EA Forums - Banner

NHL 20 Content Update October 1st

Check out our latest content update, bug fixes & key areas on which we need your feedback here.

NHL 19 - Tuner and Patch Notes

Replies

• this has been talked about before.

For the longest time short side wasn't so easy but far side was easier and one timers were almost a sure thing. problem was the accuracy, one timers way too accurate. Also defense wasn't as good as it should be stopping passes through the slot when well defended. but rather than nerf/fix that or leave it they listened to all the whiners and they made goalies cheat for the far side shot or pass more which opened up short side shots. this year they really buffed their ability to cheat far side but somehow still come back and make physics defying short side saves after having already cheated to far side. That was "toned down" in a patch and here we are.

classic case of not doing the right thing and having unintended consequences. right now i can setup the perfect play, where no goalie in his right mind would do anything but hug short side post. then send a crisp pass to far post and goalie is there before the puck. yet do the same action and it's like he reads pass, and opens up short side and just says "go ahead, net is all yours".
  • If EA wants some feedback, I suggest in NHL 20 that they use separate tuners for each game mode. One for versus, HUT, EASHL and so on. I think EA are focusing their tuner updates for HUT which doesn't favor the Versus or EASHL guys.

• It boggles my mind when sales have been stale for years, you finally release a version that was actually praised by users and websites that reviewed the game only to go back to a version that has been proven to be stale for years.

The game did not go back to a 'version that has been proven to be stale for years"

That's just your opinion.

In my opinion, the game - specifically the skating engine and the changes to hitting - took a giant leap forward. Some superficial elements of the engine may seem stale - presentation on the top of that list - but the game itself has absolutely transformed from NHL 18.

If you truly feel that NHL 19 "went back to NHL 18", then in my opinion and with all due respect - you have a gross misunderstanding of the new elements that were added to NHL 19. You clearly do not understand the changes made. Again - this isn't to 'bait' you in to an argument. I'm really not wanting to be banned from here again so I'm trying to make it as clear as possible that I mean this as no disrespect whatsoever.

If you're playing NHL 19 and think it's exactly like NHL 18 - you're clearly skewed/biased in your perspective.

Fair assessment I guess.

See, the thing is, yes new skating and new hitting. Problem is, it plays just like 18, but with a bit more agility and a bit more control. We are more accountable on poke checks and now stick lifts are borderline useless.

The game truly was very different from 18 up until the 1.03 patch

Everything I hate about 18 is back in 19, except for the wonky pivots.

I am defending player bubbles

I am defender corner twirlers

I am defending short side glitchers

I am defending baiting AI D for back door one-timers

I am defending twirlers getting to the slot for high glove shots. Always top shelf on the glove, just like 14-18. Of the 5 corners to shoot at, everyone aims for that high glove when in the high slot. Don't find that curious at all??

etc...

The game did not take leaps and bounds from 18. That is only your opinion.

At the end of the day, you enjoy 19 and I don't. You see it as completely new and fresh. I don't. You don't see all the cheap cheese from 18 and prior, but I do. I will not convince you otherwise, and you will not convince me otherwise. It is what it is.

I think the thing is that I don't see it as 'cheese'.

If a player gets a step on me and scores from the slot against the grain.. yea sure we all see that goal often but in no way whatsoever is it a 'glitch' or 'cheese'.

Its; "I know he wants to go there, but he correctly faked a move the other way, I comitted.. he got 'there' and scored. My bad'.

But what the vocal minority says is; "I know he wants to there that cheeser, I'm gonna stop him but nope he decided to go that way ****--- ah crap now I over-committed and can't change my momentum to where I want to go! STUPID EA! AW HE SCORED FROM THAT SAME SLOT STUPID EA SUCH GARBAGE"

No accountability.

I will not completely disagree with you here. You do have a point, but to a point. There is a reason people go for these moves. They are predictable outcomes. Sure, they can be defended and whatnot. No argument there. But even when you do the right things and at the right times, goals will still happen despite playing better D.

There are players out there that are literally 2 trick ponies and there is a reason why. It works. You don't need high hockey IQ. Just need those cheese goals.

The thing is - in real hockey - you can do all the things right and the puck still goes in.

I think what makes people incredibly mad about this game is this whole Hockey IQ thing.

Ya'll think your hockey IQ's are through the roof - and when you get beat by someone who scores a goal that you see often - you just chalk it up to 'cheese'. And not to mention the sheer volume of posts from the typical users about "hockey iq".

It takes a low Hockey IQ to score the same goal over and over - agreed.

but it takes an even lower hockey IQ to allow the same goal over and over.

I feel like you’re confusing “Hockey IQ” with just being good at video games or “game IQ”. Hockey IQ to me is making a play to make a play, not “don’t let them shoot from the same spot every time because the goalie will always let it in and the shot will always hit the net.” This is why some people thrive in HUT and struggle in 6s. Not because they don’t know the slot is a high-risk area to defend but because they don’t read the play after the play. They aren’t ready to move the puck when they get it. They can’t see lanes that will open in the future, that’s where “hockey IQ” comes in.

I mean, giving up the slot is always a no-no and 4-year olds understand that. Are you bad at the game if you let that happen routinely? Absolutely. Is there some truth to how stale and unrealistic short-side goals look/feel in this game? Yes. So I agree with you that there needs to be accountability when it comes to being good at the game, but I wouldn’t attribute it to hockey knowledge by any means when realistically, you could probably score 15-30 combined goals in a game if you let those shots happen uncontested the whole game.

I’m a sim guy, I like randomness, why are short-side shots going in at a way higher rate than they should better for a game that self-proclaims to be “simulation”? To me, that’s not realistic and that’s not fun. That’s why I’ve only played 1v1 competitively for one game (15 new-gen top 100) in the last 11 iterations, the game is not realistically fun.

There is 0 “hockey IQ” required (not to say there’s isn’t any, but it’s not required) in the 1v1 setting. You can go undefeated by scoring only 1st shot goals without a screen or lateral movement. That’s not hockey to me, and I’d love to see passing plays that actually challenge a goalie to reset and move to be rewarded a heck of a lot more than gliding in and shooting from beyond the top of the circle short-side.

Just my two cents.
  • as far as i can tell, yes it is.

The goalie backs in too much, goes down in butterfly (when it should not do so) at the same time that it starts to cheat towards farside forehand shot. opening up short side top cheese. Shoot, snipe. been that way for years. Although usually by the time you let it go the shot is really going farside as you cross the slot. it's not 100% but mostly because sometimes the goalie makes great save even though it looks wide open, sometimes he doesn't.

I have played with some guys that are better at it than others. no joke, they can play with enforcers, skate over the blue line, cut towards the high slot and wrist it and score A LOT. not every time but they just seem so smooth at it and it's just like muscle memory, it looks the same every time and doesnt matter the player type they do it with.

this is just how i see it. could be much more to it than that.

That’s because it really is that easy once you “have it”. Anybody who played this game competitively 1v1 on the old-gen could hit this shot 9/10 times and the one being the odd missed net.

It’s hard to describe but yeah, we (hardcore players) all have the buttery-smooth release that always gets the goalie because we’ve been doing the same move for 10 years.

Guess I should apply for the next NHL coaching vacancy as I have incredible “hockey IQ” as evidenced by my video game scoring touch.

• It boggles my mind when sales have been stale for years, you finally release a version that was actually praised by users and websites that reviewed the game only to go back to a version that has been proven to be stale for years.

The game did not go back to a 'version that has been proven to be stale for years"

That's just your opinion.

In my opinion, the game - specifically the skating engine and the changes to hitting - took a giant leap forward. Some superficial elements of the engine may seem stale - presentation on the top of that list - but the game itself has absolutely transformed from NHL 18.

If you truly feel that NHL 19 "went back to NHL 18", then in my opinion and with all due respect - you have a gross misunderstanding of the new elements that were added to NHL 19. You clearly do not understand the changes made. Again - this isn't to 'bait' you in to an argument. I'm really not wanting to be banned from here again so I'm trying to make it as clear as possible that I mean this as no disrespect whatsoever.

If you're playing NHL 19 and think it's exactly like NHL 18 - you're clearly skewed/biased in your perspective.

Fair assessment I guess.

See, the thing is, yes new skating and new hitting. Problem is, it plays just like 18, but with a bit more agility and a bit more control. We are more accountable on poke checks and now stick lifts are borderline useless.

The game truly was very different from 18 up until the 1.03 patch

Everything I hate about 18 is back in 19, except for the wonky pivots.

I am defending player bubbles

I am defender corner twirlers

I am defending short side glitchers

I am defending baiting AI D for back door one-timers

I am defending twirlers getting to the slot for high glove shots. Always top shelf on the glove, just like 14-18. Of the 5 corners to shoot at, everyone aims for that high glove when in the high slot. Don't find that curious at all??

etc...

The game did not take leaps and bounds from 18. That is only your opinion.

At the end of the day, you enjoy 19 and I don't. You see it as completely new and fresh. I don't. You don't see all the cheap cheese from 18 and prior, but I do. I will not convince you otherwise, and you will not convince me otherwise. It is what it is.

I think the thing is that I don't see it as 'cheese'.

If a player gets a step on me and scores from the slot against the grain.. yea sure we all see that goal often but in no way whatsoever is it a 'glitch' or 'cheese'.

Its; "I know he wants to go there, but he correctly faked a move the other way, I comitted.. he got 'there' and scored. My bad'.

But what the vocal minority says is; "I know he wants to there that cheeser, I'm gonna stop him but nope he decided to go that way ****--- ah crap now I over-committed and can't change my momentum to where I want to go! STUPID EA! AW HE SCORED FROM THAT SAME SLOT STUPID EA SUCH GARBAGE"

No accountability.

I will not completely disagree with you here. You do have a point, but to a point. There is a reason people go for these moves. They are predictable outcomes. Sure, they can be defended and whatnot. No argument there. But even when you do the right things and at the right times, goals will still happen despite playing better D.

There are players out there that are literally 2 trick ponies and there is a reason why. It works. You don't need high hockey IQ. Just need those cheese goals.

The thing is - in real hockey - you can do all the things right and the puck still goes in.

I think what makes people incredibly mad about this game is this whole Hockey IQ thing.

Ya'll think your hockey IQ's are through the roof - and when you get beat by someone who scores a goal that you see often - you just chalk it up to 'cheese'. And not to mention the sheer volume of posts from the typical users about "hockey iq".

It takes a low Hockey IQ to score the same goal over and over - agreed.

but it takes an even lower hockey IQ to allow the same goal over and over.

If this truly is how you feel, then I really don't know what to say to you. It isn't logical to me, but you are entitled to feel that way.
  • OvenMitts91
    62 posts Member
    edited December 2018
    He’s completely missing the point, but yea. If you let a guy get into a prime scoring position on a regular basis, it’s on you. The fundamental issue is this.

Let’s say I’m left handed coming off the right wall into a prime scoring area.

Real hockey: I’m going to try to pick whatever corner the goalie gives me.

EA NHL: I have about a 5% chance of picking far side high, 5% chance of picking far side low, 2% chance of picking five hole, 10% chance of picking short side low, and a 75% chance of picking short side high. I’m going short side high every time. That isn’t hockey IQ, that isn’t a skill gap. That’s a broken game.
  • ExSnake01
    452 posts Member
    edited December 2018
    The amount of puck ragging I'm seeing now..... Anytime someone gets a goal on me, they take the puck back to the zone and force me send one or two guys behind the play. And everytime they get into zone, they toe drag and do circles to avoid hits. After my guy commits to the hit and misses or bounces off, it opens the play for opponent.

The only defense in this game is the trap. :/ This is what you guys turned 19 into?

EA, you guys nerfed the defense so badly with these tuners people are resorting to these cheap tactics. I've dealt with people puck ragging a few times previous years but this is happening every other game. It has plagued this game.

I'm starting to think 18 is better than the current game? How is this possible? I cannot believe how badly you guys ruined this game.
  • 18 is better because you can at least poke the raggers and the pacing of the game is better without 64773264732 penalties.
  • ExSnake01 wrote: »
    The amount of puck ragging I'm seeing now..... Anytime someone gets a goal on me, they take the puck back to the zone and force me send one or two guys behind the play. And everytime they get into zone, they toe drag and do circles to avoid hits. After my guy commits to the hit and misses or bounces off, it opens the play for opponent.

The only defense in this game is the trap. :/ This is what you guys turned 19 into?

EA, you guys nerfed the defense so badly with these tuners people are resorting to these cheap tactics. I've dealt with people puck ragging a few times previous years but this is happening every other game. It has plagued this game.

I'm starting to think 18 is better than the current game? How is this possible? I cannot believe how badly you guys ruined this game.

I faced the same thing last night that is what D1 has mostly turned into but hey that's the Skill Gap this game is garbage
  • TheMajjam wrote: »
    18 is better because you can at least poke the raggers and the pacing of the game is better without 64773264732 penalties.

18 was better because you could launch your AI at these Sbags
  • zingaa1
    394 posts Member
    edited December 2018
    TheMajjam wrote: »
    18 is better because you can at least poke the raggers and the pacing of the game is better without 64773264732 penalties.

18 was better because you could launch your AI at these Sbags

18 didn't have DRE's, search freeze, had a dropin lobby and the game ran much smoother, if players went back to 18, I would go back in a heartbeat.
  • jmwalsh8888
    731 posts Member
    edited December 2018
    nhl 18 did not have a drop in lobby. we haven't had lobbies since nhl 15 on previous gen consoles.

i personally can't go back to 18 because the gameplay is garbage compared to 19, even the watered down version we have right now is so much better. 18 was just a stinking pile of garbage.

No i would just rather spend my time doing something more enjoyable than feeling the need to go back and play a bad hockey game.
  • Well both games are awful at this point. Never really liked 18 but wow...I thought 18 had problems but 19 is setting a new bar.

19 had a great start but tuner after tuner, it looks like the same cake with different icing. The only thing I see 19 being better at this point is the skating but not by much since they brought back input delay.

Then they tell us they changed the game based on feedback from a special place which i cant find anywhere. Please make hockey again 2k.
  • zingaa1
    394 posts Member
    edited December 2018
    nhl 18 did not have a drop in lobby. we haven't had lobbies since nhl 15 on previous gen consoles.

i personally can't go back to 18 because the gameplay is garbage compared to 19, even the watered down version we have right now is so much better. 18 was just a stinking pile of garbage.

No i would just rather spend my time doing something more enjoyable than feeling the need to go back and play a bad hockey game.

drop in dressing room
  • zingaa1 wrote: »

drop in dressing room

but what is different from 18? other than 19 search freeze and dre's

drop in dressing room

drop in dressing room

drop in dressing room

Go and look...how can you ask this question if you have played the game?
  • i'm talking functionality wise... what could you do in 18 that you can't in 19. don't get me wrong i hate the new DR, i hate everything about the look and feel of 19. I haven't played 18 in a very long time. don't really remember anything i could do that i cant do now.

not going to load up the game and investigate when the original poster can simply answer the question and give details as to what he wants from 18 that he doesnt have now.
  • i'm talking functionality wise... what could you do in 18 that you can't in 19. don't get me wrong i hate the new DR, i hate everything about the look and feel of 19. I haven't played 18 in a very long time. don't really remember anything i could do that i cant do now.

not going to load up the game and investigate when the original poster can simply answer the question and give details as to what he wants from 18 that he doesnt have now.
    glide
  • I cant even play, always searching for opponents and then failed to find opponents