EA Forums - Banner

Gameplay Updates Based on Beta Tuner Rollback Feedback

Replies

• jiajji wrote: »
    I would like to see the removal of the face off trait in EASHL. Make every skater have the same face off rating please like it’s been for all of next gen.

Having to use a trait to be able to win faceoffs consistenly is basically the same thing as old gen when we were forced to use one build over another because of the rating caps, it just handcuffs us into using it and we as centers get the shaft from having to waste a trait slot on it.

It would be fine if you could play the counters and maybe win a few toss ups but that is not the case when you are facing a player with the trait and you yourself do not have it. Add the connection quality favoring the other guy and you will be lucky to win 20-30 percent of the draws if you are not just tying the player up every faceoff drop.

I'm 60% on the year with various builds and no added trait, I think it has more to do with the connection so I'd never waste the slot. Have good timing, know which attempts give you an advantage and most importantly have a good connection. That's how it seems to shake out anyway.

I agree it’s probably mostly connection related because in the real beta I could win toss ups against guys with the trait but now it just seems like I can’t win a single toss up draw against anyone with it on. I can play the counters all game and be somewhat succesful but it gets kind of predictable.

I agree with Jiajji, it is just timing. The trait barely matters, I never use it either. The better the connection + the timing that you need to find to consistently beat the other C = win more often than not. You can also mix in psychology as well if you wanna dig deep into the game that is faceoffs lol

BlahQz - Owner of WikkiD6 - PS4
  • BlahQGhozT wrote: »
    jiajji wrote: »
    I would like to see the removal of the face off trait in EASHL. Make every skater have the same face off rating please like it’s been for all of next gen.

Having to use a trait to be able to win faceoffs consistenly is basically the same thing as old gen when we were forced to use one build over another because of the rating caps, it just handcuffs us into using it and we as centers get the shaft from having to waste a trait slot on it.

It would be fine if you could play the counters and maybe win a few toss ups but that is not the case when you are facing a player with the trait and you yourself do not have it. Add the connection quality favoring the other guy and you will be lucky to win 20-30 percent of the draws if you are not just tying the player up every faceoff drop.

I'm 60% on the year with various builds and no added trait, I think it has more to do with the connection so I'd never waste the slot. Have good timing, know which attempts give you an advantage and most importantly have a good connection. That's how it seems to shake out anyway.

I agree it’s probably mostly connection related because in the real beta I could win toss ups against guys with the trait but now it just seems like I can’t win a single toss up draw against anyone with it on. I can play the counters all game and be somewhat succesful but it gets kind of predictable.

I agree with Jiajji, it is just timing. The trait barely matters, I never use it either. The better the connection + the timing that you need to find to consistently beat the other C = win more often than not. You can also mix in psychology as well if you wanna dig deep into the game that is faceoffs lol

Agreed. The face-off trait gives a minute advantage that I consider pointless. Timing and the right moves are definitely the way to go.
  • Any chance injuries can be removed from online play? Three games in a row and someone is injured. I love that hitting is more consistant but so many injuries.
  • WainGretSki
    3660 posts Member
    edited January 2019
    flyextacy wrote: »
    Any chance injuries can be removed from online play? Three games in a row and someone is injured. I love that hitting is more consistant but so many injuries.

EA dev told me injuries would not be removed as it is a penalty for holding on to the puck until the last second. The more you do it, the more likely you'll get injured. There's also a trait boost for resisting injuries. I have to say, I agree with him. Yes I know some cases you get the puck and barely have time to react, but what can you do.
  • EA_Roger wrote: »

Thank you
  • flyextacy wrote: »
    Any chance injuries can be removed from online play? Three games in a row and someone is injured. I love that hitting is more consistant but so many injuries.

EA dev told me injuries would not be removed as it is a penalty for holding on to the puck until the last second. The more you do it, the more likely you'll get injured. There's also a trait boost for resisting injuries. I have to say, I agree with him. Yes I know some cases you get the puck and barely have time to react, but what can you do.

It's too rng based for a competitive mode. I didnt notice it happening as much in previous tuners. The logic makes sense but we arnt playing sim so not sure why its necessary.
  • flyextacy wrote: »

Nothing is more satisfying as laying out some LT Bruhs Crosby,Kane, etc With Big Buff or even better when you take one of them out and they quit the game
  • Blass982
    3 posts New member
    edited February 2019
    [quote="Kriptical476;c-2044350"][quote="Blass982;c-2044314"]

The [lack of] interference calls are [b]awful.[/b] The only thing that even slightly resembles how bad the interference calls are is the icing. I don't know how many icings I have beaten (or vice-versa) that were called icing instead. I've only experienced one where I clearly beat the offensive player back and it was not called icing, as opposed to the number of times I've beaten the defender. The other glitch with icing is when the puck rings the whole way around and goes back up the boards past the faceoff dot, yet it's not called when the defender touches the puck--only once the defender gets to dot.[/quote]

What are you seeing in that first clip specifically to make an interference call?[/quote]

--The fact that a player is going back to get the puck and is cut off by the defender and contacted (as opposed to just slowed up by the defender getting in his way--which, in reality, is also interference and is routinely called by NHL refs--is interference.

That being said, I saved a clip of an even more egregious interference play that happened to me tonight. If it didn't seem like a 4-hour process in order to cut the clip and turn it into a GIF to share, I could certainly do so.
    Post edited by EA_Roger on
  • TheMajjam
    794 posts Member
    edited February 2019
    So I mentioned earlier in the thread about hitting feeling different between beta tuner and new tuner, and I think EA said that there was no change. There were also a few people saying that I was crazy. Just got on and first game I got a few examples. Here's one. In my opinion, this wouldn't happen in the beta tuner. Dude probably would have lost the puck with being hit just by incidental contact alone. This goes hand in hand with skaters now being able to rag the puck the whole length of the ice ignoring hits, going through people, beating stick-on-stick incidental and never losing the puck.

Anyone else think I'm crazy? I think the protective wall is back.

nJxFXoA.gif

• TheMajjam wrote: »
    So I mentioned earlier in the thread about hitting feeling different between beta tuner and new tuner, and I think EA said that there was no change. There were also a few people saying that I was crazy. Just got on and first game I got a few examples. Here's one. In my opinion, this wouldn't happen in the beta tuner. Dude probably would have lost the puck with being hit just by incidental contact alone. This goes hand in hand with skaters now being able to rag the puck the whole length of the ice ignoring hits, going through people, beating stick-on-stick incidental and never losing the puck.

nJxFXoA.gif

Your guy looks small. What was your build and your hitting skill? What was his size and build?

You took him into the wall, you didn't just slide off
  • Bmh245 wrote: »
    GxSwizz wrote: »
    Anyway goalies are more aggressive and slower than before when recovering from a shot.

Ridiculous - you're literally just saying this based on an incredibly small sample size. Other people are saying that the tuner has dramatically improved goalies' rebound control and made them better against short-side snipes. You're all just imagining things. Just look at the tuner notes.

I played 10 games yesterday. That's enough to know how bad goalies play. I didn't just come up with this crap out of thin air. Oh Short side snipes are toned down? How about the 5 I scored one game because the other player couldn't switch to the right guy to defend the rush. How about the time I passed the puck on a 3 on 2 to the right forward across then to the high slot and shot to the left where the goalie wasn't because he slid out of the blue challenging my right forward. So instead of earning the short side shooting position, just throw it at the net and watch the goalie do something illogical.

There were times where I purposely shoot at the pads for a rebound that sat in the blue and my player was able to poke it into a gaping net because the goalie just sat there staring at the puck. This may happen a lot faster than it sounds but if the goalie just sits there in butterfly when he should smother the puck it just looks off and unrealistic. Goalies go out to challenge a shot and get hit square in the chest the puck does a weird bobble. Up, down, behind him, doesn't matter the goalie flails, and more often than not bats the thing into the net or sweeps it in. I can't go in there to retrieve it for him or even try to because it will get worse because of incidental contact and puck control. I'm not down with how it all works together to make scoring higher but on the basis of crap. Try and play comp seasons like this against LT exploiters and Legend teams. No explicit chance of defending everything they'll throw at you. I would at least like my goalie to be in position, smothering pucks, and refraining from slapping a puck into my own net.

My goalie in HUT is 87 J-S Gigueire. After the tuner he turned into 89 Andy Moog. He used to hold position and recover from shots nicely. Not super aggressive, but enough to give him a chance to at least get a block or stick on. Now he makes that big stick save the odd time but other times he tries it where it is unnecessary and is scored on. Or he makes the save and he sits on his **** out of ideal position for a few too long.

This is definitely not the way games should be decided by. I'm quitting this game until issues are fixed.
  • Its impossible to backhand-forehand shot short side if you are close to the goalie what happend this year?
    The only time i was able to do that was during the beta tuner week and i was very happy for the 1st time since release. now and since september everytime i try this i finish with a backhand shot its ridiculus i never had this problem in every past nhl games. do you even try your game?
  • TheMajjam
    794 posts Member
    edited February 2019
    TheMajjam wrote: »

nJxFXoA.gif

Your guy looks small. What was your build and your hitting skill? What was his size and build?

You took him into the wall, you didn't just slide off

I'll take a look and see what my numbers are, but you've got to be kidding me if you're going to use size as a defense. It doesn't matter if he's 6'2 and I'm 5'7. The point of contention here is not just being able to not make the guy stumble, but the puck retention as well. Despite my size, what you're seeing here is not how physics work.

If you want the defense to struggle with hitting guys like this (and it's even worse when the play is slow and skaters are moving slowly) because they're smaller, the forward should take some penalty as well. Being BIG should NOT exclude big players from taking hits from smaller players. Especially if they're coming right at each other. What should NEVER happen here also is the player being hit retaining the puck. Not only does he retain the puck, he managers to somehow keep churning his feet to get by me, then his stick/puck goes through another streaking guy, and might as well forget about shoves from behind. The guy doesn't even think about a pass until he managers to durr his way through the whole team. As if he's the size of Chara, is able to be nimble like Crosby, with puck control hands like McDavid.

This is what I, as a defenseman, was wanting the game to get away from. The beta tuner was great for defense, as it was the offense. It rewarded me for good position, and it rewarded forwards for better team play. You know, like real hockey.

What you see up there is what I see in the former 1.03 tuner and that's not hockey.
  • Blass982 wrote: »
    Blass982 wrote: »

The [lack of] interference calls are awful. The only thing that even slightly resembles how bad the interference calls are is the icing. I don't know how many icings I have beaten (or vice-versa) that were called icing instead. I've only experienced one where I clearly beat the offensive player back and it was not called icing, as opposed to the number of times I've beaten the defender. The other glitch with icing is when the puck rings the whole way around and goes back up the boards past the faceoff dot, yet it's not called when the defender touches the puck--only once the defender gets to dot.

What are you seeing in that first clip specifically to make an interference call?

--The fact that a player is going back to get the puck and is cut off by the defender and contacted (as opposed to just slowed up by the defender getting in his way--which, in reality, is also interference and is routinely called by NHL refs--is interference.

That being said, I saved a clip of an even more egregious interference play that happened to me tonight. If it didn't seem like a 4-hour process in order to cut the clip and turn it into a GIF to share, I could certainly do so.

I can only tell you how things were from the nhl down when I played. Nothing about that offends my sensibilities to the degree it should be a penalty.

Did look it up and while the definition has grown considerably this seems the relevant part

—A defending player who changes his skating lane or foot speed in an effort to play the body of an opponent who is no longer in possession and control of the puck.

Which all seems fine. Just not with ya on this bud.
    All Comments pertain to 6v6 drop in unless otherwise stated..
  • GxSwizz wrote: »
    Bmh245 wrote: »
    GxSwizz wrote: »
    Anyway goalies are more aggressive and slower than before when recovering from a shot.

Ridiculous - you're literally just saying this based on an incredibly small sample size. Other people are saying that the tuner has dramatically improved goalies' rebound control and made them better against short-side snipes. You're all just imagining things. Just look at the tuner notes.

I played 10 games yesterday. That's enough to know how bad goalies play. I didn't just come up with this crap out of thin air. Oh Short side snipes are toned down? How about the 5 I scored one game because the other player couldn't switch to the right guy to defend the rush. How about the time I passed the puck on a 3 on 2 to the right forward across then to the high slot and shot to the left where the goalie wasn't because he slid out of the blue challenging my right forward. So instead of earning the short side shooting position, just throw it at the net and watch the goalie do something illogical.

There were times where I purposely shoot at the pads for a rebound that sat in the blue and my player was able to poke it into a gaping net because the goalie just sat there staring at the puck. This may happen a lot faster than it sounds but if the goalie just sits there in butterfly when he should smother the puck it just looks off and unrealistic. Goalies go out to challenge a shot and get hit square in the chest the puck does a weird bobble. Up, down, behind him, doesn't matter the goalie flails, and more often than not bats the thing into the net or sweeps it in. I can't go in there to retrieve it for him or even try to because it will get worse because of incidental contact and puck control. I'm not down with how it all works together to make scoring higher but on the basis of crap. Try and play comp seasons like this against LT exploiters and Legend teams. No explicit chance of defending everything they'll throw at you. I would at least like my goalie to be in position, smothering pucks, and refraining from slapping a puck into my own net.

My goalie in HUT is 87 J-S Gigueire. After the tuner he turned into 89 Andy Moog. He used to hold position and recover from shots nicely. Not super aggressive, but enough to give him a chance to at least get a block or stick on. Now he makes that big stick save the odd time but other times he tries it where it is unnecessary and is scored on. Or he makes the save and he sits on his **** out of ideal position for a few too long.

This is definitely not the way games should be decided by. I'm quitting this game until issues are fixed.

All your complaints can be summed up by poor defending.

It's the D's job to take away that shot.

It's the D's job to clear the rebound out of the crease.

Goalies are unchanged from the rollback to the new tuner.
  • I'm ranked in the 200's in online versus. Last weekend I thought the gameplay, defense, passing, etc. was the best it's ever been. The only problem was the goalies were too good and would stop every breakaway, point blank one-timer etc.

I just got done playing the new tuner and I have to say it's pretty atrocious (no offense to the devs). I can no longer cycle the puck in the offensive zone using smart passes and it's now a one-man show where players that can't pass can just dangle through multiple defenders to set up endless cheese goals (cross crease one-timers and short-side, high glove shots). My passing percentage is also way down (used to be at least 80% per game). On defense, the poke check now seems completely ineffective or causes me to take a penalty and the only effective move to take the puck away from an opposing player seems to be a soft check from behind. I actually find myself trying to get the puck away from the superhero whose stick it's glued to by actively looking for a way to get behind him rather than do what an actual hockey player would do.

I really appreciate the developers trying to improve the game but this pretty much ruins it for me. Please change back to the version that was in effect at 1/26/19 (not sure the version number) with slightly lesser goalie attributes and I think it's perfect.
  • > @TheMajjam said:
    > So I mentioned earlier in the thread about hitting feeling different between beta tuner and new tuner, and I think EA said that there was no change. There were also a few people saying that I was crazy. Just got on and first game I got a few examples. Here's one. In my opinion, this wouldn't happen in the beta tuner. Dude probably would have lost the puck with being hit just by incidental contact alone. This goes hand in hand with skaters now being able to rag the puck the whole length of the ice ignoring hits, going through people, beating stick-on-stick incidental and never losing the puck.
    >
    > Anyone else think I'm crazy? I think the protective wall is back.

This is spot on and sums up how the game is ruined for me with this patch.
  • Eddie_Shore1793
    4 posts Member
    edited February 2019
    > @TheMajjam said:
    > GOW_LIKE_A_BOSS wrote: »
    >
    > TheMajjam wrote: »
    >
    > So I mentioned earlier in the thread about hitting feeling different between beta tuner and new tuner, and I think EA said that there was no change. There were also a few people saying that I was crazy. Just got on and first game I got a few examples. Here's one. In my opinion, this wouldn't happen in the beta tuner. Dude probably would have lost the puck with being hit just by incidental contact alone. This goes hand in hand with skaters now being able to rag the puck the whole length of the ice ignoring hits, going through people, beating stick-on-stick incidental and never losing the puck.
    >
    > Anyone else think I'm crazy? I think the protective wall is back.
    >
    > Your guy looks small. What was your build and your hitting skill? What was his size and build?
    >
    > You took him into the wall, you didn't just slide off

I'll take a look and see what my numbers are, but you've got to be kidding me if you're going to use size as a defense. It doesn't matter if he's 6'2 and I'm 5'7. The point of contention here is not just being able to not make the guy stumble, but the puck retention as well. Despite my size, what you're seeing here is not how physics work.
    >
    > If you want the defense to struggle with hitting guys like this (and it's even worse when the play is slow and skaters are moving slowly) because they're smaller, the forward should take some penalty as well. Being BIG should NOT exclude big players from taking hits from smaller players. Especially if they're coming right at each other. What should NEVER happen here also is the player being hit retaining the puck. Not only does he retain the puck, he managers to somehow keep churning his feet to get by me, then his stick/puck goes through another streaking guy, and might as well forget about shoves from behind. The guy doesn't even think about a pass until he managers to durr his way through the whole team. As if he's the size of Chara, is able to be nimble like Crosby, with puck control hands like McDavid.
    >
    > This is what I, as a defenseman, was wanting the game to get away from. The beta tuner was great for defense, as it was the offense. It rewarded me for good position, and it rewarded forwards for better team play. You know, like real hockey.
    >
    > What you see up there is what I see in the former 1.03 tuner and that's not hockey.

The beta tuner was the closest to real hockey this game has ever been. The new tuner is an insult to hockey.
    Post edited by EA_Roger on
  • TheMajjam wrote: »

nJxFXoA.gif

thank you...echoes what I've been seeing...regardless of builds, according to @NHLDev nothing was changed in regards to player builds or hitting...beta tuner that's at the very least a loose puck, as it should be. its happening way to frequently again.

great video
  • GxSwizz
    64 posts Member
    edited February 2019

All your complaints can be summed up by poor defending.

It's the D's job to take away that shot.

It's the D's job to clear the rebound out of the crease.

Goalies are unchanged from the rollback to the new tuner.

You totally just going to ignore the part where I said I would go in there to pick up the puck but that wuld do more damge than good. Puck pickups are a crapshoot when it comes to bobbles in crowds or in this case by the goalie. You also going to ignore the part where I can't defend properly because player switching got flubbed somewhere in the tuner past week. Instead of switching to the weak side defender on the opponent's rush the game decided to switch between a back checker and the player beat wide. Because that will happen to anyone, not just a bad player from time to time. I'm not a bad player as you so would assume. I'd even play you in HUT to prove my point.

I didn't even mention the part where defenders are programmed not to take action despite having the proper position. You're telling me I managed to forget how to play hockey in the past week, nothing to do with the tuner. I'm 28 and have enjoyed this Franchise since I was 8 with NHL 99. I am experienced and know the mechanics of the game. This is nothing like how the game should be played.

It honestly sounds like you recieved a benefit from this tuner and don't debate based on the facts. You rather place the onus on me to adjust to a game that adds random chance in where it shouldn't. Random=/= Player Skill.