EA Forums - Banner

Gameplay Updates Based on Beta Tuner Rollback Feedback

Replies

• LeFury_27
    203 posts Member
    edited February 2019
    The AI in this game is basically useless. I have been playing nothing but EASHL since the new tuner. I just played a game of versus and I cannot believe how garbage the AI is, lol.

You can literally skate right in front of them and they do nothing. Hockey is a team game, making the AI this useless makes no sense tbh. Skill zoning is a legit tactic, though I've never used it and I haven't complained. If you are a good player you will find ways to beat the skill zone and win games. I understand making AI less effective but hell they are abysmal right now. It feels like it's 4 random guys who never played hockey before and the one you have control of.
    Post edited by LeFury_27 on
  • Hello.

Thanks for the updates for online and HUT.

When will these updates take place offline? Yesterday I played 5 games with a friend at my place and I literally got more than 20 penalties taken by a bot. I play some online and I average about 2.7mins in penalties per game. So the game is pretty much unplayable offline at the moment unless u god scoring while SH. Friend played with same strategies and he got about 5 penalties in total by a bot. Which is weird. Even putting sliders down to 0 on cpu penalties and cpu teammates penalties, literally no change happened.

Either way...when will the update come to offline modes?

Also what about saving strategies offline and in versus? I am getting tired of going through strategies and 29 different line adjustments every time when I feel like playing. I actually play a lot less because of this. I think this has been an issue 10+ years now and for what ever reason its not fixed yet. Why is this so hard to implement? Same thing with editing lines in versus.

Thank you for your time.
  • NHLDev
    1680 posts EA NHL Developer
    Hello.

When will these updates take place offline? Yesterday I played 5 games with a friend at my place and I literally got more than 20 penalties taken by a bot. I play some online and I average about 2.7mins in penalties per game. So the game is pretty much unplayable offline at the moment unless u god scoring while SH. Friend played with same strategies and he got about 5 penalties in total by a bot. Which is weird. Even putting sliders down to 0 on cpu penalties and cpu teammates penalties, literally no change happened.

Also what about saving strategies offline and in versus? I am getting tired of going through strategies and 29 different line adjustments every time when I feel like playing. I actually play a lot less because of this. I think this has been an issue 10+ years now and for what ever reason its not fixed yet. Why is this so hard to implement? Same thing with editing lines in versus.

Thank you for your time.

For offline, switch your tuner to 1.00 or 1.01 depending on preference of tuning and adjust sliders from there.

The ai actions against the puck carrier aren’t off for offline but those tuners should solve your penalty issues overall until there is a 1.04 and you can tune sliders from there as well.

The online team has the request to edit lines and strategies for online vs. Those rosters are handled differently than HUT teams where your single team is stored on the server so that is why in its current state it isn’t an easy fix but I know they know it would be a big quality of life improvement for those that don’t want the ones set for the teams.
  • NHLDev wrote: »
    Hello.

Thank you for your time.

For offline, switch your tuner to 1.00 or 1.01 depending on preference of tuning and adjust sliders from there.

The ai actions against the puck carrier aren’t off for offline but those tuners should solve your penalty issues overall until there is a 1.04 and you can tune sliders from there as well.

The online team has the request to edit lines and strategies for online vs. Those rosters are handled differently than HUT teams where your single team is stored on the server so that is why in its current state it isn’t an easy fix but I know they know it would be a big quality of life improvement for those that don’t want the ones set for the teams.
    Nice to hear.

Actually I'd be happy if it would be possible to save strategies/lines at least for my favorite team instead of every team available.

I guess most of us use only one (favorite) team in versus (well, I do...) and I think it would be much easier for you to implement it to the game.
  • Bring back beta tuner. This game is again a mess in 1v1 mode where you need to rely on AI.
  • > @NHLDev said:
    > Rediscoveryguy wrote: »
    >
    > Hello.
    >
    > Thanks for the updates for online and HUT.
    >
    > When will these updates take place offline? Yesterday I played 5 games with a friend at my place and I literally got more than 20 penalties taken by a bot. I play some online and I average about 2.7mins in penalties per game. So the game is pretty much unplayable offline at the moment unless u god scoring while SH. Friend played with same strategies and he got about 5 penalties in total by a bot. Which is weird. Even putting sliders down to 0 on cpu penalties and cpu teammates penalties, literally no change happened.
    >
    > Either way...when will the update come to offline modes?
    >
    > Also what about saving strategies offline and in versus? I am getting tired of going through strategies and 29 different line adjustments every time when I feel like playing. I actually play a lot less because of this. I think this has been an issue 10+ years now and for what ever reason its not fixed yet. Why is this so hard to implement? Same thing with editing lines in versus.
    >
    > Thank you for your time.
    >
    >
    >
    >
    > For offline, switch your tuner to 1.00 or 1.01 depending on preference of tuning and adjust sliders from there.
    >
    > The ai actions against the puck carrier aren’t off for offline but those tuners should solve your penalty issues overall until there is a 1.04 and you can tune sliders from there as well.
    >
    > The online team has the request to edit lines and strategies for online vs. Those rosters are handled differently than HUT teams where your single team is stored on the server so that is why in its current state it isn’t an easy fix but I know they know it would be a big quality of life improvement for those that don’t want the ones set for the teams.

Hello.

Thanks for your quick reply. I tried both tuners and set cpu teammates penalties and all cpu penalties to zero, but nothing worked. AI chases and slashes and pokes as much as they have done in newer tuners. So game is still very unplayable. Any schedule when the 1.04 might be released for offline use? This is really frustrating...we have 20 players paricipating in an offline tournament in two weeks and this will surely make the tournament a crapshoot. Not feeling great about this when the tournament itself is so well arranged and we get to play almost 100 games during one day and now this will certainly spoil the whole thing :(

Please try to give us some kind of solution soon.

Thank you.
  • Sinbin
    1331 posts Member
    LeFury_27 wrote: »
    The AI in this game is basically useless. I have been playing nothing but EASHL since the new tuner. I just played a game of versus and I cannot believe how garbage the AI is, lol.

You can literally skate right in front of them and they do nothing. Hockey is a team game, making the AI this useless makes no sense tbh. Skill zoning is a legit tactic, though I've never used it and I haven't complained. If you are a good player you will find ways to beat the skill zone and win games. I understand making AI less effective but hell they are abysmal right now. It feels like it's 4 random guys who never played hockey before and the one you have control of.

EASHL is about chemistry with your teammates. You don't have that with the AI players. They are there to fill in when you don't have other humans to play with. You can't expect much out of them, but at least you can still play. If you don't want to play with them, find more humans for your team.
  • NHLDev
    edited February 2019
    > @NHLDev said:
    > Rediscoveryguy wrote: »
    >
    > Hello.
    >
    > Thanks for the updates for online and HUT.
    >
    > When will these updates take place offline? Yesterday I played 5 games with a friend at my place and I literally got more than 20 penalties taken by a bot. I play some online and I average about 2.7mins in penalties per game. So the game is pretty much unplayable offline at the moment unless u god scoring while SH. Friend played with same strategies and he got about 5 penalties in total by a bot. Which is weird. Even putting sliders down to 0 on cpu penalties and cpu teammates penalties, literally no change happened.
    >
    > Either way...when will the update come to offline modes?
    >
    > Also what about saving strategies offline and in versus? I am getting tired of going through strategies and 29 different line adjustments every time when I feel like playing. I actually play a lot less because of this. I think this has been an issue 10+ years now and for what ever reason its not fixed yet. Why is this so hard to implement? Same thing with editing lines in versus.
    >
    > Thank you for your time.
    >
    >
    >
    >
    > For offline, switch your tuner to 1.00 or 1.01 depending on preference of tuning and adjust sliders from there.
    >
    > The ai actions against the puck carrier aren’t off for offline but those tuners should solve your penalty issues overall until there is a 1.04 and you can tune sliders from there as well.
    >
    > The online team has the request to edit lines and strategies for online vs. Those rosters are handled differently than HUT teams where your single team is stored on the server so that is why in its current state it isn’t an easy fix but I know they know it would be a big quality of life improvement for those that don’t want the ones set for the teams.

Hello.

Thanks for your quick reply. I tried both tuners and set cpu teammates penalties and all cpu penalties to zero, but nothing worked. AI chases and slashes and pokes as much as they have done in newer tuners. So game is still very unplayable. Any schedule when the 1.04 might be released for offline use? This is really frustrating...we have 20 players paricipating in an offline tournament in two weeks and this will surely make the tournament a crapshoot. Not feeling great about this when the tournament itself is so well arranged and we get to play almost 100 games during one day and now this will certainly spoil the whole thing :(

Please try to give us some kind of solution soon.

Thank you.

The ai will perform actions offline but the penalty problem started to happen in 1.02 and later. The solution is to use 1.00 and play manual defense against the puck carrier.

Tuner 1.04 will work like 1.00, it won’t turn off ai actions like we have for online.

If that isn’t working, ask all the players on operation sports forums who are playing longer period games and finding proper balance by using those tuners in their offline franchises.
  • LeFury_27
    203 posts Member
    edited February 2019
    Sinbin wrote: »
    LeFury_27 wrote: »

EASHL is about chemistry with your teammates. You don't have that with the AI players. They are there to fill in when you don't have other humans to play with. You can't expect much out of them, but at least you can still play. If you don't want to play with them, find more humans for your team.

If you read my post you’d see I was talking about versus. I am just saying that AI just lets you skate circles around them and do absolutely nothing. Kind of like pylons, you know what I’m saying? You can’t rely on them to do the simplest things. I just think they went too far in nerfing AI for versus because some abused skill zone and some couldn’t beat it.

No worries for me though, I play club with all a full team and rarely play versus.
  • TheMajjam wrote: »
    So I mentioned earlier in the thread about hitting feeling different between beta tuner and new tuner, and I think EA said that there was no change. There were also a few people saying that I was crazy. Just got on and first game I got a few examples. Here's one. In my opinion, this wouldn't happen in the beta tuner. Dude probably would have lost the puck with being hit just by incidental contact alone. This goes hand in hand with skaters now being able to rag the puck the whole length of the ice ignoring hits, going through people, beating stick-on-stick incidental and never losing the puck.

Anyone else think I'm crazy? I think the protective wall is back.

nJxFXoA.gif

@NHLDev

any thoughts on this video? you had previously said you thought we were trolling you and that nothing in the tuners would cause the changes we are seeing....this is happening way too often after the tuner
  • NHLDev
    TheMajjam wrote: »
    So I mentioned earlier in the thread about hitting feeling different between beta tuner and new tuner, and I think EA said that there was no change. There were also a few people saying that I was crazy. Just got on and first game I got a few examples. Here's one. In my opinion, this wouldn't happen in the beta tuner. Dude probably would have lost the puck with being hit just by incidental contact alone. This goes hand in hand with skaters now being able to rag the puck the whole length of the ice ignoring hits, going through people, beating stick-on-stick incidental and never losing the puck.

nJxFXoA.gif

@NHLDev

any thoughts on this video? you had previously said you thought we were trolling you and that nothing in the tuners would cause the changes we are seeing....this is happening way too often after the tuner

I said it felt like it because it doesn’t make sense to like the rollback tuner and not this one.

There are people saying that PS4 hits are less than Xbox (which I don’t understand yet either) but those that say that describe that was the same during the rollback. So there isn’t anything to suggest that hits now are less than during the rollback.

That clip does surprise me since it’s a hit from the front and not low relative speed anyways so wasn’t even tuned in 1.03 let along now. The puck should have come free right away regardless of hit magnitude due to knocking away from the puck.

You are saying you are seeing it all the time but I haven’t seen it myself.

I am not sure what builds people are using in these encounters but I am sure peoppe in eashl have adapted and are using more size in their builds due to the physics changes which can obviously make a difference.

nJxFXoA.gif

@NHLDev

I said it felt like it because it doesn’t make sense to like the rollback tuner and not this one.

There are people saying that PS4 hits are less than Xbox (which I don’t understand yet either) but those that say that describe that was the same during the rollback. So there isn’t anything to suggest that hits now are less than during the rollback.

That clip does surprise me since it’s a hit from the front and not low relative speed anyways so wasn’t even tuned in 1.03 let along now. The puck should have come free right away regardless of hit magnitude due to knocking away from the puck.

I am not sure what builds people are using in these encounters but I am sure peoppe in eashl have adapted and are using more size in their builds due to the physics changes which can obviously make a difference.

With your beta tuner I saw more of a variety of builds. Even more astonishing was going from 1.03 to the beta tuner, defensemen were actually using defense builds and not forward builds. I think what people are concerned with is not necessarily hitting, but the puck retention from beta tuner to this tuner seems to have gone up. Had no trouble with separating the puck from players in the beta. Especially if they didn't pass or skated right into me. Then you have cases in the gif. Low speed battles are a lose-lose situation for the hitter, which is where you see complaints about ragging.

I think we're now back to everyone using the SNP/DNG build. I see a lot of SNP/DNG with bigger players, so they have the handle, shot, and size. I've already been criticized for using a small build as a defenseman, but what do you want me to do to keep up with fast forwards? There's no incentive to using bigger, more powerful builds as a D-man. Absolutely zero. Right now I cycle through TWF/PMD for my builds and touch nothing else.
  • I agree, many seem to favor dangler and sniper - and they're almost always without helmets too. That helps you to identify their game style, abuse the system is the order of the day for them. :)

People are still puck hogging and dangling, but they're not as successful as with 1.03 I think. And they're still abusing short-side wristers, again it's quite not as bad as 1.03 but somewhat identical. I don't know whether they do this out of habit, and can't adjust. Or is it really working for them? Because we can stop most of these, it's hard to say. But it's not fun at all.

Perhaps I have adjusted to poke checking and stick-lifting, but I think I can use these tools pretty well now, in fact I have had several cases where I already was sure I would get a penalty, but didn't in fact. Looks like I can be more courageous with using them now. Stripping the puck simply by being close and trusting your puck control doesn't seem to work quite as well, so I am poking/lifting a bit more. I am considering dropping PMD from my d-men builds, or at least trying other builds. With 1.03 it was the only way to go (with beast mode too).

Hitting, there seems to be some issues. I have tried hitting couple of guy from behind when they were gliding with the puck, and got no result. They didn't even stagger one bit, let alone lose the puck. A few times I try to hit a guy various angles, and there's no response with the hit mechanic, the hit just doesn't seem to register, there's not FF on the pad - just nothing. Maybe it's the lag causing this and the hit doesn't count, but I clearly touched the guy. They're mostly slow speed hits, but I should still be able to make some kind of impact? You can do the 'cross-check' even from a stand-still but these are just plain duds. And even when you just skate into the other without hitting, you make some kinda impact normally (often bit too much if you ask me - these should be obstruction penalties!)

I haven't had a really lag free game in a couple of days, seems like there's some issue with European server(s), and we got a few games against an 'LG' team - are these American ones? But lag does affect your ability to react to the game, so in that sense I am positively surprised how well the defensive tools work even with a bit of lag. And I haven't even resorted to DSS much yet.

HUT doesn't allow you to save just one team. You can save multiple teams (with lineups and strategies). So is it really that hard to give OVP players the VS equivalent of a HUT account, allowing them to save different NHL teams w/their lineups and strategies?

• Sgt_Kelso wrote: »
    I agree, many seem to favor dangler and sniper - and they're almost always without helmets too. That helps you to identify their game style, abuse the system is the order of the day for them. :)

People are still puck hogging and dangling, but they're not as successful as with 1.03 I think. And they're still abusing short-side wristers, again it's quite not as bad as 1.03 but somewhat identical. I don't know whether they do this out of habit, and can't adjust. Or is it really working for them? Because we can stop most of these, it's hard to say. But it's not fun at all.

Perhaps I have adjusted to poke checking and stick-lifting, but I think I can use these tools pretty well now, in fact I have had several cases where I already was sure I would get a penalty, but didn't in fact. Looks like I can be more courageous with using them now. Stripping the puck simply by being close and trusting your puck control doesn't seem to work quite as well, so I am poking/lifting a bit more. I am considering dropping PMD from my d-men builds, or at least trying other builds. With 1.03 it was the only way to go (with beast mode too).

Hitting, there seems to be some issues. I have tried hitting couple of guy from behind when they were gliding with the puck, and got no result. They didn't even stagger one bit, let alone lose the puck. A few times I try to hit a guy various angles, and there's no response with the hit mechanic, the hit just doesn't seem to register, there's not FF on the pad - just nothing. Maybe it's the lag causing this and the hit doesn't count, but I clearly touched the guy. They're mostly slow speed hits, but I should still be able to make some kind of impact? You can do the 'cross-check' even from a stand-still but these are just plain duds. And even when you just skate into the other without hitting, you make some kinda impact normally (often bit too much if you ask me - these should be obstruction penalties!)

I haven't had a really lag free game in a couple of days, seems like there's some issue with European server(s), and we got a few games against an 'LG' team - are these American ones? But lag does affect your ability to react to the game, so in that sense I am positively surprised how well the defensive tools work even with a bit of lag. And I haven't even resorted to DSS much yet.

Good post!
    NHLDev wrote: »

nJxFXoA.gif

@NHLDev

With your beta tuner I saw more of a variety of builds. Even more astonishing was going from 1.03 to the beta tuner, defensemen were actually using defense builds and not forward builds. I think what people are concerned with is not necessarily hitting, but the puck retention from beta tuner to this tuner seems to have gone up. Had no trouble with separating the puck from players in the beta. Especially if they didn't pass or skated right into me. Then you have cases in the gif. Low speed battles are a lose-lose situation for the hitter, which is where you see complaints about ragging.

I think we're now back to everyone using the SNP/DNG build. I see a lot of SNP/DNG with bigger players, so they have the handle, shot, and size. I've already been criticized for using a small build as a defenseman, but what do you want me to do to keep up with fast forwards? There's no incentive to using bigger, more powerful builds as a D-man. Absolutely zero. Right now I cycle through TWF/PMD for my builds and touch nothing else.

Sgt_Kelso wrote: »
    I agree, many seem to favor dangler and sniper - and they're almost always without helmets too. That helps you to identify their game style, abuse the system is the order of the day for them. :)

For what it's worth I played about 25 or 30 6s game since the new tuner rolled out, and I see a wide variety of builds across all positions. I don't see just a couple here and there, and I see big and small people. I'm not saying you guys don't see what you see, but I see the opposite. Maybe it's just who we're getting matched up with?

nJxFXoA.gif

@NHLDev

Sgt_Kelso wrote: »

For what it's worth I played about 25 or 30 6s game since the new tuner rolled out, and I see a wide variety of builds across all positions. I don't see just a couple here and there, and I see big and small people. I'm not saying you guys don't see what you see, but I see the opposite. Maybe it's just who we're getting matched up with?

Agree.
  • Just want to go on record that nothing in the way the game handles interference has offended my sensibilities. (Aside from the occasional hovering when you hit Y or accidentally stick lift someone away from the puck and can’t break either animation in time. But that’s my bad.)

Seen a few people on the boards, then last night in game talk about stuff which just wasn’t correct. Going to go with Days of Thunder for this one to appeal to a broader audience:
    Rubbin’s Racing
    All Comments pertain to 6v6 drop in unless otherwise stated..
  • thegoaliezone
    21 posts Member
    edited February 2019

nJxFXoA.gif

@NHLDev

For what it’s worth, I posted about this same problem in another thread. Hitting in the roll back and latest tuner is terrible as the video shows. I experience this all the time using a pwf. Unless you have run away freight train speed and momentum leading into the hit you just bump into them as the video clip shows. I believe the sluggish skating is the issue.
  • NHLDev
    Bmh245 wrote: »

HUT doesn't allow you to save just one team. You can save multiple teams (with lineups and strategies). So is it really that hard to give OVP players the VS equivalent of a HUT account, allowing them to save different NHL teams w/their lineups and strategies?

Same answer then I guess but we can replace single team with single team with multiple lineups to be more clear.

The online/modes teams use the same roster file they update for offline right now and continue to update through the year.

If it was easy, it would have been done already I’m sure. I have sent them different ideas on how I think it could be done and handle the updates throughout the year as well but those are just outside suggestions as well as I don’t know what they are dealing with exactly.