EA Forums - Banner

Goalie CR?

Prev1
How does the game calculate your CR for the goalie position? We played a club game against far better club than us (CR high 700 and even 800, compared with out 500ish), and managed a 2-1 win. Our skaters received something like 26 points to their CR, and me as the goalie... I got a whopping 11 or 12 points?

Is that how it's supposed to work? I played pretty well, and did a couple of game savers. Ok my save percentage wasnt in the 90s, it was around 85... is that why?

Our more regular goalie has been complaining that it's very hard to raise your CR. I didn't really pay attention to it before, but now I get what he means.

Replies

• CR is a joke in this game, you get no CR for winning if youre around 700+ but will lose 15-20CR for every loss
  • HandsomeCatf1sh
    1707 posts Member
    edited January 2019
    CR is a joke in this game, you get no CR for winning if youre around 700+ but will lose 15-20CR for every loss

Why do you care about CR so much?!
    It has no impact on your build or anything.
    It’s just there to try and make matchmaking more balanced ...so 800/900 cr guys aren’t always playing 400/500 type Cr players.
  • Sgt_Kelso
    1325 posts Member
    edited January 2019
    Yeah, but how does the goalie CR affect this or even work in the first place? That's the question of this topic, not skater CR generally, because it seems to work different for goalies.
  • Sgt_Kelso wrote: »
    Yeah, but how does the goalie CR affect this or even work in the first place? That's the question of this topic, not skater CR generally, because it seems to work different for goalies.

I do play a lot of goalie ...haven’t played close attention....but it does seem to work the same ...I’ll go on winning streaks and my CR goes up...and it goes down when I lose.

I’ll try to pay more attention next time I’m between the pipes.
  • Yeah, you'd think the goalie gets the same CR bonus as skaters, but in this instance the difference was huge.
    How does the game calculate your CR for the goalie position? We played a club game against far better club than us (CR high 700 and even 800, compared with out 500ish), and managed a 2-1 win. Our skaters received something like 26 points to their CR, and me as the goalie... I got a whopping 11 or 12 points?

Is that how it's supposed to work? I played pretty well, and did a couple of game savers. Ok my save percentage wasnt in the 90s, it was around 85... is that why?

Our more regular goalie has been complaining that it's very hard to raise your CR. I didn't really pay attention to it before, but now I get what he means.

Far as I know CR in a team mode will be calculated on the average CR of the team. The higher the difference, the more it impacts your CR.

If your opponents have a much higher CR than yours then you get a decent bump in CR. If they are much lower, that's where you get +7 or whatever. It is a deterrent to seal clubbing and scrub hunting. How high is your CR? It must be higher than your mates because your CR bump was smaller.

Maybe a dev can explain how it works in a team format like EASHL.
  • Sgt_Kelso
    1325 posts Member
    edited January 2019
    Our CR was on average around high 500s, but my goalie CR was around 450. Which is why it's so baffling. Why did they get 26 points, and I got only 12?
    Our CR was on average around high 500s, but my goalie CR was around 450. Which is why it's so baffling. Why did they get 26 points, and I got only 12?

Good question. CR is based on wins and losses. Far as I know, has nothing to do with how well or bad you play. I have played terrible games from time to time and still get a CR bump when my team wins.
  • barrett098
    428 posts Member
    edited January 2019
    goalies get cr ONLY based on the other goalies cr. has nothing to do with other team's position players cr. once you get to 900+cr as goalie its literally impossible to get more than 1-3 cr even if you beating teams with position players with 1100+cr bc most goalies dont have more than 800. only time you will get +15cr as goalie is if u run into other goalie with broken +98k cr. but most of the broken cr goalies have negative -98k cr so even when u beat them u will get 0, even if they playing on a team with guys that have 1000+cr. and you will get -15cr for every loss against them.
  • barrett098 wrote: »
    goalies get cr only based on the other goalies cr. has nothing to do with other team's position players cr.

That seems logical.
  • Sgt_Kelso
    1325 posts Member
    edited January 2019
    To me it seems very dumb, if that's the way it is. Looks like EA doesn't really appreciate the most important player in the team? What a surprise...

You shouldn't compare goalies, you should compare goalies against the skaters / shots & saves etc.
    To me it seems very dumb, if that's the way it is. Looks like EA doesn't really appreciate the most important player in the team? What a surprise...

You shouldn't compare goalies, you should compare goalies against the skaters / shots & saves etc.

it used to average cr of the entire other team. its just this year they made it where it only against what the other goalie has.
  • NHLDev
    1680 posts EA NHL Developer
    I am inquiring about it with the online team. I was actually one of the ones asking for unique goalie CR as it is such a different position that we wouldn’t expect a 900 CR winger to give their team the same chance to win when playing net until we know they are also a 900 CR goalie.

That said, I still expected that CR to be used against all players in the game and not just goalie to goalie when it comes to adding/subtracting CR.

As such unique positions that can have a single impact on a game, it is good to balance goalies against each other though as part of matchmaking. I don’t have data on hand but know the online team looks at it to qualify the success of matchmaking — would be interesting to look at how a higher collective CR team can make up for having a goalie with low CR compared to a goalie with high CR making up for a team with a lower collective CR.
  • NHLDev wrote: »
    I am inquiring about it with the online team. I was actually one of the ones asking for unique goalie CR as it is such a different position that we wouldn’t expect a 900 CR winger to give their team the same chance to win when playing net until we know they are also a 900 CR goalie.

That said, I still expected that CR to be used against all players in the game and not just goalie to goalie when it comes to adding/subtracting CR.

As such unique positions that can have a single impact on a game, it is good to balance goalies against each other though as part of matchmaking. I don’t have data on hand but know the online team looks at it to qualify the success of matchmaking — would be interesting to look at how a higher collective CR team can make up for having a goalie with low CR compared to a goalie with high CR making up for a team with a lower collective CR.

A goalie with high CR will never make up for a team with low CR if his opponents are decent. His CR will drop really fast.

From what I have seen, the only goalies with high CR are playing with a very good team.
  • NHLDev
    1680 posts EA NHL Developer
    A goalie with high CR will never make up for a team with low CR if his opponents are decent. His CR will drop really fast.

From what I have seen, the only goalies with high CR are playing with a very good team.
    Well, it depends how they achieved the CR. Someone who has a good sample size of games and only plays drops is, it would be quite accurate. If they only play with a good club, it could be inflated for sure relative to what they can achieve in a drop in game with random players.

But that said, if we are matching goalies to one another, it should equal out if both goalies are on average playing the same variance of games to achieve their CR.

More could be done to dial it in more but should be much better with unique goalie CR than it was last year.
  • HandsomeCatf1sh
    1707 posts Member
    edited January 2019
    It think it would be more fruitful and sensible to make skater and goalie CR work exactly the same.
    I don’t see the logic behind making it goalie vs goalie.
  • NHLDev wrote: »

Well, it depends how they achieved the CR. Someone who has a good sample size of games and only plays drops is, it would be quite accurate. If they only play with a good club, it could be inflated for sure relative to what they can achieve in a drop in game with random players.

But that said, if we are matching goalies to one another, it should equal out if both goalies are on average playing the same variance of games to achieve their CR.

More could be done to dial it in more but should be much better with unique goalie CR than it was last year.

Any ETA as to when goalie CR is going to be corrected? Mine is still -2147483648

hx57yraf8zyg.png

• barrett098
    428 posts Member
    edited January 2019
    It think it would be more fruitful and sensible to make skater and goalie CR work exactly the same.

if they did it like previous years, most teams will just use goalies with broken cr -98k since they will get max cr for every win and lose 0 when they lose. its already pain playing agasint goalies with negative cr since you get 0 as a goalie for win even if others on the team are 1000+cr

if they did it like previous years, most teams will just use goalies with broken cr -98k since they will get max cr for every win and lose 0 when they lose. its already pain playing agasint goalies with negative cr since you get 0 as a goalie for win even if others on the team are 1000+cr

Ehh...your wins loss record and GAA. Is what’s really important.

Ehh...your wins loss record and GAA. Is what’s really important.

Naw. Having fun is what's most important.