EA Forums - Banner

NHL 20 Content Update October 25th

Check out our CHEL notes with our October Patch update here.

An Update on Gameplay Feedback + Action Plan

Replies

• jiajji wrote: »
    BlahQGhozT wrote: »

Here's an example of a bad hit attempt and recovery. I'm RD. Initially I was going to step up on their lw but the angle was wrong so I had to adjust. He manages to just barely get past and get a few steps on me.

1) My momentum from trying to correct my angle took me along with the lw, so I wouldn't expect my def to nudge or push off (and he doesn't).

2) Instead of panicking and chasing him down directly (poke checking all the way for ex.), I took a more angled chase towards the net taking away any sort of cut to the net he might do.

3) Letting him have the outside, I made sure my angle gave me a safe distance to complete my recovery and allow my teammates to backcheck correctly and get into position.

Sometimes you just have to work with what you have and adjust. I personally don't care for the tuner rollback. I have no fond memories of any tuner really. I play the same way regardless.

Except those of us who chose to buy the game after liking the beta mechanics deserve the game we bought. We bought a product that existed, it was dramatically altered, and we are the ones who are supposed to adjust?

The people who bought the game then complained about it being what was represented should adjust.

This argument is crazy to me. If you went to the store and bought a refrigerator and they delivered a freezer, would you be happy when they told you to just adjust? I think not.

You need to give up on this silly argument, it was the BETA, by definition it was an unfinished product released to the wild for the purpose gathering data and further tuning. That's what a beta is, if you didn't know it's not EA's problem.

Read the what's going on thread again and try to pay attention to what the dev says, its explicitly stated that they knew checking was overpowered and they expected to have to tune it down.

No. When you release a demo/beta for the game then see ads everywhere to pre-order, sorry your argument doesn't check out. If EA wanted the gameplay to be like 18, they should have reflected that in the beta.

Here's an example of a bad hit attempt and recovery. I'm RD. Initially I was going to step up on their lw but the angle was wrong so I had to adjust. He manages to just barely get past and get a few steps on me.

1) My momentum from trying to correct my angle took me along with the lw, so I wouldn't expect my def to nudge or push off (and he doesn't).

2) Instead of panicking and chasing him down directly (poke checking all the way for ex.), I took a more angled chase towards the net taking away any sort of cut to the net he might do.

3) Letting him have the outside, I made sure my angle gave me a safe distance to complete my recovery and allow my teammates to backcheck correctly and get into position.

Sometimes you just have to work with what you have and adjust. I personally don't care for the tuner rollback. I have no fond memories of any tuner really. I play the same way regardless.

Except those of us who chose to buy the game after liking the beta mechanics deserve the game we bought. We bought a product that existed, it was dramatically altered, and we are the ones who are supposed to adjust?

The people who bought the game then complained about it being what was represented should adjust.

This argument is crazy to me. If you went to the store and bought a refrigerator and they delivered a freezer, would you be happy when they told you to just adjust? I think not.

You need to give up on this silly argument, it was the BETA, by definition it was an unfinished product released to the wild for the purpose gathering data and further tuning. That's what a beta is, if you didn't know it's not EA's problem.

Read the what's going on thread again and try to pay attention to what the dev says, its explicitly stated that they knew checking was overpowered and they expected to have to tune it down.

Okay, then let’s say day 1. What’s the excuse then?

The only silly arguments are those in favor of the same ol puck raggin, hit shruggin, and glitch shootin. You already have that with 18. Just pop that in if that’s what you want. 19 was good because it was different, and resulted in more realistic flow and play overall. That’s why many of us bought it, including after playing on early access. Ain’t nothing silly about that.

Not to mention every position was fun to play. Now D and G are just downright boring and incredibly stale. After tuner 1.03, game felt like it was 5 years old. Boom, overnight, game became boring.
  • ExSnake01 wrote: »
    jiajji wrote: »

No. When you release a demo/beta for the game then see ads everywhere to pre-order, sorry your argument doesn't check out. If EA wanted the gameplay to be like 18, they should have reflected that in the beta.

And tuner 1.03 basically negated all the publicity they had prior to releasing the game. Anyone remember PK saying "This year, everyone will get hit".

Or how about the video showing Crosby starting and stopping behind the net? It was crisp and responsive. Now it isn't.

The argument that it is a beta and we should have seen this switch coming is just downright wrong. I bought this game because of the beta and how it played differently from the so stale hog-the-puck to glory days. This year was an all time low for EA because they new this was going to become the final tuning one way or the other and sooner than later.
  • Please do not add these two things to the game, it will make it worse:

Increase in incidental contact strength (bumps)
    Decrease in penalties from stick lifts

KEEP Checking and STICK LIFTS THE same please.

Hard no.
    Full stop.

In fact, it’s challenging to imagine where your coming from, what experience that is, for basing your opinions.
    Everyone I’ve spoken too, who has played any hockey..here and on mic’s in game, has been generally on the same page with their opinions of beta vs the present incarnation.

..and nobody’s expecting it to just go back to beta after this test period. We are, however, expecting the game to make a lot more sense.

Hitting, acceleration, stick work in general.
    All Comments pertain to 6v6 drop in unless otherwise stated..
  • SpillGal wrote: »
    The two videoes at hand here, showcases perfectly a lot of what is wrong with this game.
    Crosby is using fast pivots and excellent stickhandling, keeping his back to the defender, using the boards and even the goal to knock the puck around the defender. A lot of the times he's at full stop while doing this.
    For convinienve, here's that clip again:
    Not once is he gliding by the defender, with his back turned, maintaining speed.
    Or like in this clip, gliding from the redline to "catch the D flatfooted"
    TheMajjam wrote: »
    8VNkBX3.gif
    And why would you want to tune the game after a highlight reel of Crosby protecting the puck to begin with?

the main problem here is how dreadful the pond game and outdoor clothes are. I go for the hit less now, Just try to angle the guy off and try to block passing lanes.
  • the hitting as it is now is great... please don`t cause easier hits like nhl 19 beta as the hits in 19 beta are horrid... Please get rid of the short side shot glitch, its used in CS way to much GET RID OF IT PLEASE :(.

The game is basically perfect just need to keep it the way it is, but get rid of Short side shot glitch on the faceoff circle paint.

The puck needs to be more loose. It’s to sticky with the force field around the puck carrier.
    Bring back nudges.
    It may not be the most realistic...but it makes for a better hockey experience overall.
    ...and it’s waaaaaay better then the incredible hulk ballerina twirl hockey we have now.
  • I actually thought beta/1.0 was finally closer to realistic. Hockey’s a game where a lot of the physical play isn’t conveyed on tv..a lot of the speed is missed too(winter classics super fun camera angles excluded) and I think that’s where a lot of these people’s perceptions and opinions don’t make a lot of sense to those of us who have spent time on the ice. I keep telling myself it’s not their fault. That they don’t really have a good frame of reference.
  • WainGretSki
    3107 posts Member
    edited January 4
    the hitting as it is now is great... please don`t cause easier hits like nhl 19 beta as the hits in 19 beta are horrid... Please get rid of the short side shot glitch, its used in CS way to much GET RID OF IT PLEASE :(.

The game is basically perfect just need to keep it the way it is, but get rid of Short side shot glitch on the faceoff circle paint.

The puck needs to be more loose. It’s to sticky with the force field around the puck carrier.
    Bring back nudges.
    It may not be the most realistic...but it makes for a better hockey experience overall.
    ...and it’s waaaaaay better then the incredible hulk ballerina twirl hockey we have now.

You know, I thought "nudges" were added to make up for all the lacking animations and/or tools we have for defense. When it comes to checking, it is pretty one dimensional unless you add in the hip check, which isn't super practical or successful. We can't carry puck carriers to the boards. We can't chip at the puck carrier's stick. We can't do moving tie ups. No board friction so we can't rub out players along the boards. Even poke checking is severely lacking compared to its real-life counterpart. You see real life poke checks that are slightly behind a player. If there is an angle to the puck, the poke checker will not always poke in a straight line. They can lunge their sticks forward and outward and then hook towards the puck, which this game does not do.

So yes while nudges might have been a bit more effective than a certain logic dictates, I found it was fine if the intent was to make up for all the things we can't do, which I listed above. Also, it wasn't as op as players make it out to be. If you had any decent momentum, those nudges simply weren't as op as some of you make them out to be.

Funny thing is, watch any NHL game from any team you want. Puck carriers will pass or move the puck around, or chip the puck ahead when an opposing player is coming to them. It isn't for nothing that dump and chase is widely used. They don't curl their sticks and bully their way past an opposing player. Long story short, the tuners prior to 1.03 promoted this type of play and had to incorporate more players into the play to not turn over the puck.

EASHL is a team game and I want this emphasized in the tuners. For all the dangle fairies, they have Franchise, Be a Pro, HUT, VS, Ones, and arcade 3's. Even EASHL 3's can be a dangle fest. Why does it have to be in a 6v6 game?? Why can't 6v6 have a unique tuning to reflect the uniqueness of this mode? EASHL 6's is literally the most unique mode this game offers and is the only one to incorporate 12 players.
  • ExSnake01
    454 posts Member
    edited January 4
    It's just frustrating to see how so many issues were actually fixed when I played 19 back in September. And one day in October, most of the things from 18 came back to this game. Stuff like the slow, clunky movement. When I try to spin my guy a certain direction, he goes in the opposite. This causes a lot of offsides when I try making plays at the blue line. Losing the puck when I touch someones skates. It makes faceoffs really frustrating no matter if you win or lose. You literally have to use your skates to get the puck back. Now playing defense is even tougher than it was in 18 because you can't rely on pokechecks, stick lifts or hitting now. Players are now using board play to avoid hits or pin you into the boards. Even if you dont have the puck they never call a penalty on it. They fixed this a few years ago but it's back now.

What's even more frustrating is that in the first post of this thread, they do not mention anything about speed or acceleration... So we just might be stuck with this snails pace of hockey in the beta tuner. EA takes two or three steps forward but then they go back five. If this tuner hardly does anything, 19 is going to be my final year of EA hockey.
  • quit recycling your game and adding a new "year" to it and calling it new. What frostbite did with madden is what you guys need to do with NHL.. this game isnt visually appealing, your lack of detail is mind blowing, lack of commentary updates, player detail update, arena updates, crowd updates etc make it seem stale. Adding new commentators, nhl score updates mid game in franchise mode etc would be great for adding a more realistic factor to the game outside of actual game play. Make it feel like I have an actual nhl game on my tv is the goal is it not? Sick of being let down by EA sports for the last decade.
  • HandsomeCatf1sh
    1694 posts Member
    edited January 4
    the hitting as it is now is great... please don`t cause easier hits like nhl 19 beta as the hits in 19 beta are horrid... Please get rid of the short side shot glitch, its used in CS way to much GET RID OF IT PLEASE :(.

Bring back nudges.

You know, I thought "nudges" were added to make up for all the lacking animations and/or tools we have for defense. When it comes to checking, it is pretty one dimensional unless you add in the hip check, which isn't super practical or successful. We can't carry puck carriers to the boards. We can't chip at the puck carrier's stick. We can't do moving tie ups. No board friction so we can't rub out players along the boards. Even poke checking is severely lacking compared to its real-life counterpart. You see real life poke checks that are slightly behind a player. If there is an angle to the puck, the poke checker will not always poke in a straight line. They can lunge their sticks forward and outward and then hook towards the puck, which this game does not do.

So yes while nudges might have been a bit more effective than a certain logic dictates, I found it was fine if the intent was to make up for all the things we can't do, which I listed above. Also, it wasn't as op as players make it out to be. If you had any decent momentum, those nudges simply weren't as op as some of you make them out to be.

Funny thing is, watch any NHL game from any team you want. Puck carriers will pass or move the puck around, or chip the puck ahead when an opposing player is coming to them. It isn't for nothing that dump and chase is widely used. They don't curl their sticks and bully their way past an opposing player. Long story short, the tuners prior to 1.03 promoted this type of play and had to incorporate more players into the play to not turn over the puck.

EASHL is a team game and I want this emphasized in the tuners. For all the dangle fairies, they have Franchise, Be a Pro, HUT, VS, Ones, and arcade 3's. Even EASHL 3's can be a dangle fest. Why does it have to be in a 6v6 game?? Why can't 6v6 have a unique tuning to reflect the uniqueness of this mode? EASHL 6's is literally the most unique mode this game offers and is the only one to incorporate 12 players.

Exactly my point...and you nailed it home!!
    It puts a balance in place for all the tools the defense lacks in this video game represtation of the sport we love.
    The beta was so balanced and fun.
    Perfect? No.
    ...But it felt like a real battle between offense and defense for the first time since EASHL launched back in 2008.
  • jiajji
    329 posts Member

I cant wait for the same people to abuse the same people in the same way once the beta drops. It'll be interesting to hear what excuses people come up with.
  • the hitting as it is now is great... please don`t cause easier hits like nhl 19 beta as the hits in 19 beta are horrid... Please get rid of the short side shot glitch, its used in CS way to much GET RID OF IT PLEASE :(.

Bring back nudges.

Exactly my point...and you nailed it home!!
    It puts a balance in place for all the tools the defense lacks in this video game represtation of the sport we love.
    The beta was so balanced and fun.
    Perfect? No.
    ...But it felt like a real battle between offense and defense for the first time since EASHL launched back in 2008.

Agreed.

The saddest part for me is when people were crying nudges were op, or that is was too hard to keep the puck, not a single EA employee used the words "skill gap". They never mention that not every puck carrier will be a McDavid or a Crosby. IMO, you want to dangle around everywhere in 6v6, then you better be one hell of a player, just like top players in the NHL. This game gets tuned every year as if every NHL team has 17 Crosby's and a 14 year old goalie in their lineup.

Funny thing though, when you complain that stick lifts or pokes attract too many penalties, you get told "skill gap" and that "many players have success on D". Where was the speech 2 months ago that should resemble "skill gap" and that "many players are having success on attack" ???? Uh huh. Thought so.
  • Hey EA. Long time supporter of the NHL franchise. Like since the beginning. 1993 which makes that a 25 year on and off relationship. I’m disgusted with this pause-glitch that so many inconsiderate, selfish people are using. I’m busting my balls trying to get somewhere in HUT and have spent a few bucks trying to improve my team. I can live with the ridiculous odds of trying to get a great player in a pack, that’s my decision to take a gamble. But you cannot even provide a safe, fair play environment for us all to enjoy. I had to give up on the competitive season after seeing how much of a fraud these trolls have made it. Now it’s spilling over to the HUT division seasons? I’m trying very hard to reach Div 1, which is a chore for me as I’m not as elite as most of these young bucks haha. But I still try. I feel completely duped by all of this and would like a refund on my 4 purchases so far. How do I go about that??
    Please advise. This may be the wrong spot to post this but wasn’t sure where. Maybe I should just call EA or drive down to the Burnaby, BC office and ask there.

Thanks
    Andrew
    I cant wait for the same people to abuse the same people in the same way once the beta drops. It'll be interesting to hear what excuses people come up with.

Say whaaaaat?

Say whaaaaat?

Could be wrong but I think he meant..
    If the hockey players own the streamers and ‘gamers,’ like a rented mule...the tears will flow. ..thought I’ve smelled a little blood in the water in a few other posts lately.

Say whaaaaat?

If the hockey players own the streamers and ‘gamers,’ like a rented mule...the tears will flow. ..thought I’ve smelled a little blood in the water in a few other posts lately.

All the streamers play hut...and “pull packs” ....let them have the fairy skates.
    Just give us an fun honest 6s tuner! :)

Say whaaaaat?

All the streamers play hut...and “pull packs” ....let them have the fairy skates.

Agreed.

In any case, I don't see what pulling packs and EASHL have to do with each other.

Tune the VS modes to be a dangle fest if that's what they want and tune EASHL for team play. Don't see what's so hard about it. They'll still sell their precious HUT packs regardless.

Say whaaaaat?

Agreed.

In any case, I don't see what pulling packs and EASHL have to do with each other.

Tune the VS modes to be a dangle fest if that's what they want and tune EASHL for team play. Don't see what's so hard about it. They'll still sell their precious HUT packs regardless.

VS sees just as much, if not more of an effect of the current tuning than 6's does. At least in 6's you have multiple users who can contain and trap forwards carrying on with these tactics. It's bad enough that a user cant hit, just imagine how it feels with 4 other bots on the ice with zero clue what their doing and zero ability to anything. As I've stated many a times in this forum I mostly play VS unless my occasional club partners are on and I complain about all the same things that you all do in regards to 6's. Playing the BETA in VS for the first time was like a dream. Now, playing VS brings back all of the nightmares I've had for the last 5 years.

Say whaaaaat?

Couldn’t agree more!