EA Forums - Banner

I hope you’re having fun!!

Replies

• EpiCxOwNeD wrote: »
    VeNOM2099 wrote: »
    Well, while we're on the subject of "changes" for the better:

https://xboxdvr.com/gamer/thecreasetv/video/68019187

Nothing in this tuner rollback has made the gameplay significantly different. It's still the same rag fest, wiggle the puck, muffins go in, EA NHL hockey we know and "love" from all these years.

So he comes into the zone, dipsy-doodling (because why not) and looses the puck. While my player is in "stopping" animation, the attacker doesn't get penalized for overplaying the puck and magically reaches backwards and corals the puck. 1 point for the Offense.

Once he takes control, he sees I have two players in front of him, so he goes to Sbisa (nice pass). But I see the play developing and try to switch off to Puljujärvi who's in perfect position to cut him off. Except when i try to switch, I get Lucic instead. No issues... Unless Pul... Puljujärvi, what are you doing? Why are you skating AWAY from the player??? Pulju... PULJUJARVI!!!

It's ok... It's ok, I have a D-man coming up from the goalie's right side. Wait... It's not working!! I'm still controlling Lucic! Dammit, hold RT and twitch the RS towards the bottom right quickly. Crap he's shooting, Talbot's got this, right??... Talbot, what are you doing?!? Come out and cut the angle... TALBOT!!

OH FOR PETE'S SAKE!!! WHAT A WEAK GOAL!!! You weren't even screened on that shot!!

Well, at least EA got Talbot right...

VS/HUT have all been terrible since the switch from 360. I can't even stomach to play those modes for more than a game or 2. To me, this single player game modes have too many issues that a simple tuner or patch won't be able to fix them.

I’d argue EASHL too. Were on the 5th NHL game on Xbox one/PS4 and in all honestly, I haven’t had as much fun as I did on 360. I thought the gameplay was better and worked with less bugs affecting gameplay. (not picking up the puck and passing being ignored and numbed down from old).

As for @VeNOM2099, you would think that moving to new hardware would fix some of the problems the plagued old gen NHL games such as Ai knowing where to be. I tried playing HUT lately. I just can’t do it. How many times my Ai weren’t in position and ignored my passes is nuts.

Agreed, these games don't even come close to old gen. Menus are a chore now and the connections have gotten worse etc. There's more bad than good, game was a lot more fun on last gen.
  • NHLDev
    1680 posts EA NHL Developer

Nothing in this tuner rollback has made the gameplay significantly different. It's still the same rag fest, wiggle the puck, muffins go in, EA NHL hockey we know and "love" from all these years.

So he comes into the zone, dipsy-doodling (because why not) and looses the puck. While my player is in "stopping" animation, the attacker doesn't get penalized for overplaying the puck and magically reaches backwards and corals the puck. 1 point for the Offense.

Once he takes control, he sees I have two players in front of him, so he goes to Sbisa (nice pass). But I see the play developing and try to switch off to Puljujärvi who's in perfect position to cut him off. Except when i try to switch, I get Lucic instead. No issues... Unless Pul... Puljujärvi, what are you doing? Why are you skating AWAY from the player??? Pulju... PULJUJARVI!!!

It's ok... It's ok, I have a D-man coming up from the goalie's right side. Wait... It's not working!! I'm still controlling Lucic! Dammit, hold RT and twitch the RS towards the bottom right quickly. Crap he's shooting, Talbot's got this, right??... Talbot, what are you doing?!? Come out and cut the angle... TALBOT!!

OH FOR PETE'S SAKE!!! WHAT A WEAK GOAL!!! You weren't even screened on that shot!!

🤦‍♂️

I understand. ‘15 irked me so bad that I put it down a while too. It just feels as if this is moving into the good enough category. The things it reasonably needs seem attainable. It’s just decision making. A while to go? Sure, but this experiment has been both fun and confidence building. We’ll see where it goes from here.

I got NHL 19 based off friends opinions of the beta. the first month was fun. It felt like hockey, and then it started to drift away to a point where friends of mine considered what EA presented in the Beta and on the cover as false and misleading advertisement. This rollback made the game fun again but it also highlighted the true divide in the community. We have two groups one who feel the power of current gen systems should be used to the full potential to make the most realistic yet fun hockey game we have ever seen and a group who practically wants to keep the status quo we have had for the past ten years. My friends and I stopped playing on a regular basis because the game became so repetitive it just wasn't fun. Playing Defense I felt like I was just there to serve as slight annoyance to the offensive players. I also feel that this divide is also a commentary about those who are willing to work and adapt and those who just want EA to had them their shot of dopamine.
    I have asked in the feedback thread twice what the game plan going forward come 2 AM PST tomorrow morning is. But the fact that no one from EA has commented has me feeling very concerned that this rollback was for show.

EA has always stated the plan for after the rollback was to go back to 1.03, incorporate suggestions and eventually come out with 1.04. The fact that no one has said anything means either they haven't changed their mind from what they've already said, or they're thinking about changing their mind and leaving the beta as well. Either way, we can't learn anything from their lack of response

There will be full Comms coming out to explain exactly what we have done for tomorrow’s update. I was going to wait for those before posting but I know some of you have been waiting.

We received some great feedback and felt that we had a solid core direction to make some changes right away that would move us forward rather than just flip back and have people wait. To do that, people will be downloading a new update to the current rolled back tuner as that was the quickest way we could get an update up with the changes made to the online tuners and also allowing offline players to continue to have the flexibility they have had thus far to use any of the previous tuners along with their own personal tweaks/settings.

From there, with more time to digest detailed feedback as well as see more of the game played with this next tuner, we will be able to move to a 1.04 in the future with any revisions that would also be able to be used offline.

I will wait to speak to details until after the Comms for the tuner have gone up.
  • NHLDev wrote: »

🤦‍♂️

I understand. ‘15 irked me so bad that I put it down a while too. It just feels as if this is moving into the good enough category. The things it reasonably needs seem attainable. It’s just decision making. A while to go? Sure, but this experiment has been both fun and confidence building. We’ll see where it goes from here.

I got NHL 19 based off friends opinions of the beta. the first month was fun. It felt like hockey, and then it started to drift away to a point where friends of mine considered what EA presented in the Beta and on the cover as false and misleading advertisement. This rollback made the game fun again but it also highlighted the true divide in the community. We have two groups one who feel the power of current gen systems should be used to the full potential to make the most realistic yet fun hockey game we have ever seen and a group who practically wants to keep the status quo we have had for the past ten years. My friends and I stopped playing on a regular basis because the game became so repetitive it just wasn't fun. Playing Defense I felt like I was just there to serve as slight annoyance to the offensive players. I also feel that this divide is also a commentary about those who are willing to work and adapt and those who just want EA to had them their shot of dopamine.
    I have asked in the feedback thread twice what the game plan going forward come 2 AM PST tomorrow morning is. But the fact that no one from EA has commented has me feeling very concerned that this rollback was for show.

EA has always stated the plan for after the rollback was to go back to 1.03, incorporate suggestions and eventually come out with 1.04. The fact that no one has said anything means either they haven't changed their mind from what they've already said, or they're thinking about changing their mind and leaving the beta as well. Either way, we can't learn anything from their lack of response

There will be full Comms coming out to explain exactly what we have done for tomorrow’s update. I was going to wait for those before posting but I know some of you have been waiting.

We received some great feedback and felt that we had a solid core direction to make some changes right away that would move us forward rather than just flip back and have people wait. To do that, people will be downloading a new update to the current rolled back tuner as that was the quickest way we could get an update up with the changes made to the online tuners and also allowing offline players to continue to have the flexibility they have had thus far to use any of the previous tuners along with their own personal tweaks/settings.

From there, with more time to digest detailed feedback as well as see more of the game played with this next tuner, we will be able to move to a 1.04 in the future with any revisions that would also be able to be used offline.

I will wait to speak to details until after the Comms for the tuner have gone up.

I just saw the latest post on the changes. It sounds amazing!!! I am very excited to try it out. Thank you so much for listening us!! 😄😄😄

VS/HUT have all been terrible since the switch from 360. I can't even stomach to play those modes for more than a game or 2. To me, this single player game modes have too many issues that a simple tuner or patch won't be able to fix them.

I’d argue EASHL too. Were on the 5th NHL game on Xbox one/PS4 and in all honestly, I haven’t had as much fun as I did on 360. I thought the gameplay was better and worked with less bugs affecting gameplay. (not picking up the puck and passing being ignored and numbed down from old).

As for @VeNOM2099, you would think that moving to new hardware would fix some of the problems the plagued old gen NHL games such as Ai knowing where to be. I tried playing HUT lately. I just can’t do it. How many times my Ai weren’t in position and ignored my passes is nuts.

Eh... Like I said, I don't play this game anymore. It's just not... fun. I like to play hockey, move the puck around, make plays. I like to play 5 man defense with my team. When I play goalie, I want to backstop my team and help them have a chance at winning the game.

None of that is possible because the game is made to cater to the "elites" who want to score 10 goals every period because "they took a shot from really good scoring spot", not that they actually made a great play and worked for their scoring chance. Nah, that doesn't matter. The same people that don't want randomness like broken sticks or injuries, but they're totally fine with unscreened muffins somehow beating the goalie clean. It's made to cater to juveniles that feel the need to t-bag you because they're up 1-0 on a random goal your own AI slam-dunked into his own net, or take the puck behind his net and waste time. So Elite, dude!

That said, I'm done being angry at this game. It's not worth it, which is why I tried to make light of that whole "clip" I posted. It's just so funny when you look at it. I thought, if I was Steve Dangle, how would I describe the play in that clip? LOL!!! ;)
  • LiveDoggy wrote: »
    My issue is not with passing or running into the defense. It should be a turn over EVERYTIME.

My issue is that people can bump you off the puck from behind. That is not 'real hockey'. Heck, that shouldn't even be video game hockey.

The auto stick lifts, since when can you in 'real' hockey stick lift 8 or 9 times in a 2 second time frame and not get a penalty?

Im not arguing because this tuner kills my game. my club was Dec EASHL champs. We dont have any problem playing 'doodle hockey' or 'real' hockey. I am just saying this rollback is a handicap for the weaker players. Im more than excited, that means a new slew of teams will rise up, and my club might actually get a game and not have people blackout against us because they just can't.

Im done with forums tonight, gonna go play some club hockey and adapt to this tuner and await the next one. Cheers!

Those are not stick lifts triggered by a button press. They are stick-on-stick collisions, or incidental stick contact if you prefer and it is new for this year.

Oh its most certainly an auto stick lift...if it wasnt then why does the player make a stick lift animation when you dont tap the button to perform said action. Best part is, when it happens its usually when you have great body position to lay a check, but your guy goes for the auto lift instead and whiffs. Now your opponent who is down buy one goal skates in free and clear scores a nice short side ched glitch to tie the game because the game made the decision for me to auto stick lift instead of letting me perform the check I was performing when I pushed the joystick.
  • GiveMeDaPuck
    300 posts Member
    edited January 2019
    EpiCxOwNeD wrote: »

I still get a ton of enjoyment from EASHL, but I only play 6s. I've enjoyed each game on this gen to varying degrees, and I think each year they've made some progress. For my personal tastes, 19 is the best game they've put out in years 6s wise. I'm excited to see what this new tuner has in store for us as we head down the homestretch and hopefully it's a great core to start from for nhl 20

I still get a ton of enjoyment from EASHL, but I only play 6s. I've enjoyed each game on this gen to varying degrees, and I think each year they've made some progress. For my personal tastes, 19 is the best game they've put out in years 6s wise. I'm excited to see what this new tuner has in store for us as we head down the homestretch and hopefully it's a great core to start from for nhl 20

For all the hate this game gets...it really shines when playing 6 on 6.
    With human players.
    The most fun I’ve had with it since next gen for sure.
    I have to applauded the devs @NHLDev for staying active...listening to us and trying to make it fun...fair and balanced with SO MANY different opinions.
  • WFWR26 wrote: »
    LiveDoggy wrote: »
    My issue is not with passing or running into the defense. It should be a turn over EVERYTIME.

My issue is that people can bump you off the puck from behind. That is not 'real hockey'. Heck, that shouldn't even be video game hockey.

The auto stick lifts, since when can you in 'real' hockey stick lift 8 or 9 times in a 2 second time frame and not get a penalty?

Im not arguing because this tuner kills my game. my club was Dec EASHL champs. We dont have any problem playing 'doodle hockey' or 'real' hockey. I am just saying this rollback is a handicap for the weaker players. Im more than excited, that means a new slew of teams will rise up, and my club might actually get a game and not have people blackout against us because they just can't.

Im done with forums tonight, gonna go play some club hockey and adapt to this tuner and await the next one. Cheers!

Those are not stick lifts triggered by a button press. They are stick-on-stick collisions, or incidental stick contact if you prefer and it is new for this year.

Oh its most certainly an auto stick lift...if it wasnt then why does the player make a stick lift animation when you dont tap the button to perform said action. Best part is, when it happens its usually when you have great body position to lay a check, but your guy goes for the auto lift instead and whiffs. Now your opponent who is down buy one goal skates in free and clear scores a nice short side ched glitch to tie the game because the game made the decision for me to auto stick lift instead of letting me perform the check I was performing when I pushed the joystick.

There are no auto stick lifts. Those are stick on stick collisions.
  • KidShowtime1867
    1449 posts Member
    edited January 2019
    While my player is in "stopping" animation

xTuLyzP.png

Your player was shifting momentum from backwards to forwards - there was no 'stopping' animation.
    But I see the play developing and try to switch off to Puljujärvi who's in perfect position to cut him off. Except when i try to switch, I get Lucic instead.

I don't believe you switched because you saw the play developing, you switched because the play was already taking place and you were scrambling to adjust. (You didn't switch to Lucic until after the pass was made and Sbisa already had you beat)

In that scramble - despite you being very knowledgeable about player switching and the way a player is selected due to proximity to puck carrier - you claim that you intended to select Puljujarvi despite the fact that he was further from the puck carrier than Lucic.

So although your implication is that the player selection incorrectly gave you control of Lucic - you were correctly given control of the player closest to the puck, which is by design.

Had you utilized manual RS switching, you likely could've taken control of Puljujarvi no problem.

No issues... Unless Pul... Puljujärvi, what are you doing? Why are you skating AWAY from the player??? Pulju... PULJUJARVI!!!

He was covering for the RD that stepped up to the zone entry which I believe is a REAL problem for A.I. It seems their priority is to cover abandoned positions vs defending the current threat. You have a point with this aspect of the clip.

ruJ7Mvx.png

Had you maintained proper positioning and faced the play for the duration of it's unfolding, you maybe would've been able to defend this better.

IMO, had you utilized DSS at this frame, you would've been in a position to fade Sbisa to the goalie's left towards the half boards:

fH1Letg.png

But instead you were quite passive with Lucic and you had AMPLE amount of frames to select Puljarvi to try to recover his abandonment of the slot - but you seemed to have already given in to being 'EA'd' rather than reacting to what was unfolding in a quick enough manner.

XJQdPzT.png

Since when is 6-8ft directly in front and square with the goalie while there's an active battle to his right considered a WEAK goal??

I still have fun with the games now but not as much as on old gen. I just felt like we had more control over our actions and decisions when it comes to gameplay. IMO, things like the puck pickup or animations aren’t need and ruin the flow as I can’t control my player until the animation is over or sometimes I completely miss the puck. Things like passing were better imo. If I pressed RT to pass lightly, it would send a light pass. Now when I press it lightly, it can send a howitzer and my teammate who is close can miss it. I won’t go on more about it, but that’s a just a sample.

I still have fun with the games now but not as much as on old gen. I just felt like we had more control over our actions and decisions when it comes to gameplay. IMO, things like the puck pickup or animations aren’t need and ruin the flow as I can’t control my player until the animation is over or sometimes I completely miss the puck. Things like passing were better imo. If I pressed RT to pass lightly, it would send a light pass. Now when I press it lightly, it can send a howitzer and my teammate who is close can miss it. I won’t go on more about it, but that’s a just a sample.

Would love to read your opinion...but a wall of text hurts my eyes.

Would love to read your opinion...but a wall of text hurts my eyes.

That’s kinda why i stopped there. I didn’t want to pump out an essay over the internet to a game forum.
  • WainGretSki
    3660 posts Member
    edited January 2019

Yea I don't know. I tend to agree that old gen was more fun, but then I think back to NHL 14 and it kinda goes sour. Defense was a joke that year. TPS was a turnoff for me.

19 has been more fun with RPM, but that went sour as soon as 1.03 landed. Killed the game for me right there. 15-18 were horrendous for me and not fun at all.

I also hate seamless puck pickups. I find them much more intrusive than useful. Being pulled through with my momentum is not always what I want to do when I do pick up the puck and you can't do anything until the animation plays out. Huge no-no for me in that regard. When it comes to just picking up a puck, it is extremely rare I get issues. I never circle and dance around a puck wondering why my guy won't pick it up. It has happened on a few occasions though where my player just skates right on by the puck and simply won't move his stick to pick it up.

The passing system has changed a bit in the sense that you rarely need to charge up a pass. They are more vivid compared to old gen. As for you just tapping the pass button and getting a howitzer, sounds like lag to me. I hardly ever lag and this has never happened to me. Really do suspect connection issues there.
  • EpiCxOwNeD
    629 posts Member
    edited January 2019

Yea I don't know. I tend to agree that old gen was more fun, but then I think back to NHL 14 and it kinda goes sour. Defense was a joke that year. TPS was a turnoff for me.

19 has been more fun with RPM, but that went sour as soon as 1.03 landed. Killed the game for me right there. 15-18 were horrendous for me and not fun at all.

I also hate seamless puck pickups. I find them much more intrusive than useful. Being pulled through with my momentum is not always what I want to do when I do pick up the puck and you can't do anything until the animation plays out. Huge no-no for me in that regard. When it comes to just picking up a puck, it is extremely rare I get issues. I never circle and dance around a puck wondering why my guy won't pick it up. It has happened on a few occasions though where my player just skates right on by the puck and simply won't move his stick to pick it up.

The passing system has changed a bit in the sense that you rarely need to charge up a pass. They are more vivid compared to old gen. As for you just tapping the pass button and getting a howitzer, sounds like lag to me. I hardly ever lag and this has never happened to me. Really do suspect connection issues there.

Agree with the seamless puck pick ups. I don’t ever have much problems just regularly picking up the puck, it’s just those animations that make me miss the puck.

I think when whey shifted to Xbox One/PS4, they changed the passing system. I remember on old gen a pass too hard for you teammate close and he would not catch the puck. If press RT very lightly, it was an extremely soft pass. Now I can’t get the same soft speed I once did. I don’t think its a connection issue (maybe it is.) i rarely ever lag in games. I think they should add lower speed passes if the button is pressed lightly. When I play and I’m in the corners and went to send a pass to a teammate close, it can be a little too fast.

If I play some hut games or whatever I’ll see if I can get some videos about the passing in the corners.

Agree with the seamless puck pick ups. I don’t ever have much problems just regularly picking up the puck, it’s just those animations that make me miss the puck.

I think when whey shifted to Xbox One/PS4, they changed the passing system. I remember on old gen a pass too hard for you teammate close and he would not catch the puck. If press RT very lightly, it was an extremely soft pass. Now I can’t get the same soft speed I once did. I don’t think its a connection issue (maybe it is.) i rarely ever lag in games. I think they should add lower speed passes if the button is pressed lightly. When I play and I’m in the corners and went to send a pass to a teammate close, it can be a little too fast.

If I play some hut games or whatever I’ll see if I can get some videos about the passing in the corners.

Yea I'd be interested in seeing some videos if you ever get some.

I have noticed a similar trend in the passing.

It seems you can get this same result with saucer pass, but it takes some good timing on the button press.

I’ll try my best.

I’ll try my best.

https://xboxdvr.com/gamer/epicxowned/video/68092109

First pass I held the button pass very light for short time to insure that Taransenko would retrieve the pass. Instead he misses the pass

The pass Taransenko misses nearly becomes an icing. I beat the icing and noticed that Tarasenko is all alone and going to nearest post to me. I tap pass and it send a fast one and Tarasenko misses it. Maybe he missed it not only because it was a fast pass but because when and how he turned his body as the pass came.
  • EpiCxOwNeD
    629 posts Member
    edited January 2019
    https://xboxdvr.com/gamer/epicxowned/video/68092548

Late game. Meaningless I know. I tap RT and sent a pass to fast for my teammate. I know I couldn’t stretched the pass to one of the players on the boards, but I’m showing here when I want light pass, it would send a strong one instead.

I see this in real NHL games from time to time.
    Post edited by EpiCxOwNeD on
  • https://xboxdvr.com/gamer/epicxowned/video/68092940

My plan here was to hit the guy in the middle and sent it a saucer to the net. I guess in the end it almost got me a goal