EA Forums - Banner

Advice for Defenseman?

Replies

• If the Watermelons are considered “good” then this community has really dropped off lol. That was some of the worst virtual hockey I’ve ever watched.

As for advice, the “less is more” approach is the best advice I’ve seen posted. I’m a from ESHL/Pro series D, the biggest issue I see with people struggling to get interceptions is they are moving too much and holding “LT”. Try it for yourself everyone, it’s been like this since TPS ruined the community seven years back. You have to feather LT and then let it go when you’re reading a pass coming through.

My other big tip would be to get your skates on the shooter’s stock this year. In the beta due to everything being fast an exciting again, I was noticing that there were more situations where standing nearly still and feathering wasn’t a viable option against elite teams. I instead played very man-to-man in hopes to make the 1T whiff due to my skate positioning. That, along with feathering LT when I was in good enough position to use that tool to force interceptions gave me very good results.

What is clearly missing from the beta is the strategy to finish checks in the corner. Nerfing the hitting really took a tool that’s used very commonly in real-life away from the Dmen and that was finishing checks. With the hitting how it is now, I couldn’t recommend that strategy, but it certainly was a viable one during the beta which lead to the most memorable, exciting gameplay I’d seen in this series since 2011.

Last tip, don’t chase outside the dots. It’s not worth it with the new glide and tickle tuners. Stay patient inside the dots like a pylon and just feather LT to pick off the pass. This game has returned to the same stale, mundane gameplay that everyone has mastered since 16 and it’s made defense repetitive and easy again.

The beta actually had a skill gap because people who passively poked and face huge gaps were absolutely shredded by forwards using LT and quick passing. Never seen so many fast-paces, high action 6s games in my life than in the ESHL scene during the beta. Sad that this game was ruined only months after.
  • If the Watermelons are considered “good” then this community has really dropped off lol. That was some of the worst virtual hockey I’ve ever watched.

As for advice, the “less is more” approach is the best advice I’ve seen posted. I’m a from ESHL/Pro series D, the biggest issue I see with people struggling to get interceptions is they are moving too much and holding “LT”. Try it for yourself everyone, it’s been like this since TPS ruined the community seven years back. You have to feather LT and then let it go when you’re reading a pass coming through.

My other big tip would be to get your skates on the shooter’s stock this year. In the beta due to everything being fast an exciting again, I was noticing that there were more situations where standing nearly still and feathering wasn’t a viable option against elite teams. I instead played very man-to-man in hopes to make the 1T whiff due to my skate positioning. That, along with feathering LT when I was in good enough position to use that tool to force interceptions gave me very good results.

What is clearly missing from the beta is the strategy to finish checks in the corner. Nerfing the hitting really took a tool that’s used very commonly in real-life away from the Dmen and that was finishing checks. With the hitting how it is now, I couldn’t recommend that strategy, but it certainly was a viable one during the beta which lead to the most memorable, exciting gameplay I’d seen in this series since 2011.

Last tip, don’t chase outside the dots. It’s not worth it with the new glide and tickle tuners. Stay patient inside the dots like a pylon and just feather LT to pick off the pass. This game has returned to the same stale, mundane gameplay that everyone has mastered since 16 and it’s made defense repetitive and easy again.

The beta actually had a skill gap because people who passively poked and face huge gaps were absolutely shredded by forwards using LT and quick passing. Never seen so many fast-paces, high action 6s games in my life than in the ESHL scene during the beta. Sad that this game was ruined only months after.

Nobody said the team was good, but they were experiencing success. It's funny how all of the old gen players think they're better than everyone else though, as if ajrockers didn't figure skate his way through 11
  • What can I do to make sure my player picks up the puck in front of the net when there’s a rebound? How can I make sure my player intercepts a pass when I’m in the middle of the passing lane for cross crease? I’m tired of getting yelled at for these goals by my teammates

For one timers position your feet on the scorers stick blade, look at the puck and dont do anything as the pass is in motion. If the puck ea's through your player you should at least block or flub the shot.

For picking up the rebounds, once it hits your goalie the defenders should be boxing out the attackers. Think of it as a rebound in the NBA, your goalie is the basket. You dont need to pick up the puck so much as make sure the other team can't. You should have already been between them and the goalie anyway, just maintain that positioning after the shot and adjust to where the puck went.
  • MooseHunter10
    402 posts Member
    edited December 2018
    Basically you need to be in perfect position, facing the puck, and not making any controller inputs. Then pray.

The devs have confirmed that you are not eligible for an interception / puck pickup if youre in another animation, so pretty much this.
    EASHL player
  • jiajji wrote: »
    If the Watermelons are considered “good” then this community has really dropped off lol. That was some of the worst virtual hockey I’ve ever watched.

Nobody said the team was good, but they were experiencing success. It's funny how all of the old gen players think they're better than everyone else though, as if ajrockers didn't figure skate his way through 11

It has nothing to do with being an “old-gen” player, it just has to do with being around the “elite” players. Weirdly enough, no matter how you tune the game the same people will be elite. NHL 19 was the first year that I saw the “elite” actually have a distinct skill gap between them due to the quickness and necessity to pass and make decisions quickly. This game became so much more mental and “Hockey IQ” based than thumbskill-based than ever before and it was due to the effective body checking.

I get tired of reading arguments that try to justify the hitting nerf by saying “it still works” then cherry-picking a video where hitting works when lining some terrible player up in a public match. Hitting was nerfed and nerfed hard. If you play with the “elite” players, you would’ve noticed how some of the really top-tier teams struggled in the beta due to their go-to plays that required wiggling and gliding being negated. You saw passive dmen get eaten alive but good puck handlers because it lead to lots of trips. This game for once promoted man-to-man, tight-gap defense with lots of physicality to be successful and the passive players weren’t told to “adapt” or “get gud.”

I’m a defensemen at the highest level, have been since last-gen and have been successful in every iteration which I only bring up to satisfy the “you’re only good because of” arguments that usually pop-up. I’ve played passively for years with success, but man was this beta such a breath of fresh air. Different meta, more realistic physicality imo, and a game where knowing hockey might’ve been your best assets at the top-level. To have all of that ruined in two months then justify it with less then impressive videos against players than can barely protect the puck effectively just seems like a tired argument to me.
  • Basically you need to be in perfect position, facing the puck, and not making any controller inputs. Then pray.

The devs have confirmed that you are not eligible for an interception / puck pickup if youre in another animation, so pretty much this.

Just attempting to square up to the incoming pass can put you into an animation where your player takes his stick right off the ice opening up what should be a closed passing lane.

But offensive players that are the target of a pass can easily pick up pucks in stride and even one-time them without needing to be perfectly still.

As someone who generally dislikes a lot of the automated portions of the game ( especially pass reception animations pulling me out of my lane ) I'm really starting to think that there needs to be more automation in disrupting incoming passes for defensive players. If you're square to the incoming puck it should be rare that it gets through you cleanly. You shouldn't necessarily be able to steal the puck consistently, but the act of breaking up a pass by getting your stick on the puck and deflecting it away is a trivial hockey play that you don't see often in NHL 19.

• jiajji
    333 posts Member
    edited December 2018
    jiajji wrote: »
    If the Watermelons are considered “good” then this community has really dropped off lol. That was some of the worst virtual hockey I’ve ever watched.

It has nothing to do with being an “old-gen” player, it just has to do with being around the “elite” players. Weirdly enough, no matter how you tune the game the same people will be elite. NHL 19 was the first year that I saw the “elite” actually have a distinct skill gap between them due to the quickness and necessity to pass and make decisions quickly. This game became so much more mental and “Hockey IQ” based than thumbskill-based than ever before and it was due to the effective body checking.

I get tired of reading arguments that try to justify the hitting nerf by saying “it still works” then cherry-picking a video where hitting works when lining some terrible player up in a public match. Hitting was nerfed and nerfed hard. If you play with the “elite” players, you would’ve noticed how some of the really top-tier teams struggled in the beta due to their go-to plays that required wiggling and gliding being negated. You saw passive dmen get eaten alive but good puck handlers because it lead to lots of trips. This game for once promoted man-to-man, tight-gap defense with lots of physicality to be successful and the passive players weren’t told to “adapt” or “get gud.”

I’m a defensemen at the highest level, have been since last-gen and have been successful in every iteration which I only bring up to satisfy the “you’re only good because of” arguments that usually pop-up. I’ve played passively for years with success, but man was this beta such a breath of fresh air. Different meta, more realistic physicality imo, and a game where knowing hockey might’ve been your best assets at the top-level. To have all of that ruined in two months then justify it with less then impressive videos against players than can barely protect the puck effectively just seems like a tired argument to me.

That's a bit dramatic considering we're looking at a 3v3 game, the 6s clubs aren't dominating on thumb skill alone. This game is the same as it's always been, the top teams are dominating with chemistry and yes, setting up plays and cycling. hitting hasn't been nerfed, it works, particularly on a crowded ice. If anything, the 6s games are a bit too clogged.
  • Alright as a pretty good dman I'll break this down. When they get over their blue line you need to be set up and skating backwards from the middle line to shut them down and trap them as they get to your blue line.

You want to let them come over but not without sending a poke or putting your body as an obstacle just over that blue line. You are trying to cause offsides with this in 6's. You can reset the play and regain control.

In the defensive zone, you want to sit lower right, you don't want to venture out to get their skater if he's playing around in your corner you want to keep the DSS situated in the lane out in front and use it to cut off their route to the net with your body and by staying close to their angle towards the net. You don't want to let the guy with a shooting stick on your side of the ice to be open. If he's on his backhand on that side you can give him a little more cushion.

The main goal is don't over pursue but don't be a pushover.
  • Sgt_Kelso
    1321 posts Member
    edited December 2018
    Yeah, making them change direction at blueline is a good way to force another opposing playing into offside. I feel in our club we let them too easy on our defensive zone. I keep telling the guys to be more aggressive but not hit them at blueline, because you only put yourself out of position.

As for intercepting passes, I feel the game often just doesn't want you to do that, all the animations seem to work against you then. Whereas all the animations for offensive players seem to facilitate shooting, ie. making it easier. I think maybe one-timers should be manual only? Having said that, there are often situations where I whiff the one-timer shot on offense...

Talking about automations, why not include automatic feature where your player tries to keep the puck within the zone close to the blueline? I can't count the number of situations, where the puck just slips and inch over to the wrong side due to involuntary animation. The system just doesn't include the finesse for movement or stick-handling like that. It's much better than last year, but not even close to good even now. This would help a lot in maintaining that powerplay, because the d-men are hard pressed enough by the opponents to keep the puck away from their sticks. Or is this one thing that should be about thumb control?
  • CMBDeadly wrote: »

You want to let them come over but not without sending a poke or putting your body as an obstacle just over that blue line. You are trying to cause offsides with this in 6's.

I like to use the same move a couple times to get an idea of how the puck carrier is going to react. Usually they have a tendency, if you can identify it you can lay him out.

That's a bit dramatic considering we're looking at a 3v3 game, the 6s clubs aren't dominating on thumb skill alone. This game is the same as it's always been, the top teams are dominating with chemistry and yes, setting up plays and cycling. hitting hasn't been nerfed, it works, particularly on a crowded ice. If anything, the 6s games are a bit too clogged.

3v3 EASHL where both teams struggled to get 2 combined goals with 60 2-on-1s lol? Trust me, it was bad...anyway I’m sorry that you’re having trouble understanding. The elite teams (still with me?) were separating from each other (other elite teams, still with me?) due to the hockey IQ required before the nerf (nerf /= broken). There’s a big difference between a nerf and something being broken. The hitting isn’t the same, it’s been reduced, or in video-game-speak, nerfed.

On the “old-gen” button skill was the determining factor in who won over knowing hockey. The game was a puck-hog fest with glitchy deke animations and certain spots you’d try to get to on the ice where even human goalies didn’t have an answer. Hockey IQ was completely irrelevant if the other team had better stick skills.

This new-gen of games hasn’t faired much better. Unfortunately for most people, a lack of stick skills made hockey IQ irrelevant online. People who are simply better than their opponents with their thumbs will win most times regardless of how they’re playing hockey. This lead to many of the elite teams to be very even, even to the point where weird bounces and goals through the pad were deciding many games.

NHL 19 was the first game where it made hockey IQ an actual relevant factor when elite teams were playing each other (still with me?) the twirlers, the wigglers, the “cycle” plays you mentioned that relied on precise timing and the ability to bounce off checks were made significantly harder. This made the experience a lot faster. You had to make decisions at a very fast pace and mistakes were costly as everything happened so fast (similar to rocket league...with obviously 1/1000th the skill required as that game). This lead to a more rewarding experience and a better all-around hockey video game experience.

Btw 6s games are too clogged because speed and checking were reduced and pokes were made less of a risk. When you let average people spam pokes and negate hits with even the smallest amount of “game-IQ” then your product turns into a slow, mundane experience where there’s no separation. All the whiners that had the LT skating reduced and hitting reduced ruined the most competitive hockey experience we’ve ever had. Now all we get are posts about how the hitting “still works...just not as well” that are attempting to justify this new slow game experience that’s isn’t rewarding or enjoyable to most users.

3v3 EASHL where both teams struggled to get 2 combined goals with 60 2-on-1s lol? Trust me, it was bad...anyway I’m sorry that you’re having trouble understanding. The elite teams (still with me?) were separating from each other (other elite teams, still with me?) due to the hockey IQ required before the nerf (nerf /= broken). There’s a big difference between a nerf and something being broken. The hitting isn’t the same, it’s been reduced, or in video-game-speak, nerfed.

On the “old-gen” button skill was the determining factor in who won over knowing hockey. The game was a puck-hog fest with glitchy deke animations and certain spots you’d try to get to on the ice where even human goalies didn’t have an answer. Hockey IQ was completely irrelevant if the other team had better stick skills.

This new-gen of games hasn’t faired much better. Unfortunately for most people, a lack of stick skills made hockey IQ irrelevant online. People who are simply better than their opponents with their thumbs will win most times regardless of how they’re playing hockey. This lead to many of the elite teams to be very even, even to the point where weird bounces and goals through the pad were deciding many games.

NHL 19 was the first game where it made hockey IQ an actual relevant factor when elite teams were playing each other (still with me?) the twirlers, the wigglers, the “cycle” plays you mentioned that relied on precise timing and the ability to bounce off checks were made significantly harder. This made the experience a lot faster. You had to make decisions at a very fast pace and mistakes were costly as everything happened so fast (similar to rocket league...with obviously 1/1000th the skill required as that game). This lead to a more rewarding experience and a better all-around hockey video game experience.

Btw 6s games are too clogged because speed and checking were reduced and pokes were made less of a risk. When you let average people spam pokes and negate hits with even the smallest amount of “game-IQ” then your product turns into a slow, mundane experience where there’s no separation. All the whiners that had the LT skating reduced and hitting reduced ruined the most competitive hockey experience we’ve ever had. Now all we get are posts about how the hitting “still works...just not as well” that are attempting to justify this new slow game experience that’s isn’t rewarding or enjoyable to most users.

Idk what you're responding to in your 1st paragraph, I said from the beginning the video was meant to demonstrate the defensive tools are effective. In the 1st minute if the game there are successful pokes, hits & intercepts. You think they're both bad, I get it, this thread is starting to read like a platform for your low-key bragging. The skill involved was never the point. The fact that both teams are laughably bad to you (again, didn't ask your opinion) should be enough demonstration that anyone can have success vs a lesser opponent with the tools available.

Do you get it, or did I lose you?

• Its Insufferable how some of you people can turn every thread into a moan-fest for the beta.

Idk what you're responding to in your 1st paragraph, I said from the beginning the video was meant to demonstrate the defensive tools are effective. In the 1st minute if the game there are successful pokes, hits & intercepts. You think they're both bad, I get it, this thread is starting to read like a platform for your low-key bragging. The skill involved was never the point. The fact that both teams are laughably bad to you (again, didn't ask your opinion) should be enough demonstration that anyone can have success vs a lesser opponent with the tools available.

I never said all of the tools were bad, please stick to discussing what I wrote. to say the hitting is anything other than nerfed is foolish. That whole video was terrible offense, of course hitting looks great against people that aren’t good lol. Watch two good teams play, boring trap-fest again because the various gameplay updates nerfed hitting and poke check penalties which severely hindered the necessity to make decisions quickly.

We get it, you love twirling in the corner and automatic goals. That’s awesome. Some of us like real hockey and the realistic physicality we saw pre-nerf. There was never a better example of “real-hockey” being played in 6s than the beta. Now, I’ll get back to my realistic offline sliders and you get back to your twirling public matches so you get your leaderboard rank lol.

I never said all of the tools were bad, please stick to discussing what I wrote. to say the hitting is anything other than nerfed is foolish. That whole video was terrible offense, of course hitting looks great against people that aren’t good lol. Watch two good teams play, boring trap-fest again because the various gameplay updates nerfed hitting and poke check penalties which severely hindered the necessity to make decisions quickly.

We get it, you love twirling in the corner and automatic goals. That’s awesome. Some of us like real hockey and the realistic physicality we saw pre-nerf. There was never a better example of “real-hockey” being played in 6s than the beta. Now, I’ll get back to my realistic offline sliders and you get back to your twirling public matches so you get your leaderboard rank lol.

A boring trap fest, Why aren't they using superior thumb skills?
  • NHLDev
    1671 posts EA NHL Developer
    That seems to be twisting something that was said before. I have seen people say you can't be skating backwards and intercept the puck. You can definitely do that and it happens all the time.

There are some positions in stops and pivots that limit your abilities due to the differences in what you are trying to do and the physical position you are in but overall, you should be able to blend into a pickup/interception as long as you have enough reaction time when looking at the pucks relative speed to you and the angle/position it is passing you in. Your players ratings will play into this calculation as well so you will see way more inteceptions in EASHL with a two way forward or defensive defenseman than you will a sniper or offensive defensemen for example.
  • If you accidentally trigger an animation your player won’t intercept it. (Also applies to trying to poke, hit or stick lift).

I find this in particular bit annoying. Good offensive player's aren't going just park themselves in a spot waiting for a pass, so as a defenseman you constantly need to be moving to cover the passing lane. It's far too easy to move slightly too much at once and trigger an animation that makes you extremely vulnerable to a pass going right through you.

Meanwhile the offensive player can skate full speed and one-time the puck no problem.

Just gonna throw it out there that this wasn't an issue in 1.00. I play with 1.00 offline and have no trouble intercepting the puck no matter what animation I'm in. But I have your issue online. Yet another example of how 1.00 is better
  • It seems pass interceptions have been toned down with the tuner but the AI goalie stopping these have increased by a lot. Once in a while, I also see AI players poke checking. This was something I didn't see much in 1.0 tuner.
  • ExSnake01 wrote: »
    It seems pass interceptions have been toned down with the tuner but the AI goalie stopping these have increased by a lot. Once in a while, I also see AI players poke checking. This was something I didn't see much in 1.0 tuner.

Are you sure you see AI poke checking? I ask because EA have said on several occasions that they completely disabled all AI defensive maneuvers like hitting, lifting, and poking.
  • ExSnake01
    466 posts Member
    edited December 2018
    ExSnake01 wrote: »
    It seems pass interceptions have been toned down with the tuner but the AI goalie stopping these have increased by a lot. Once in a while, I also see AI players poke checking. This was something I didn't see much in 1.0 tuner.

Are you sure you see AI poke checking? I ask because EA have said on several occasions that they completely disabled all AI defensive maneuvers like hitting, lifting, and poking.

I have seen it a few times last night. At least, that's what the animation looked like to me. If I see it again, I'll try and record it. It doesn't happen a lot but it does happen.