EA Forums - Banner

Bacon Country asks "Would you buy NHL 19 now?" Everyone says no.

Replies

• NHLDev
    1677 posts EA NHL Developer
    edited December 2018
    Sgt_Kelso wrote: »
    The only issue with beta was that checks from behind at a player skating full speed were too effective... that's the only issue. So they fixed it by making ALL hits from behind ineffective. Shooting a midge with a cannon. Yes, I am using a hyperbole again.
    Just a comment regarding making all hits from behind ineffective as it is more isolated than that to low relative speeds. I do agree that the worst cases were players on breakaways that didn't deserve to be caught up to but we also saw a lot of cases of players standing still behind a puck carrier that just got the puck about to skate that were getting shoved off the puck over and over as well. Some of those videos came from this forum.

Skating behind a player skating full speed isn't really a condition that has anything to do with physics unless you are looking at their ability to retain balance based on what they are personally doing and in that case, skating at full speed would have less control than being slow and in a glide.

As far as the actual collision goes though, the reason you can't get a good piece of a player skating at high away from you is that it is harder to be skating fast enough to generate a higher relative speed difference and you get zero leverage. So to improve this, the change we made was to low relative speed hits, specifically from behind.

If a player is slow moving, it should be easier for you to generate a hit that has a higher relative speed but if you are close to them, it is your own strength vs their balance that allows you to try and push them off the puck as you aren't bringing any other momentum to the collision. You see strong players shove players all the time if they are strong enough relative to them -- it usually happens when they are pushing the player away from the puck though and separating them from it rather than towards it -- but most times at slow speeds, you see players angling out, disrupting the stick and puck with their own stick/body rather than knocking players over with body checks as they simply can't generate that power without a bigger force in the collision.
  • NHLDev wrote: »
    The only issue with beta was that checks from behind at a player skating full speed were too effective... that's the only issue. So they fixed it by making ALL hits from behind ineffective. Shooting a midge with a cannon. Yes, I am using a hyperbole again.
    Just a comment regarding making all hits from behind ineffective as it is more isolated than that to low relative speeds. I do agree that the worst cases were players on breakaways that didn't deserve to be caught up to but we also saw a lot of cases of players standing still behind a puck carrier that just got the puck about to skate that were getting shoved off the puck over and over as well. Some of those videos came from this forum.

Skating behind a player skating full speed isn't really a condition that has anything to do with physics unless you are looking at their ability to retain balance based on what they are personally doing and in that case, skating at full speed would have less control than being slow and in a glide.

As far as the actual collision goes though, the reason you can't get a good piece of a player skating at high away from you is that it is harder to be skating fast enough to generate a higher relative speed difference and you get zero leverage. So to improve this, the change we made was to low relative speed hits, specifically from behind.

If a player is slow moving, it should be easier for you to generate a hit that has a higher relative speed but if you are close to them, it is your own strength vs their balance that allows you to try and push them off the puck as you aren't bringing any other momentum to the collision. You see strong players shove players all the time if they are strong enough relative to them -- it usually happens when they are pushing the player away from the puck though and separating them from it rather than towards it -- but most times at slow speeds, you see players angling out, disrupting the stick and puck with their own stick/body rather than knocking players over with body checks as they simply can't generate that power without a bigger force in the collision.

But that's something that happens in real life all the time in every puck battle along the boards. Watch the first 15 seconds of this video and watch how Crosby keeps getting shoved off the puck as he starts to skate away. What y'all removed also removed all the realistic puck battles from 1.00.

• @NHLDEV, I always wondered why, and especially with all of the different opinions here and elsewhere, the sample size for feedback on issues is not increased. You have a way to do this via the actual game, as opposed to just polling via Twitter/Game Changers/LG/Streamers. Why not include polls in the actual game? At the least, why not include some announcement when the game first loads that there is a survey to take, as you guys did on Twitter? If you really cared what the community as a whole thinks, I am not sure why this has not happened yet.

Seems like every person I speak to who plays NHL 19 has similar unhappy thoughts as to what is going on with this game. However, I read things you post here suggesting that you are polling a certain demographic of players. This would lead one to believe you guys are catering to those players and not the community as a whole. I think this is part of the problem that you see here on this forum where there is post after post about questions on decisions with the game, mixed with frustration, which is understandable. You should be doing more to encourage and include those who are playing the game to provide feedback instead of passively posting Twitter messages and waiting on this forum.
  • NHLDev
    But that's something that happens in real life all the time in every puck battle along the boards. Watch the first 15 seconds of this video and watch how Crosby keeps getting shoved off the puck as he starts to skate away. What y'all removed also removed all the realistic puck battles from 1.00.

Get what you are getting at but I would actually say that video is a great example of why the change was asked for. Our stumbles weren't allowing players to regain control as seamlessly in the ones they shrug off. So although the player should react more organically at times, the net result is the player still retains control of the puck. If you go past the first examples where he was really stumbling, there are a lot where he is completely unaffected. I would like to see us get more stumbles where he can retain control of the puck -- that was the plan but they weren't working as intended so we tuned it so that it is more likely to go into incidental up to a higher threshold.

This is where we continue to tune to see if we can find a better balance but in general, we are much closer to the clip you posted than many would say in terms of the balance of keeping the puck and stumbles causing complete puck loss vs momentary puck loss and a quick regain.

But that was our counter at first to people showing us these clips. We had stumbles and players would regain control but there were a few that were over the top, and as we saw more examples, we toned it back a bit. Then match that with players playing better and better competition that all know how to protect the puck well and it feels like it was all from the tuning. Some is, some isn't.
  • NHLDev
    edited December 2018
    smugxb wrote: »
    @NHLDEV, I always wondered why, and especially with all of the different opinions here and elsewhere, the sample size for feedback on issues is not increased. You have a way to do this via the actual game, as opposed to just polling via Twitter/Game Changers/LG/Streamers. Why not include polls in the actual game? At the least, why not include some announcement when the game first loads that there is a survey to take, as you guys did on Twitter? If you really cared what the community as a whole thinks, I am not sure why this has not happened yet.

Seems like every person I speak to who plays NHL 19 has similar unhappy thoughts as to what is going on with this game. However, I read things you post here suggesting that you are polling a certain demographic of players. This would lead one to believe you guys are catering to those players and not the community as a whole. I think this is part of the problem that you see here on this forum where there is post after post about questions on decisions with the game, mixed with frustration, which is understandable. You should be doing more to encourage and include those who are playing the game to provide feedback instead of passively posting Twitter messages and waiting on this forum.

It is a good question. It is something we could look at. We do larger distribution surveys that get sent out to people that sign up with their e-mails. Those surveys get us a lot wider distribution of feedback across different player types than what we see on this forum or other core spots such as the LG forums, etc.

But we use all avenues to gauge feedback.

At the end of the day, we aren't tuning the game based on polling as we don't expect our players to know how to solve things but we do listen to all feedback and then work to figure out the best course of action on our side relative to what our goals are for the product and the different modes/game styles within it, etc.. As you can see from this forum, once we get into details, there are actually a lot of differing opinions even though many agree high level that they want change.

Great vid and I very much dislike that guy, but he’s one of the greats! I wish the “protect the puck button” actually worked properly to do all that. To bad none of that actually happens in this game lol.

Get what you are getting at but I would actually say that video is a great example of why the change was asked for. Our stumbles weren't allowing players to regain control as seamlessly in the ones they shrug off. So although the player should react more organically at times, the net result is the player still retains control of the puck. If you go past the first examples where he was really stumbling, there are a lot where he is completely unaffected. I would like to see us get more stumbles where he can retain control of the puck -- that was the plan but they weren't working as intended so we tuned it so that it is more likely to go into incidental up to a higher threshold.

This is where we continue to tune to see if we can find a better balance but in general, we are much closer to the clip you posted than many would say in terms of the balance of keeping the puck and stumbles causing complete puck loss vs momentary puck loss and a quick regain.

But that was our counter at first to people showing us these clips. We had stumbles and players would regain control but there were a few that were over the top, and as we saw more examples, we toned it back a bit. Then match that with players playing better and better competition that all know how to protect the puck well and it feels like it was all from the tuning. Some is, some isn't.
    NHLDev wrote: »

I get what you are saying, and I agree to an extent. But, it's important to keep in mind that that is Sidney Crosby doing that, and he's one of the best players in the NHL at protecting the puck in the corners. As it plays now, every player in the game can be Sidney Crosby protecting the puck in the corners. As it is, it's very hard to bump anyone off the puck in the corners.
    EpiCxOwNeD wrote: »

I one timed played an enforcer in 19 EASHL 3s who was sniping like he was Ovi. I don’t like how everyone can snipe. Go try out being a grinder and go to the cheese areas, it’s a little to easy for non-great offensive classes to snipe. Heck, I don’t think danglers have the best shooting accuracy but can still snipe a little too much.

I played quite a lot of EASHL 3s in 19, it’s not uncommon to see whole teams be danglers for the dekeing and snipe as if they were snipers.

Ya, it is interesting when you hear from the LG community that shooting isn't good enough across builds. Just different opinions, even from groups that would both claim to be core. For my personal taste I agree with you though and like to see more variance. I think it is decent now but we tuned NHL 16 attributes across classes even more extreme and we heard a lot about Grinders missing open nets, etc. back then. Not sure if you remember that or were a fan of that back then.

Shootings not good enough? Maybe I should play some EASHL 3’s as an enforcer without any offensive traits and I’ll show you how easy it is to snipe.

Now, I never played LG before but whenever I see EASHL teams with LG or wheat ever it is now, I’ve realized they are the biggest cheesers you can play. They’ll rag and tag in the corner what for a teammate to come behind the net and go for a wrap. These “top
    players” are the ones who will abuse any game mechanic they can. It’s sad to see that they way to be a top player in this series is not to always have the most skill, but how can we abuse the mechanics of the game. This doesn’t just apply for LG in EASHL, it’s for HUT too.

We tend not to play teams like this we play our rare full 6’s games. It’s not fun.

I get what you are saying, and I agree to an extent. But, it's important to keep in mind that that is Sidney Crosby doing that, and he's one of the best players in the NHL at protecting the puck in the corners. As it plays now, every player in the game can be Sidney Crosby protecting the puck in the corners. As it is, it's very hard to bump anyone off the puck in the corners.

The difference between Crosby and NHL 19 is that Crosby is some what taking a punishment from teams when he’s protecting the puck. In NHL 19, dman bounce off the player with the puck in the corner and nothing happens. The player with the puck will then shoot short side cheese. We simply have a hard time getting the game to register a hit. Crosby is working to protect the puck. A lot of players in 19 hold the puck to the side and we can’t give them the punishment Crosby gets when he goes in the corner.

When Crosby is getting hit, you can’t simply can’t always have two hands on the stick. This makes it harder to pass if you got one hand on the stick. In 19, when your “protecting the puck” you can completely ignore any taps or shoves your getting the corner and pass no problem. That’s one area I think the series needs work, corner battles. Look at how much of that video Crosby has one hand on the stick. Protecting puck like that is unbelievably hard. It’s just way too easy to do in 19 and getting away while being mugged is a little too easy.
  • Nuckles37 wrote: »
    That's the definition of an NHL 19 goal. Far too many games decided by something like that.

I love how the puck continues to go the net even after the dman kicks the puck and goes through his skate into the net.
  • EpiCxOwNeD wrote: »

The difference between Crosby and NHL 19 is that Crosby is some what taking a punishment from teams when he’s protecting the puck. In NHL 19, dman bounce off the player with the puck in the corner and nothing happens. The player with the puck will then shoot short side cheese. We simply have a hard time getting the game to register a hit. Crosby is working to protect the puck. A lot of players in 19 hold the puck to the side and we can’t give them the punishment Crosby gets when he goes in the corner.

When Crosby is getting hit, you can’t simply can’t always have two hands on the stick. This makes it harder to pass if you got one hand on the stick. In 19, when your “protecting the puck” you can completely ignore any taps or shoves your getting the corner and pass no problem. That’s one area I think the series needs work, corner battles. Look at how much of that video Crosby has one hand on the stick. Protecting puck like that is unbelievably hard. It’s just way too easy to do in 19 and getting away while being mugged is a little too easy.

In 1.00 (which I play offline) my puck scrums behave just like that clip. They are realistic, no one bounces off, and things get crazy in those corners. Nothing like the poodoo we have in 1.03.
  • The developers could argue every point til they turn blue but the bottom line is that this game does not sell and it hasn't for years now. They had a great chance to make up for it. The beta was fantastic and they fixed things that weren't even broken. Now they made almost every shot from the weakside of the goaltender an automatic goal. Really ? Whose brilliant logic was that ?

This is why this game tanks so hard. The devs and EA just have bad logic on what a nhl game should consist of. The other major issue is that NHL no longer has competition. If we had another company making a nhl game they would have to come up with much better ideas to make nhl 19 and beyond a much better game. So they think jus because they are the only gig in town they can do what they want instead of what fans want and still make money. Well guess what ? It doesn't work that and it hasn't been working that way since forever.

I'm not sure if it is the actual devs fault or the walking suits that roam the halls of EA that make these boneheaded decisions. Just think about. So lets forget about gameplay for a moment and just ask yourself this. " Gee, our game has been tanking so bad so many years now maybe we should try to make a better game. Maybe we should actually make decisions based on what fans want rather than keep on making bonehead decisions ? It is mind boggling at best over at EA and they haven't a clue at the moment on how to make a good NHL game.
  • MikeyAU630
    281 posts Member
    edited December 2018
    It is a good question. It is something we could look at. We do larger distribution surveys that get sent out to people that sign up with their e-mails. Those surveys get us a lot wider distribution of feedback across different player types than what we see on this forum or other core spots such as the LG forums, etc.

But we use all avenues to gauge feedback.

At the end of the day, we aren't tuning the game based on polling as we don't expect our players to know how to solve things but we do listen to all feedback and then work to figure out the best course of action on our side relative to what our goals are for the product and the different modes/game styles within it, etc.. As you can see from this forum, once we get into details, there are actually a lot of differing opinions even though many agree high level that they want change.

I got one of those email surveys today. I was excited that they were actually asking my opinion about the game. And then I saw the survey questions. It was all about meaningless cosmetic stuff. There were questions about how I felt about the word "chel". There were questions about NHL jersey and adias gear. There were questions about those silly Adias 6 jerseys. There were questions about the "clown gear" for EASHL. It asked me whether I spend money on HUT packs (no), and asked why I don't. There were exactly zero questions about gameplay. To say the content of the survey was "tone deaf" would be an understatement. Honestly, I felt disgusted by it.
  • NHLDev
    MikeyAU630 wrote: »
    I got one of those email surveys today. I was excited that they were actually asking my opinion about the game. And then I saw the survey questions. It was all about meaningless cosmetic stuff.
    If it didn’t ask you anything about gameplay, it wasn’t one of those surveys.
    I got one of those email surveys today. I was excited that they were actually asking my opinion about the game. And then I saw the survey questions. It was all about meaningless cosmetic stuff.

This was the email I got:

wuopvehxdvhh.png

Silly cosmetic stuff means very little to me. I want to be "heard by the NHL 19 team" regarding gameplay, not fluff.
  • wirginito
    3 posts Member
    edited December 2018

@ NHLDev

Completely agree with this - let the players be shoved off the puck over and over but let the attributes decide how each player reacts to that. Don't make it a general rule applied to all skaters, it should not be either your showing and it has bumping effect or it doesn't do anything a all.. It should have effect on players with low body weight or those players, whose attributes like strength or balance are lower than the player that is checking them. Would that be possible ?
  • MikeyAU630 wrote: »

This was the email I got:

wuopvehxdvhh.png

Silly cosmetic stuff means very little to me. I want to be "heard by the NHL 19 team" regarding gameplay, not fluff.

I don’t think they actually know what is going on over there. Looks legit to me @NHLDEV, keep up the great work 👍🏻. I got one too, we should all post it lmao
  • Lol, Bacon? This is the guy you take advice or listen too? His next video he'll be praising it. Good lord people, do you really need bacon to tell if this game is good? Lol
  • NHLDev
    edited December 2018
    I don’t think they actually know what is going on over there. Looks legit to me @NHLDEV, keep up the great work 👍🏻. I got one too, we should all post it lmao
    Not sure why some of you somehow think I am the enemy in all of this and want to spend your time trying to prove me wrong or prove why I or the team are unqualified for the role rather than seeing this is a direct communication channel to improve the game. To each their own though.

If you are willing to see things through a different lens:

I was saying that it isn't one of 'those' surveys I was referring to (since it didn't include a chance to comment on Gameplay), not that it wasn't an official survey. I also mentioned there are a lot of surveys that get sent out and that we listen to all channels.

The main survey I was referring to was an NPS survey that gets sent out in wide distribution and we get a lot of feedback about Gameplay and many other topics in there.

I assume the survey you just linked would have been sent from an internal team to get feedback in areas they haven't got feedback in so far. Since it doesn't include Gameplay, it pertains less to me so I wouldn't have been part in this case of approving or reviewing the questions. There was also one that was mentioned on this forum that was more open form that got sent out not too long ago so that people could voice their opinion on any topic and not be led by certain topics. It had questions such as 'What do you like about NHL 19?', 'What don't you like about NHL 19?' and a place to list your Top 5 Issues with the game (pain points or things that bug you the most about NHL 19).
    Post edited by NHLDev on
    Not sure why some of you somehow think I am the enemy in all of this and want to spend your time trying to prove me wrong or prove why I or the team are unqualified for the role rather than seeing this is a direct communication channel to improve the game. To each their own though.

If you are willing to see things through a different lens:

I was saying that it isn't one of 'those' surveys I was referring to (since it didn't include a chance to comment on Gameplay), not that it wasn't an official survey. I also mentioned there are a lot surveys that get sent out and that we listen to all channels.

The main survey I was referring to was an NPS survey that gets sent out in wide distribution and we get a lot of feedback about Gameplay and many other topics in there.

I assume the survey you just linked would have been sent from an internal team to get feedback in areas they haven't got feedback in so far. Since it doesn't include Gameplay, it pertains less to me so I wouldn't have been part in this case of approving or reviewing the questions. There was also one that was mentioned on this forum that was more open form that got sent out not too long ago so that people could voice their opinion on any topic and not be led by certain topics. It had questions such as 'What do you like about NHL 19?', 'What don't you like about NHL 19?' and a place to list your Top 5 Issues with the game (pain points or things that bug you the most about NHL 19).

Everyone is just frustrated at this point, including myself, were probably all saying dumb stuff. Some players have made it personal, which I don't agree with, but for what it's worth I do appreciate you responding.

I myself won't be buying 20, just for the mess that I feel 19 is. That's not at all personal, that's just my option as a consumer.