EA Forums - Banner

I hope you’re having fun!!

Replies

• LiveDoggy wrote: »
    LiveDoggy wrote: »
    We traded war of warcraft pull the stick for the 5'7 Jedi push

Ehhhhh it’s jist a little puck and your on skates...you don’t have to be a Jedi to dislodge a puck....even a little dangler can knock the puck off a big guy if he’s just tryin to force his way through.

5'7 danglers are not suppose to be behind you and hit a 6'5 player off the puck, make him disoriented and steal the puck.

We are talking NHL 19 right? Not Fight night or madden

Ya....that doesn’t happen in nhl 19. Maybe that happend one time. I’d like to see a video of it...try to get a replay of it the one time it happens through every ten games or so.
  • Not sure what game you play, but this ALWAYS happens with this tuner. You get knocked off the puck from someone behind you that played bad defense and is trying to recover.

Maybe it doesn't happen in OTP since half the people quit, but in a club game (Ya know where the games count) happens all the time.
  • It's funny to read players still arguing for one man show offense,

If you want to avoid losing the puck so easily then pass the puck, don't hold on to it too long. I don't know how many times people skate right into the defense and then get mad they lost the puck. If you ever played hockey in real life you would realize the puck doesn't stay glued to your stick, you don't have a protective shield and you don't have perfect balance.

3 words to success in this tuner - Move the puck

Some players want to be able to skate with their head down, dangle and dispy doodle in the corners but that is not how hockey is played. That will land you flat on your back every time.

I've also not seen any of these players complaining about 1 click dekes though.
  • My issue is not with passing or running into the defense. It should be a turn over EVERYTIME.

My issue is that people can bump you off the puck from behind. That is not 'real hockey'. Heck, that shouldn't even be video game hockey.

The auto stick lifts, since when can you in 'real' hockey stick lift 8 or 9 times in a 2 second time frame and not get a penalty?

Im not arguing because this tuner kills my game. my club was Dec EASHL champs. We dont have any problem playing 'doodle hockey' or 'real' hockey. I am just saying this rollback is a handicap for the weaker players. Im more than excited, that means a new slew of teams will rise up, and my club might actually get a game and not have people blackout against us because they just can't.

Im done with forums tonight, gonna go play some club hockey and adapt to this tuner and await the next one. Cheers!
  • LeFury_27 wrote: »
    It's funny to read players still arguing for one man show offense,

If you want to avoid losing the puck so easily then pass the puck, don't hold on to it too long. I don't know how many times people skate right into the defense and then get mad they lost the puck. If you ever played hockey in real life you would realize the puck doesn't stay glued to your stick, you don't have a protective shield and you don't have perfect balance.

3 words to success in this tuner - Move the puck

Some players want to be able to skate with their head down, dangle and dispy doodle in the corners but that is not how hockey is played. That will land you flat on your back every time.

I've also not seen any of these players complaining about 1 click dekes though.

To be fair, good forwards can still do that. It's just a lot harder than it was so now not everyone can do it. You know, skill gap
  • Pretty sure we’re just being trolled @WainGretSki I watched two nhl games last night for the first time in a while and I’m sticking with all of my original points. If anything calls on stick work have dropped in the couple years since I’ve watched, which is refreshing as things are returning a little more to back when I played. The 2second rule was still in effect and possession bounced back and normally and no one had Velcro on their stick.

I know, obvious statement is obvious

If anything I would say it is substantially easier to hold on to the puck in nhl 19, to the extent that if I was basing my opinion on last nights refresher of the league I would be on here arguing that D are still gimped by poke check too much and that the puck possession is still a bit too locked in.

That said, I think we are in a better place and would be content that where we are right now is a decent compromise.
    All Comments pertain to 6v6 drop in unless otherwise stated..
    My issue is not with passing or running into the defense. It should be a turn over EVERYTIME.

My issue is that people can bump you off the puck from behind. That is not 'real hockey'. Heck, that shouldn't even be video game hockey.

The auto stick lifts, since when can you in 'real' hockey stick lift 8 or 9 times in a 2 second time frame and not get a penalty?

Im not arguing because this tuner kills my game. my club was Dec EASHL champs. We dont have any problem playing 'doodle hockey' or 'real' hockey. I am just saying this rollback is a handicap for the weaker players. Im more than excited, that means a new slew of teams will rise up, and my club might actually get a game and not have people blackout against us because they just can't.

Im done with forums tonight, gonna go play some club hockey and adapt to this tuner and await the next one. Cheers!

Those are not stick lifts triggered by a button press. They are stick-on-stick collisions, or incidental stick contact if you prefer and it is new for this year.
    My issue is not with passing or running into the defense. It should be a turn over EVERYTIME.

Those are not stick lifts triggered by a button press. They are stick-on-stick collisions, or incidental stick contact if you prefer and it is new for this year.

After watching those two games last night, those sounds and actions are fine. Back in the day we used to shoot for 3 stick lifts in a second and usually ended up with 2 & change. But those sticks were wood..or aluminum 🙄

Will say that when all the d1 prep school and college kids came home it felt like a dang sword fight out there lol
  • Pretty sure we’re just being trolled @WainGretSki I watched two nhl games last night for the first time in a while and I’m sticking with all of my original points. If anything calls on stick work have dropped in the couple years since I’ve watched, which is refreshing as things are returning a little more to back when I played. The 2second rule was still in effect and possession bounced back and normally and no one had Velcro on their stick.

If anything I would say it is substantially easier to hold on to the puck in nhl 19, to the extent that if I was basing my opinion on last nights refresher of the league I would be on here arguing that D are still gimped by poke check too much and that the puck possession is still a bit too locked in.

That said, I think we are in a better place and would be content that where we are right now is a decent compromise.

Agreed for the most part. I actually wouldn't mind if incidental contact was slightly toned down. Body checks, stick lifts and poke checks should be completely in our hands so as to make us more accountable for our actions, failures and success. But that's just me.

Agreed for the most part. I actually wouldn't mind if incidental contact was slightly toned down. Body checks, stick lifts and poke checks should be completely in our hands so as to make us more accountable for our actions, failures and success. But that's just me.

I’m kinda saving this for another thread once the fur settles..but I would do away with a lot of the incidentals in favor of having dss the default option and rb/r1 needing to be pressed to initiate checking and body play. Have what feels like a 1-1 thing going on between the right stick and your stick on the ice.

I enjoy fighting for the puck. The more automated that is the less fun it gets. Within reason and all that good stuff.

I’m kinda saving this for another thread once the fur settles..but I would do away with a lot of the incidentals in favor of having dss the default option and rb/r1 needing to be pressed to initiate checking and body play. Have what feels like a 1-1 thing going on between the right stick and your stick on the ice.

I enjoy fighting for the puck. The more automated that is the less fun it gets. Within reason and all that good stuff.

Yea, I agree.
  • VeNOM2099
    3178 posts Member
    edited January 2019
    Pretty sure we’re just being trolled @WainGretSki I watched two nhl games last night for the first time in a while and I’m sticking with all of my original points. If anything calls on stick work have dropped in the couple years since I’ve watched, which is refreshing as things are returning a little more to back when I played. The 2second rule was still in effect and possession bounced back and normally and no one had Velcro on their stick.

The main problem is how do you make DSS be closer to your body for that to be effective? There's no way to extend your stick or poke close to you. Also, remember how attackers used to just skate the puck right through defenders and go on net alone? That's why incidental contact was added. It's not necessarily "automatic" as you have to be in the puck holder's way for it to work. If you just stand still, the puck handler can still get around you if he knows what he's doing. It's not like your d-man is reaching 5 feet away and stealing his puck. Which btw, players on the offense seem to always be reaching for loose pucks, often from behind themselves, even though there's a d-man standing right next to the puck. Besides, I have no sympathy for people complaining about incidental contact, when the solution to their problem is just to PASS THE PUCK!!

I mean, look at this breakout:

jvGSrDr.gif

Does it look like I'm having a problem with incidental contact?

I think the better solution would be to just make body tie-ups easier for d-men so they can use their bodies to keep attackers to the outside. This way they HAVE to be active on defense rather than just stand around and wave their stick and hope it jars the puck loose. But then you'd probably have attackers complaining that defense is even MORE op in clogging up the offense... :/
  • VeNOM2099 wrote: »
    Pretty sure we’re just being trolled @WainGretSki I watched two nhl games last night for the first time in a while and I’m sticking with all of my original points. If anything calls on stick work have dropped in the couple years since I’ve watched, which is refreshing as things are returning a little more to back when I played. The 2second rule was still in effect and possession bounced back and normally and no one had Velcro on their stick.

The main problem is how do you make DSS be closer to your body for that to be effective? There's no way to extend your stick or poke close to you. Also, remember how attackers used to just skate the puck right through defenders and go on net alone? That's why incidental contact was added. It's not necessarily "automatic" as you have to be in the puck holder's way for it to work. If you just stand still, the puck handler can still get around you if he knows what he's doing. It's not like your d-man is reaching 5 feet away and stealing his puck. Which btw, players on the offense seem to always be reaching for loose pucks, often from behind themselves, even though there's a d-man standing right next to the puck. Besides, I have no sympathy for people complaining about incidental contact, when the solution to their problem is just to PASS THE PUCK!!

I mean, look at this breakout:

jvGSrDr.gif

Does it look like I'm having a problem with incidental contact?

I think the better solution would be to just make body tie-ups easier for d-men so they can use their bodies to keep attackers to the outside. This way they HAVE to be active on defense rather than just stand around and wave their stick and hope it jars the puck loose. But then you'd probably have attackers complaining that defense is even MORE op in clogging up the offense... :/

First , yes to the breakout, that's how i play and want too. Grew up on the ice..so ya know..

As far as fleshing this out, its still a work in progress, not really at the make a full post and float the idea phase because moving buttons and the implications etc. But for the sake of conversation!

To how to you handle close things etc. Initially, the resting position should be close making minor R stick movements account for that space with 100% being a full outstretched extension. One could even argue giving control of the upper body in a way that would make you able to appropriately lean into or twist away while cornering. it would be challenging but defiantly introduce more skill to cornering with all sorts of variations and interactions possible. Stick lifts and pokes would still require a button to engage but since you have control of your stick and trunk more hopefully things would work out in ways which made sense.

As far as incidentals go, Im going to defer to you..I think thats something which should be tuned once the rest of the defensive/forechecking skills get fleshed out. A nice little fine control closer to the end making sure balance is good.
  • VeNOM2099
    3178 posts Member
    edited January 2019
    Well, while we're on the subject of "changes" for the better:

https://xboxdvr.com/gamer/thecreasetv/video/68019187

Nothing in this tuner rollback has made the gameplay significantly different. It's still the same rag fest, wiggle the puck, muffins go in, EA NHL hockey we know and "love" from all these years.

So he comes into the zone, dipsy-doodling (because why not) and looses the puck. While my player is in "stopping" animation, the attacker doesn't get penalized for overplaying the puck and magically reaches backwards and corals the puck. 1 point for the Offense.

Once he takes control, he sees I have two players in front of him, so he goes to Sbisa (nice pass). But I see the play developing and try to switch off to Puljujärvi who's in perfect position to cut him off. Except when i try to switch, I get Lucic instead. No issues... Unless Pul... Puljujärvi, what are you doing? Why are you skating AWAY from the player??? Pulju... PULJUJARVI!!!

It's ok... It's ok, I have a D-man coming up from the goalie's right side. Wait... It's not working!! I'm still controlling Lucic! Dammit, hold RT and twitch the RS towards the bottom right quickly. Crap he's shooting, Talbot's got this, right??... Talbot, what are you doing?!? Come out and cut the angle... TALBOT!!

OH FOR PETE'S SAKE!!! WHAT A WEAK GOAL!!! You weren't even screened on that shot!!

Well, at least EA got Talbot right...

Nothing in this tuner rollback has made the gameplay significantly different. It's still the same rag fest, wiggle the puck, muffins go in, EA NHL hockey we know and "love" from all these years.

So he comes into the zone, dipsy-doodling (because why not) and looses the puck. While my player is in "stopping" animation, the attacker doesn't get penalized for overplaying the puck and magically reaches backwards and corals the puck. 1 point for the Offense.

Once he takes control, he sees I have two players in front of him, so he goes to Sbisa (nice pass). But I see the play developing and try to switch off to Puljujärvi who's in perfect position to cut him off. Except when i try to switch, I get Lucic instead. No issues... Unless Pul... Puljujärvi, what are you doing? Why are you skating AWAY from the player??? Pulju... PULJUJARVI!!!

It's ok... It's ok, I have a D-man coming up from the goalie's right side. Wait... It's not working!! I'm still controlling Lucic! Dammit, hold RT and twitch the RS towards the bottom right quickly. Crap he's shooting, Talbot's got this, right??... Talbot, what are you doing?!? Come out and cut the angle... TALBOT!!

OH FOR PETE'S SAKE!!! WHAT A WEAK GOAL!!! You weren't even screened on that shot!!

VS/HUT have all been terrible since the switch from 360. I can't even stomach to play those modes for more than a game or 2. To me, this single player game modes have too many issues that a simple tuner or patch won't be able to fix them.

🤦‍♂️

I understand. ‘15 irked me so bad that I put it down a while too. It just feels as if this is moving into the good enough category. The things it reasonably needs seem attainable. It’s just decision making. A while to go? Sure, but this experiment has been both fun and confidence building. We’ll see where it goes from here.

🤦‍♂️

I understand. ‘15 irked me so bad that I put it down a while too. It just feels as if this is moving into the good enough category. The things it reasonably needs seem attainable. It’s just decision making. A while to go? Sure, but this experiment has been both fun and confidence building. We’ll see where it goes from here.

I got NHL 19 based off friends opinions of the beta. the first month was fun. It felt like hockey, and then it started to drift away to a point where friends of mine considered what EA presented in the Beta and on the cover as false and misleading advertisement. This rollback made the game fun again but it also highlighted the true divide in the community. We have two groups one who feel the power of current gen systems should be used to the full potential to make the most realistic yet fun hockey game we have ever seen and a group who practically wants to keep the status quo we have had for the past ten years. My friends and I stopped playing on a regular basis because the game became so repetitive it just wasn't fun. Playing Defense I felt like I was just there to serve as slight annoyance to the offensive players. I also feel that this divide is also a commentary about those who are willing to work and adapt and those who just want EA to had them their shot of dopamine.
    I have asked in the feedback thread twice what the game plan going forward come 2 AM PST tomorrow morning is. But the fact that no one from EA has commented has me feeling very concerned that this rollback was for show.
    If you see Grammar or Spelling errors. I am starting to experience the long term effects of ten plus concussions.
  • I’m pretty much in the same boat all around.

The statue quo is very confusing to me unless they are somehow making money off of it through things like gamersaloon or something.

Part of me wonders how the tuner @NHLDev had on deck coincides with the feedback of the week. Because I’m with you. Saturday morning is going to be a rusty spork in the temple.

🤦‍♂️

I got NHL 19 based off friends opinions of the beta. the first month was fun. It felt like hockey, and then it started to drift away to a point where friends of mine considered what EA presented in the Beta and on the cover as false and misleading advertisement. This rollback made the game fun again but it also highlighted the true divide in the community. We have two groups one who feel the power of current gen systems should be used to the full potential to make the most realistic yet fun hockey game we have ever seen and a group who practically wants to keep the status quo we have had for the past ten years. My friends and I stopped playing on a regular basis because the game became so repetitive it just wasn't fun. Playing Defense I felt like I was just there to serve as slight annoyance to the offensive players. I also feel that this divide is also a commentary about those who are willing to work and adapt and those who just want EA to had them their shot of dopamine.
    I have asked in the feedback thread twice what the game plan going forward come 2 AM PST tomorrow morning is. But the fact that no one from EA has commented has me feeling very concerned that this rollback was for show.

EA has always stated the plan for after the rollback was to go back to 1.03, incorporate suggestions and eventually come out with 1.04. The fact that no one has said anything means either they haven't changed their mind from what they've already said, or they're thinking about changing their mind and leaving the beta as well. Either way, we can't learn anything from their lack of response

VS/HUT have all been terrible since the switch from 360. I can't even stomach to play those modes for more than a game or 2. To me, this single player game modes have too many issues that a simple tuner or patch won't be able to fix them.

I’d argue EASHL too. Were on the 5th NHL game on Xbox one/PS4 and in all honestly, I haven’t had as much fun as I did on 360. I thought the gameplay was better and worked with less bugs affecting gameplay. (not picking up the puck and passing being ignored and numbed down from old).

As for @VeNOM2099, you would think that moving to new hardware would fix some of the problems the plagued old gen NHL games such as Ai knowing where to be. I tried playing HUT lately. I just can’t do it. How many times my Ai weren’t in position and ignored my passes is nuts.