EA Forums - Banner

Breakaway Challenge help

canadianshield
120 posts Member
edited January 2019
I’m currently sitting at 435/440 star challenges completed. The last 5 are all breakaway challenges. 4 on pro, 1 on allstar.

My team has BU unlocked.

My top 6 lines are:

Line 1:
LW Xmas Forsberg (all syn unlocked)
C Xmas McDavid, (all syn unlocked)
RW TG Kane (all syn unlocked)
LD Leg Leetch (BM unlocked)
RD Leg Numinen (no syn unlocked)

Line 2:
LW Leg Modano (S, DZ unlocked)
C Joe Sakic (CS, BM unlocked)
RW Adam Oats (BM, PP unlocked)
LD Alum Paul Coffey (all syn unlocked)
RD Leg Macinnis ( BM, CS unlocked)

Everyone in my top 6 has capped skating. Sakic (86) & Oats(85) are the only forwards with endurance below 90.

I’ve tried every logical strategy setting. Everything from leave zone early with 3 high, to trying a trap counter attack system. I’ve deliberately iced the puck, taken penalties, all in the name of getting the opponent in deep. And yet the moment I win the d-zone faceoff, the ai D immediately falls back.

Nothing works. So I’m here asking if anyone has any tips to get these done? At this point I’m at a loss for ideas.

It seems that for these particular challenges/teams the opponent ai plays super passive and the D never pinch or force blueline plays.

s1jim3ajg59q.jpeg

Replies

• Being on the penalty kill and keeping your player near the blue line on defense should help.

But hell, even when you have a breakaway and the announcer says “he’s all alone!” the game still won’t give it to you.
  • Being on the penalty kill and keeping your player near the blue line on defense should help.

But hell, even when you have a breakaway and the announcer says “he’s all alone!” the game still won’t give it to you.

Yeah that’s beyond annoying. I’m guessing if you cut left or right at right before you shoot it negates the breakaway for whatever reason.

Yeah that’s beyond annoying. I’m guessing if you cut left or right at right before you shoot it negates the breakaway for whatever reason.

From my attempts at these tasks, it seems like unless you’re absolutely the first player across the blue line, it’s not a breakaway. Not sure how they count it.
  • i'll 2nd the PK.

try going down 2 to play a 5 on 3 and sit in the slot with your Center and poke the crossing pass into center ice. you may also see the point carry the puck into the slot where you can blow him up forcing the puck into center ice.
  • It can be annoying when you're opponent plays the lowest strategy on D.
    The deal is to have the Blue line breakout first to have a winger ready to leave the zone early, then give the AI the puck as you can't do a breakaway if you have possession. Let them get in your zone and their D on your blue line. You then have a few choices, like wait near the blue line and poke check it.
    The other option is to wait high in the circle and wait for the puck to go the the D and apply a massive check to knock him down. Then a winger should be able to break out on your pass..

Also keep in mind that you need to skate between the 2 face off circles near the blue line... near the boards won't count. Also, your skate needs to be the first one to clear the blue line.

With that, I never miss, it just sucks that when it's a close call you don't know if it count or not before the end of the game.
  • j0rtsu67
    644 posts Member
    edited January 2019
    Being on the penalty kill and keeping your player near the blue line on defense should help.

From my attempts at these tasks, it seems like unless you’re absolutely the first player across the blue line, it’s not a breakaway. Not sure how they count it.
    I know it wouldn't actually help to get a breakaway, but they really should add breakaways to game stats.

Same goes to blocked shots. It would at least be easier to see if you have them (and how many) or not.

Now it is pure quessing until you see the results after the game.

I'm just wondering if they were included in game stats in previous versions?
  • Last year we had breakaways stats, what they should do is so easy I hope it's in the works for NHL 20.
    In the menu where you see your 3 objectives, you should be able to see your progress 0/3 1/3 etc. Or they add it to the stats and we can do the math ourselves like we do for shots, penalty minutes or goals.
  • You gotta either intercept a pass up high , or rag it behind your net, drop pass the puck so it stays behind your net , lures the AI down low, swap to a skater charge up the ice while your AI picks up the puck , and hope you can pass it to him ...
  • Thanks for all the feedback. I’ve been doing most of these suggestions already but still no luck. My hope when I originally posted this thread was to see if there was something I’m missing but so far nothing.

Another thing I’ve been trying that is abit more time consuming is getting the games to OT. 3 on 3 seems to offer the best chance at this. At least for the All-Star version vs Nashville.

I saved “block 3 shots” & “score on a breakway” for last because neither stat is tracked. I mean shot block is a major hockey stat & it’s not even listed.

My honest opinion is this really shouldn’t be as hard to do. And yet even with end game type cards it’s problematic. I’ve tried about 2 dozen times since I initially posted this & zero.

The ai for these challenges are just way too passive, especially the d men.

I don’t like to quit things especially this close to my end goal but this particular challenge just seems broken.
  • canadianshield
    120 posts Member
    edited January 2019
    Well perseverance pays off. Finally finished off those challenges.

Here’s how I did it. Get a 1-2 goal lead (preferably a 1 goal lead in case the 1st eng doesn’t register as a breakaway), take a penalty in the final minute of the 3rd (so they pull their goalie) win the d zone faceoff and voila.

Kind of sad they don’t give an achievement for completing all star challenges.

vujcygwbrfd1.jpeg
  • wow...that's sweet.

not in my wildest dreams will i collect every star. i'm stuck in the 40s in the Domination challenges.