EA Forums - Banner

NHL 20 Content Update October 1st

Check out our latest content update, bug fixes & key areas on which we need your feedback here.

Who is EA really catering to?

sgiz1
534 posts Member
edited December 2018
EA is apparently trying to lower the age of it's customers, by creating a game where every game is a stressful grind it gives many gamers the impression they are pretty good at this game.

The days of the 20 to 30 year olds dominating this game are gone, this age groups is still the most dominate in terms of skill/wins, but they no longer dominate game in and game out, most games are a grind even for the skilled player.

EA has adopted the "all play" format in NHL, where everyone has a chance to win.

EA is betting on younger gamers coming into the market is a bigger base than the 30+ yr. old loyal NHL'ers. So they needed to make a game that didn't destroy the morale of the younger gamers, as in years past using NHL 12 for example, a younger kid matched up with an elite 20-30 yr. old ended up 14-1. The younger kid would not enjoy this game and they didn't in the past because of this, they couldn't compete, it was a game for older gamers.

That scenario is much different today, that kid popping in NHL he got from Christmas on game one can take an elite 20-30 yr old NHL'er deep into the 3rd period being a 1 goal game, they will lose most of them, but man they competed, i'll play again, I like this game.

My friends, we have fell victim to a business decision, this is why NHL no longer has the loyalty of the older gamers like in years past, the game no longer rewards the years experience, hockey IQ, and consistency that seasoned vets are capable of, games are kept artificially close by design and it's frustrating as hell to play.

We need to go back to NHL 09 thru 12, where hitting was fun, where skating was responsive, where shots/passes were more accurate, and where it was ok to win 20-1, not just every 10 th game like now, but 4 out of 5 games like it used to be.

Replies

• 11 was my favorite, aside from the sticks going through bodies.
  • Consider this for a moment:

- Matchmaking and our ability to slot teams/players by their skill is far better than it was then.
    - NHL Gamers have 10 more years of experience so the pool of competent players is wider
    - You are seeing less casual players in your more core modes as they have other options to play online now (and they may never matchup with you when they decide to jump in)

Due to that, it is usually a matchmaking problem, not a game problem, when you win 4-5 games in a row by blowout, especially this far in the year when teams and players are settled in to their respective CR ranges.
  • NHLDev wrote: »
    Consider this for a moment:

- Matchmaking and our ability to slot teams/players by their skill is far better than it was then.
    - NHL Gamers have 10 more years of experience so the pool of competent players is wider
    - You are seeing less casual players in your more core modes as they have other options to play online now (and they may never matchup with you when they decide to jump in)

Due to that, it is usually a matchmaking problem, not a game problem, when you win 4-5 games in a row by blowout, especially this far in the year when teams and players are settled in to their respective CR ranges.

The CR is the biggest joke ever in this game. im a 800cr and get put with a bunch of 300-400s while the whole opposing team is 700+. I put up 6 points and have to bail out the defense and still lose 8-7 cause the goalie just runs around and never gets kicked so i lose 15 CR but if i magically win i only get like 3 CR
  • Yeah CR is a joke... I love winning 5 in a row and having the games mysteriously not count only to finally lose one and lose 24 CR. Even if the other team is all 800+
  • sgiz1
    534 posts Member
    edited December 2018
    Not saying there is no matchmaking issues, but that's not the problem. Game in game out most games are a stressful grind, its not even mistakes that hurt you, most of the time it's actually good solid hockey play that backfires, such as bumping a skater off the puck just for it to magically end up on the stick of their teammate, lose puck on the boards that you get there first but somehow they end up with you and now you are out of position, there are quarks in the game that now make it extremely random, the game has been programmed to be more chaotic, less predictable and controllable. But when you take away control/predictability you take away a players ability to control the game and instead the game falls into this grey area of chaos, bounces, lucky/unlucky, umm moments, turnovers going right back to the same team, etc.

NHL 09 thru NHL 12 were the absolute most loyal and cult community, most competitive, best matchups in EASHL, etc. The player had control over the game, responsive controls, skating, vision control, passing, shooting, etc. everything reacted on a dime exactly when you wanted it to, we need this control back.

[Socair - edited swear filter]
    Post edited by Socair on

The CR is the biggest joke ever in this game. im a 800cr and get put with a bunch of 300-400s while the whole opposing team is 700+. I put up 6 points and have to bail out the defense and still lose 8-7 cause the goalie just runs around and never gets kicked so i lose 15 CR but if i magically win i only get like 3 CR

I miss when I was able to pick my side in EASHL Drop-ins. Met some cool people because of this.
  • EpiCxOwNeD wrote: »
    NHLDev wrote: »

I miss when I was able to pick my side in EASHL Drop-ins. Met some cool people because of this.

I miss the OTP lobbies where I never would have to experience being matchmaked with terrible players or all the newbies.

CR is not a true indicator of a players skill level. If you get stuck with trolls, bad players or players just goofing off and you lose the game or lets face it, quit because you dont want to suffer 30min of nonsense, your CR takes a huge hit. That in turn, according to EA matchmaking places you with similar CR opponents and teammates which puts you right back into the cesspool you are trying to avoid all together. Even the leaderboards are mishandled. There's no way a club team should be placed in the top 100, let alone the top 20 because of the amount of games they have played and not their actual win/loss record. Same goes with player stats. That should be based how the real NHL player stat leaderboards are. CR, how it currently stands was a huge mistake in my honest opinion. It causes more problems than needed. If a system was to be implemented, then it should only be for club where play is supposed to be competitive and serious and drop ins. We should be given the choice to decide through game mode if we want to play competitive (ranked) or casual. Drop ins can be both ranked and casual through choosing as sometimes your club teammates aren't online and you just feel like playing some hockey but dont want to be burdened with the punishment by other players or ranking systems. Possibly make a casual sub-mode of drop ins called pickup where players can just join the room and all the online players whom have joined throw their virtual sticks in the middle of the ice and 2 randomly chosen captains rotate picks of those sticks till teams are filled. The pickup sub-mode would be where we play on a pond whether its 6s or 3s and use these cosmetic outfits and gear. The real drop in mode that's ranked would be played in a real arena with real jerseys the captains can choose from.