EA Forums - Banner

Gameplay Updates Based on Beta Tuner Rollback Feedback

Replies

  • GiveMeDaPuck
    300 posts Member
    edited February 2019
    TheMajjam wrote: »
    TheMajjam wrote: »
    So I mentioned earlier in the thread about hitting feeling different between beta tuner and new tuner, and I think EA said that there was no change. There were also a few people saying that I was crazy. Just got on and first game I got a few examples. Here's one. In my opinion, this wouldn't happen in the beta tuner. Dude probably would have lost the puck with being hit just by incidental contact alone. This goes hand in hand with skaters now being able to rag the puck the whole length of the ice ignoring hits, going through people, beating stick-on-stick incidental and never losing the puck.

    Anyone else think I'm crazy? I think the protective wall is back.

    nJxFXoA.gif



    Your guy looks small. What was your build and your hitting skill? What was his size and build?

    You took him into the wall, you didn't just slide off

    I'll take a look and see what my numbers are, but you've got to be kidding me if you're going to use size as a defense. It doesn't matter if he's 6'2 and I'm 5'7. The point of contention here is not just being able to not make the guy stumble, but the puck retention as well. Despite my size, what you're seeing here is not how physics work.

    If you want the defense to struggle with hitting guys like this (and it's even worse when the play is slow and skaters are moving slowly) because they're smaller, the forward should take some penalty as well. Being BIG should NOT exclude big players from taking hits from smaller players. Especially if they're coming right at each other. What should NEVER happen here also is the player being hit retaining the puck. Not only does he retain the puck, he managers to somehow keep churning his feet to get by me, then his stick/puck goes through another streaking guy, and might as well forget about shoves from behind. The guy doesn't even think about a pass until he managers to durr his way through the whole team. As if he's the size of Chara, is able to be nimble like Crosby, with puck control hands like McDavid.

    This is what I, as a defenseman, was wanting the game to get away from. The beta tuner was great for defense, as it was the offense. It rewarded me for good position, and it rewarded forwards for better team play. You know, like real hockey.

    What you see up there is what I see in the former 1.03 tuner and that's not hockey.

    exactly man....great posts, and exactly the type of plays I've been trying to convey the past few days. we've been told nothing was changed regarding player attributes being the cause, nothing changed with hitting, nothing changed with skating...so what's the excuse that this Is once again a plague to gameplay?

    as I've also said before, this has nothing to do with me being bad, I now know I just need to rely solely on my stick as a pmd, which is fine it's just boring. its reverted closer back to the previous tuner 1.03 which is just way less fun than I had with the beta tuner.
  • I'm ranked in the 200's in online versus. Last weekend I thought the gameplay, defense, passing, etc. was the best it's ever been. The only problem was the goalies were too good and would stop every breakaway, point blank one-timer etc.

    I just got done playing the new tuner and I have to say it's pretty atrocious (no offense to the devs). I can no longer cycle the puck in the offensive zone using smart passes and it's now a one-man show where players that can't pass can just dangle through multiple defenders to set up endless cheese goals (cross crease one-timers and short-side, high glove shots). My passing percentage is also way down (used to be at least 80% per game). On defense, the poke check now seems completely ineffective or causes me to take a penalty and the only effective move to take the puck away from an opposing player seems to be a soft check from behind. I actually find myself trying to get the puck away from the superhero whose stick it's glued to by actively looking for a way to get behind him rather than do what an actual hockey player would do.

    I really appreciate the developers trying to improve the game but this pretty much ruins it for me. Please change back to the version that was in effect at 1/26/19 (not sure the version number) with slightly lesser goalie attributes and I think it's perfect.

    Exactly^ This one guy in here keeps saying it's a player's fault when the game works against you at every corner. It made it easy to defend cycles by just controlling a centre and protecting the net with your collapsing defenders. No pass, no shot, just superhuman like picks of passes, walls of defenders, and losing the puck for no apparent reason at times. No reason to cycle the puck. Just shoot the puck into that crowd of players and hope the goalie stupidly flails and the defenders take a chance at picking it up and losing it into their net.
  • GxSwizz wrote: »

    All your complaints can be summed up by poor defending.

    It's the D's job to take away that shot.

    It's the D's job to clear the rebound out of the crease.

    Goalies are unchanged from the rollback to the new tuner.

    You totally just going to ignore the part where I said I would go in there to pick up the puck but that wuld do more damge than good. Puck pickups are a crapshoot when it comes to bobbles in crowds or in this case by the goalie. You also going to ignore the part where I can't defend properly because player switching got flubbed somewhere in the tuner past week. Instead of switching to the weak side defender on the opponent's rush the game decided to switch between a back checker and the player beat wide. Because that will happen to anyone, not just a bad player from time to time. I'm not a bad player as you so would assume. I'd even play you in HUT to prove my point.

    I didn't even mention the part where defenders are programmed not to take action despite having the proper position. You're telling me I managed to forget how to play hockey in the past week, nothing to do with the tuner. I'm 28 and have enjoyed this Franchise since I was 8 with NHL 99. I am experienced and know the mechanics of the game. This is nothing like how the game should be played.

    It honestly sounds like you recieved a benefit from this tuner and don't debate based on the facts. You rather place the onus on me to adjust to a game that adds random chance in where it shouldn't. Random=/= Player Skill.

    Of course puck pickups are a crap shoot.
    Hockey is a crapshoot my dude.....sounds like instead of 50/50...you want 90/10 in your favor

  • Of course puck pickups are a crap shoot.
    Hockey is a crapshoot my dude.....sounds like instead of 50/50...you want 90/10 in your favor

    Oh you mean I shouldn't be able to pick up a puck sitting in front of the goalie without worrying about if he moves and knocks it in. You don't think anyone should be able to change to the player they know is the logical choice. You don't think the AI should make an effort to defend instead of just position themselves. Positioning that doesn't make sense in some cases? This goes both ways. I've both won and lost games to chance. I only sit there and think that's not cool. I've had conversations with several people playing the game about how the game ended in a random way instead of feeling like we made a difference to the outcome of the game.
  • Playing in highly competitive matchups with this current tuner makes you want to pull out your hair because of how it has to be played to minimize the AIs stupidity. Anyone who likes this wants to add randomness to an otherwise competitively balanced game.
  • The AI is the same for everyone...so if you choose to play with all AI...you’re on a level playing field with your opponent.
  • GxSwizz
    64 posts Member
    edited February 2019
    The problem is that it's out of your hands in some instances because of the settings in place. I'd rather be able to control how a game plays not have the game crap on my effort. Anyways I'm going to link the game I'm in right now how you have to play with this tuner and how bad it is at the high levels.
  • GxSwizz wrote: »
    The problem is that it's out of your hands in some instances because of the settings in place. I'd rather be able to control how a game plays not have the game crap on my effort. Anyways I'm going to link the game I'm in right now how you have to play with this tuner and how bad it is at the high levels.

    Of course its out of your hands in a team game environment.

    If you want it in your hands at all times...you’ll have to play a game like Mortal Kombat...or UFC
  • Yeah because it's enjoyable to watch your team crumble because AI don't do their job or at least make an effort.
  • This is a game's worth of goals from Late November before Beta 1.03



    A game from today



    I don't know if this is the wrong way to post video, please show me or tell me how.
  • CupCrazyMania
    16 posts Member
    edited February 2019
    Ty_Hors wrote: »
    UPDATE JANUARY 28: The tuner is now live. Thank you for your patience.

    UPDATE JANUARY 25: Late last night we caught an issue with one of the tuner changes not working properly and have postponed the release of it. We will provide more details when we get them.

    Hey everyone,

    First and foremost, thank you everyone for providing feedback regarding the Beta Tuner rollback. We received a significant amount of feedback from the entire community and have taken that feedback in as we work on our next tuner to help make the gameplay better for everyone.

    While we have been hard at work collecting and digesting all the feedback from the surveys and written responses, we have also been working on getting the next tuner ready so we can get it in game as soon as possible.

    We’re excited to announce that the next tuner update will be coming on January 28th at 02:00 AM PST/05:00 AM EST! The tuner will be built directly off of the feedback we received from the past two weeks. In order for us to do this quickly, you will once again see it as an update to Tuner 1.03 as we are first making the updates to online modes only, just as we did for the rollback. Entering any online experience, you will be asked to redownload that tuner to get the changes for the online modes. These tuner changes are only available for online modes.

    We will continue to monitor gameplay with this new foundation and will eventually put up a 1.04 tuner with final tuning that will be able to be used Offline as well.

    First and foremost, this new tuner update will use the Beta Tuner (v1.00) as the foundation for gameplay. When going through the feedback, a lot of people preferred the core gameplay aspects of v1.00 especially related to both skating and hitting.

    With Tuner v1.00 as the foundation, we will be making the following adjustments to align with feedback we received:
    • AI skaters will not perform defensive actions against active puck carriers
      • The Beta Tuner Rollback allowed this for the first 2-4 frames, which is why people saw the change in the AI
      • Note: the AI will maintain their skating aggression and positioning from the roll back as people preferred it as opposed to the past gameplay tuner
    • AI skaters will not commit penalties in Online VS or HUT
    • Reduced the chance ai skaters will put the puck over the glass for delay of game penalties in World of Chel
    • Added back in the forehand stick lift faceoff win speed increase
    • Added in the fix to the energy regained at the whistle so that we see more realistic rolling of lines
      • Many players commented that they felt they were able to stack their lines to use their top players more frequently, which provided less of a realistic experience.
    • Tuning fixes for AI Goalie logic for when to play the puck out of their net
      • Sometimes goalies were getting a little too aggressive; this will help prevent that
    • Added back in consistency for user goalies to transition to post hug at extreme facing directions
    • Tuned back in the penalty logic changes around trips
    • Tuned back in the pokecheck accuracy improvements
    • Split the difference on the stick lift penalty tuning so it will be between Tuner 1.00 and Tuner 1.03
      • A majority of the community mentioned that while stick lifts were too strong in the Beta Tuner, they were also causing too many penalties in 1.03 which made them less effective. This change should help find the proper balance for them.
    • Added back in puck pickup tuning fixes
    • Tuning out dropped and broken sticks again in online modes
    • Added back in the tuning to increase loose puck deke success
    • Tuned back in the changes to lower goalies’ ability to react to passes as quickly when they aren’t reading pass
    • Tuned back in fix to lower assistance on goalie passes
    • Finally, we split the difference between Tuner 1.00 and Tuner 1.03 on the incidental puck loss distance tuning but keeping the low relative speed hitting tuning from 1.00
      • This will help address the complaints we saw in Tuner 1.03 around players being unable to bump players off the puck at low speeds in the corner, but reduce the amount of incidental contact puck loss that we also saw complaints about from Tuner 1.00

    Again, we thank you for your constructive feedback in forums, on Twitter, and in messages. The detailed feedback we saw along with the video clips we received allowed us to understand and address the issues to help make the game better.

    We’re excited for you to get your hands on the new update and we look forward to seeing your feedback on it!

    -The EA SPORTS NHL team

    Whats the bolded one ??? No love for your offline Players????
    no Tuner 1.04?
  • flyextacy wrote: »
    Any chance injuries can be removed from online play? Three games in a row and someone is injured. I love that hitting is more consistant but so many injuries.

    EA dev told me injuries would not be removed as it is a penalty for holding on to the puck until the last second. The more you do it, the more likely you'll get injured. There's also a trait boost for resisting injuries. I have to say, I agree with him. Yes I know some cases you get the puck and barely have time to react, but what can you do.

    Nothing is more satisfying as laying out some LT Bruhs Crosby,Kane, etc With Big Buff or even better when you take one of them out and they quit the game

    Yea!
  • TheMajjam wrote: »
    TheMajjam wrote: »
    So I mentioned earlier in the thread about hitting feeling different between beta tuner and new tuner, and I think EA said that there was no change. There were also a few people saying that I was crazy. Just got on and first game I got a few examples. Here's one. In my opinion, this wouldn't happen in the beta tuner. Dude probably would have lost the puck with being hit just by incidental contact alone. This goes hand in hand with skaters now being able to rag the puck the whole length of the ice ignoring hits, going through people, beating stick-on-stick incidental and never losing the puck.

    Anyone else think I'm crazy? I think the protective wall is back.

    nJxFXoA.gif



    Your guy looks small. What was your build and your hitting skill? What was his size and build?

    You took him into the wall, you didn't just slide off

    I'll take a look and see what my numbers are, but you've got to be kidding me if you're going to use size as a defense. It doesn't matter if he's 6'2 and I'm 5'7. The point of contention here is not just being able to not make the guy stumble, but the puck retention as well. Despite my size, what you're seeing here is not how physics work.

    If you want the defense to struggle with hitting guys like this (and it's even worse when the play is slow and skaters are moving slowly) because they're smaller, the forward should take some penalty as well. Being BIG should NOT exclude big players from taking hits from smaller players. Especially if they're coming right at each other. What should NEVER happen here also is the player being hit retaining the puck. Not only does he retain the puck, he managers to somehow keep churning his feet to get by me, then his stick/puck goes through another streaking guy, and might as well forget about shoves from behind. The guy doesn't even think about a pass until he managers to durr his way through the whole team. As if he's the size of Chara, is able to be nimble like Crosby, with puck control hands like McDavid.

    This is what I, as a defenseman, was wanting the game to get away from. The beta tuner was great for defense, as it was the offense. It rewarded me for good position, and it rewarded forwards for better team play. You know, like real hockey.

    What you see up there is what I see in the former 1.03 tuner and that's not hockey.

    Agreed. He should not have retained the puck on that check.
  • GxSwizz wrote: »

    All your complaints can be summed up by poor defending.

    It's the D's job to take away that shot.

    It's the D's job to clear the rebound out of the crease.

    Goalies are unchanged from the rollback to the new tuner.

    You totally just going to ignore the part where I said I would go in there to pick up the puck but that wuld do more damge than good. Puck pickups are a crapshoot when it comes to bobbles in crowds or in this case by the goalie. You also going to ignore the part where I can't defend properly because player switching got flubbed somewhere in the tuner past week. Instead of switching to the weak side defender on the opponent's rush the game decided to switch between a back checker and the player beat wide. Because that will happen to anyone, not just a bad player from time to time. I'm not a bad player as you so would assume. I'd even play you in HUT to prove my point.

    I didn't even mention the part where defenders are programmed not to take action despite having the proper position. You're telling me I managed to forget how to play hockey in the past week, nothing to do with the tuner. I'm 28 and have enjoyed this Franchise since I was 8 with NHL 99. I am experienced and know the mechanics of the game. This is nothing like how the game should be played.

    It honestly sounds like you recieved a benefit from this tuner and don't debate based on the facts. You rather place the onus on me to adjust to a game that adds random chance in where it shouldn't. Random=/= Player Skill.

    I ignored all that stuff because it wasn't even peripherally touched by the tuner. No one received a benefit from this tuner, because it's 99% the same.
  • GxSwizz wrote: »
    Yeah because it's enjoyable to watch your team crumble because AI don't do their job or at least make an effort.

    I'll agree with this. I wish AI hadn't been disabled. That did change with the new tuner, though they couldn't do much in beta rollback either. I personally think "skill zoning" is a perfectly legitimate strategy. Corralling the forward and herding him to your AI is definitely a skill, and that strategy shouldn't have been removed. The AI effectiveness needed to be turned down just a bit, they shouldn't have been disabled entirely.
  • bilzy33
    1 posts New member
    Great tuner...only things I'd change as a start:

    1. The AI positioning is too aggressive, which allows for skill zone usage to be rampant throughout CS.
    2. Increase the energy recovery between shifts to allow less tired players by the past 5-7 minutes of any period.
  • bilzy33 wrote: »
    Great tuner...only things I'd change as a start:

    1. The AI positioning is too aggressive, which allows for skill zone usage to be rampant throughout CS.
    2. Increase the energy recovery between shifts to allow less tired players by the past 5-7 minutes of any period.

    Agree the with skill zoning and every game I played felt like a sword fight with the spamming of the stick lift
  • bilzy33 wrote: »
    Great tuner...only things I'd change as a start:

    1. The AI positioning is too aggressive, which allows for skill zone usage to be rampant throughout CS.
    2. Increase the energy recovery between shifts to allow less tired players by the past 5-7 minutes of any period.

    Agree the with skill zoning and every game I played felt like a sword fight with the spamming of the stick lift

    Stick lifts actually in a pretty good place. My only real complaint is that it’s attatched to protect puck which can lead to penalties instead of fighting for the puck...but what can you do. The buttons have been the buttons for a while.
    All Comments pertain to 6v6 drop in unless otherwise stated..
  • bilzy33 wrote: »
    Great tuner...only things I'd change as a start:

    1. The AI positioning is too aggressive, which allows for skill zone usage to be rampant throughout CS.
    2. Increase the energy recovery between shifts to allow less tired players by the past 5-7 minutes of any period.

    I think energy recovery is close. Probably 5% short of where it needs to be. Before the last patch it was too forgiving.
  • bilzy33 wrote: »
    Great tuner...only things I'd change as a start:

    1. The AI positioning is too aggressive, which allows for skill zone usage to be rampant throughout CS.
    2. Increase the energy recovery between shifts to allow less tired players by the past 5-7 minutes of any period.

    The AI can literally do nothing except skate next to your player and stand there. What more do you want? Would you like them to be unmoving pylons incapable of even skating? There is no skill zone left. It has been completely eradicated due to the endless complaints of people who can't play offense.
Sign In or Register to comment.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!