EA Forums - Banner

Gameplay Updates Based on Beta Tuner Rollback Feedback

Replies

• All I want to do is sit down and play Nhl Online Vs but it is just beyond frustrating.. Bad defensive play is rewarded.. All people do is stand there with stick out.. Dekes are inconsistent and not rewarded enough....

Other teams defense spams spoke check to one side and there is an open gap for me to exploit with speed but hes still able to turn the other way and then nudge or bump me off the puck at the last second..

My own Ai does a better job of preventing my zone entries by standing there and blocking the blue line

It seems like your own Ai is just designed to work against you

• Bmh245 wrote: »
    Greyinsi wrote: »
    Goalie rebound control is now trash. The A.I makes weird decisions, they skate to loose puck, but half way to puck they decide against it.

The AI has been terrible about reacting to loose pucks (at least when on defense) all year - the new tuner didn't change anything about that.

As for rebound control, most people think it's improved, since it seemed really bad in the beta. I bet it hasn't changed at all, and people are just imagining that it's worse or better based on a small sample size.

There's no satisfying such people. Tuner is barely out and people are already making bold statements on how it sucks or what have you after like a game or 2. It's laughable. Yes the game has issues and they're well documented on these forums. People like this are why we can't have nice things.
    BlahQz - Owner of WikkiD6 - PS4
  • New tuner is out.

I've played 2 games and there's definitely been some changes, but for the most part the 'feel' of the 1.00 tuner is still there and I think many will be happy.

Luckily - the place I work is closed today due to cold, so I'll try to capture some gifs of things I find odd or things that are working well!

Is the physical play similar to last night? How heavily toned down is it?

Physical play still feels good and dynamic. Maybe even more so - but I'm only a couple of games in.

There's still lots of jostling for the puck, incidental contact and body positioning are still of utmost importance.

I'm getting caught in tripping calls with DSS. I'm adjusting there but I think it's in a good place.

The A.I. has made some interesting decisions but I can't tell if that is a cause of the tuner or not. I'll try to grab some clips. But in one instance, I had a forechecker who was offside continue his path to the net after I regained possession in the neutral zone.

Sounds cool. Can't wait to try it out.

Thanks for the feedback bro :tongue:
  • had an issue last night regarding the camera in THREES, I had it to Dynamic Low and it changed to the Action cam, and I couldn't change it back. First time this has happened.
  • NHLDev
    1680 posts EA NHL Developer
    had an issue last night regarding the camera in THREES, I had it to Dynamic Low and it changed to the Action cam, and I couldn't change it back. First time this has happened.

Did it happen right at the start of the game? Or mid game?

If mid game, any details on exactly what was going on could help us track it down.

Every other game after that has worked fine?
  • prlmo86 wrote: »
    All people do is stand there with stick out.. Dekes are inconsistent and not rewarded enough....

Ah, these tears taste so sweet.
    All I want to do is sit down and play Nhl Online Vs but it is just beyond frustrating.. Bad defensive play is rewarded.. All people do is stand there with stick out.. Dekes are inconsistent and not rewarded enough....

Other teams defense spams spoke check to one side and there is an open gap for me to exploit with speed but hes still able to turn the other way and then nudge or bump me off the puck at the last second..

My own Ai does a better job of preventing my zone entries by standing there and blocking the blue line

Really.....

I guess we are not playing the same game.
    All I want to do is sit down and play Nhl Online Vs but it is just beyond frustrating.. Bad defensive play is rewarded.. All people do is stand there with stick out.. Dekes are inconsistent and not rewarded enough....

Have you tried passing to those ai blocking the blue line? Honestly sounds like you're just trying to skate as a one man show, while your ai are attempting to be a part of the break out.
  • Blass982
    3 posts New member
    The current tuner (Jan 29 19) is the absolute worst piece of garbage I've ever played with (which leads me to believe it's 1.02). There is positively nothing a person can do to prevent the opponent from skating straight up the middle of the ice, wagging his stick back on forth--or, even less realistically, loose-puck dekeing the whole way into the offensive zone. You can't bump him off the puck because you can't hit him hard enough; if you do hit him hard enough, you get a charging penalty. You can't poke check the puck because the defender acts like a wild animal and just chucks his stick out in any direction, and even when it's right on the puck, of course it's a trip. You can't lift his stick, because how could you? You can't crouch to block him from skating right up the middle of the ice because he loose-puck dekes around you.

This is a joke. There has never been a player in the modern NHL who can skate straight up the middle of the ice with two defenders in front of him and never lose control of the poke. Any bump should cause him to lose his momentum or the puck. More importantly, the idiot AI defenders just stand there and watch, skating backwards. It's 2-on-1 with 2 defenders. One should be stepping up and hitting him while the other shades over to the skater and takes the puck away. This. is. ridiculous.

Have you tried passing to those ai blocking the blue line? Honestly sounds like you're just trying to skate as a one man show, while your ai are attempting to be a part of the break out.

There are situations when passing is the right move to make but sometimes when the other teams Ai defender is two feet from them..passing is out of the question.. So my Ai just stand there and purpously get in the way..I shouldnt be forced to dump the puck in every time
  • Sometimes you have no pass outlets and you just have to one man show it but because of the complainers on this board you just cant.. i see the dusty players I play against at pickup hockey have better control then this game allows

Defense in this game is not hard.. Just skate backwards and poke like everybody else does
  • Yeah well, the short-side bug wrister is back big time... why EA, why? :s

The play doesn't otherwise seem all that different really, you can't spam stick-lift anymore, and have to be more careful with it. That's about it. Connections have been mostly a little laggy, so it's hard to say anything more than that.
  • NHLDev
    Sgt_Kelso wrote: »
    Yeah well, the short-side bug wrister is back big time... why EA, why? :s

The play doesn't otherwise seem all that different really, you can't spam stick-lift anymore, and have to be more careful with it. That's about it. Connections have been mostly a little laggy, so it's hard to say anything more than that.

Nothing was tuned back in that would impact how goalies challenge the puck carrier compared to the previous rollback tuner.
  • Perhaps it's the competition or the tuner, but it's glitch short side and spam sticklift en masse ( HUT ). Chel was solid though.
  • Sgt_Kelso
    1325 posts Member
    edited January 2019
    NHLDev wrote: »

Nothing was tuned back in that would impact how goalies challenge the puck carrier compared to the previous rollback tuner.

Be that as it may, but during the beta rollback I saw only one goal that might have been described as that bug-wrister. And today alone we were lit up three times in a single game, because our left d-man didn't block the shot lane. He had gotten used to not having to do that, you see?

• NHLDev

Be that as it may, but during the beta rollback I saw only one goal that might have been described as that bug-wrister. And today alone we were lit up three times in a single game, because our left d-man didn't block the shot lane. He had gotten used to not having to do that, you see?

Fair enough. Was the player a sniper? Do you have clips?
  • Sgt_Kelso wrote: »

It's not like you couldn't score on short-side wristers during the rollback. Goalies were better against them than they were under 1.03, but at least in HUT, the glide to the middle/shoot high against the grain move definitely worked.

• NHLDev wrote: »

Frankly, I didn't pay attention. I think more than one player tried it during the game, but we finally got on top of the situation. Not that it helped by that time.

We dont' as a rule, save our club games for clips.

But I will try and remember to save some clips if this seems epidemic again.

• NHLDev

Frankly, I didn't pay attention. I think more than one player tried it during the game, but we finally got on top of the situation. Not that it helped by that time.

We dont' as a rule, save our club games for clips.

But I will try and remember to save some clips if this seems epidemic again.
    General rule for me would be to be confident your goalie has it if the puck is to the outside (ie righty down right side) but if they are driving in with the puck exposed to the middle, the angle to shoot at more of the net gets exponentially worse the more to the middle they are and since the forehand is exposed, a defender should take that away and get a stick in there and disrupt it.

If they have the puck to the outside and it’s truely short side, you can hold body position rather than trying to reach across their body and trust your goalie has the angle more until they really cut in a lot more.
  • I am a VS/HUT only player. I am not a fan of the new tuner.

I thought the beta rollback tuner was perfect and I was finally enjoying the game again.

It's back to stick-curl wiggle-bubbling, and one man show hockey. It's still a little better than 1.03, but it's much closer to that than the experimental tuner.

I had my fun for a week, but it's time for me to step away from this series. I just don't enjoy this style and we always seem to end up back here.

GG all.

“If you only knew the magnificence of the 3, 6 and 9, then you would have the key to the universe.” - Nikola Tesla