EA Forums - Banner

Beta Tuner Rollback Update + Current Gameplay Feedback Survey

Replies

  • We adding this beta tuner today? :smiley:
  • VeNOM2099 wrote: »
    PadrinoIV wrote: »
    VeNOM2099 wrote: »
    Welp, gonna jump back on the saddle boys. I'm kinda rusty after an almost 2 month hiatus. Gonna be streaming some Drop-ins and ONES on my twitch channel tonight and get re-acquainted with this game... Tentative start time is gonna be 5PM Eastern.

    I want to be able to feel the changes when they hit, so I'll have to have some fresh experiences in game. I may have stopped enjoying the game, but I always wanna be fair to the dev team and give them honest feedback if I can.

    Welcome back.

    Might be short lived... LOL! No but seriously, I don't know what's going on, but I was losing my connection to my stream every so often. I don't think it's my connection because I never lost my internet, so it must have been twitch of the streaming software that's having issues. I'll try again later...

    But it's not off to a good start. It's all coming back to me now; why I uninstalled this game like so many others I know.

    Ben said the game was tweaked with "elites" complaints about randomness in mind? This game is 100% random... Nothing makes sense. Pucks magically go through you while standing there. Forwards out of position reach 5 feet ahead of them to coral loose pucks, however. Goalies just stand around with a loose puck at their feet or they go down in butterfly when they want to come out and play the puck.

    *Sigh*... I'm gonna plug through it though. I wanna be prepared for when the rollback hits.

    Good thinking. But you are right lol
  • We adding this beta tuner today? :smiley:

    YEAH ! LET'S DO THIS ! 🎉
  • VeNOM2099 wrote: »
    This game is 100% random...

    I disagree.

    It's unfathomable to me how someone can lay claim that 100% of this game is random. The people who occupy the top 100 in OVP or HUT or EASHL - you're telling me that success is the result of people who have been randomly picked to be the top 100?

    Because that's precisely what you're saying when you say 100% of the game is random.

    And that is 100% untrue.
  • VeNOM2099 wrote: »
    This game is 100% random...

    I disagree.

    It's unfathomable to me how someone can lay claim that 100% of this game is random. The people who occupy the top 100 in OVP or HUT or EASHL - you're telling me that success is the result of people who have been randomly picked to be the top 100?

    Because that's precisely what you're saying when you say 100% of the game is random.

    And that is 100% untrue.

    I'm sure he was exagerating a bit by stating 100%... but I'm in div 1 in EASHL Club right now, and part of the success is to brace for randomness and be as tight as possible no?
  • PadrinoIV wrote: »
    VeNOM2099 wrote: »
    This game is 100% random...

    I disagree.

    It's unfathomable to me how someone can lay claim that 100% of this game is random. The people who occupy the top 100 in OVP or HUT or EASHL - you're telling me that success is the result of people who have been randomly picked to be the top 100?

    Because that's precisely what you're saying when you say 100% of the game is random.

    And that is 100% untrue.

    I'm sure he was exagerating a bit by stating 100%... but I'm in div 1 in EASHL Club right now, and part of the success is to brace for randomness and be as tight as possible no?

    There's nothing wrong with bracing for randomness. And yes, you have to be tight to be competitive and preparing for scenarios that appear out of nowhere is part of the skill required.

    There's something wrong with saying 100% of the game is random.

    If he's exaggerating, maybe that should be explicitly stated in order to minimize confusion?
  • In this context if 100% isn’t immediately understood as hyperbole..that’s something to think about on its own.

    That said. Penalties are too much..poke and hope. I know the usual responses and personally my penalty rate is decent most games but the fact remains that in an average 6v6 drop in there is a strong chance of having the penalty min around 30, sometimes eve the 50’s. That’s kinda 🤯🤭😴
    All Comments pertain to 6v6 drop in unless otherwise stated..
  • In this context if 100% isn’t immediately understood as hyperbole..that’s something to think about on its own.

    That said. Penalties are too much..poke and hope. I know the usual responses and personally my penalty rate is decent most games but the fact remains that in an average 6v6 drop in there is a strong chance of having the penalty min around 30, sometimes eve the 50’s. That’s kinda 🤯🤭😴

    I don't play any EASHL so forgive me if this is a stupid question. But are those penalty minute numbers just from stick infractions or do you get into fights also? And also is that 30 per team or total?
  • In this context if 100% isn’t immediately understood as hyperbole..that’s something to think about on its own.

    I get that but how does hyperbole help us move towards a game state that is acceptable by the majority of the community?

    It doesn't. It just clouds the feedback with nonsensical values given to things that happen in the game that 'annoy' people. How is a development team supposed to address a claim that "100%" of the game is random?

    It's better to say, "When X happens in X scenario, it feels completely random." And then NHL_Dev could chime in and explain why it's NOT random and/or what is taken in to consideration when the calculation is being made for the scenario in question.
  • PadrinoIV wrote: »
    VeNOM2099 wrote: »
    This game is 100% random...

    I disagree.

    It's unfathomable to me how someone can lay claim that 100% of this game is random. The people who occupy the top 100 in OVP or HUT or EASHL - you're telling me that success is the result of people who have been randomly picked to be the top 100?

    Because that's precisely what you're saying when you say 100% of the game is random.

    And that is 100% untrue.

    I'm sure he was exagerating a bit by stating 100%... but I'm in div 1 in EASHL Club right now, and part of the success is to brace for randomness and be as tight as possible no?

    To paraphrase Horton the Elephant: "I meant what I said and I said what I meant..."

    Randomness isn't something that's really quantifiable. It either is or isn't. People that try to quantify something like that are just trying to make themselves feel better. Like saying "It hurts a bit" or "I'm a little bit sleepy".

    If you have to brace for randomness, it's because the game is random. Some people are comfortable with that, and some of us aren't. When I'm standing 2 inches from a loose puck and my d-man doesn't reach for it, but a forward streaking in can reach 3 feet to coral it and fire it off towards the net instantly, what's the reason? When the goalie is standing in position, and a weak shot is fired towards him and he just allows it to go through his legs. What's the reason? When a player is spamming poke check while moving away from the puck holder and doesn't get called, but you poke once from the front and barely nick his skate and he falls like he got shot, what's the reason? When you get plastered on the boards after passing the puck away and don't get a power play, but you simply nudge a player who's about to receive a puck in the slot and get called for interference, what's the reason? When I hit the RS to quickly move to the side and attempt a desperation save, but instead I get a butterfly save, what's the reason?

    Imagine playing Tomb Raider or Assassin's Creed and anytime you can hit the jump button, there's a chance your on screen avatar pulls his weapon out and shoots. Wouldn't make sense. You wouldn't be enjoying yourself if you kept losing or winning your missions based on something so arbitrary and contrived as that.
  • VeNOM2099 wrote: »
    PadrinoIV wrote: »
    VeNOM2099 wrote: »
    This game is 100% random...

    I disagree.

    It's unfathomable to me how someone can lay claim that 100% of this game is random. The people who occupy the top 100 in OVP or HUT or EASHL - you're telling me that success is the result of people who have been randomly picked to be the top 100?

    Because that's precisely what you're saying when you say 100% of the game is random.

    And that is 100% untrue.

    I'm sure he was exagerating a bit by stating 100%... but I'm in div 1 in EASHL Club right now, and part of the success is to brace for randomness and be as tight as possible no?

    To paraphrase Horton the Elephant: "I meant what I said and I said what I meant..."

    Randomness isn't something that's really quantifiable. It either is or isn't. People that try to quantify something like that are just trying to make themselves feel better. Like saying "It hurts a bit" or "I'm a little bit sleepy".

    If you have to brace for randomness, it's because the game is random. Some people are comfortable with that, and some of us aren't. When I'm standing 2 inches from a loose puck and my d-man doesn't reach for it, but a forward streaking in can reach 3 feet to coral it and fire it off towards the net instantly, what's the reason? When the goalie is standing in position, and a weak shot is fired towards him and he just allows it to go through his legs. What's the reason? When a player is spamming poke check while moving away from the puck holder and doesn't get called, but you poke once from the front and barely nick his skate and he falls like he got shot, what's the reason? When you get plastered on the boards after passing the puck away and don't get a power play, but you simply nudge a player who's about to receive a puck in the slot and get called for interference, what's the reason? When I hit the RS to quickly move to the side and attempt a desperation save, but instead I get a butterfly save, what's the reason?

    Imagine playing Tomb Raider or Assassin's Creed and anytime you can hit the jump button, there's a chance your on screen avatar pulls his weapon out and shoots. Wouldn't make sense. You wouldn't be enjoying yourself if you kept losing or winning your missions based on something so arbitrary and contrived as that.

    Oh I sure brace... cause I know the randomness is lurking in the dark... 😂
  • VeNOM2099 wrote: »
    PadrinoIV wrote: »
    VeNOM2099 wrote: »
    This game is 100% random...

    I disagree.

    It's unfathomable to me how someone can lay claim that 100% of this game is random. The people who occupy the top 100 in OVP or HUT or EASHL - you're telling me that success is the result of people who have been randomly picked to be the top 100?

    Because that's precisely what you're saying when you say 100% of the game is random.

    And that is 100% untrue.

    I'm sure he was exagerating a bit by stating 100%... but I'm in div 1 in EASHL Club right now, and part of the success is to brace for randomness and be as tight as possible no?

    To paraphrase Horton the Elephant: "I meant what I said and I said what I meant..."

    Randomness isn't something that's really quantifiable. It either is or isn't. People that try to quantify something like that are just trying to make themselves feel better. Like saying "It hurts a bit" or "I'm a little bit sleepy".

    If you have to brace for randomness, it's because the game is random. Some people are comfortable with that, and some of us aren't. When I'm standing 2 inches from a loose puck and my d-man doesn't reach for it, but a forward streaking in can reach 3 feet to coral it and fire it off towards the net instantly, what's the reason? When the goalie is standing in position, and a weak shot is fired towards him and he just allows it to go through his legs. What's the reason? When a player is spamming poke check while moving away from the puck holder and doesn't get called, but you poke once from the front and barely nick his skate and he falls like he got shot, what's the reason? When you get plastered on the boards after passing the puck away and don't get a power play, but you simply nudge a player who's about to receive a puck in the slot and get called for interference, what's the reason? When I hit the RS to quickly move to the side and attempt a desperation save, but instead I get a butterfly save, what's the reason?

    Imagine playing Tomb Raider or Assassin's Creed and anytime you can hit the jump button, there's a chance your on screen avatar pulls his weapon out and shoots. Wouldn't make sense. You wouldn't be enjoying yourself if you kept losing or winning your missions based on something so arbitrary and contrived as that.

    It's a sport though right, so what you seem to be suggesting is take x angle at y speed and input xy and xx will occur.

    That's not good for the game, there needs to be some randomness and tbh I think the lack of genuine randomness is the problem with the goalies, I know that every time I properly execute a forehand/backhand I can sink it, if it doesn't go in it's not because the goalie made a great save but because my timing or approach was off. Who likes that?
  • ExSnake01 wrote: »
    LeFury_27 wrote: »

    I watched a few twitch streams on NHL 19 this year and it's unberable to watch. Watching them puck ragging, constantly going for short side and saying "oh there we go boys TOP CHEESE!" after they finally get it to go in short side. So painful to watch, that is not how hockey is played. I would think that EA would want the opposite of that but somehow these twitch streamers seem to have a big input on how this game gets tuned. All i'm hoping now is the 7 day beta roll back isn't the last good gameplay we will see this year.

    I really don't understand how when I'm playing this, it feels so disconnected with the actual sport of hockey. I basically have to forget about the games I've watch the night before and play a completely different style. The disconnect between EA's vision of hockey versus the real sport along with the community is astounding.

    I just want this tuner to come out already while I still have an ounce of interest in it so I can figure out whether or not I want to give EA another $65 next season.

    Leave it to EA to take the beautiful sport of hockey and make it play like a circus arcade game

    The ultimate irony of this comment is that the game felt and looked a LOT more like NHL hockey back in nhl 11 and ever since they tried to make it closer to a simulation is when it started looking and feeling horrid to play and watch.

    But hey...at least people arent floating on skates anymore.
  • VeNOM2099 wrote: »
    This game is 100% random...

    I disagree.

    It's unfathomable to me how someone can lay claim that 100% of this game is random. The people who occupy the top 100 in OVP or HUT or EASHL - you're telling me that success is the result of people who have been randomly picked to be the top 100?

    Because that's precisely what you're saying when you say 100% of the game is random.

    And that is 100% untrue.

    Im not genius but it was pretty obvious to me that he did not mean 100% literally. Its also pretty obvious to me that his comment was a way to say that there is way too much randomness for the game to be enjoyable competitively which is quite different than saying wins are always a 50/50 flip.
  • jiajji wrote: »
    VeNOM2099 wrote: »
    PadrinoIV wrote: »
    VeNOM2099 wrote: »
    This game is 100% random...

    I disagree.

    It's unfathomable to me how someone can lay claim that 100% of this game is random. The people who occupy the top 100 in OVP or HUT or EASHL - you're telling me that success is the result of people who have been randomly picked to be the top 100?

    Because that's precisely what you're saying when you say 100% of the game is random.

    And that is 100% untrue.

    I'm sure he was exagerating a bit by stating 100%... but I'm in div 1 in EASHL Club right now, and part of the success is to brace for randomness and be as tight as possible no?

    To paraphrase Horton the Elephant: "I meant what I said and I said what I meant..."

    Randomness isn't something that's really quantifiable. It either is or isn't. People that try to quantify something like that are just trying to make themselves feel better. Like saying "It hurts a bit" or "I'm a little bit sleepy".

    If you have to brace for randomness, it's because the game is random. Some people are comfortable with that, and some of us aren't. When I'm standing 2 inches from a loose puck and my d-man doesn't reach for it, but a forward streaking in can reach 3 feet to coral it and fire it off towards the net instantly, what's the reason? When the goalie is standing in position, and a weak shot is fired towards him and he just allows it to go through his legs. What's the reason? When a player is spamming poke check while moving away from the puck holder and doesn't get called, but you poke once from the front and barely nick his skate and he falls like he got shot, what's the reason? When you get plastered on the boards after passing the puck away and don't get a power play, but you simply nudge a player who's about to receive a puck in the slot and get called for interference, what's the reason? When I hit the RS to quickly move to the side and attempt a desperation save, but instead I get a butterfly save, what's the reason?

    Imagine playing Tomb Raider or Assassin's Creed and anytime you can hit the jump button, there's a chance your on screen avatar pulls his weapon out and shoots. Wouldn't make sense. You wouldn't be enjoying yourself if you kept losing or winning your missions based on something so arbitrary and contrived as that.

    It's a sport though right, so what you seem to be suggesting is take x angle at y speed and input xy and xx will occur.

    That's not good for the game, there needs to be some randomness and tbh I think the lack of genuine randomness is the problem with the goalies, I know that every time I properly execute a forehand/backhand I can sink it, if it doesn't go in it's not because the goalie made a great save but because my timing or approach was off. Who likes that?

    I think that in any sports, some randomness is good in certain areas. For instance, a weird bounce off the board. A deflection system that is not 100% consistent. Accuracy fluctuating. Shot speed fluctuation.

    But I also agree that this game has too much randomness. Most of this originates from the spiderman goalie improvements they made. Goalies being too good mean less chances to score on regular shots and more chances to score on random trash. So 2 options remain...either fish for the glitch goal or hope to be lucky. Its always been a little bit like that except it was easier to score on more than one way. Now you learn the one glitch goal and you rinse and repeat all game while the opponent try to prevent it and you hope for lucky goals along the way.

    its pretty mediocre.
  • In this context if 100% isn’t immediately understood as hyperbole..that’s something to think about on its own.

    That said. Penalties are too much..poke and hope. I know the usual responses and personally my penalty rate is decent most games but the fact remains that in an average 6v6 drop in there is a strong chance of having the penalty min around 30, sometimes eve the 50’s. That’s kinda 🤯🤭😴

    I don't play any EASHL so forgive me if this is a stupid question. But are those penalty minute numbers just from stick infractions or do you get into fights also? And also is that 30 per team or total?

    Sure. No fight totals i there. It’s all normal calls but the majority of them(off the cuff..grain of salt and all that) are stick related. A few charges/interference of course will be mixed in because I’m not being scientific and wasnt trying to aggregate data. It’s more just looking at the end of every game out of habit and being a little stunned.
    All Comments pertain to 6v6 drop in unless otherwise stated..
  • Sinbin
    1331 posts Member
    ExSnake01 wrote: »
    LeFury_27 wrote: »

    I watched a few twitch streams on NHL 19 this year and it's unberable to watch. Watching them puck ragging, constantly going for short side and saying "oh there we go boys TOP CHEESE!" after they finally get it to go in short side. So painful to watch, that is not how hockey is played. I would think that EA would want the opposite of that but somehow these twitch streamers seem to have a big input on how this game gets tuned. All i'm hoping now is the 7 day beta roll back isn't the last good gameplay we will see this year.

    I really don't understand how when I'm playing this, it feels so disconnected with the actual sport of hockey. I basically have to forget about the games I've watch the night before and play a completely different style. The disconnect between EA's vision of hockey versus the real sport along with the community is astounding.

    I just want this tuner to come out already while I still have an ounce of interest in it so I can figure out whether or not I want to give EA another $65 next season.

    Leave it to EA to take the beautiful sport of hockey and make it play like a circus arcade game

    It's EA's intent to make the game play like real hockey. It's the people that play it that have the "win at all costs mentality" and find the exploits. That's on the people that play the game, not EA.
  • Sinbin wrote: »
    ExSnake01 wrote: »
    LeFury_27 wrote: »

    I watched a few twitch streams on NHL 19 this year and it's unberable to watch. Watching them puck ragging, constantly going for short side and saying "oh there we go boys TOP CHEESE!" after they finally get it to go in short side. So painful to watch, that is not how hockey is played. I would think that EA would want the opposite of that but somehow these twitch streamers seem to have a big input on how this game gets tuned. All i'm hoping now is the 7 day beta roll back isn't the last good gameplay we will see this year.

    I really don't understand how when I'm playing this, it feels so disconnected with the actual sport of hockey. I basically have to forget about the games I've watch the night before and play a completely different style. The disconnect between EA's vision of hockey versus the real sport along with the community is astounding.

    I just want this tuner to come out already while I still have an ounce of interest in it so I can figure out whether or not I want to give EA another $65 next season.

    Leave it to EA to take the beautiful sport of hockey and make it play like a circus arcade game

    It's EA's intent to make the game play like real hockey. It's the people that play it that have the "win at all costs mentality" and find the exploits. That's on the people that play the game, not EA.

    and this whole beta roll back is occurring in part because the people who appreciate the ..i dunno..call it the integrity of the game, which we saw a glimmer of in the beta/early tuners and then was whinned away..so here we are. Also, when you replace hitting with hugging and have the stick work the way it is...its kinda on EA a bit. Fact is the things we're here speaking against work really well to the degree that if you've played the sport in some cases you have to do the opposite of what you've been taught since early childhood to be successful.

    As someone who learned everything they know about soccer and football through ea games, it would be nice to get a solid representation of the sport.
    All Comments pertain to 6v6 drop in unless otherwise stated..
  • Sinbin wrote: »
    ExSnake01 wrote: »
    LeFury_27 wrote: »

    I watched a few twitch streams on NHL 19 this year and it's unberable to watch. Watching them puck ragging, constantly going for short side and saying "oh there we go boys TOP CHEESE!" after they finally get it to go in short side. So painful to watch, that is not how hockey is played. I would think that EA would want the opposite of that but somehow these twitch streamers seem to have a big input on how this game gets tuned. All i'm hoping now is the 7 day beta roll back isn't the last good gameplay we will see this year.

    I really don't understand how when I'm playing this, it feels so disconnected with the actual sport of hockey. I basically have to forget about the games I've watch the night before and play a completely different style. The disconnect between EA's vision of hockey versus the real sport along with the community is astounding.

    I just want this tuner to come out already while I still have an ounce of interest in it so I can figure out whether or not I want to give EA another $65 next season.

    Leave it to EA to take the beautiful sport of hockey and make it play like a circus arcade game

    It's EA's intent to make the game play like real hockey. It's the people that play it that have the "win at all costs mentality" and find the exploits. That's on the people that play the game, not EA.

    The goal is to win though so...
  • Sinbin
    1331 posts Member
    PadrinoIV wrote: »
    Sinbin wrote: »
    ExSnake01 wrote: »
    LeFury_27 wrote: »

    I watched a few twitch streams on NHL 19 this year and it's unberable to watch. Watching them puck ragging, constantly going for short side and saying "oh there we go boys TOP CHEESE!" after they finally get it to go in short side. So painful to watch, that is not how hockey is played. I would think that EA would want the opposite of that but somehow these twitch streamers seem to have a big input on how this game gets tuned. All i'm hoping now is the 7 day beta roll back isn't the last good gameplay we will see this year.

    I really don't understand how when I'm playing this, it feels so disconnected with the actual sport of hockey. I basically have to forget about the games I've watch the night before and play a completely different style. The disconnect between EA's vision of hockey versus the real sport along with the community is astounding.

    I just want this tuner to come out already while I still have an ounce of interest in it so I can figure out whether or not I want to give EA another $65 next season.

    Leave it to EA to take the beautiful sport of hockey and make it play like a circus arcade game

    It's EA's intent to make the game play like real hockey. It's the people that play it that have the "win at all costs mentality" and find the exploits. That's on the people that play the game, not EA.

    The goal is to win though so...

    My point is that putting the blame on EA because people choose to play by exploiting the game doesn't mean EA made it play like a circus arcade game. If anything they want it to be more of a simulation, but most of the community seem to want it to be more forgiving and arcade like. EA wants it to play as close to real hockey as possible, but the players choose to ignore that and do whatever gets them the easiest wins. It happens in every game. The developers don't intend for players to cheat or exploit the game. The players make that choice.
Sign In or Register to comment.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.