EA Forums - Banner

New Tuner Experience After The Beta

Prev13
Jetset95
430 posts Member
edited January 2019
If you don't want to hear me complaining then stop reading now, go and get a coffee, and if you're an elite player have fun in NHL19...

If, like me, you hated the beta tuner - in particular the 'bumps' and the stick lifting then please read on...

I was excited to play my first game this morning after downloading the new tuner. I had found the beta tuner to be terribly frustrating - inaccurate passing, crazy goaltenders going walkabout as though in the Australian Outback, dekes not working (at least not as often as they used to, anyway) but worst of all. By far, the worst of all, were the bumps, and incidental contact, combined with people spamming stick lift to get the puck off you.

I described the beta experience as one of puck pinball - never knowing where the puck would end up next if another skater was anywhere near you but somehow I managed to win a few games against ranked opponents and the experience wasn't too distressing - knowing that it would be rolled back to 1.3 after a week or so.

How wrong could I be? I played 6 games today: 3 HUT Champs qualifiers (which since I started to play them I've always qualified apart from one time where scores were exceptionally high) and 3 CS games.

From the point that the original 1.3 tuner hit I've been winning slightly more online games then I lost - slowly pulling my average closer to .500 after the early months of getting beaten regularly by better players with better teams the my own.

Today? 0-6-0.

I'll caveat this first by saying that 5 of those 6 opponents were Division 1 (or former Division 1) players with Tim Horton legend in their defence. I do slightly less well against stronger opponents like that, but still would expect to win one in three. My combined score in those 5 games was 3 to 15. I've had Mike Gartner for a while - I used to be able to score. I've had Al Macinnis not as long, but taking shots wasn't ever really an issue.

In this combined 5 games I took a total of 23 shots. That's abysmal. I didn't change anything at home, same controller, same Xbox, same team, same hardwired high speed internet connection.

What didn't change from the beta, but did from 1.3?

The bumps, and the stick lifting.

Puck pinball isn't quite right anymore, as the 'incidental contact' has been removed apparently. But, especially playing top players (maybe top 1000 say if they've been in Division 1 on Xbox) this tuner certainly favoured my opponent more than me. They were able to get the puck off me almost at will.

I'm not sure why a player with 99 rated puck handling, 99 rated eye to hand coordination, 99 rated balance , 99 rated strength would loose the puck when someone skates near them - not hitting them, but bumping into them. Can anyone explain that? I can't.

I can understand that you needed to find a way to control the L2 abuse we've observed in the E-sports events and on Twitch lately. And I agree - having an effective way to release the puck from someone dancing the Sugar Plum Fairy routine in HUT is desirable. But that same method cannot be valid to remove the puck from a 99 Mario or 95 McDavid who are skating in a straight line in full control of the puck.

How would Wayne Gretzky have scored nearly 3000 points in his career if every time he entered the offensive zone he lost the puck because a back check skated past him and brushed his back? Check the highlights online if you have't seen The Great One bamboozle the great defences of yesterday. He didn't loose the puck too often when he had it on his tape. Why should he in HUT?

Let me put this another way. You released NHL early with the beta tuner. I played the game a day after launch and it wasn't the same game I played all last week. The tuner had been updated for launch I assume, and the bumps were gone. Why?

I didn't buy the game to be harassed and knocked off the puck every second of the game. It's not realistic. If you took the bumps and stick lifting out of the beta in September, please take it out again in January. For NHL20 you can, I'm sure, find a way of allowing bumps like that to impact people over-using L2 to spin around the zone all game. Just make sure they don't knock 6'8" guys who are skating in a straight line off the puck every time as well please.

I want to continue to really enjoy this game. I've invested a lot of time into it. I will literally get the Chris Chelios Legend tomorrow for opening 400 free reward packs. I don't want to add him to my HUT team only to retire the whole franchise because the game is unplayable for average guys like me.

A well known European NHL elite streamer on Twitch said today that the current tuner favoured the better players. I'm pretty sure you didn't want that did you EA?
Post edited by Jetset95 on

Replies

• NHLDev
    1680 posts EA NHL Developer
    edited January 2019
    Jetset95 wrote: »
    If you don't want to hear me complaining then stop reading now, go and get a coffee, and if you're an elite player have fun in NHL19...

If, like me, you hated the beta tuner - in particular the 'bumps' and the stick lifting then please read on...

I was excited to play my first game this morning after downloading the new tuner. I had found the beta tuner to be terribly frustrating - inaccurate passing, crazy goaltenders going walkabout as though in the Australian Outback, dekes not working (at least not as often as they used to, anyway) but worst of all. By far, the worst of all, were the bumps, and incidental contact, combined with people spamming stick lift to get the puck off you.

I described the beta experience as one of puck pinball - never knowing where the puck would end up next if another skater was anywhere near you but somehow I managed to win a few games against ranked opponents and the experience wasn't too distressing - knowing that it would be rolled back to 1.3 after a week or so.

How wrong could I be? I played 6 games today: 3 HUT Champs qualifiers (which since I started to play them I've always qualified apart from one time where scores were exceptionally high) and 3 CS games.

From the point that the original 1.3 tuner hit I've been winning slightly more online games then I lost - slowly pulling my average closer to .500 after the early months of getting beaten regularly by better players with better teams the my own.

Today? 0-6-0.

I'll caveat this first by saying that 5 of those 6 opponents were Division 1 (or former Division 1) players with Tim Horton legend in their defence. I do slightly less well against stronger opponents like that, but still would expect to win one in three. My combined score in those 5 games was 3 to 15. I've had Mike Gartner for a while - I used to be able to score. I've had Al Macinnis not as long, but taking shots wasn't ever really an issue.

In this combined 5 games I took a total of 23 shots. That's abysmal. I didn't change anything at home, same controller, same Xbox, same team, same hardwired high speed internet connection.

What didn't change from the beta, but did from 1.3?

The bumps, and the stick lifting.

Puck pinball isn't quite right anymore, as the 'incidental contact' has been removed apparently. But, especially playing top players (maybe top 1000 say if they've been in Division 1 on Xbox) this tuner certainly favoured my opponent more than me. They were able to get the puck off me almost at will.

I'm not sure why a player with 99 rated puck handling, 99 rated eye to hand coordination, 99 rated balance , 99 rated strength would loose the puck when someone skates near them - not hitting them, but bumping into them. Can anyone explain that? I can't.

I can understand that you needed to find a way to control the L2 abuse we've observed in the E-sports events and on Twitch lately. And I agree - having an effective way to release the puck from someone dancing the Sugar Plum Fairy routine in HUT is desirable. But that same method cannot be valid to remove the puck from a 99 Mario or 95 McDavid who are skating in a straight line in full control of the puck.

How would Wayne Gretzky have scored nearly 3000 points in his career if every time he entered the offensive zone he lost the puck because a back check skated past him and brushed his back? Check the highlights online if you have't seen The Great One bamboozle the great defences of yesterday. He didn't loose the puck too often when he had it on his tape. Why should he in HUT?

Let me put this another way. You released NHL early with the beta tuner. I played the game a day after launch and it wasn't the same game I played all last week. The tuner had been updated for launch I assume, and the bumps were gone. Why?

I didn't buy the game to be harassed and knocked off the puck every second of the game. It's not realistic. If you took the bumps and stick lifting out of the beta in September, please take it out again in January. For NHL20 you can, I'm sure, find a way of allowing bumps like that to impact people over-using L2 to spin around the zone all game. Just make sure they don't knock 6'8" guys who are skating in a straight line off the puck every time as well please.

I want to continue to really enjoy this game. I've invested a lot of time into it. I will literally get the Chris Chelios Legend tomorrow for opening 400 free reward packs. I don't want to add him to my HUT team only to retire the whole franchise because the game is unplayable for average guys like me.

A well known European NHL elite streamer on Twitch said today that the current tuner favoured the better players. I'm pretty sure you didn't want that did you EA?

Of course we want that. The goal of having a big skill gap will always be the most important thing in competitive play. But with our matchmaking we should be putting you against players of even skill — but if you play HUT Champs you are potentially playing the best players and not in a more controlled even matchmaking environment as it’s the most competitive HUT mode.

We want the game to resemble hockey and to reward smart team play. We don’t want the mechanics to drive a player keeping control of the puck regardless of what they do, we want that to be in the hands of the player in control. The difference with your real world Gretzky example is that you weren’t controlling him. He has the attributes to make him physically capable of doing more than a player with lower attributes but in different hands, you can get vastly different results. If that wasn’t the case, we wouldn’t be giving players the level of control needed to have a skill gap.

A lot of players feel the same way as you so you aren’t alone. It is easy to blame the game as then nobody has to take accountability other than the game but if you look out there at games being played people have mastered different mechanics. Those very elite players have mastered the majority of them. In their hands, that Gretzky would be deadly.

The changes we made were to give players as much control as possible but to tip the meta back towards a game style that better represented hockey with more puck movement required. Even when you lose the puck to incidental contact or you get shoved off the puck, you can pick it back up and those higher attribute players have quicker ability to do that.

That Gretzky guy was a pretty good passer too so don’t base everything on him just keeping the puck. But remember your personal awareness takes over for his real world vision. The only way for him to play like real world Gretzky for everyone would be for him to also make all the input choices for you as well and then it wouldn’t be a twitch experience at all.

And with all that said, we are obviously here and making changes and updates for a reason. We always want to improve the product. But when people talk about mechanics being broken or what tuning has done, we want to make sure our players take personally accountability over improving as well.
    Post edited by NHLDev on
  • To @NHLDev - thank you for your considered reply. I appreciate you taking the time to respond, but after reading it through twice perhaps I didn't explain myself properly: I would not complain about losing the puck to valid poke or stick lift or if I was bumped whilst in the midst of a more complex move which intrinsically meant less control over the puck. I've been vocal on this forum cautioning people from complaining about ice tilt when they lost (and every other reason that should be banned from ever making the forums in my opinion).

What I'm struggling with is 95 to 99 rated players losing control of the puck to minor contact when they are under no other duress; or giant 6'8" defenders with thighs like tree trunks suffering the same from 5'9" Point Guards. If Gretzky, Orr, Hull, Lemieux or fast forward; McDavid couldn't keep the puck while skating in a straight like and keep their skates moving they wouldn't score half as many goals or be in a position to make half as many passes as they did for assists.

The elite Twitch streamer I mentioned was good enough to show me his strategy to avoid getting bumped off the puck: It was to spin both his left and right analogue stick to keep the stick and puck away from the contact. At low speed, having already made the offensive zone using extensive L2 vision control to prevent pokes and stick lifts.

I believe this is what you describe above as "the mechanics to drive a player keeping control of the puck..., we want that to be in the hands of the player in control but if the only way to keep control of the puck is to put your ballet shoes on and dance around the rink that isn't hockey.

I'm aware that I'm taking one discrete example and over generalising and simplifying it for my purpose, for that I apologise; but I'm not suggesting that I, or anyone (apart from, perhaps, McDavid) is channeling The Great One and I certainly don't expect to score 200 points in a HUT campaign let alone nearly 1000 goals - I know I'm not that good. But I've watched enough hockey at both the elite NHL level and the much lower European leagues to know that I've never seen so much puck pinball as I have on my monitor in the last 10 days.

I didn't see that in previous tuner versions and that's not what I bought to play. So, as this is only occurring in the beta version and updated version of the tuner I hope you understand I can only 'blame the game' as this is the only thing that has changed.

Since you mention it, I would love to know how matchmaking can link my record (less than .500 as I said above) and on my second attempt to crack Division 3 regularly to Division 1 players (Tim Horton legend on D) and, recently, more than half of those with five times more online wins that I've achieved because they have Terry Sawchuk legend in goal. I won't mention the two teams I've played who had 97 Owen Nolan as well.

In HUT Champs that's fair enough, but in CS and Divisions (the D1 opponents started in Div 5 if I remember correctly) should that be happening?

Thanks again for your valuable and knowledgable input to the forums. We would be much worse off without your insight.
  • NHLDev
    To @NHLDev - thank you for your considered reply. I appreciate you taking the time to respond, but after reading it through twice perhaps I didn't explain myself properly: I would not complain about losing the puck to valid poke or stick lift or if I was bumped whilst in the midst of a more complex move which intrinsically meant less control over the puck. I've been vocal on this forum cautioning people from complaining about ice tilt when they lost (and every other reason that should be banned from ever making the forums in my opinion).

What I'm struggling with is 95 to 99 rated players losing control of the puck to minor contact when they are under no other duress; or giant 6'8" defenders with thighs like tree trunks suffering the same from 5'9" Point Guards. If Gretzky, Orr, Hull, Lemieux or fast forward; McDavid couldn't keep the puck while skating in a straight like and keep their skates moving they wouldn't score half as many goals or be in a position to make half as many passes as they did for assists.

The elite Twitch streamer I mentioned was good enough to show me his strategy to avoid getting bumped off the puck: It was to spin both his left and right analogue stick to keep the stick and puck away from the contact. At low speed, having already made the offensive zone using extensive L2 vision control to prevent pokes and stick lifts.

I believe this is what you describe above as "the mechanics to drive a player keeping control of the puck..., we want that to be in the hands of the player in control but if the only way to keep control of the puck is to put your ballet shoes on and dance around the rink that isn't hockey.

I'm aware that I'm taking one discrete example and over generalising and simplifying it for my purpose, for that I apologise; but I'm not suggesting that I, or anyone (apart from, perhaps, McDavid) is channeling The Great One and I certainly don't expect to score 200 points in a HUT campaign let alone nearly 1000 goals - I know I'm not that good. But I've watched enough hockey at both the elite NHL level and the much lower European leagues to know that I've never seen so much puck pinball as I have on my monitor in the last 10 days.

I didn't see that in previous tuner versions and that's not what I bought to play. So, as this is only occurring in the beta version and updated version of the tuner I hope you understand I can only 'blame the game' as this is the only thing that has changed.

Since you mention it, I would love to know how matchmaking can link my record (less than .500 as I said above) and on my second attempt to crack Division 3 regularly to Division 1 players (Tim Horton legend on D) and, recently, more than half of those with five times more online wins that I've achieved because they have Terry Sawchuk legend in goal. I won't mention the two teams I've played who had 97 Owen Nolan as well.

In HUT Champs that's fair enough, but in CS and Divisions (the D1 opponents started in Div 5 if I remember correctly) should that be happening?

Thanks again for your valuable and knowledgable input to the forums. We would be much worse off without your insight.

Incidental stick on stick and stick on body puck loss has been the same all year. So if you are just referring to skating up the ice and losing the puck without being hit into at least a stumble, that is all playing the same.

The only changes across tuners were to low relative speed hits from behind and were seen as going too far and promoting puck ragging beyond what should be possible at the elite levels. Thinking on top of that back to the gameplay we want to promote around team play it made sense to look back at our original goals and in general the gameplay we saw over the last week now that people were familiar with the controls saw a much more balanced experience. We did split the difference on incidental puck loss due to body contact at the incidental level before going into an actual stumble so that an arm moving a players arm/stick away from the puck would take more to cause actual puck loss. This helped in cases where the player is behind and their limbs are just slightly disrupting you but they have no leverage to actual deliver a bigger impact and you would expect the player to more often than not shrug it off.

Remember that players like McDavid and Crosby get shoved off the puck in terms of direct control a lot but regain it a lot as well. So part of keeping the puck is knowing where you are taking the impact and where the puck will be next. If you skate with high speed into a trap with stick on stick contact, the puck keeps moving and you collect it on the other side. Or if you absorb a shove from behind, you can stay gliding keeping that body position and regain possession. You also want to make sure in cases where you pick the puck back up, you aren’t just going to lose it again to incidental contact somyour body position/angle and how you manipulate the placement of your stick is all important. Some may say that these high level players should do that all automatically but that is where the twitch game meets the simulation.

As for the matchmaking, I am not sure what HUT does exctly but there are algorithms to get you an even match and as good of a connection as much as possible but also to ensure you aren’t waiting too long. The team monitors this to try and get the best balance. So it would probably depend how many people are searching in around all the best parameters for you.
  • Thanks again. I wonder, is there a prize for the largest amount of screen real estate for posts? If so, we may be in with a chance to win it ;)
  • NHLDev
    Thanks again. I wonder, is there a prize for the largest amount of screen real estate for posts? If so, we may be in with a chance to win it ;)

Hah. I would think so. It’s our job to dissect the real world sport and figure out ways to simulate it and give players control over it. There are a lot of theories there that have been well thought out but being challenged only makes us better and opens our eyes to not only how to improve those mechanics under that same logic but also understand how people perceive what we are doing. It is also our job to make sure it makes sense to people and sometimes we take things for granted, especially as things get more subjective.

Thanks for the feedback.
  • I don't want to labour this point too much, but if anyone is interested check out the interview with NHL professional JoshFearless and Keso which NoSleeves12 conducted on You Tube

I think it's Josh when asked what would make the current tuner perfect he said:
    "I think they've done a great job with the new tuner that just released, but there's one problem and it's the incidental contact. So I can literally get my player - not even hitting you, not even poking you - but just run at you and you'll lose the puck. Like, it's insane. So that creates a lot of problems for, like, bounces - so I'm going and there's a bunch of players (my computer AI's) are going for the puck, I'm going for the puck, he's going for the puck and no-one can pick up this puck because of the incidental contact.

Eventually the puck just bounces away and gives breakaways or it gives people puck possession with odd man rushes and it destroys the game and it makes it makes it just a puck bounce luck fest."

If you read my posts about this in the beta and new version I describe these bumps, or incidental contact as puck pinball. I think I like Josh's description better.

NoSleeves12 then asks Keso what he thinks:
    "I agree completely it's the incidental contact we're at right now because you don't even have to make a button input you can just skate into somebody and they'll lose the puck. It also creates so much variance in the game...

He then describes a situation in a recent competitive game he played where he scored a goal he didn't deserve because of the erratic bounce of the puck which then just went in the net. His thoughts on that goal?
    That should never happen in a game."

So, it's not just an average Joe that thinks these bumps, or incidental contact or the puck bounce luck fest that results from them have no place in this game. It's the pro's too. Can we please do something about it soon?
  • Jetset95 wrote: »
    I don't want to labour this point too much, but if anyone is interested check out the interview with NHL professional JoshFearless and Keso which NoSleeves12 conducted on You Tube

"I think they've done a great job with the new tuner that just released, but there's one problem and it's the incidental contact. So I can literally get my player - not even hitting you, not even poking you - but just run at you and you'll lose the puck. Like, it's insane. So that creates a lot of problems for, like, bounces - so I'm going and there's a bunch of players (my computer AI's) are going for the puck, I'm going for the puck, he's going for the puck and no-one can pick up this puck because of the incidental contact.

Eventually the puck just bounces away and gives breakaways or it gives people puck possession with odd man rushes and it destroys the game and it makes it makes it just a puck bounce luck fest."

If you read my posts about this in the beta and new version I describe these bumps, or incidental contact as puck pinball. I think I like Josh's description better.

"I agree completely it's the incidental contact we're at right now because you don't even have to make a button input you can just skate into somebody and they'll lose the puck. It also creates so much variance in the game...

He then describes a situation in a recent competitive game he played where he scored a goal he didn't deserve because of the erratic bounce of the puck which then just went in the net. His thoughts on that goal?

So, it's not just an average Joe that thinks these bumps, or incidental contact or the puck bounce luck fest that results from them have no place in this game. It's the pro's too. Can we please do something about it soon?

LOL the pro's. You mean the glitch machines? The LT abuse machines? Stick wiggling, corner spazzing, never played a game of hockey in their life "gamers"? We need more scoring, wahhhhh. It's too hard to score, wahhhh. Those pros? Ah....got ya
  • PASS THE PUCK, BRO.
  • TheMajjam
    794 posts Member
    edited February 2019
    PASS THE PUCK, BRO.

No kidding. Don't people realize that the slightest contact can separate a player from the puck, let alone guys trying to intentionally knock you around? Did we somehow forget that players are on skates, must handle the puck, and have other players on the ice besides themselves to pass to?

This is how you avoid shoves and incidental contact.

HaVad6F.gif

1To6qNH.gif

cskykTc.gif
    Post edited by TheMajjam on
  • Jetset95 wrote: »
    I don't want to labour this point too much, but if anyone is interested check out the interview with NHL professional JoshFearless and Keso which NoSleeves12 conducted on You Tube

LOL the pro's. You mean the glitch machines? The LT abuse machines? Stick wiggling, corner spazzing, never played a game of hockey in their life "gamers"? We need more scoring, wahhhhh. It's too hard to score, wahhhh. Those pros? Ah....got ya

Lol yes those pro's also in this interview they're asked about glitch goals whether it's good for the game or not and guess what the answer was ,of course it iwas yes because it creates a Skill Gap, something that is said on here by the Devs a lot
  • TheMajjam wrote: »
    PASS THE PUCK, BRO.

No kidding. Don't people realize that the slightest contact can separate a player from the puck, let alone guys trying to intentionally knock you around? Did we somehow forget that players are on skates, must handle the puck, and have other players on the ice besides themselves to pass to?

HaVad6F.gif

1To6qNH.gif

cskykTc.gif

I play 3s myself, but there is so much more space to work with, you can't use it as an example of how to avoid incidental contact.

Show the same with with 10 skaters and not 6.
    PASS THE PUCK, BRO.

HaVad6F.gif

1To6qNH.gif

cskykTc.gif

I play 3s myself, but there is so much more space to work with, you can't use it as an example of how to avoid incidental contact.

Show the same with with 10 skaters and not 6.

Watch an LG NHL game and see how those players pass the puck.
  • Which players? LG doesn't =good. Some good players in it, but by no means does it mean they're a level field with everyone else in it. Any specific teams you can recommend to watch?

BTW, I am not saying incidental contact is bad or shouldn't be in the game, or that it's too high. Was mostly just pointing out that 3s is a completely different beast than 6s. Can't really compare the 2, at least as far as incidental contact goes.

Personally, I actually like where the game is at right now, and the only real change I'd make, is either to reduce stick lift effectiveness a notch, or restrict how quick it can be used. Spamming any move shouldn't be possible, offense or defense.
  • barrett098
    428 posts Member
    edited February 2019
    Nosleeves is not even good, he is pretty bad. Just watch the games he plays and 90% of the goals he scores are the short side glitches. Ofc he wants no bumps since it will make it even easier to glide and short side snipe glitch all game long.

[Socair - edited for discussing moderation]
  • Which players? LG doesn't =good. Some good players in it, but by no means does it mean they're a level field with everyone else in it. Any specific teams you can recommend to watch?

BTW, I am not saying incidental contact is bad or shouldn't be in the game, or that it's too high. Was mostly just pointing out that 3s is a completely different beast than 6s. Can't really compare the 2, at least as far as incidental contact goes.

Personally, I actually like where the game is at right now, and the only real change I'd make, is either to reduce stick lift effectiveness a notch, or restrict how quick it can be used. Spamming any move shouldn't be possible, offense or defense.

The game right now is still geared to catering to forwards. Wasn't so much before this new tuner. I mentioned LG because people there use teamplay A LOT more than what you'd find in drops. It just sounds like you're trying to gimp defending even more. Check out my hitting gif I posted in the tuner thread. With this current tuner, as a forward, you can be hit and not have anything happen to you, can rag the puck, and ignore incidental contact.

What more do you want?
  • Show the same with with 10 skaters and not 6.

Damn, you took the words out of my mouth. Thank you.

• barrett098 wrote: »
    Nosleeves is not even good, he is pretty bad. Just watch the games he plays and 90% of the goals he scores are the short side glitches. Ofc he wants no bumps since it will make it even easier to glide and short side snipe glitch all game long.

[Socair - edited for discussing moderation]

@barrett098 thank you for your post but please check your facts before responding:

First of all this wasn't NoSleeves talking, it was (as I said in the post above) JoshFearless and Keso - two professional eSports NHL players. NoSleeves was just the one conducting the interview and asked (as I posted above) an open question about how to make the current version of the game better. I believe that NoSleeves has said on record that he preferred the beta tuner and liked the bumps, in fact.

Also, NoSleeves doesn't ever claim to be good as far as I am aware - he describes himself as a better coach than a player even and if you watch a representative sample of his games you would never be able to say 90% of the goals he scores are short side glitches or short side wristers as they are better known. His leading scorers in recent months would seem to be his defenders shooting from the blue line, or (as we all do) finding open men in the slot for one-timers.
    The game right now is still geared to catering to forwards. Wasn't so much before this new tuner. I mentioned LG because people there use teamplay A LOT more than what you'd find in drops. It just sounds like you're trying to gimp defending even more. Check out my hitting gif I posted in the tuner thread. With this current tuner, as a forward, you can be hit and not have anything happen to you, can rag the puck, and ignore incidental contact.

What more do you want?

What I want - as posted at the top of this thread - is a game where the ballerinas spamming L2/LT are susceptible to being knocked off the puck because they (in a real world scenario) would have less control over the puck than someone skating in a straight line.

What I see and experience is the opposite. In my own games I can be bumped off the puck by someone doing nothing more than skating into my back or side - not hitting, not poking - just skating. This is in line with what JoshFearless and Keso said in the interview. But experts at using L2/LT can spin around the offensive zone and not lose the puck anywhere near as much. Yes they may be more skilled than me, but not JoshFearless and Keso

So, a 6'8" forward who's 200lbs can be bumped off the puck because someone touches him from behind, but a 5'8" 140lb forward can spin and ballet dance his way through those bumps with no loss of control. Surely that doesn't make sense any way you look at it?
  • LOL the pro's. You mean the glitch machines? The LT abuse machines? Stick wiggling, corner spazzing, never played a game of hockey in their life "gamers"? We need more scoring, wahhhhh. It's too hard to score, wahhhh. Those pros? Ah....got ya

Er, yes - the pros. The ones who are on pro teams, who get paid, and win a lot more games then I ever will. I'm not over familiar with all of their game styles, but I know for sure they don't all abuse LT/L2; but I am pretty sure every single NHL player around the world is guilty of stick wiggling so thanks for your insight.

And isn't "wahhhhh" spelt Waahhh!
  • Personal experience:
    Anyone over 6’3” on the ice becomes more and more vulnerable to the more compact skaters who usually are more stable because. Center of gravity. By the time they are 6’8” they become awkward trees. They can be fast, strong, and have a ridiculous reach and aren’t quick.

I’d mentioned this somewhere else but back in the 90’s a team I played for(AA/AAA) practiced at the same rink the flyers did. Often we skated before or after each other and sometimes would skate together for a bit. To the point: I’ve gone 1 on 1 down the ice with kjell Samuelson playing D a few times and can say that despite home being a dang red oak in a lot of situations quickness and great edge control was more valuable than size. Also, if we were sprinting down the ice.. goal line to goal line he was decently fast...but you could smoke em to the red line. After that he would start catching up.

Personally, I’d like to see the auto scrap for the puck turned down and the rest remain. Things like poke and lift are fine right now.not great, but as well as we can hope give the state of Rome. It would be better if instead of using penalties to curb most bad behavior the game relied on other things like realistic cool downs, inconsequential attempts, maybe even stamina costs, balance penalties and the like. I’m not sure if this engine is capable of these things though. Hopefully the next generation of consoles won’t be as weak out of the gates as this one is.

Rando note: it would be great if they would do a redesign of button assignments with things like the elite controller in mind.
    All Comments pertain to 6v6 drop in unless otherwise stated..