrote: »
    I've been reading the comments here and I'm astounded by the comments from the dev. I've stopped playing NHL as I felt cheated every year (started playing in 96). Look on internet, look at the forums, people don't like this franchise anymore. It's pretty sad to ask 80$ each year for games that clearly can't nail the polish of other 80$ games and even other sports games. I used to love playing these games but how sad has it become. I might get some hate from users on this forum and that is fine but I really wanted someone from EA to read my opinion...that is shared by such a big community. I know you must work really hard on the game but as someone passionate with games, you must know that it's insane to ask 80$ every year? Goalies are so seriously flawed, sticks going through other players (like if it's a ps1 game), momentum that is so seriously unbalanced that it really looks like ice tilt, grinders that can snipe incredible goals every game, an AI that you simply can't trust ..I mean...come on.

Why do you think you'll get hate for saying all that, was it the part about them working hard? lol I think it takes a lot of dedication and extremely hard work to drive your product this far into the ground and constantly defend the decision for so long. It's all about milking Ultimate Team packs till it's financially unviable, like with FIFA.

Having the option to choose your tuner and only get matched with like-minded people is a simple solution to make everyone happy

I wish the Devs could answer if it would be be possible to have two separate tuners for this game because it seems from every you read about this game people want back the beta tuner
  • jiajji wrote: »
    If you stop people from getting to those spots they'll either get creative or lose, as you face better competition people will able to score from all over the ice. People cant expect the developers to bail them out of bad defense.

I agree with you, but Tuner 1.03 nerfed all the defensive tools. Stick lifting is nearly impossible, hitting is ineffective, the DSS is useless, and poking is lackluster at best (and if you're at all delayed on the connection, it's useless too).

I don't need devs to bail out my bad defense, I want my tools back that allowed me to play defense. I'm fine with high danger areas being high scoring areas, but it's nearly impossible to keep people out of those areas after 1.03.
  • Never posted before, this popped in my google news feed of all places. Avid chel guy, agree the games a disaster.

Clearly the need for two separate tuners as 6v6 is clearly a different animal than vs/HUT. Tho what I would really like to see for EASHL is a community editable competitive mod (see online league games like c.s 1.6 and call of duty etc) for competitive leagues.

Something like this allows you to leave the core game alone for casual users and will allow the competive community to tweak the game to be better suited to an E-sports type setting.

You have two different communities with two different opinions and only one game. Stop trying to make 1 game for two communities and start giving us some tools to improve it for everyone

You’re not getting the job done!

It doesn't matter if you can stop them, it's simply unrealistic and there is no argument. No NHL player can ever replicate the same goal every time on a breakaway or penalty shot. Do you think the same move will work every time? If it did why would NHL players ever try anything different when they get penalty shots or breakaways?

No NHL team can skate into the other teams zone and score from the same spot every time. It's unrealistic and whether or not you can or cannot defend certain shots it shouldn't work. Goalies are not that stupid and they will catch on to a team trying the same thing over and over. Not only that the short side goals that go in so easily in NHL 19 would never go in on an NHL goalie. If it does it was a fluke and if a NHL goalie let that those goals in consistently they wouldn't be in the NHL. No one who wants a realistic hockey sim will argue for this type of garbage goals.

You just said you didn't want a dumbed down unrealistic game yet you are arguing for UNREALISTIC goals that never happen in the NHL.

Pick one, arcade or sim.

Every player on earth would slap their mom to get a shot from those spots, its absurd to suggest those aren't prime scoring spots.
  • Sgt_Kelso wrote: »
    Look, the issue is very simple: CPU goalies let all the short side snipes in, and secondly when you do that curling move with the puck, all hits bounce off you. You really think that's ok? You think that's great hockey?

We can defend these things, but it's ridiculous that we even have to it. Not to mention boring, and it forces the d-men to play 'bad' hockey. You don't cover the open man, you try to block that snipe. You don't hit the guy who's spinning on his heels like ballerina, because you cant. Even though in real hockey he'd be lying flat on the ice by now?

Sure, some good teams don't use them, so what? If they don't use them, they aren't part of the issue. So why should they be against eliminating these things? Why are you?

All hits do not bounce off you in any situation. It depends on relative speed and angle.

How many times I've seen someone post a video on this forum claiming "hits just bounce off" and it was a garbage try.

I agree with you, but Tuner 1.03 nerfed all the defensive tools. Stick lifting is nearly impossible, hitting is ineffective, the DSS is useless, and poking is lackluster at best (and if you're at all delayed on the connection, it's useless too).

I don't need devs to bail out my bad defense, I want my tools back that allowed me to play defense. I'm fine with high danger areas being high scoring areas, but it's nearly impossible to keep people out of those areas after 1.03.

Those tools are ALL there. How are we supposed to discuss this with that amount of hyperbole in your post?

No dude, I play D exclusively.

You know what I love to see? People playing this game as you describe, trying for the same 3 shots all game long.

Easy to defend. Good teams have to score greasy goals, tips, rebounds, one-t. You never see people doing the nonsense you're talking about in a competitive 6s game. It's not even easy to score those cheese goals in 3s vs a team d-ing it.

The only goal I think needs to be dealt with is the short side in the specific situation where the d has the cc covered so the goalie should lock that down. The rest is fine.
    LeFury_27 wrote: »

You know what I love to see? People playing this game as you describe, trying for the same 3 shots all game long.

Easy to defend. Good teams have to score greasy goals, tips, rebounds, one-t. You never see people doing the nonsense you're talking about in a competitive 6s game. It's not even easy to score those cheese goals in 3s vs a team d-ing it.

The only goal I think needs to be dealt with is the short side in the specific situation where the d has the cc covered so the goalie should lock that down. The rest is fine.

I don't know if your trolling or not lol. Because if you have played 3's and don't know what I'm talking about than I don't know what to tell you because about 90% of the people on this forum do and have seen it since NHL 16. I guess you must be too good and can defend like bobby orr. But I read every social media platform and you are in about the 5% that either say these goals are non-existent, are easy to defend or should be in the game.

Anyways, you do you.

Those tools are ALL there. How are we supposed to discuss this with that amount of hyperbole in your post?

Hitting is 30% as effective as in 1.00
    Stick Lift is 5% as effective as in 1.00
    DSS is 100% as effective as in 1.00 - and it still sucks
    Poke is 75% as effective as in 1.00.

Better?

How many times I've seen someone post a video on this forum claiming "hits just bounce off" and it was a garbage try.

Never?

https://www.reddit.com/r/EA_NHL/comments/a4ns8k/what_on_earth_did_they_do_to_hitting_this_guy/

All I can say is you're fortunate if you never encounter these types of teams. Maybe competitive teams don't try them, so what? Is this game made for competitive teams only? You're still missing the point, if the competitive teams don't use the curl back (and I very much doubt it), or the short-side bug wrister, then why are you so opposed against the devs doing something about them? Why?

You think they should be in the game, because they're part of hockey? Yes, short-side wristers go in sometimes, but almost EVERY time? You don't see that in sixes, because human goalies know what to do. It's a BUG that doesn't apply to competitive sixes, for goodness sake! Why bring competitive teams or 6v6 into it? It has no bearing on the issue.

Whereas curling tippy toes, you can see that a plenty at least where I am playing, regardless of the level or number of players. I don't play much leagues anymore, and it's absolutely true competitive teams don't need or use it I guess, but then I imagine they wouldn't oppose eliminating the invulnerable tripod which does bounce almost every hit. Claiming it doesn't work is just ignorance on your part.

I don't know if your trolling or not lol. Because if you have played 3's and don't know what I'm talking about than I don't know what to tell you because about 90% of the people on this forum do and have seen it since NHL 16. I guess you must be too good and can defend like bobby orr. But I read every social media platform and you are in about the 5% that either say these goals are non-existent, are easy to defend or should be in the game.

Anyways, you do you.

Anyways, you do you.

First off let's all agree that Hockey is a 6v6 game and this game should be tuned to reflect that with everything else being a throw in.

When it's 3v3 there is a lot of open ice, and puck possetion becomes easy. If you're playing with that much open Ice you're going to be punished for laying on a weak hit. I don't assume I'm better at this than you, but I see exactly the sytle of play you're talking about in drop ins and vs pretty bad teams (3v3).

A lot of the problem lies in the fact everyone is running a 5'7" 165lb ply/snip/dangler build thinking they should also be able to hit a PMD at low speed at trash angles and dislodge the puck. A lot of the problem also lies in the fact that a lot of people play on teams who when they fail to dislodge the puck decide the best course of action is to send a SECOND 5'7" 165lb ply/snip/dangler build into that action and now the PMD is clowing two players who end up frustrated and taking a penalty.

Other people refusing to learn doesn't make me Bobby Orr, that strategy doesn't work against teams playing a zone and it doesn't always work against power builds. It takes teamwork to shut down the cheese spots, it's not an all me thing.

I think this game would be much better if the Goalies were a bit stronger, particularly if they could recognize when the CC is not a threat because it's covered, even better would be if they could learn tendancies. But the defensive tools are pretty spot on.

Real quck one thing about me "trolling" and "90% of the people here agreeing".

I'm not trolling simply because I have a different opinion of the game than you, or because I say I'm finding success. And I find the suggestion laughable coming from the crowd that creates 3 threads every day saying the same thing while mocking Ben for telling people they might want to consider elevating their game because others are finding success. The Beta ship has sailed, Ben has told you that too. I don't know how may times you have to hear that on day 1 the game was different because people hadn't figured it out yet. Nobody should want more tripping (beta) and weak slow shoves from behind causing auto giveaways (also beta).

I've also said more than once that if 90% of your customers are truely demanding something good business is to give it to them so if almost everyone really wants beta (unfinished version) then EA should probably give it to them. Me personally, just expressing my opinion, is I'd like to be rewarded for good team play, not have the devs bail me out of tripping penalties and not playing sound positional hockey.

TL;DR version:

Beta wasn't better.

When I get beat (and I get beat), I don't blame the game.

Hitting is 30% as effective as in 1.00
    Stick Lift is 5% as effective as in 1.00
    DSS is 100% as effective as in 1.00 - and it still sucks

Better?

No, those are completely arbitrary #s you pulled from your ****, how could it be better?

"hitting is 30% as effective"

Hitting should have been toned down, thats a +

"Stick Lift is 5% as effective as in 1.00"

Stick lift is 100% effective with good positioning, I don't suppose you're saying you'd like to be able to stick lift effectively when you've been beaten, but maybe you don't want to take penalties when you're beaten?

"DSS is 100% as effective as in 1.00 - and it still sucks"

Really? I use it all the time, it's my favorite tool, what sucks about it?

"Poke is 75% as effective as in 1.00."

Tripping has been nerfed, meaning Poke is more effective.