EA Forums - Banner

BETA TUNER DETAILS + FEEDBACK THREAD

Replies

• NHLDev wrote: »
    jiajji wrote: »
    Itd be cool to hear from a developer on the subject of game mode based variety in tuners, or if they've considered working with attributes for player builds in eashl.

It seems to me that the driving force behind this slow & sloppy gameplay are the 1v1 players with minority support from eashl players.

I certainly don't disagree that vs/hut players should have the experience they're looking for in the game but I'm also ignorant about how multiple tuners would work. Increasing the attribute threshold sounds like a lot of work at this point in the season, but I don't really know.

Overall, we tune the base game around the base roster attributes in versus/franchise.

We make gamestyle specific adjustments based on how arcade/sim we want the experience to be and the period time. The mechanics and how the base logic is designed is all ensuring we have the variables to try and replicate what we see from the real world sport and the we can tune each to be more or less forgiving based on game style.

For EASHL, we use the set game style of competitive as we want the game to be more simulation in that mode but still use 4 minute periods. That is why overall pieces are more forgiving than Full Sim or something tuned for longer periods.

Since competitive game style is tuned with all that in mind and for the full range of attributes in our base rosters when it comes to the unique mechanics, we can take into account what we want the strength and weaknesses of each class to be and this year how things can be modified with traits, specialities and adjusting height and weight.

EASHL in it’s current design isn’t meant to replicate superstar players that are skilled in every area for the main point of players making choices about where they want to specialize either to maximize where they are strong or to make up for where they are weak in their own twitch gameplay and the style they want to play. Players decide on pros and cons as they make those choices. That also doesn’t mean these are just weak rated players though as some claim. In the areas where they are strong, they can have very high attributes. It is just in the areas where they are weak, they can have low attributes. This makes the strengths and weaknesses across the builds more obvious and makes the choices more important.

So with that, taking the OVR into account the same way you would for VS/HUT/Franchise isn’t necessarily the same. I would even argue in those modes, the OVR doesn’t matter as it’s just a pre decided way to try and give one number to a collection of skills. It is much more important to focus on the strengths and weaknesses in the details. Having a low deking rating may lower your overall rating but if you are a pass first player and/or score all your goals on one timers, that attribute doesn’t matter.

But to bring it back, we can take feedback on eashl player class tuning as isolated to feedback around general game style tuning. It actually gives us more control to do it that way as you want the mechanic to always have tons of range in the impact attributes can have for more player separation and you can then utilize that full range as you differentiate players.

@WainGretSki you had a great post about builds which is lost in one of these threads. It was well thought out and a good place to launch some discussions from.

Personally, holding this tuner and working on builds to balance 6v6 sounds about as close to optimal as we could get in this sort of thing.

Thanks man. Appreciate the kind words.
  • I just want to say that this community really showed up for this. There's no question that although some of us debate endlessly about what should be in the game, how mechanics should work, what's 'hockey' and whatnot, we can all still come together and put significant changes to the test and have quality discussions surrounding the impact of those changes.

If anything, the reversion to beta has proven that although we all have our disagreements and maybe get a little passionate in our discussions, every single one of us just wants an awesome hockey game and that's really it. We all share in that mentality and it's nice to see it on display.

I think everyone has pretty much covered most things in this thread. I don't want to re-iterate anything, so I'll stick to a couple of things I've noticed.

1. Changes to DSS

In this example (Pre-Beta Tuner) I am able to use DSS to discourage the player from making a play by sticking out DSS and forcing him outside:

mQjnzey.gif

Similar example Post-Beta, and it seems as though the amount of distance required between you and the puck carrier so as to NOT get a penalty, has increased:

L2qyt6x.gif

I believe this should be reigned in a little to act more like what happened in GIF 1. I should still be required to use DSS as to not trip, but I should be given some frames to ensure my stick doesn't cross the body or touch the puck carrier. With the Beta tuner, it seems as though there's no room for error at all. I'd like to see this changes as it encourages proper use of DSS.

2. Stick Breaks & Error-prone Game State

I feel the stick break introduces an 'error' to your team in the 'game state'. I feel when this happens, your team is suddenly more error-prone than normal. I think this is demonstrated in this gif where the stick breaks - introducing an 'error-prone' state my team, and the player in the front of the net who should EASILY possess the puck (or at least have enough awareness to shovel the puck to the corner) attempts to get the puck but it seemingly goes right through him:

cPsZ1H3.gif

Speaking of an error-prone game state - here is another clip where it seems my opponent's team is stuck in a state where they cannot interact with the puck. I took this clip because as I noticed that he was unable to switch players and/or his CPU player just couldn't interact with that puck at all, I said out loud to myself, "I'm going to score on the next shot I take".

I could sense that something was amiss here and I truly believed I would score on my next shot. I took a random shot with Connor - which was blocked - but the puck fell right on Wheeler's stick and I decided to just hit shoot again:

omNDUkX.gif

Here is another scenario where I believe this error-prone state (EPS) is introduced to Tampa Bay after the goalie gives up a 'rebound' (which is really a mishandled dump-in). Nobody on Tampa can handle the puck after this 'error' is made, and I score on my next shot:

24Lae1w.gif

When scenarios play out like the ones above, I definitely understand why people would cry Ice-Tilt.

I am not sure if the beta tuner introduces more "error-prone" states to teams that make mistakes, but if this is the case, I'd like to see those states become less obvious.

I could be way out to lunch here and I don't want anyone to think I'm on the side of people who claim 'ice tilt' - but this reversion is tuners has made me hyper vigilant for things - and the idea of an 'error-prone' state being put on your team seems likely considering the above scenarios.

Own goals on defense have already been discussed, but I wanted to add some GIFs to showcase this as I feel this has increased significantly since the beta tuner was released:

aa014Ac.gif

srX2iBV.gif

A lot of those gifs make me angry and I wasn’t the one playing.
  • EpiCxOwNeD
    638 posts Member
    edited January 2019
    Anyone think they should up the skating speed or keep it where it is? I feel like upping the speed would be better.
  • EpiCxOwNeD wrote: »
    Anyone think they should up the skating speed or keep it where it is? I feel like upping the speed would be better.

Still undecided. I like the balance between defense and offense right now. Both are viable again instead of offense feeling op.
  • flyextacy wrote: »
    EpiCxOwNeD wrote: »

Still undecided. I like the balance between defense and offense right now. Both are viable again instead of offense feeling op.

I feel like there’s a good balance right now. Not a fan though of goalies letting in weak unscreened goals.

I just think if they up the speed then postion would be more crucial and I personally think it would bring a more hockey like skill gap as you need to read and react a lot faster and if you get caught chasing, then you’ll get torched.
  • Im offline player. V 1.0 (beta) is quite fine. Just turn down penalties and improve goalies ability.
    flyextacy wrote: »

I feel like there’s a good balance right now. Not a fan though of goalies letting in weak unscreened goals.

I just think if they up the speed then postion would be more crucial and I personally think it would bring a more hockey like skill gap as you need to read and react a lot faster and if you get caught chasing, then you’ll get torched.

Goalies have needed a true overhaul. They've been bad for years. I wish they would be adaptive during the game. For example if someone goes high glove side all game, the goalie will put himself in better position to save it but then leave himself open in another area so there is still balance.
  • EpiCxOwNeD
    638 posts Member
    edited January 2019

Goalies have needed a true overhaul. They've been bad for years. I wish they would be adaptive during the game. For example if someone goes high glove side all game, the goalie will put himself in better position to save it but then leave himself open in another area so there is still balance.

I’ve been saying that for a while too. Not even just the glove but the backhand forehand backhand move that goes in an absurd amount. I wonder when the last time the goalies got a complete overhaul expect for a few animations here and there.

They need to rebound pucks like a real NHL goalie would.
  • VeNOM2099 wrote: »
    barrett098 wrote: »
    Bring back the 1.03 tuner for human goalies please. All those positive changes made for human goalies back to square 1 now. Literally feels like playing goalie mode in NHL 17 now, the invisible barrier near the goal posts are back again. If you guys are planning on keeping the beta tuner, at least bring back all the changes that were made for human goalies.

I kinda of stopped playing now and just waiting for them to get rid of this tuner since I only play goalie mode. Just make a new tuner with everything what the position players want, but bring back the changes made for goalies. 1.03 felt so much better to play goalie mode. This tuner brought back NHL 17 goalie mode where you cant even go near the goal posts without hugging it.

Strange... I thought most of the goalie changes came inside the patches, not the tuner. Especially one of the most recent ones that saw the blending of post hugging/VH into and out of the posts be much more fluid and responsive. I think the only change that affected goalies with the rollback was their pass aim assist is back to being a tad too high (holding LEFT to pass, but puck instead goes right up the middle to an opponent's stick). Maybe @NHLDev can confirm, but I haven't felt any significant changes to the goalies with the rollback, though granted I haven't played goalie as often as I used to, though the times I did it was the same ol' scenario of being only as good as the players in front of me allow me to be.

That said I think I'm done playing this game for a while, again. It was... interesting (to say the least) to get back into it after a long while of inactivity. I went in with low expectations and I can't say I'm too surprised at my experience with the game for the past week or so. It hasn't deviated much from what I remember, namely the brainless, skill-less offense that is so readily rewarded, while defense takes so much discipline and skill for much less rewards. Goaltending is slightly worse off than defense still, in that we have much less "manual" control over our actions, yet we also get punished severely for our teammates mistakes on top of mistakes we may make.

It was also interesting to see people's varying reactions to the changes the rollback had on gameplay. Especially people in stream chats! LOL!!

My feedback on the rollback tuner survey is going to remain largely unchanged from what I said for the PRE-rollback survey. Namely that the game needs a better skating engine tuning (less 360° movement, more agility when changing direction), better tools for defense and goaltending, and a slight nerf to the offense which has traditionally been overpowered in EA Hockey.

The game is not beyond saving at this point. Let's see what happens for here on out.

I've actually found a big difference on that. Me and a buddy of mine who used to play a lot of twos did some club last night and we won four out of five games. Normally we go one out of five or two out of five because we get cheesed to death. But we were able to actually defend last night. Different people have different experiences I suppose

No, you're probably right about that. I was mostly talking about 1v1 game modes, the only 6s experience I got with the game is drop-ins as I don't have any friends who play this game anymore and I quit LG at the same time I quit this game. I did have some people message me a few weeks back (before the rollback) asking me if I wanted to play, but I declined telling them I don't play NHL anymore, which I didn't and I plan on going back to not playing again now.

I'll still keep an eye on the forums and see what changes come about after EA compiles all the feedback after the tuners revert back to 1.03, though that should take some time I'm imagining. Can't wait for the "where's the update after the rollback feedback" threads 2 days after the rollback ends. LOL!!!
  • VeNOM2099 wrote: »
    VeNOM2099 wrote: »
    barrett098 wrote: »
    Bring back the 1.03 tuner for human goalies please. All those positive changes made for human goalies back to square 1 now. Literally feels like playing goalie mode in NHL 17 now, the invisible barrier near the goal posts are back again. If you guys are planning on keeping the beta tuner, at least bring back all the changes that were made for human goalies.

I kinda of stopped playing now and just waiting for them to get rid of this tuner since I only play goalie mode. Just make a new tuner with everything what the position players want, but bring back the changes made for goalies. 1.03 felt so much better to play goalie mode. This tuner brought back NHL 17 goalie mode where you cant even go near the goal posts without hugging it.

Strange... I thought most of the goalie changes came inside the patches, not the tuner. Especially one of the most recent ones that saw the blending of post hugging/VH into and out of the posts be much more fluid and responsive. I think the only change that affected goalies with the rollback was their pass aim assist is back to being a tad too high (holding LEFT to pass, but puck instead goes right up the middle to an opponent's stick). Maybe @NHLDev can confirm, but I haven't felt any significant changes to the goalies with the rollback, though granted I haven't played goalie as often as I used to, though the times I did it was the same ol' scenario of being only as good as the players in front of me allow me to be.

That said I think I'm done playing this game for a while, again. It was... interesting (to say the least) to get back into it after a long while of inactivity. I went in with low expectations and I can't say I'm too surprised at my experience with the game for the past week or so. It hasn't deviated much from what I remember, namely the brainless, skill-less offense that is so readily rewarded, while defense takes so much discipline and skill for much less rewards. Goaltending is slightly worse off than defense still, in that we have much less "manual" control over our actions, yet we also get punished severely for our teammates mistakes on top of mistakes we may make.

It was also interesting to see people's varying reactions to the changes the rollback had on gameplay. Especially people in stream chats! LOL!!

My feedback on the rollback tuner survey is going to remain largely unchanged from what I said for the PRE-rollback survey. Namely that the game needs a better skating engine tuning (less 360° movement, more agility when changing direction), better tools for defense and goaltending, and a slight nerf to the offense which has traditionally been overpowered in EA Hockey.

The game is not beyond saving at this point. Let's see what happens for here on out.

I've actually found a big difference on that. Me and a buddy of mine who used to play a lot of twos did some club last night and we won four out of five games. Normally we go one out of five or two out of five because we get cheesed to death. But we were able to actually defend last night. Different people have different experiences I suppose

No, you're probably right about that. I was mostly talking about 1v1 game modes, the only 6s experience I got with the game is drop-ins as I don't have any friends who play this game anymore and I quit LG at the same time I quit this game. I did have some people message me a few weeks back (before the rollback) asking me if I wanted to play, but I declined telling them I don't play NHL anymore, which I didn't and I plan on going back to not playing again now.

I'll still keep an eye on the forums and see what changes come about after EA compiles all the feedback after the tuners revert back to 1.03, though that should take some time I'm imagining. Can't wait for the "where's the update after the rollback feedback" threads 2 days after the rollback ends. LOL!!!

Try like 15 minutes.
    It’s going to be a bowling ball to the face.
    All Comments pertain to 6v6 drop in unless otherwise stated..
  • Well, I played 3 back-to-back games Saturday night, about 7p.m. Eastern. Played 4 games back-to-back Sunday night, around 10p.m. Eastern. Here's my feedback and it is all for EASHL 6v6 and strictly as D man.

Call me crazy, but this is absolutely not the Beta I remember playing 5 months ago. Skating is not as crisp and responsive as it was. AI goalies are alot weaker short side than they were back then. Same dekes as last week are still money. I tried Sniper as D and fiddled with height/weight and perks. Still did not feel as crisp as it did in the beta. As it stands, a 6 foot 200lbs Sniper felt more crisp then than it does now does at 5 feet 10, 175 pounds. Stop and go is where it is the most notable. Braking distances are longer than 5 months ago. Call me crazy, but skating feels alot like 1.03 while during the beta skating felt completely new and different than any TPS game. Beta skating was night and day for me, while this beta tuning simply isn't.

Hitting is better than 1.03, no doubt about it. But it is definitely not as effective as the beta was. Having said that, I think it is in a good and fair spot as it is. There are times where forwards can fight off a check, which is fair, but it isn't the main weapon to generate offense, which is fair and logical. There are spin-o-ramas and a good selection of dekes and forwards should have to rely on these tools. The better players at this will create that skill gap, and that again, is as it should be. Granted, not every build should pull off all dekes and now it makes more sense and emphasizes the importance of the Dangler build.

As a D man I did not lay out as many people as I would have enjoyed, but alot of times I was at least generating a stumble which is more than what I can say about 1.03. That is why I consider it a fair compromise and tuning. Forwards shouldn't loose the puck on every check, but almost every check generates a reaction and it does favor puck movement and team play. Much more enjoyable. You can tell forwards don't have that huge comfort zone they had when carrying the puck in 1.03. They appear nervous when D forces their hand. The better players are finding ways to handle and keep the puck, but it isn't ridiculous and overpowered like in 1.03.

Nudges from behind are absolutely not op and honestly do not feel a whole lot different than 1.03.

Now that team play is more important in this tuner, I think passing should be a bit more crisp and snappy. Players need to move the puck and to be fair to forwards, they should have passing power and the speed at which to pull them off bumped up a bit.

I think game speed should be sped up just a bit. It is a video game and D men should be forced to make quick decisions and those that aren't as good at it should pay the price. Twitch skills have to matter a little more than currently.

All in all, it is still a very good improvement over 1.03. Boxing players and cutting off their paths are still the smarter plays for D men, but for the times the game requires you to step up to forwards, it rewards more than not. Forwards still have options to keep and protect the puck, but the balance is more logical. Those who exaggerate and refuse to cycle pay the price alot more than 1.03. I don't feel like forwards can bully their way passed me as consistently as they could in 1.03

Regardless of which final tuning is used, straight-up R1 pokechecks should be more precise than they are. As it is, it still feels like a skate magnet and this is made worse by how fast forwards can curl their sticks away to protect the puck. I am not saying this should apply in all situations, but when proper gap and control is used, straight up R1 needs to be more precise and rewarding. Dekes are so much harder to pull off in real life, yet in this game they are way more precise and easy to pull off than R1 pokes. Logic is a little skewed there IMO.

Since this rollback, I see alot less players quitting. Even when losing, it is still fun unless your teammates are complete clueless and selfish players. As long as there is relative puck movement and teamplay, I don't see alot of people quitting out in dropins.

Puck feels more loose and alot less players are hogging the puck at low speeds. It makes the game flow better and feels a bit faster this way. DSS and pokes for me are pretty much as effective as they were, but I somehow feel like my stick wants to target skates more than it did in 1.03. For physical play, the player bubbles are still there, but better than 1.03. I still feel like they should be toned down just a tiny bit, but then again I feel the balance is much closer than it was in 1.03 so I could accept this tuning in that regard.

I really wish we had the pure beta tuning and no patches at all during this week. It would have been the absolute best way to refresh our memories and really give feedback based on what we played 5 months ago. These patches do have an impact on the game and are quite noticeable compared to the first beta version.

All in all, game definitely is more enjoyable, resembles more like hockey and is a great step in the right direction. So far, so good.

• The game should remain where it is now with the rollback. Both sides of the puck have the necessary tools. Goalies are good enough to not let in EVERY ss attempt. Bumps off the puck are not OP, but good enough to force good players to move the puck. Skating resembles that of pre tuner, pre patch Beta which is what we wanted.
  • flyextacy wrote: »

See that is a misconception. If the game is faster then how does offense reign over defense? Last I checked it means those who are slow at reacting are the ones who will be the ones suffering.

If the gameplay is faster that means pokes should go faster too. Closing gaps on players in front of you should go faster giving less time to think for both sides. The only thing a faster paced game does is help with transitioning from defense to offense and vice versa.

(EASHL 6's POV only)
  • EpiCxOwNeD
    638 posts Member
    edited January 2019
    Well, I played 3 back-to-back games Saturday night, about 7p.m. Eastern. Played 4 games back-to-back Sunday night, around 10p.m. Eastern. Here's my feedback and it is all for EASHL 6v6 and strictly as D man.

Call me crazy, but this is absolutely not the Beta I remember playing 5 months ago. Skating is not as crisp and responsive as it was. AI goalies are alot weaker short side than they were back then. Same dekes as last week are still money. I tried Sniper as D and fiddled with height/weight and perks. Still did not feel as crisp as it did in the beta. As it stands, a 6 foot 200lbs Sniper felt more crisp then than it does now does at 5 feet 10, 175 pounds. Stop and go is where it is the most notable. Braking distances are longer than 5 months ago. Call me crazy, but skating feels alot like 1.03 while during the beta skating felt completely new and different than any TPS game. Beta skating was night and day for me, while this beta tuning simply isn't.

Hitting is better than 1.03, no doubt about it. But it is definitely not as effective as the beta was. Having said that, I think it is in a good and fair spot as it is. There are times where forwards can fight off a check, which is fair, but it isn't the main weapon to generate offense, which is fair and logical. There are spin-o-ramas and a good selection of dekes and forwards should have to rely on these tools. The better players at this will create that skill gap, and that again, is as it should be. Granted, not every build should pull off all dekes and now it makes more sense and emphasizes the importance of the Dangler build.

As a D man I did not lay out as many people as I would have enjoyed, but alot of times I was at least generating a stumble which is more than what I can say about 1.03. That is why I consider it a fair compromise and tuning. Forwards shouldn't loose the puck on every check, but almost every check generates a reaction and it does favor puck movement and team play. Much more enjoyable. You can tell forwards don't have that huge comfort zone they had when carrying the puck in 1.03. They appear nervous when D forces their hand. The better players are finding ways to handle and keep the puck, but it isn't ridiculous and overpowered like in 1.03.

Nudges from behind are absolutely not op and honestly do not feel a whole lot different than 1.03.

Now that team play is more important in this tuner, I think passing should be a bit more crisp and snappy. Players need to move the puck and to be fair to forwards, they should have passing power and the speed at which to pull them off bumped up a bit.

I think game speed should be sped up just a bit. It is a video game and D men should be forced to make quick decisions and those that aren't as good at it should pay the price. Twitch skills have to matter a little more than currently.

All in all, it is still a very good improvement over 1.03. Boxing players and cutting off their paths are still the smarter plays for D men, but for the times the game requires you to step up to forwards, it rewards more than not. Forwards still have options to keep and protect the puck, but the balance is more logical. Those who exaggerate and refuse to cycle pay the price alot more than 1.03. I don't feel like forwards can bully their way passed me as consistently as they could in 1.03

Regardless of which final tuning is used, straight-up R1 pokechecks should be more precise than they are. As it is, it still feels like a skate magnet and this is made worse by how fast forwards can curl their sticks away to protect the puck. I am not saying this should apply in all situations, but when proper gap and control is used, straight up R1 needs to be more precise and rewarding. Dekes are so much harder to pull off in real life, yet in this game they are way more precise and easy to pull off than R1 pokes. Logic is a little skewed there IMO.

Since this rollback, I see alot less players quitting. Even when losing, it is still fun unless your teammates are complete clueless and selfish players. As long as there is relative puck movement and teamplay, I don't see alot of people quitting out in dropins.

Puck feels more loose and alot less players are hogging the puck at low speeds. It makes the game flow better and feels a bit faster this way. DSS and pokes for me are pretty much as effective as they were, but I somehow feel like my stick wants to target skates more than it did in 1.03. For physical play, the player bubbles are still there, but better than 1.03. I still feel like they should be toned down just a tiny bit, but then again I feel the balance is much closer than it was in 1.03 so I could accept this tuning in that regard.

I really wish we had the pure beta tuning and no patches at all during this week. It would have been the absolute best way to refresh our memories and really give feedback based on what we played 5 months ago. These patches do have an impact on the game and are quite noticeable compared to the first beta version.

All in all, game definitely is more enjoyable, resembles more like hockey and is a great step in the right direction. So far, so good.

I agree with the skating and hitting.

Skating doesn’t feel as fast and I can’t explode in the original beta. Plus I felt that agility was better during the beta in the sense I was able to turn to where I wanted to face a little faster.

Hitting is better, but there are times when I should deck someone and he doesn’t fall for the ground.

Nudges I think we’re a little op in the beta but there at time when I’m in the corner or the opposing player is and I just shove him to the boards to get the puck loose.

I also agree about turning up the skating speed. I played yesterday with a PMD with 88 speed and I just feel like I’m skating really fast.
  • Too many whiffs on one timers.

DSS is a mess. Is this not recognizing stick on stick?

Puck pick ups are trash.

Checking is good.

Puck physics are improved.

Goalies are =/=

I'm still undecided on skating, but the game is definately too slow.

They should definitely up the speed.
  • RSall14 wrote: »

They should definitely up the speed.

Yes please for the love of God can u please up the speed in VS just a bit
  • Follisimo wrote: »

See that is a misconception. If the game is faster then how does offense reign over defense? Last I checked it means those who are slow at reacting are the ones who will be the ones suffering.

If the gameplay is faster that means pokes should go faster too. Closing gaps on players in front of you should go faster giving less time to think for both sides. The only thing a faster paced game does is help with transitioning from defense to offense and vice versa.

(EASHL 6's POV only)

We wouldnt know unless they upped the speed and we got to try. I'm not arguing your points because I agree but when it comes to EA its never that simple.
  • Does anyone else feel the DSS is actually better now?
  • Does anyone else feel the DSS is actually better now?

Yup, feels way more smooth to go into and come out of.