EA Forums - Banner

The physicality in NHL 19 is a serious problem.

Man, I've played a lot of NHL 19 this year I've played every single next gen NHL game. Bought 19 during release, I'd also consider myself an above average player, skill wise. But ever since they reverted to the beta tuner especially(even though this was a major issue before that rollback regardless), the nudging off the puck and telegraphed big hits have gotten me fed up.

The hitting power and just the hitting physics in general are ridiculous. Nothing even close to resembling real life. There's an absurd amount of huge hits, those of which have become a bit more scarce in today's NHL. Players are also as good at protecting the puck as ever in real life; which brings me to my main point here.

The nudging off the puck/lacking puck protection in NHL 19 is a gigantic problem, and a problem that NHL 20 needs to fix if it'll get anywhere as a game.

No matter what angle you have on a defending player, no matter what leverage or body position, if you aren't some huge powerforward class with puck protecting traits, every single nudge on your player results in a loss of the puck, and 90% of the time you can't recover it. It's pathetic, really, the fact that body positioning has no bearings on your ability to protect the puck.

Not to mention, speed/momentum is an absolute non-factor in whether you can slip through a guy or not, because as long as they get the slimmest of pieces of you, you'll be nudged off the puck.

It just has no semblance of realism, and frankly, EA should feel ashamed for even thinking that the state of the physical play in the game is or was remotely alright at launch and during the past couple months with the different tuners.

I could get into an entirely different rant on this subject about the CPU alone, which speaks volumes in my eyes. Disagree with me all you want, but when I watch the real NHL(which I watch a LOT of) versus this game, and how physical contact, body position and leverage seem to function, it's really disappointing as one of the most hardcore hockey fans you'll see around.

EA may not like me posting this on their forum, but I just felt an urgent need to vent about this after being continuously frustrated with it after playing this game daily(mostly EASHL), and dealing with the same shenanigans countless times.

I hold some other heavy opinions on some aspects and the current state of NHL 19, I even have a lot more I could speak on with this subject, but I figured I should leave it at this.

Would love some comments, some arguing points if anyone sees fits, just anything to chime in on whether you agree, disagree, or otherwise. Thanks.

Replies

• HandsomeCatf1sh
    1707 posts Member
    edited February 2019
    Sorry... but I have to disagree.

1. Like you said...you don’t see big hits that much in the nhl anymore. Well... that’s true BECAUSE...players are quicker and move the puck faster and more...
    than people do in this video game.

2. Even if you as you say...the nudges and hits are unrealistic...even if that is true...it’s beneficial for the video game.
    Its a team play type of sport....and ALOT of people were sick and tired of the puck carrier being invincible at times...thus promoting..boring...one man show, type of plays/players.
  • Catfish is right... Move the puck faster to teammates and those big hits become penalties and power plays. Just as they would in the NHL. And if you're the bigger hitter maybe let off the hit stick when you see the puck gone 3 seconds earlier and you won't take penalties either. That would probably bring the number back down to a more realistic level of big hits. As for the nudges no need to change that at all it is working great right now with this physics engine.
  • The biggest hits happen when you face a purely north-south hit, and when you hold on to the puck too long.

Dangle and pass. Nothing else to say there.
  • The physicality in this game is ON POINT. The jostling, bumping, incidental contact - I can't imagine why anyone would consider this game's physicality sub par; unless one was wanting big hits all game long.

Then yea - I could see why you'd be disappointed.
  • To all the usual suspects who play 6's and don't have to suffer the vagaries of AI support where you always have a teammate to make your pass to, and your own skill matches your opponent much more readily than the hyperactive AI in HUT who chase and harry you without favour or fatigue I'm sure the new tuner is fine.

Even more so if you play on the PS4 where the bumps and incidental contact don't do half as much damage as it seems to on the Xbox.

So perhaps this should be broken down into first of all which console you're on; and second what mode you play: The results of such a survey could be very insightful to helping to 'tune the tuner' so we all get the best experience.
  • skyline5gtr34
    7 posts Member
    edited February 2019
    Love reading this, we finally get a way to stop / control the one man show and someone complains

[Socair - edited swear filter]
    Post edited by Socair on
  • Jetset95 wrote: »
    To all the usual suspects who play 6's and don't have to suffer the vagaries of AI support where you always have a teammate to make your pass to, and your own skill matches your opponent much more readily than the hyperactive AI in HUT who chase and harry you without favour or fatigue I'm sure the new tuner is fine.

Even more so if you play on the PS4 where the bumps and incidental contact don't do half as much damage as it seems to on the Xbox.

So perhaps this should be broken down into first of all which console you're on; and second what mode you play: The results of such a survey could be very insightful to helping to 'tune the tuner' so we all get the best experience.

Ps4 hut/versus player here. Love the bumps. AI can be wonky sometimes but usually tied to delay for me but with the new servers less of an issue. I find it harder to score but it makes me cycle and work for it. Try and adapt.
  • Jetset95 wrote: »
    To all the usual suspects who play 6's and don't have to suffer the vagaries of AI support where you always have a teammate to make your pass to, and your own skill matches your opponent much more readily than the hyperactive AI in HUT who chase and harry you without favour or fatigue I'm sure the new tuner is fine.

On xbox, VS, hut, eashl 3s and 6s (when possible). And I enjoy this tuner. It hasn't made me worse or better. It does give me less rage when I lose, as it feels like it's down to my own errors throughout the game.
  • > @Jetset95 said:
    > To all the usual suspects who play 6's and don't have to suffer the vagaries of AI support where you always have a teammate to make your pass to, and your own skill matches your opponent much more readily than the hyperactive AI in HUT who chase and harry you without favour or fatigue I'm sure the new tuner is fine.
    >
    > Even more so if you play on the PS4 where the bumps and incidental contact don't do half as much damage as it seems to on the Xbox.
    >
    > So perhaps this should be broken down into first of all which console you're on; and second what mode you play: The results of such a survey could be very insightful to helping to 'tune the tuner' so we all get the best experience.

I play EASHL on Xbox One. I usually have 3-4 friends to play club with, so I'm usually facing AI. If that breaks it down.
  • jimmo52
    96 posts Member
    edited February 2019
    I wouldn't say the nudge is on point or bad. I would say that it is missing the friction in the contact. It's all or nothing. If you are next to your opponent, but not hitting, they pass through like nothing. The positioning should've affected the speed with hitting the button Hit.
    And that's why some deke are kind of invincible, although you have the body on body.
  • Love reading this, we finally get a way to stop / control the one man show and someone complains

I love this forum - people can either completely ignore what they've read or there is a perception filter applied to it that surely is the forerunner to a time machine or Star Trek Transporter.

Saying that a fix for one part of the game that has negative impacts on another isn't complaining, it's trying to help make it better for everyone.
  • And yeah I love hitting in the game and I'm super good at it but I get what your saying about HUGE hits I think hitting is awesome.. but they could fix it better... That's another thing they need to have like game misconduct and suspensions if you hit a player for no freaking reason then they should suspend that guy talk to your team for like three games or 10 games or whatever also they should be the offside thing or it barely crossing the line excetera
  • I agree on to a degree with what you're saying. The bumps from directly behind with both skaters skating in a straight line drive me crazy. However, if the attacking winger drives wide and then cuts in towards the net and the defender is driving straight back from the center of the ice and gets a bump on the side/backside then i believe the puck should come dislodged.

What i think would be an effective way to stop the bumps from behind, is to have it initiate a cross check animation when you engage the hit stick from behind an opponent. This would do two things, the checking from behind animation would become more realistic as opposed to body checking air, you would run the risk of taking a penalty for engaging in a hit animation in a situation you shouldn't.

Overall, I'd prefer the bumps as are over being non existent as it has been in the past. It promotes quick puck movement and good players can still overcome the physical play, much like real life.
  • Xbox
    6’s
    While there is a lot to still tinker with..as I 5’9” dangler 175.. things feel pretty good hitting wise. With reasonable expectations there really isn’t anything glaring in the game I would argue for with hitting on either side of the puck.

Details sure but letting the fur settle and then maybe little tweaks would be good. Also, pretty stoked with the server additions, kinda want to let that settle in and just play a few days. See what happens. Only had a chance for two games this morning but they were great. Looking forward to seeing how things go
    All Comments pertain to 6v6 drop in unless otherwise stated..