EA Forums - Banner

BETA TUNER DETAILS + FEEDBACK THREAD

Replies

• Bmh245 wrote: »
    VeNOM2099 wrote: »
    Go watch some streams like NugeTV and Realmiviens. I mean, the comments in the chat room are hilarious, but they're obviously unhappy about the tuner rollback.

But players like Nuge and his followers are unhappy about the rollback because it's made it harder for people to figure skate, abuse LT and exploit all of the game's flaws. That's not an argument against the rollback - it's one of the best arguments for it.

Nicely said.

Go watch some streams like NugeTV and Realmiviens. I mean, the comments in the chat room are hilarious, but they're obviously unhappy about the tuner rollback.

But players like Nuge and his followers are unhappy about the rollback because it's made it harder for people to figure skate, abuse LT and exploit all of the game's flaws. That's not an argument against the rollback - it's one of the best arguments for it.

Bingo!!!!
  • barrett098 wrote: »
    i hate this tuner for goalie mode.

Dont worry about that man...it’s already Ben stated (see what I did there) that there are no brainers about goalie tweaks that we be fixed.

Actually, I didn't say that Nuge hates them, I said his VIEWERS do. Nuge actually doesn't mind the tuners. He's said many times that he thought it would be much worse after the rollback.

As for LT abuse, he and Mivs constantly abuse it even after the rollback. It makes me sick to my stomach everytime I see them come out from behind the net skating backwards, wiggle and shoot short side for an easy goal on the tendy. :(

The #1 complaint I hear from Nuge though is puck pickups (which are still bad) and dumb AI (especially on offense). Mivs does cry about the tuners ruining the game and about ice-tilt, how it butchered creativity with the nerf to LT, but then goes about scoring 3 goals by abusing the LT mechanic. The one constant is both their chats are full of people hating on the tuner rollback.

Which again, isn't why they're losing. The people hating on the tuner change are people who can't adapt. They just want to do stuff and be rewarded, which, guess what? Still happens even after the rollback. I lost one game in VS to some dude just skating over the blue line and throwing muffins on net. But I won like 12 games in a row before that by playing HOCKEY. Is that the tuner? Or is that simply me playing like I know how to play? I want to say it's mostly the latter, with a smidgen of the former.

Because I can adapt my play. And those that complain can't.
  • @NHLDev

I have been tinkering with the gameplay sliders lately and I came across the incidental contact section and was wondering what the current tuning for incidental contact is at in terms of what part of the skater can cause it. The incidental contact in the beta rollback is unbearable for forwards and you cant do anything for more than a second against the good teams who know how to abuse it. Was there any thought in maybe toning it down or changing the combination of which parts that cause incidental contact. I would like to see the removal of the option for stick contact and having only legs and body would be much better leaving the defending players to only make stick contact with a poke check. We need a little more balance to what offense/defense can do and it is sorely unbalanced in the defenders favor this year and has been for the past few years.

Pretty much this.
    As soon as I saw the arguement that having an almost binary poke check with success or penalty I was pretty much over it. Sure they have great small motor skills and that’s wonderful...but..meh
    I do also run into a ton of poke happys. As long as they listen things has been great. Got most of em running a few plays and more than a few cheers and gasps as plays come together. It’s actually one of my favorite things lately
    All Comments pertain to 6v6 drop in unless otherwise stated..
  • barrett098 wrote: »

I'm tellin ya dude, the changes to goalies were very minimal after the rollback. If you were doing great before the tuner rollback, you should be doing great now as well.

It could also you're just going through a slump with your team. Before the changes, about 2 months ago before I stopped playing, I was on a horrible slump. After the changes, I got into a mini-streak of wins doing the EXACT same thing I was doing 2 months ago.

And yet, on Sunday, the last game I played I was horribly manhandled by the other team as my teammates were absolutely clueless on the ice. That's not the tuner's fault, my team was bad. The other team was good. We goalies can only hold back the floodgates so much before we get overwhelmed and start making mistakes.

It happens. Not the tuner's fault, bruh.
  • langowski39
    71 posts Member
    edited January 2019
    @NHLDev

I have been tinkering with the gameplay sliders lately and I came across the incidental contact section and was wondering what the current tuning for incidental contact is at in terms of what part of the skater can cause it. The incidental contact in the beta rollback is unbearable for forwards and you cant do anything for more than a second against the good teams who know how to abuse it. Was there any thought in maybe toning it down or changing the combination of which parts that cause incidental contact. I would like to see the removal of the option for stick contact and having only legs and body would be much better leaving the defending players to only make stick contact with a poke check. We need a little more balance to what offense/defense can do and it is sorely unbalanced in the defenders favor this year and has been for the past few years.

I don't know where your getting that this sorely unbalanced in the defenders favor. If anything it has always been unbalanced in favor the the offense. This is the first time in a long time that playing defense is fun and not a chore. I mean for years all you had to so was hold your stick an certain way and no one could hit you, stick lift you,or poke check you. This game is balanced now and you have to be able to pass fast and spread the defense out if you want success.
    Post edited by langowski39 on
    If you see Grammar or Spelling errors. I am starting to experience the long term effects of ten plus concussions.
  • NickKefz
    67 posts Member
    edited January 2019
    @NHLDev

I don't know where your getting that this sorely unbalanced in the defenders favor. If anything it has always be unbalanced in favor the the offense. This is the first time in a long time that playing defense is fun and not a chore. I mean for years all you had to so was hold your stick an certain way and no one could hit you, stick lift you,or poke check you. This game is balanced now and you have to be able to pass fast and spread the defense out if you want success.

What mode do you often play, in EASHL clubs at the top level its literally unplayable there is no flow to the game and I couldn't disagree more with what you said. In past games we could deke around defenders when there wasn't incidental stick contact but dekes are non existent now because of the succession rate and we could also curl and protect but that is mostly gone now because of auto dekes on the right stick, 2 massive tools taken away from forwards. In this current rollback state it is severely unbalanced at the top level in clubs. I normally play forward, played a few games of D last night for the heck of it and it was mind blowing how easy it is to defend in this game you literally dont have to touch any button on your controller other than the left stick for the carrier to lose the puck there is little to no skill involved the game does everything for you.

• What mode do you often play, in EASHL clubs at the top level its literally unplayable there is no flow to the game and I couldn't disagree more with what you said. In past games we could deke around defenders when there wasn't incidental stick contact but dekes are non existent now because of the succession rate and we could also curl and protect but that is mostly gone now because of auto dekes on the right stick, 2 massive tools taken away from forwards. In this current rollback state it is severely unbalanced at the top level in clubs. I normally play forward, played a few games of D last night for the heck of it and it was mind blowing how easy it is to defend in this game you literally dont have to touch any button on your controller other than the left stick for the carrier to lose the puck there is little to no skill involved the game does everything for you.

Yeah, it's really a shame they've made it so hard to dangle around the offensive zone with the puck.

You know what would be cool? If there was some way of moving the puck from one teammate to another from a distance. Think of the scoring opportunities it could open up!
  • VeNOM2099 wrote: »
    barrett098 wrote: »

I'm tellin ya dude, the changes to goalies were very minimal after the rollback. If you were doing great before the tuner rollback, you should be doing great now as well.

It could also you're just going through a slump with your team. Before the changes, about 2 months ago before I stopped playing, I was on a horrible slump. After the changes, I got into a mini-streak of wins doing the EXACT same thing I was doing 2 months ago.

And yet, on Sunday, the last game I played I was horribly manhandled by the other team as my teammates were absolutely clueless on the ice. That's not the tuner's fault, my team was bad. The other team was good. We goalies can only hold back the floodgates so much before we get overwhelmed and start making mistakes.

I played ~10 club games since tuner game out and haven't lost a single game. I'm not complaining bc I'm losing. It just the movements feels weird now, and the invisible barrier near goal posts are back. Can still over commit and play well without having to rely on standing up post hugging, it just feels like goalie mode from NHL 17/18. Doesn't feel as smooth as it used to be in 1.03
  • VeNOM2099 wrote: »
    Bmh245 wrote: »

Actually, I didn't say that Nuge hates them, I said his VIEWERS do. Nuge actually doesn't mind the tuners. He's said many times that he thought it would be much worse after the rollback.

As for LT abuse, he and Mivs constantly abuse it even after the rollback. It makes me sick to my stomach everytime I see them come out from behind the net skating backwards, wiggle and shoot short side for an easy goal on the tendy. :(

The #1 complaint I hear from Nuge though is puck pickups (which are still bad) and dumb AI (especially on offense). Mivs does cry about the tuners ruining the game and about ice-tilt, how it butchered creativity with the nerf to LT, but then goes about scoring 3 goals by abusing the LT mechanic. The one constant is both their chats are full of people hating on the tuner rollback.

Which again, isn't why they're losing. The people hating on the tuner change are people who can't adapt. They just want to do stuff and be rewarded, which, guess what? Still happens even after the rollback. I lost one game in VS to some dude just skating over the blue line and throwing muffins on net. But I won like 12 games in a row before that by playing HOCKEY. Is that the tuner? Or is that simply me playing like I know how to play? I want to say it's mostly the latter, with a smidgen of the former.

Because I can adapt my play. And those that complain can't.

As Ben told me once on my Bacon video thread, most viewers of a YouTube channel are not going to disagree with the person they're following. Those youtubers, from what I understand, are known for being danglars and showcasing that play style. It would make sense that most of their viewers emulate that play style and would not like it.

The important part is not necessarily how many people agree with it and how many people disagree with it (though I'm pretty sure more people agree the beta rollback is better) but who is in the right. In this case, the people supporting the beta tuner are praising how much better of a hockey experience it creates. The people complaining about it are complaining about how much harder it is for them to be a one-man show and not play hockey in a hockey game.
  • Question for @NHLDev Can we expect some kind of outline as to what the next step come Friday will be? And how long until we see the results of this experiment?
    If you see Grammar or Spelling errors. I am starting to experience the long term effects of ten plus concussions.
  • renamed57635
    214 posts Member
    edited January 2019
    @NHLDev

I don't know where your getting that this sorely unbalanced in the defenders favor. If anything it has always be unbalanced in favor the the offense. This is the first time in a long time that playing defense is fun and not a chore. I mean for years all you had to so was hold your stick an certain way and no one could hit you, stick lift you,or poke check you. This game is balanced now and you have to be able to pass fast and spread the defense out if you want success.

What mode do you often play, in EASHL clubs at the top level its literally unplayable there is no flow to the game and I couldn't disagree more with what you said. In past games we could deke around defenders when there wasn't incidental stick contact but dekes are non existent now because of the succession rate and we could also curl and protect but that is mostly gone now because of auto dekes on the right stick, 2 massive tools taken away from forwards. In this current rollback state it is severely unbalanced at the top level in clubs. I normally play forward, played a few games of D last night for the heck of it and it was mind blowing how easy it is to defend in this game you literally dont have to touch any button on your controller other than the left stick for the carrier to lose the puck there is little to no skill involved the game does everything for you.

Well I will tell you (forward) what I've (defenseman) been told for many years. Adapt!

So you are complaining about incidental contact and not being able to freely gain access to scoring areas and you are complaining about tools being taken away? If anything, you being handed 1 touch dekes should have simplified your game. How much easier do you want it?

Let's be honest here. I actually play top club in EASHL and very rarely do any real top 6s club forwards even utilize 1 touch dekes to begin with. It sounds to me you just don't know when to deke and what dekes to use in a situation. If you are skating yourself so close to the defender that it causes incidental contact, that is 100% on you. If you can't decide when to move the puck and the defender closes the gap, that is also 100% on you.

As a puck carrier, you have the option to pass, shoot, dump, clear, etc. As a defender, you have the option of attacking the puck carrier or try to negate the pass or shot attempt. You, as a forward, have many more options. You just need to learn how to recognize your situation and respond to an option quicker. Any top EASHL player should know that.
  • Of course they agree with the broadcaster. Because they play the same game mode. Most of those kids talking about "Tuner sucks!! EA Sucks!!" play HUT or VS. exclusively. Even if they play 6s in drop-ins, they play like they would if they were playing HUT, meaning trying to be a one-man-show, which they'll fail at miserably.

As for who is in the right, anyone wanting the game to be more about hockey skill and knowledge, rather than about twitch skills and razzle-dazzle, dangle/snipe/celly is 100% in the right as far as I'm concerned.
  • @NHLDev

Translation, I can’t puck rag and glitch shot anymore so the game is broken.
  • @NHLDev

Well I will tell you (forward) what I've (defenseman) been told for many years. Adapt!

So you are complaining about incidental contact and not being able to freely gain access to scoring areas and you are complaining about tools being taken away? If anything, you being handed 1 touch dekes should have simplified your game. How much easier do you want it?

Let's be honest here. I actually play top club in EASHL and very rarely do any real top 6s club forwards even utilize 1 touch dekes to begin with. It sounds to me you just don't know when to deke and what dekes to use in a situation. If you are skating yourself so close to the defender that it causes incidental contact, that is 100% on you. If you can't decide when to move the puck and the defender closes the gap, that is also 100% on you.

As a puck carrier, you have the option to pass, shoot, dump, clear, etc. As a defender, you have the option of attacking the puck carrier or try to negate the pass or shot attempt. You, as a forward, have many more options. You just need to learn how to recognize your situation and respond to an option quicker. Any top EASHL player should know that.

I've played this game since 94 and its basically my main game that I log the most hours on so I adapt every year that is not my problem and if you read the post above you would have seen I didn't want incidental contact taken out of the game I just stated that its very overpowered in the rollback and offered a possible solution from my slider testing. From my recollection there were some pretty good changes to incidental contact throughout the year that did tone it down a lot anyway.

The problem isn't that I skate close to a defender its that all the defender needs to do is skate close to me and the contact is almost always initiated without any real action from the defenders side. There is no skill involved to it the game does all the defending for you when you literally have buttons to poke check, block shots, stick lift, hit/hip check, defensive skill stick sweep...What tools do forwards have now other than the LT and the option to pass its certainly not dekes the past few years.

Very rarely do you see any dekes because they just don't work anymore and no one is going to use something that isn't effective. Yes maybe if you were some juiced up HUT player you could properly utilize the deke system. EASHL builds are simply not capable of doing the dekes in the areas we actually need to create space because of the way they are tuned and the way people play super passive defense which is to just trap and clog the slot, its why you see everyone using the LT its the only proper way to quickly shield or move the puck away from an oncoming defender when there is no pass option.

A dump usually leads to a turnover because the speed of the game isn't fast enough for that style and quite honestly not effective at the high level and everyone just ends up throwing the puck on net for a pad save rebound or wildly when people collapse on them because they know if they don't it will lead to a turnover and those wild shots usually end up being deflected or redirected in a completely unpredictable way that just makes the whole aspect of playing offense random and not entertaining.
  • VeNOM2099
    3178 posts Member
    edited January 2019

I played ~10 club games since tuner game out and haven't lost a single game. I'm not complaining bc I'm losing. It just the movements feels weird now, and the invisible barrier near goal posts are back. Can still over commit and play well without having to rely on standing up post hugging, it just feels like goalie mode from NHL 17/18. Doesn't feel as smooth as it used to be in 1.03

Never said you were, bud. Just saying that changes to goalies after the rollback don't feel (at least to me) as bad as you make them sound. Maybe it's because I haven't played this game in two months... Maybe it's because one of the things I was beginning to incorporate into my game was the paddle down function which was sorta useless in competitive matches before the recent fix that helped with the blending on and off post hugs. I rarely hit that "wall" you mention and I use post hugging much more than any goalie I've seen or known. Even many goalies in LG still don't use post hugging very much because according to them, it was broken.

Just went back to look at all the notes for tuners and patches. The only thing in the tuners that could affect human goalies was in patch 1.01:
    • Added consistency for user goalies to transition to post hug at extreme facing directions

And tuner 1.03:
    • Improved cases where goaltender passes were getting overly assisted

I definitely feel that last change in the rollback. As for the patches, since they're all there, the only major change to goalies was in patch 1.3.0:
    • Improved consistency when transitioning from VH into hug post and from hug post into VH

That one fix changes the game for goalies. Because now we can go in and out of VH a lot smoother, making protecting the posts a lot easier, which is one of the issues you're describing, is it not? If it is, then it shouldn't have been affected by the tuner rollback, since it was a patch fix, not a tuner fix.
  • @NHLDev

I've played this game since 94 and its basically my main game that I log the most hours on so I adapt every year that is not my problem and if you read the post above you would have seen I didn't want incidental contact taken out of the game I just stated that its very overpowered in the rollback and offered a possible solution from my slider testing. From my recollection there were some pretty good changes to incidental contact throughout the year that did tone it down a lot anyway.

The problem isn't that I skate close to a defender its that all the defender needs to do is skate close to me and the contact is almost always initiated without any real action from the defenders side. There is no skill involved to it the game does all the defending for you when you literally have buttons to poke check, block shots, stick lift, hit/hip check, defensive skill stick sweep...What tools do forwards have now other than the LT and the option to pass its certainly not dekes the past few years.

Very rarely do you see any dekes because they just don't work anymore and no one is going to use something that isn't effective. Yes maybe if you were some juiced up HUT player you could properly utilize the deke system. EASHL builds are simply not capable of doing the dekes in the areas we actually need to create space because of the way they are tuned and the way people play super passive defense which is to just trap and clog the slot, its why you see everyone using the LT its the only proper way to quickly shield or move the puck away from an oncoming defender when there is no pass option.

A dump usually leads to a turnover because the speed of the game isn't fast enough for that style and quite honestly not effective at the high level and everyone just ends up throwing the puck on net for a pad save rebound or wildly when people collapse on them because they know if they don't it will lead to a turnover and those wild shots usually end up being deflected or redirected in a completely unpredictable way that just makes the whole aspect of playing offense random and not entertaining.

Try a slap shot dump, not an elevated dump. Try entering the zone and drawing the defender, then using a drop pass. Your teammate will have a clear path to the net if the defender committed. If the defenders just collapse and don't pursue, go behind the net until the one timer opens up. If they collapse and do pursue, work to the point and shoot low for deflections.

There are tons of ways to play offense realistically. I don't understand how incidental contact can be OP. Either you skate through a stick or you don't. It's not like the defender's stick is radiating a magnetic field.
  • LeFury_27
    203 posts Member
    edited January 2019
    The reason a lot of people are suffering with this tuner is because they refuse to pass. They hold on to the puck for too long and wonder why they can't generate any offense. You can complain about OP bumps all day but in the real world if you refuse to pass that's what happens. Expect to lose the puck every time if you hold on to it too long.

I just had 7 shutouts in a row in versus and the reason why is every one of those players was holding on to the puck too long resulting in an easy turn over.

The game needs to stay like this. Players who want to hold on to the puck and dangle all day should suffer, because they would in real life hockey.

Quick puck movement, team work and hockey IQ all the way.