EA Forums - Banner

BETA TUNER DETAILS + FEEDBACK THREAD

Replies

  • Well I really hope that with the new tuner coming after this one, a patch will come with it.

    Weak short side goals need to be addressed, it's still unacceptable.

    Still way better than 1.03 though, I think any tuner could be better without even trying.
  • LeFury_27 wrote: »
    Well I really hope that with the new tuner coming after this one, a patch will come with it.

    Weak short side goals need to be addressed, it's still unacceptable.

    Still way better than 1.03 though, I think any tuner could be better without even trying.

    If they fix the short side it means the cross crease and far side shot reign supreme. It's just how the game has always been and I can't see that changing. Having the short side be easy is the better of the 2 evils because a goalie slow across is much worse for much more.
  • ExSnake01
    466 posts Member
    edited January 2019
    When they posted the thread about the beta tuner, they listed the changes it will bring to the game. It was mainly AI goaltending, player/stick collisions. They didn't talk about the speed of skating which clearly has been slowed down and a handful of other things.

    The patches have changed this game a lot. We are probably getting a quarter of what the actual beta gameplay was like with this tuner rollback. https://www.reddit.com/r/EA_NHL/comments/aheau1/ea_is_playing_deceptive_politics_with_this_so/?sort=new

    I'm re-downloading this game now but I suspect it's going to be for nothing. Not going to fall for the amazing beta in NHL 20 when they will just change everything within 30 days.
  • I’ve logged countless hours of NHL since 09 so I’ve seen it all in the past 10 years. What I love most about the original Beta tuner is the unpredictable nature of the game. Hockey is a fast paced sport and in recent years and the updated tuners this year have made the game rote and monotonous because of the poke checking and over powered defence. The beta tuner is most exciting because defence is a challenge and you have to think whether to make the hit, poke check or stick lift. It’s not the same play over and over again. Just like real hockey, you have to think quick to make the right play. This leads to more of a high flying offensive game and rewards those with all around defensive skill. This defensive skill curve with the dynamic skating and better goalies makes for the best experience since the days of chel on the 360. The debate whether it’s better or not could go on and on but the fact is EA chose to release the game this year like this and those that love it shouldn’t have to suffer with reverting back to the awful NHL 18 version.
  • gbaby11 wrote: »
    I’ve logged countless hours of NHL since 09 so I’ve seen it all in the past 10 years. What I love most about the original Beta tuner is the unpredictable nature of the game. Hockey is a fast paced sport and in recent years and the updated tuners this year have made the game rote and monotonous because of the poke checking and over powered defence. The beta tuner is most exciting because defence is a challenge and you have to think whether to make the hit, poke check or stick lift. It’s not the same play over and over again. Just like real hockey, you have to think quick to make the right play. This leads to more of a high flying offensive game and rewards those with all around defensive skill. This defensive skill curve with the dynamic skating and better goalies makes for the best experience since the days of chel on the 360. The debate whether it’s better or not could go on and on but the fact is EA chose to release the game this year like this and those that love it shouldn’t have to suffer with reverting back to the awful NHL 18 version.

    Great post, agree fully.

    I would like to see EA bring the game right back to day 1 with the patches reverted to 1.0 along with the tuner.
  • LeFury_27 wrote: »
    gbaby11 wrote: »
    I’ve logged countless hours of NHL since 09 so I’ve seen it all in the past 10 years. What I love most about the original Beta tuner is the unpredictable nature of the game. Hockey is a fast paced sport and in recent years and the updated tuners this year have made the game rote and monotonous because of the poke checking and over powered defence. The beta tuner is most exciting because defence is a challenge and you have to think whether to make the hit, poke check or stick lift. It’s not the same play over and over again. Just like real hockey, you have to think quick to make the right play. This leads to more of a high flying offensive game and rewards those with all around defensive skill. This defensive skill curve with the dynamic skating and better goalies makes for the best experience since the days of chel on the 360. The debate whether it’s better or not could go on and on but the fact is EA chose to release the game this year like this and those that love it shouldn’t have to suffer with reverting back to the awful NHL 18 version.

    Great post, agree fully.

    I would like to see EA bring the game right back to day 1 with the patches reverted to 1.0 along with the tuner.

    That's the biggest problem with this game in general. They don't want talent to reign supreme. They want everyone to feel like a winner majority of the time. If you have played Rocket League there are huge skill gaps from bad to average and average to elite and even elite to Gods.

    NHL plays too slow so it allows for anyone to be good at defense if they aren't stupid and know what to cover with ease. When you speed up the game like 25% of what we currently have is you got a game where your reactions matter. Slow players on offense get punished by good defenders closing gaps fast. Good offense breaks down defense faster giving them less time to think and react.
  • Follisimo wrote: »
    LeFury_27 wrote: »
    gbaby11 wrote: »
    I’ve logged countless hours of NHL since 09 so I’ve seen it all in the past 10 years. What I love most about the original Beta tuner is the unpredictable nature of the game. Hockey is a fast paced sport and in recent years and the updated tuners this year have made the game rote and monotonous because of the poke checking and over powered defence. The beta tuner is most exciting because defence is a challenge and you have to think whether to make the hit, poke check or stick lift. It’s not the same play over and over again. Just like real hockey, you have to think quick to make the right play. This leads to more of a high flying offensive game and rewards those with all around defensive skill. This defensive skill curve with the dynamic skating and better goalies makes for the best experience since the days of chel on the 360. The debate whether it’s better or not could go on and on but the fact is EA chose to release the game this year like this and those that love it shouldn’t have to suffer with reverting back to the awful NHL 18 version.

    Great post, agree fully.

    I would like to see EA bring the game right back to day 1 with the patches reverted to 1.0 along with the tuner.

    That's the biggest problem with this game in general. They don't want talent to reign supreme. They want everyone to feel like a winner majority of the time. If you have played Rocket League there are huge skill gaps from bad to average and average to elite and even elite to Gods.

    NHL plays too slow so it allows for anyone to be good at defense if they aren't stupid and know what to cover with ease. When you speed up the game like 25% of what we currently have is you got a game where your reactions matter. Slow players on offense get punished by good defenders closing gaps fast. Good offense breaks down defense faster giving them less time to think and react.

    This is how I feel, you nailed it with this post.
  • TheMajjam wrote: »
    TheMajjam wrote: »
    Okay, now for the negatives.

    Stick breaks in competitive modes needs to go. I can maybe understand one stick break ever few games, but there's a lot even in one game.

    Running into the goalie goals are annoying.

    Penalties, stick breaks, and running goalie goals are my only changes for this tuner build.

    I disagree on breaking sticks. They need to stay. I have seen so many time previous to this where I would poke while they are winding up for a slap shot and they shoot it into my blade and the puck very unrealistically loose all momentum defying the fact that energy cannot be create or destroyed. Its practically like saying all the laws of physics and such and just made up.

    If it stays then it needs to be toned down. I'm all for realism, but in competitive modes I don't want forces I can't control costing me. Broken sticks, AI throwing pucks over the glass, injuries, puck pick ups that leave you open to getting demolished. The only randomness I think should be there are the puck physics. Just my opinion though! Save game changing randomness for single player play.

    If you want randomness with puck physics such as the ice surface changing over the course of a period such as ruts developing or deep dig marks and other randomness to the physics then I don't see how you can be opposed to any other element that adds realistic randomness. This line of thinking about I don't want randomness in competitive modes is part and parcel why we have reached this point. To many variables where removed that turned a decent experience into very much an arcadey one trick pony experience.

    You can't stop puck physics, the way the puck moves, and the way players have to react to it. You can most certainly turn off the breaking of sticks. Competitive modes are a different beast. I don't want broken sticks in LG and Club games. I understand people want a true to life mechanics, but randomness that makes people lose games is something no developer wants to deal with. This is why the multiplayer component of most games play nothing like their singleplayer counterparts. It's just not possible to keep players returning when you have too many random components in your game.
  • Follisimo wrote: »
    LeFury_27 wrote: »
    gbaby11 wrote: »
    I’ve logged countless hours of NHL since 09 so I’ve seen it all in the past 10 years. What I love most about the original Beta tuner is the unpredictable nature of the game. Hockey is a fast paced sport and in recent years and the updated tuners this year have made the game rote and monotonous because of the poke checking and over powered defence. The beta tuner is most exciting because defence is a challenge and you have to think whether to make the hit, poke check or stick lift. It’s not the same play over and over again. Just like real hockey, you have to think quick to make the right play. This leads to more of a high flying offensive game and rewards those with all around defensive skill. This defensive skill curve with the dynamic skating and better goalies makes for the best experience since the days of chel on the 360. The debate whether it’s better or not could go on and on but the fact is EA chose to release the game this year like this and those that love it shouldn’t have to suffer with reverting back to the awful NHL 18 version.

    Great post, agree fully.

    I would like to see EA bring the game right back to day 1 with the patches reverted to 1.0 along with the tuner.

    That's the biggest problem with this game in general. They don't want talent to reign supreme. They want everyone to feel like a winner majority of the time. If you have played Rocket League there are huge skill gaps from bad to average and average to elite and even elite to Gods.

    NHL plays too slow so it allows for anyone to be good at defense if they aren't stupid and know what to cover with ease. When you speed up the game like 25% of what we currently have is you got a game where your reactions matter. Slow players on offense get punished by good defenders closing gaps fast. Good offense breaks down defense faster giving them less time to think and react.

    Just so I'm understanding this right. Are you saying it's too slow as it is?
  • ExSnake01
    466 posts Member
    edited January 2019
    Follisimo wrote: »
    LeFury_27 wrote: »
    gbaby11 wrote: »
    I’ve logged countless hours of NHL since 09 so I’ve seen it all in the past 10 years. What I love most about the original Beta tuner is the unpredictable nature of the game. Hockey is a fast paced sport and in recent years and the updated tuners this year have made the game rote and monotonous because of the poke checking and over powered defence. The beta tuner is most exciting because defence is a challenge and you have to think whether to make the hit, poke check or stick lift. It’s not the same play over and over again. Just like real hockey, you have to think quick to make the right play. This leads to more of a high flying offensive game and rewards those with all around defensive skill. This defensive skill curve with the dynamic skating and better goalies makes for the best experience since the days of chel on the 360. The debate whether it’s better or not could go on and on but the fact is EA chose to release the game this year like this and those that love it shouldn’t have to suffer with reverting back to the awful NHL 18 version.

    Great post, agree fully.

    I would like to see EA bring the game right back to day 1 with the patches reverted to 1.0 along with the tuner.

    That's the biggest problem with this game in general. They don't want talent to reign supreme. They want everyone to feel like a winner majority of the time. If you have played Rocket League there are huge skill gaps from bad to average and average to elite and even elite to Gods.

    NHL plays too slow so it allows for anyone to be good at defense if they aren't stupid and know what to cover with ease. When you speed up the game like 25% of what we currently have is you got a game where your reactions matter. Slow players on offense get punished by good defenders closing gaps fast. Good offense breaks down defense faster giving them less time to think and react.

    People have brought this up multiple times before but it always goes over the guys at EA. They'll give you all this wishy-washy talk about how they brought in the skill-gap when they've made it easier for anyone to play this game. They slowed the game down and made it easy to score goals.

    Twitch streamers opening HUT packs and a handful of some silly competitive leagues are the only feedback EA listens to.

  • Game still plays like trash for the most part. Def not the "Beta" I thought we were getting.
  • Just an FYI - I’m like 99% sure that this may have reset the online pass assist percentage to 100.

    For those who adjust it - maybe double check it.
  • Socair
    2815 posts Game Changer
    edited January 2019
    Just an FYI - I’m like 99% sure that this may have reset the online pass assist percentage to 100.

    For those who adjust it - maybe double check it.
    Nope, mine stayed the same.
  • TTZ_Dipsy
    518 posts Member
    edited January 2019
    So far VS feels the exact same but I've noticed a bunch of people attempting stick lifts (and failing miserably). I didn't attempt many poke checks because I knew they'd be bad; just skating into the puck was much more effective.

    I found it easier to bump giants off the puck in ONES mode but I don't seem to have the insane stop and go capabilities I did before with my 5'7 169 sniper but classic turkeys play the exact same so easy wins are still too EZ.

    EASHL - hooooo boy the Christmas noobs are giving my team some scrumdiddlyumptious penalty shots in 3's mode. 6's goalies are so much better but I still feel somewhat sluggish out there, like my gear is dipped in lead but I also wasn't playing with best location in mind - Pretty sure the beta I was zoom zoom zooming across the ice... I'll still need to heavily test 6's and 3's since they are my main mode
  • ExSnake01
    466 posts Member
    edited January 2019
    I only play versus so this is my take on it after a few games. Puck control is definitely improved. I'm not losing it so easily to the slightest bumps from players or skates. Stick lifts can be used again. Poke checks are more effective but in a good way. They seem to be poking faster and more accurately compared to before. AI goalies are playing normal again. The velocity of the shots are higher now with one timers. They just seem to work better now which is refreshing.

    Surprised to see someone here say they don't see a difference. The difference is night and day to me. Overall it's a step in the right direction. If I had to summarize what this tuner did: It improved the defensive tools and the AI goalies are more realistic. I was about ready to uninstall the game since I was expecting to be disappointed. We will see how EA changes it after the feedback. Overall, the game is much better now.
  • langowski39
    71 posts Member
    edited January 2019
    TheMajjam wrote: »
    TheMajjam wrote: »
    TheMajjam wrote: »
    Okay, now for the negatives.

    Stick breaks in competitive modes needs to go. I can maybe understand one stick break ever few games, but there's a lot even in one game.

    Running into the goalie goals are annoying.

    Penalties, stick breaks, and running goalie goals are my only changes for this tuner build.

    I disagree on breaking sticks. They need to stay. I have seen so many time previous to this where I would poke while they are winding up for a slap shot and they shoot it into my blade and the puck very unrealistically loose all momentum defying the fact that energy cannot be create or destroyed. Its practically like saying all the laws of physics and such and just made up.

    If it stays then it needs to be toned down. I'm all for realism, but in competitive modes I don't want forces I can't control costing me. Broken sticks, AI throwing pucks over the glass, injuries, puck pick ups that leave you open to getting demolished. The only randomness I think should be there are the puck physics. Just my opinion though! Save game changing randomness for single player play.

    If you want randomness with puck physics such as the ice surface changing over the course of a period such as ruts developing or deep dig marks and other randomness to the physics then I don't see how you can be opposed to any other element that adds realistic randomness. This line of thinking about I don't want randomness in competitive modes is part and parcel why we have reached this point. To many variables where removed that turned a decent experience into very much an arcadey one trick pony experience.

    You can't stop puck physics, the way the puck moves, and the way players have to react to it. You can most certainly turn off the breaking of sticks. Competitive modes are a different beast. I don't want broken sticks in LG and Club games. I understand people want a true to life mechanics, but randomness that makes people lose games is something no developer wants to deal with. This is why the multiplayer component of most games play nothing like their singleplayer counterparts. It's just not possible to keep players returning when you have too many random components in your game.
    You can't stop physics either way but when you turn off broken sticks you very much break physics. Because if you don't want that level of randomness then clearly there shouldn't be no physics based changes to the ice surface like we do now because you know it wouldn't be fair for the sake of competition. I played Americas Army 2.0 professionally back when pro gaming was in its infancy. We didn't have developers disabling weapon jamming simply because it was random we adapted and dealt with it because we where competitors.
    If you see Grammar or Spelling errors. I am starting to experience the long term effects of ten plus concussions.
  • zingaa1
    406 posts Member
    edited January 2019
    My opinion after playing 15 games, Defense (TWD)..

    Please just leave it alone, much smoother and faster, once you start tweeking it, the game just goes to pot. This year has already been a disaster, but this is by far imo, the best it's been.
    I'm very careful with my pokes and am a very low penalty taker so as far as that, it didn't seem to change all that much. Turning and stopping seem much more "true".

    I was also of the impression that it would be a copy and paste of the beta, but then again I didn't read all that much into it, maybe the verbage said as much I don't know, but that was my impression.
    Also, am I the only one getting controller delay? Seems like others ingame are as well, player will pass but not move.
  • repetius
    30 posts Member
    edited January 2019
    Don't know what to think. After update HUT turned to unplayable mess, not because of tuner, but input lag. EASHL however turned to smooth and was real fun to play. We even faced last ECL champions and lost only by three goals, but what's more important we had FUN time playing.

    So i'd say keep this tuner AND fix your SERVERS
  • xRabidPenguin
    5 posts Member
    edited January 2019
    Game is unsurprisingly so much better now HOWEVER 3 things and only 3 things need to be addressed.

    Skating, there is still no or minimal difference in the speed and agility of a 5'9 dangler and a 6'7 enforcer. The enforcer should never, ever catch the dangler on a breakaway. That needs to be fixed.

    Puck pickups, the fix to these is very much needed again, losing control of my skater because it's being sucked in to the pickup is infuriating.

    Stamina system, the improved stamina system would be nice as well.

    Everything else is great, when you revert back to the bad tuner, don't take another 3 months to make the changes from the survey. In fact, keep this tuner and make the changes on top of this.
    Post edited by xRabidPenguin on
  • I have to small of a sample size to have a true opinion but it feels very different. Not sure how anyone can say its the same as a few days ago.

    Defense seems to be more on par with offense. Poke checking and dss seem to work better. Hitting is night and day, few instances of players bouncing off a bubble.

    Overall, I'd prefer to keep the game like this the rest of the year as opposed to the way it was before. Subject to change as I keep playing.
Sign In or Register to comment.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.