EA Forums - Banner

NHL 19 - Everything was tripping

Replies

  • RSO75 wrote: »
    Take a hockey stick and swing it around with ONE hand like a poke check, the force to trip up a pro player is just not there, you would need fore arms like Popeye. Really the only way is if the skater steps on the poke checkers stick blade.

    Who cares? That isn't the reality within this game. Just like it takes 2-3 bullets to kill someone with a headshot in CoD. It is a game. It is done to counter the ability to poke spam which cannot be done in real life. Super simple concept.
  • You said it Wain; it is a game, supposed to be fun, repeated tripping/penalities on poke check is not fun and slow the pace of the game when this could be resolve if they revert like it was in NHL17. Is it that complicated to understand that NHL17 wasn't doing this issue and it does now? It is a game. I want to have fun and want it back like NHL17. Game = fun. By the way, just play COD in hardcore and its one bullet, this is where I play.
  • noratio wrote: »
    You said it Wain; it is a game, supposed to be fun, repeated tripping/penalities on poke check is not fun and slow the pace of the game when this could be resolve if they revert like it was in NHL17. Is it that complicated to understand that NHL17 wasn't doing this issue and it does now? It is a game. I want to have fun and want it back like NHL17. Game = fun. By the way, just play COD in hardcore and its one bullet, this is where I play.
    Stop poking at bad times and you won't trip. It's simple. Learn the mechanic, instead of complaining about it. It's working as intended.

    I wish casual gamers would learn the games mechanics instead of crying to ea to make it easy.
  • I don’t spam and the tripping is out of control anyway you sliced. I agree with noratio 100%, this game is supposed to be fun isn’t it? I would stop playing Madden they called holding or PI on every other play just like I’ve stopped playing NHL 19 because you can’t graze a leg with a stick without a penalty being called. It’s a stale product. Online vs. needs some juice. How about being able to pick outdoor venues?
  • I don’t spam and the tripping is out of control anyway you sliced. I agree with noratio 100%, this game is supposed to be fun isn’t it? I would stop playing Madden they called holding or PI on every other play just like I’ve stopped playing NHL 19 because you can’t graze a leg with a stick without a penalty being called. It’s a stale product. Online vs. needs some juice. How about being able to pick outdoor venues?

    They do have the 3s mode with fireworks... big dekes and easier mechanics and stuff.
    Maybe you’d like that mode.
  • noratio
    30 posts Member
    edited February 2019
    What about a vs online mode with the NHL 17 tuner for the poke check? Problem solved; no more stupid tripping leg penalities when you try to reach the puck in front of a player!
  • I’m looking for REALISM, hockey is a tough physical game. It’s not a flop fest HandCat
  • I don’t spam and the tripping is out of control anyway you sliced. I agree with noratio 100%, this game is supposed to be fun isn’t it? I would stop playing Madden they called holding or PI on every other play just like I’ve stopped playing NHL 19 because you can’t graze a leg with a stick without a penalty being called. It’s a stale product. Online vs. needs some juice. How about being able to pick outdoor venues?

    Again, it has NOTHING to do with realism. Everyone knows poking with one hand wouldn't cause a tripping penalty in real life unless you manage to lodge your stick between a player's legs and twist it around.

    The reason why poking results in penalties is to deter users from abusing the mechanic. YOU may not abuse it, but many do. And like others have said the main reason people tend to abuse the poke checks is because they feel like A) it's the only tool they have to defend properly and B) the game has taught them that in order to "exist" within the game's reality they need to be in possession of the puck 100% of the time. The way the game has taught them this is by poking at the puck because poking = getting the puck back. Even now, with all the penalties to poke checking, it's still a good way to take the puck away from the opponent.

    And this mentality is most prominent in those that play 1v1 game modes like HUT and VS.

    So in this case the old adage is true: "The burned hand teaches best".
  • Again, I wouldn’t play Madden if there was a penalty called on every other play. Figure it out. The reason they don’t is because they don’t want a game that’s unplayable because a few guys don’t like getting poke checked. That’s hockey, if you want to make it a ticky tack fest that’s fine, I’ve taken my business elsewhere.
  • Again, I wouldn’t play Madden if there was a penalty called on every other play. Figure it out. The reason they don’t is because they don’t want a game that’s unplayable because a few guys don’t like getting poke checked. That’s hockey, if you want to make it a ticky tack fest that’s fine, I’ve taken my business elsewhere.

    Comparing penalties in madden to NHL is comparing apples to oranges.
  • Again, I wouldn’t play Madden if there was a penalty called on every other play. Figure it out. The reason they don’t is because they don’t want a game that’s unplayable because a few guys don’t like getting poke checked. That’s hockey, if you want to make it a ticky tack fest that’s fine, I’ve taken my business elsewhere.

    Comparing penalties in madden to NHL is comparing apples to oranges.

    Well, to be fair, penalties would get called every other play in any sports game, if the user takes a penalty every other play

    The trick is for the user to learn the mechanic in order to not take them.
  • VeNOM2099 wrote: »
    Everyone knows poking with one hand wouldn't cause a tripping penalty in real life unless you manage to lodge your stick between a player's legs and twist it around.

    That's not true. You can easily use one hand on the stick, poke a player's skate and easily make him lose an edge on the blade.

    A player's stick blade can also slip under a player's skate blade, causing the edge to be lost and player to fall.

    So, I don't think it's a true statement that "poking with one hand wouldn't cause a tripping penalty in real life".

    It absolutely can and it does.

  • noratio wrote: »
    You said it Wain; it is a game, supposed to be fun, repeated tripping/penalities on poke check is not fun and slow the pace of the game when this could be resolve if they revert like it was in NHL17. Is it that complicated to understand that NHL17 wasn't doing this issue and it does now? It is a game. I want to have fun and want it back like NHL17. Game = fun. By the way, just play COD in hardcore and its one bullet, this is where I play.

    I totally understand.

    What the tripping community needs to understand is incidental contact, physical contact, and stick lifts work very well. The DSS is very useful as well in containing areas of attack and/or passing options. A whole lot better than 17 or any other version did. You simply cannot add in poke fests from prior years. It wouldn't make sense for the balance of the game.

    There are 2 simple mistakes here:

    Not wanting to adapt to a new mechanic and/or tuning.

    Trying to compare this to prior versions and playing it like prior versions.
  • I’m looking for REALISM, hockey is a tough physical game. It’s not a flop fest HandCat

    If you want REALISM, then I don't get why you would think poke spamming is fine like it used to be.

    See any NHL players who have the nickname "machine gun Joe" because they can spam poke checks like a machine gun spams bullets? Of course not.
  • VeNOM2099 wrote: »
    Everyone knows poking with one hand wouldn't cause a tripping penalty in real life unless you manage to lodge your stick between a player's legs and twist it around.

    That's not true. You can easily use one hand on the stick, poke a player's skate and easily make him lose an edge on the blade.

    A player's stick blade can also slip under a player's skate blade, causing the edge to be lost and player to fall.

    So, I don't think it's a true statement that "poking with one hand wouldn't cause a tripping penalty in real life".

    It absolutely can and it does.

    The true matter here is in real life players have much more control over their stick. They can poke 5 inches, or 4 feet, whatever they want, whenever they want.

    The poking mechanics can and certainly should be, let's say for lack of a better word, "overhauled". But again, it has to be done in a way that players can't simply spam it and have the game fix all their mistakes or bad judgment calls.
  • The poking mechanics can and certainly should be, let's say for lack of a better word, "overhauled".

    Other than the physics anomalies we see, in no way whatsoever should poke checking get 'overhauled'.

    Absolutely no way. It needs to be improved upon, not completely re-tooled.
  • The poking mechanics can and certainly should be, let's say for lack of a better word, "overhauled".

    Other than the physics anomalies we see, in no way whatsoever should poke checking get 'overhauled'.

    Absolutely no way. It needs to be improved upon, not completely re-tooled.

    To be fair, seems to be built upon for many years. I think it does need to be overhauled. I don't see much difference from say NHL 14. The rules of it have changed quite a bit though.
  • I don't see much difference from say NHL 14.

    I sincerely hope this is an attempt at hyperbole, because to make a claim you "don't see much difference (in poke checking) from say NHL 14" is concrete proof you're not as familiar with the mechanic as you claim.
  • I don't see much difference from say NHL 14.

    I sincerely hope this is an attempt at hyperbole, because to make a claim you "don't see much difference (in poke checking) from say NHL 14" is concrete proof you're not as familiar with the mechanic as you claim.

    Then please by all means enlighten me.
  • I don't see much difference from say NHL 14.

    I sincerely hope this is an attempt at hyperbole, because to make a claim you "don't see much difference (in poke checking) from say NHL 14" is concrete proof you're not as familiar with the mechanic as you claim.

    Then please by all means enlighten me.

    It was only last year's game that introduced the defensive skill stick. Mapped directly to the poke check button and utilizing the right stick for (close to) 1:1 movement, allowing for TONS of options on defense.

    Using DSS combined with the R3 click for poke checking, you can now determine at which angle you poke check from.

    To claim that poke checking has gone unchanged in 5 years is a demonstration on how some people in this community argue about mechanics that they don't understand fully.
Sign In or Register to comment.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.