EA Forums - Banner

Bacon Country asks "Would you buy NHL 19 now?" Everyone says no.

Replies

• A bunch of the people on this board apparently enjoy the game we tuned before anyone's feedback. How are we not seeing eye to eye if that was possible.

LOL. The community hated your version of the game that was NHL 18, and yet you have tuned the game to where the same exact issues are now present. There is no way you can say with a straight face all of these thing we have discussed on this particular thread (hitting bubble, ss glitch goals, etc). Not too sure if you play VS or not, but its mainly what I play. Its embarrasing the toxic community you all have created. Guys will skate the puck to the bottom of the circle over 80% of the time on attack and stop and start and stop and start and stop and start and stop and start....and stop and start...and stop and start....until you try and commit to a hit that doesnt work because youre at a "low relative speed" and shoot short side or a puck goes through your player, even though you had perfect positioning, for a back door tap in.

We went from simple complaints in 1.00 of poke checking (which I had ZERO issue with) and bumping people from behind (which I also had ZERO issue with - the issue was the puck defying the laws of physics) to a complete garbage stick lift mechanism (wood chopping), hitting being non existent, and goalies who couldnt stop a beach ball. Just admit you all have gone too far with the current tuner and reverse the changes or meet us somewhere in the middle. This has gone on for far too long.
  • gundamfreedomx
    88 posts Member
    edited December 2018
    A bunch of the people on this board apparently enjoy the game we tuned before anyone's feedback. How are we not seeing eye to eye if that was possible.

LOL. The community hated your version of the game that was NHL 18, and yet you have tuned the game to where the same exact issues are now present. There is no way you can say with a straight face all of these thing we have discussed on this particular thread (hitting bubble, ss glitch goals, etc). Not too sure if you play VS or not, but its mainly what I play. Its embarrasing the toxic community you all have created. Guys will skate the puck to the bottom of the circle over 80% of the time on attack and stop and start and stop and start and stop and start and stop and start....and stop and start...and stop and start....until you try and commit to a hit that doesnt work because youre at a "low relative speed" and shoot short side or a puck goes through your player, even though you had perfect positioning, for a back door tap in.

We went from simple complaints in 1.00 of poke checking (which I had ZERO issue with) and bumping people from behind (which I also had ZERO issue with - the issue was the puck defying the laws of physics) to a complete garbage stick lift mechanism (wood chopping), hitting being non existent, and goalies who couldnt stop a beach ball. Just admit you all have gone too far with the current tuner and reverse the changes or meet us somewhere in the middle. This has gone on for far too long.
    I had problems with the bumping from behind. That is the one change Ea fixed in my book, now all they need to do is increase the game speed.
  • I had problems with the bumping from behind. That is the one change Ea fixed in my book, now all they need to do is increase the game speed.

Again, bumping from behind wasnt an issue. The issue was that when you were bumped from behind, the puck either stopped in its tracks or went backwards.
  • the online experience is an absolute joke. 1/3 of games with GOOD connections are practically unplayable because one player has a DISTINCT advantage in response time from players. When you pass up out of your zone and your player comes to a full stop and takes AGES to move the puck again, and get real hes not moving the puck hes giving in away because he is swamped by 3 players from other team while your AI forgets completely about defense.

Add: Puck ragging, figure skating.

absolute trash game because of INCONSISTENCY. I feel shame having picked up nhl this year since holding off since 15. it will be my last copy until I see an online experience that isn't ABSOLUTE CANCER.
  • NHLDev wrote: »
    Moxrox84 wrote: »

This is what kills me about you guys...you address only posts about the tuner issues, and you leave the entire EASHL situation alone and ignore it. Yeah, take a look at the communication Epic has. You folks could learn something there.

I am the gameplay producer so I focus on core gameplay. Our online producer had topics where he was discussing mode issues and connection/matchmaking issues, etc.

A competive mod seems like it could fix your balancing issues pretty easily.

1 tuner for casual, drop in type games

1 tuner for competitve EASHL, HUT, VS

NHL dev team can focus on attracting more causal players to the series but seperating the non-competitive and competive communities. New players could then choose to stick with the casual gameplay or move onto competive leagues if they are looking for tougher competition

Mods like this have been around since the beginning of pvp games. Time to start thinking outside of the box, boys.

This game is dying a slow painful death

Moxrox84 wrote: »

This is what kills me about you guys...you address only posts about the tuner issues, and you leave the entire EASHL situation alone and ignore it. Yeah, take a look at the communication Epic has. You folks could learn something there.

I am the gameplay producer so I focus on core gameplay. Our online producer had topics where he was discussing mode issues and connection/matchmaking issues, etc.

A competive mod seems like it could fix your balancing issues pretty easily.

1 tuner for casual, drop in type games

1 tuner for competitve EASHL, HUT, VS

NHL dev team can focus on attracting more causal players to the series but seperating the non-competitive and competive communities. New players could then choose to stick with the casual gameplay or move onto competive leagues if they are looking for tougher competition

Mods like this have been around since the beginning of pvp games. Time to start thinking outside of the box, boys.

This game is dying a slow painful death

As someone who only plays HUT I wouldn't want to be stuck with this tuner as my "competitive" tuner. I'd rather they let us set a tuner for matchmaking
  • Yeah less so HUT and VS as I think about it

After reading through the posts it seems more to me a split between how the competitive leagues see the game and how 1s and casual gamers see it

I’m a 6s guy so I have no issues with cpu goalies and “glitch” shots as I’m playing 100% with human goalies and any of the other issues with ai. Offline isn’t a problem for me other than the few frustrating bounces because I have the option to adjust sliders to my liking

Online play doesn’t give us this option and with half the community seeing it differently from the other half it would only make sense to give us some customization in this aspect.
    Competive mods are used to great success in both team and 1v1 games across all different genres including big esports events

It’s assinine for the dev team to be wasting their time trying to appease 2 different crowds with 1 tuner when just giving us the ability to do it for ourselves would solve a lot of problems and a lot of their time. Time better spent fixing the connection problems and other game breaking aspects of their product.

I’ve seen devs admit they don’t play this game so why are they telling us how it should be tuned?

• The invisible force shields that prevents players from being hit, unless you gain enough momentum and skate straight into them , is the worst part about this game for me and it's been this way since '15.

All this does is promote puck-ragging and toxic, keep-away style " nah-nah-nah-nah-nah, you cant get the puck off me!" gameplay

Playing defense is difficult enough, in a hockey game where puck possession is automatic and seamless (mostly). I dont understand why I cant just shove a player off the puck , if hes just twirling in circles and nudging past everyone all over the ice. Nobody in the actual NHL can achieve this level of puck protection and its just so broken feeling and unrealistic.

Does it take skill? Sure , but it's not a realistic simulation of how an actual hockey game plays at all and (take note devs because this part is especially important) this is the divide that's occuring between players that want a realistic hockey experience, complete with realistic physics and loose-puck mechanics, and the game changers and veteran cheese heros who want puck ragging and bread-and-butter glitch snipes.

What's the easy solution? Stop caving in to the demands of the players with tuners, patches and updates every two weeks and make separate game modes. Call it like hardcore mode and game-changer mode... I'm sure you can figure out the rest. You're welcome.
  • Should not buy nhl or anyother EA games because they just lie to you :) and you cant even get the correct versions of the players in packs
  • Above1988 wrote: »
    The invisible force shields that prevents players from being hit, unless you gain enough momentum and skate straight into them , is the worst part about this game for me and it's been this way since '15.

All this does is promote puck-ragging and toxic, keep-away style " nah-nah-nah-nah-nah, you cant get the puck off me!" gameplay

Playing defense is difficult enough, in a hockey game where puck possession is automatic and seamless (mostly). I dont understand why I cant just shove a player off the puck , if hes just twirling in circles and nudging past everyone all over the ice. Nobody in the actual NHL can achieve this level of puck protection and its just so broken feeling and unrealistic.

Does it take skill? Sure , but it's not a realistic simulation of how an actual hockey game plays at all and (take note devs because this part is especially important) this is the divide that's occuring between players that want a realistic hockey experience, complete with realistic physics and loose-puck mechanics, and the game changers and veteran cheese heros who want puck ragging and bread-and-butter glitch snipes.

What's the easy solution? Stop caving in to the demands of the players with tuners, patches and updates every two weeks and make separate game modes. Call it like hardcore mode and game-changer mode... I'm sure you can figure out the rest. You're welcome.

Well said bravo
  • Yeah I skipped 19, saw no reason over 18 I got for $13 last spring.
    wirginito wrote: »
    @ NHLDev

Completely agree with this - let the players be shoved off the puck over and over but let the attributes decide how each player reacts to that. Don't make it a general rule applied to all skaters, it should not be either your showing and it has bumping effect or it doesn't do anything a all.. It should have effect on players with low body weight or those players, whose attributes like strength or balance are lower than the player that is checking them. Would that be possible ?
    That is exactly how it works.

At the lowest level, a hit can have no effect or just slight incidental contact, it can trigger a stumble with a quick recovery, a slightly bigger stumble or stumble fall to a knee, etc. and/or at the biggest, it can produce a full fall.

At low relative speeds, speed obviously isn't a factor so it comes down to the direct strength of the player throwing the hit against the puck carriers balance.

In all hitting, we take into account the preparedness of the players as well. A player hitting you incidentally through running into you has less force than a player trying to throw a hit/push you. On the receiving end, a player that is in a glide is far more prepared/balanced than a player that is skating and a player that is in the middle of passing/shooting/deking is the least prepared/balanced relative to the action they are trying to perform.

We also take into account where the center of mass is and that plays into the physics side as well in terms of how big the force/reaction needs to be to get you off balance. So pushing a player from their front backwards away from the puck towards their heels leaves them less ability to withstand the hit and recover their balance than if you push them from the back towards the puck. From the front, they will never keep control of the puck as you are pushing them away from it. This is the case until you get past the angles where you start to push them towards the puck. If you are pushing them towards the puck, you will need to produce a bigger reaction for them to get separated from the puck.

In all of this, it depends on the size and strength of the player and what the hitting and balance attributes of the players are as well. You will see small players get pushed over the puck all the time still by big players where as stronger players with more balance will be harder to do this to.

Skating and angles also plays a big role due to all of the above, so a small agile player can limit the relative speed and angle of the collison by being shifty and quick and that is what you see some of the best players in the NHL do. It is their strength and balance but it is also technique to limit what the possibilities are for the defensive player. If they can't get leverage, then they have no way to push you past the point where you would be off balance.

This is what I don't understand.

You have repeatedly stated that only low relative speed hits from behind got tuned. Ok then, why do I see the return of player bubbles from every angle? I would be completely fine with the tuning of hits from behind if every other angle worked as well as in the beta.

So how can 1 such minor change (according to you) make such a huge impact for body checks in general? The only really effective body checks are especially north-south and a good portion of hits from the side also connect. Anything on an angle was essentially killed with this tuner. I have seen 2 players going for a check on a puck carrier, along the boards, and yet that puck carrier squirmed his way out with the puck and didn't even stumble. All he got was hindered with a loss of speed... Like, really? This is not hockey.
  • I had problems with the bumping from behind. That is the one change Ea fixed in my book, now all they need to do is increase the game speed.

Again, bumping from behind wasnt an issue. The issue was that when you were bumped from behind, the puck either stopped in its tracks or went backwards.

Exactly. 1000000% agree.

They needed to fix puck logic in hits from behind, not kill physical contact.
  • ExSnake01
    466 posts Member
    edited December 2018
    BSDShoes wrote: »
    Yeah I skipped 19, saw no reason over 18 I got for $13 last spring.

To be honest, you are not missing much in 19. 18 is actually the better game believe it or not. Both games are rotten by the way but 18 is just a less rotten one.
  • wirginito
    3 posts Member
    edited December 2018
    NHLDev wrote: »
    wirginito wrote: »
    @ NHLDev

Completely agree with this - let the players be shoved off the puck over and over but let the attributes decide how each player reacts to that. Don't make it a general rule applied to all skaters, it should not be either your showing and it has bumping effect or it doesn't do anything a all.. It should have effect on players with low body weight or those players, whose attributes like strength or balance are lower than the player that is checking them. Would that be possible ?
    That is exactly how it works.

At the lowest level, a hit can have no effect or just slight incidental contact, it can trigger a stumble with a quick recovery, a slightly bigger stumble or stumble fall to a knee, etc. and/or at the biggest, it can produce a full fall.

At low relative speeds, speed obviously isn't a factor so it comes down to the direct strength of the player throwing the hit against the puck carriers balance.

In all hitting, we take into account the preparedness of the players as well. A player hitting you incidentally through running into you has less force than a player trying to throw a hit/push you. On the receiving end, a player that is in a glide is far more prepared/balanced than a player that is skating and a player that is in the middle of passing/shooting/deking is the least prepared/balanced relative to the action they are trying to perform.

We also take into account where the center of mass is and that plays into the physics side as well in terms of how big the force/reaction needs to be to get you off balance. So pushing a player from their front backwards away from the puck towards their heels leaves them less ability to withstand the hit and recover their balance than if you push them from the back towards the puck. From the front, they will never keep control of the puck as you are pushing them away from it. This is the case until you get past the angles where you start to push them towards the puck. If you are pushing them towards the puck, you will need to produce a bigger reaction for them to get separated from the puck.

In all of this, it depends on the size and strength of the player and what the hitting and balance attributes of the players are as well. You will see small players get pushed over the puck all the time still by big players where as stronger players with more balance will be harder to do this to.

Skating and angles also plays a big role due to all of the above, so a small agile player can limit the relative speed and angle of the collison by being shifty and quick and that is what you see some of the best players in the NHL do. It is their strength and balance but it is also technique to limit what the possibilities are for the defensive player. If they can't get leverage, then they have no way to push you past the point where you would be off balance.

All of this sounds just right in theory, however in reality I think some of this from tuning perspective went a bit too far and that brought back the "bubble" everybody is talking about... Personally I think that player with puck that has low speed (best players are able to control their relative speed very effectvely) should be forced to think about passing the puck instead of trying to withstand the hit.
    This is one of the main difference between now and how the game felt in Beta...the bubble was not there or not so powerfull which caused more passing and creativity instead of selfish puck hogging and thats what I believe most of the players want to get back.

Force people to pass the puck more and make it a bit less rewarding to protect/hog the puck than what it is now.

Thanks again for your feedback and time spent to chat with us!

That’s one thing I disliked about the bumps from behind. I’m fine with it disrupting my shot or pass. But it defying physics boggles the mind.
  • I'm not buying the game tell they fix the EASHL. The game is all about forwards scoring easy goals. Defense can't stop shots, hit or get the puck. Goalies can't save. Most games were high score games like 7 to 5 or even higher.
  • since they added dedicated servers, i cannot win a game. i was in div 1 now in div 4. recent record 0-17-1. i live in Australia and usually my connection comes up as poor. about a third of players back out. when i play the connection is fine about 98% of the time. now with dedicated servers its like playing with a bronze team in mud. i cant even play a defensive game against a div 4 player because my goalies reactions are too slow. i cant pass, i cant block and as for offense... i get into the blue zone less than a dozen times a game
  • ExSnake01 wrote: »
    jiajji wrote: »

How many times I've seen someone post a video on this forum claiming "hits just bounce off" and it was a garbage try.

Never?

https://www.reddit.com/r/EA_NHL/comments/a4ns8k/what_on_earth_did_they_do_to_hitting_this_guy/

I experience this frequently, very annoying.
  • Froommey
    800 posts Member
    edited January 2019
    The gameplay is good. Would give 9 from 10, but there are so many missing things beside the gameplay for this would give only 2 from 10. Its feels stealth and is since years more or lesser a copy and paste job. I speak for offline play only. I like to develop my Team and players from Youth till retirement like in real NHL and not to play with cards and fixed ratings. But everyone as he wants.