EA Forums - Banner

Weak Passes?

I decided to run out and pickup NHL 19 the other day because I do enjoy the sports play. Although I haven’t played since the 16 franchise. I must say, it’s good to see EA hasn’t lost much sleep over broken mechanics, as there are some glaring issues that people keep posting about...

But that’s not really my point here.

I get the on screen notification “Hold R2 for Hard Pass”
No matter how long I hold it for, no matter forehand or backhand, skating or stationary, I just can’t get it to do a Hard Pass. It always pops up the red **** dialog above my players head “Weak Passes”
Actually, I’d say it does a Hard Pass about 5% of the time, but then it ends up in my players skates, then Ice tilt turns on my opponents afterburners and he can clear half the sheet to gleefully poke it out without a tripping penalty...

TL;DR
How do you make Hard Passes?

Replies

• Nhl dev said the pass online takes less than a full second to charge. Anything over that is irrelevant.
    All Comments pertain to 6v6 drop in unless otherwise stated..
  • NHLDev
    1680 posts EA NHL Developer
    PAC_0087 wrote: »
    I decided to run out and pickup NHL 19 the other day because I do enjoy the sports play. Although I haven’t played since the 16 franchise. I must say, it’s good to see EA hasn’t lost much sleep over broken mechanics, as there are some glaring issues that people keep posting about...

But that’s not really my point here.

I get the on screen notification “Hold R2 for Hard Pass”
    No matter how long I hold it for, no matter forehand or backhand, skating or stationary, I just can’t get it to do a Hard Pass. It always pops up the red **** dialog above my players head “Weak Passes”
    Actually, I’d say it does a Hard Pass about 5% of the time, but then it ends up in my players skates, then Ice tilt turns on my opponents afterburners and he can clear half the sheet to gleefully poke it out without a tripping penalty...

TL;DR
    How do you make Hard Passes?

What button config are you using?

Just wondering if there is something we are missing as all it should take is holding the button longer before release.

• Anyone else think the saucer pass should have more range/power? You see NHL players saucer pass from the goal line to the farthest blue line but can do it in this game.
  • NHLDev
    EpiCxOwNeD wrote: »
    Anyone else think the saucer pass should have more range/power? You see NHL players saucer pass from the goal line to the farthest blue line but can do it in this game.

When people want to do that, they use a snapshot in game. Works pretty well.
  • NHLDev wrote: »
    EpiCxOwNeD wrote: »
    Anyone else think the saucer pass should have more range/power? You see NHL players saucer pass from the goal line to the farthest blue line but can do it in this game.

When people want to do that, they use a snapshot in game. Works pretty well.

Rarely you’ll ever see someone snapshot the puck up the ice as a replacement for stronger sauce.

I just personally think it should be upped and we should not have to relay on snapshotting the puck.
  • PAC_0087
    3 posts New member
    > @NHLDev said:
    >
    > What button config are you using?
    >
    > Just wondering if there is something we are missing as all it should take is holding the button longer before release.

Default skill stick. I’ve tried moving the aim assist slider up and down from 0-100, doesn’t seem to make a difference.
    This is in HUT, my players are all around 75 to 82. Happens regardless of how tired they are.

If I just play a local game 1v1 with friends it works just fine, Hard passes no worries.

This Ice Tilt is so broken. Honestly think I’m just gonna take it back to EB Games. It’s just not fun to try and play when it’s obviously got nothing to do with skill, it’s all RNG, and for some reason it’s matchmaking me against teams with 95 OVR. No point to play online when it’s so far one sided.
    My friend has a HUT team in Div 2, when we play local (with standard teams) it comes down to playing good position and good skill hockey. Jump online and there’s simply no rhyme or reason.
  • I brought up how the dot changes where you’re aiming because of the mechanic of passing. Why passes don’t go to where you’re aiming and passing is purely chance, specially when you got two guys lined up and you want the closest guy. Yet it goes to the farthest guy. No matter what, it’s you’re fault and you did something wrong and it’s never the game! I haven’t touched the game in almost two months and the way it’s looking, I’m glad I haven’t. Passing is bad in all there game modes!
  • I brought up how the dot changes where you’re aiming because of the mechanic of passing. Why passes don’t go to where you’re aiming and passing is purely chance, specially when you got two guys lined up and you want the closest guy. Yet it goes to the farthest guy. No matter what, it’s you’re fault and you did something wrong and it’s never the game! I haven’t touched the game in almost two months and the way it’s looking, I’m glad I haven’t. Passing is bad in all there game modes!

Turn down pass assist to zero (separate one for online) and have at it. There will be an adjustment period. So don’t quit after the first day or three..five lol. Personally, going into practice mode and skating circles attempting to hit stuff on the boards or pass them through the dots can help calibrate the thumbs
  • PAC_0087
    3 posts New member
    > @Kriptical476 said:
    > FatKidd5151 wrote: »
    >
    > I brought up how the dot changes where you’re aiming because of the mechanic of passing. Why passes don’t go to where you’re aiming and passing is purely chance, specially when you got two guys lined up and you want the closest guy. Yet it goes to the farthest guy. No matter what, it’s you’re fault and you did something wrong and it’s never the game! I haven’t touched the game in almost two months and the way it’s looking, I’m glad I haven’t. Passing is bad in all there game modes!
    >
    >
    >
    >
    > Turn down pass assist to zero (separate one for online) and have at it. There will be an adjustment period. So don’t quit after the first day or three..five lol. Personally, going into practice mode and skating circles attempting to hit stuff on the boards or pass them through the dots can help calibrate the thumbs

It’s not that I can’t hit the passes, it’s that they are so brutally weak. As soon as I play just a local game, it’s like suddenly the players remember how to play and pass. Go online, and everything is a muffin. Can’t get them to pass hard to save my life.
    Like I said, 80ish OVR on these players and they pass like I’m playing a bronze league on local

Turn down pass assist to zero (separate one for online) and have at it. There will be an adjustment period. So don’t quit after the first day or three..five lol. Personally, going into practice mode and skating circles attempting to hit stuff on the boards or pass them through the dots can help calibrate the thumbs

Calibrate the thumbs? So basically you’re saying to get use to how off the passes will be. You do know that the mechanic changes when you add players right? I have video of the dot moving because of the mechanic. Just watch a replay and you’ll see the dot move while the player goes into the passing mechanic. That means it changes where the pass is going from you’re original aiming point and makes it pure chance where it goes. I still have passes go to the farthest guy and not the closest guy and I’ve had pass assist there since release. Passing has always been bad in this series!
  • NHLDev
    PAC_0087 wrote: »
    > @Kriptical476 said:
    > FatKidd5151 wrote: »
    >
    > I brought up how the dot changes where you’re aiming because of the mechanic of passing. Why passes don’t go to where you’re aiming and passing is purely chance, specially when you got two guys lined up and you want the closest guy. Yet it goes to the farthest guy. No matter what, it’s you’re fault and you did something wrong and it’s never the game! I haven’t touched the game in almost two months and the way it’s looking, I’m glad I haven’t. Passing is bad in all there game modes!
    >
    >
    >
    >
    > Turn down pass assist to zero (separate one for online) and have at it. There will be an adjustment period. So don’t quit after the first day or three..five lol. Personally, going into practice mode and skating circles attempting to hit stuff on the boards or pass them through the dots can help calibrate the thumbs

It’s not that I can’t hit the passes, it’s that they are so brutally weak. As soon as I play just a local game, it’s like suddenly the players remember how to play and pass. Go online, and everything is a muffin. Can’t get them to pass hard to save my life.
    Like I said, 80ish OVR on these players and they pass like I’m playing a bronze league on local

If it’s working for you offline, something else has to be going on. But from here. It’s hard for me to give you another option.

Are you sure there isn’t some online flow where you are on hybrid instead of skill stick or something? When you go into HUT, go to settings and see if it’s setuo different than your offline defaults somehow or something.
  • PAC_0087
    3 posts New member
    > @NHLDev said:

> If it’s working for you offline, something else has to be going on. But from here. It’s hard for me to give you another option.
    >
    > Are you sure there isn’t some online flow where you are on hybrid instead of skill stick or something? When you go into HUT, go to settings and see if it’s setuo different than your offline defaults somehow or something.

100% in skill stick. It’s like the game is tilting it intentionally and doesn’t allow me to make Hard passes. I can’t imagine that a default Gold player would perform differently in HUT vs Local.
    Press and hold R2 for a full second, still records “Weak Passes” then their Gretzky skates past and top shelf’s from center Ice.

Basically it feels like the game says “your opponents OVR is 96, yet match made you in Div 10, so he’s gonna win. And that means your passes are gonna be weak, and your players forget to carry the puck”
    Totally removes any skill from the game when you’re nerfed down so hard.
  • Rando question. Are you using an Elite Controller?