EA Forums - Banner

Sales dropping each year EA... This is why.

124Next

Replies

• Sinbin wrote: »
    HawxQueefs wrote: »

The players in division 10 belong there . EA has tried to make this game fun for the worst players. I've tilt is real. The one percent get screwed over all the time by this. Lose to teams that shouldn't even be in games .. they should make rooms for the below avg clubs rooms for the avg clubs and rooms for the elite. .. There should be no ice tilt or help from the AI at anytime. The worst players are making this game trash. They already got the attributes takin away. You can't compete get good .

EA has said time and time again that ice tilt is not real. If you are regularly losing to players/clubs you feel are below average, you aren't as good as you think you are. What are you using as your qualification for a below average player? Goals that trickle in or glance off the goalie? Shots thrown on net from the blue line that score? Those happen for everyone and guys that rely on them are going to lose more often than win. There is no ice tilt. The sooner you realize that and focus on your own play instead of blaming the game, the sooner you'll see your record go in the right direction.

I love these types of responses.

You have absolutely no data to back up anything you are claiming here. All you are doing is assuming a factor, which is the lack of talent or skill of the person you are replying to.

You have no connection issues. Fine, good for you. I for one can confirm since the last update gameplay has been way below stellar for me and the people I play with and this has been for the last 2 weeks. Our passes are not going where we are aiming, we are getting weird pivots, getting consistently stone-walled on great scoring chances, D men in passing lanes yet not reacting to passes, our goalies getting delayed animations vs controller input, opponents jumping all over rebounds while our D men are in position yet ignore the puck, etc.

2 nights ago I picked up a loose puck near my net. Have it in my possession in between 1 to 2 seconds. An opponent comes swooping in and literally steals the puck from me in a one-timer animation and blows it right past my goalie for a "cute" goal. Every single one of us was absolutely amazed at what happened and just couldn't believe it.

So yea, for someone as yourself who has admitted several times to being an extremely "literal" person, I am amazed at this type of response from you. 0 facts and all assumption.

Sorry to disappoint you, but not all wins and losses are based on talent. Maybe you should broaden your horizons a bit and accept there are other factors to this game that maybe you are lucky enough to not experience for yourself.

But when you push these types of players to show what they are experiencing they never do. I tend to agree people think they are better then they actually are.
  • VeNOM2099
    3178 posts Member
    Sinbin wrote: »

The players in division 10 belong there . EA has tried to make this game fun for the worst players. I've tilt is real. The one percent get screwed over all the time by this. Lose to teams that shouldn't even be in games .. they should make rooms for the below avg clubs rooms for the avg clubs and rooms for the elite. .. There should be no ice tilt or help from the AI at anytime. The worst players are making this game trash. They already got the attributes takin away. You can't compete get good .

EA has said time and time again that ice tilt is not real. If you are regularly losing to players/clubs you feel are below average, you aren't as good as you think you are. What are you using as your qualification for a below average player? Goals that trickle in or glance off the goalie? Shots thrown on net from the blue line that score? Those happen for everyone and guys that rely on them are going to lose more often than win. There is no ice tilt. The sooner you realize that and focus on your own play instead of blaming the game, the sooner you'll see your record go in the right direction.

You have absolutely no data to back up anything you are claiming here. All you are doing is assuming a factor, which is the lack of talent or skill of the person you are replying to.

You have no connection issues. Fine, good for you. I for one can confirm since the last update gameplay has been way below stellar for me and the people I play with and this has been for the last 2 weeks. Our passes are not going where we are aiming, we are getting weird pivots, getting consistently stone-walled on great scoring chances, D men in passing lanes yet not reacting to passes, our goalies getting delayed animations vs controller input, opponents jumping all over rebounds while our D men are in position yet ignore the puck, etc.

2 nights ago I picked up a loose puck near my net. Have it in my possession in between 1 to 2 seconds. An opponent comes swooping in and literally steals the puck from me in a one-timer animation and blows it right past my goalie for a "cute" goal. Every single one of us was absolutely amazed at what happened and just couldn't believe it.

So yea, for someone as yourself who has admitted several times to being an extremely "literal" person, I am amazed at this type of response from you. 0 facts and all assumption.

Sorry to disappoint you, but not all wins and losses are based on talent. Maybe you should broaden your horizons a bit and accept there are other factors to this game that maybe you are lucky enough to not experience for yourself.

Because it's the simplest way to not only diffuse the situation but also to discredit the claims (and claimant) in one broad "generalized" stroke.

It's funny how some people only chime in to do just this. It's also funny how when we as users put down OUR own experience in various fields (whether they are entirely similar or not) it is summarily dismissed. But hey, the DEVS or anyone at EA's experience? That's untouchable.

Look, I like the devs. I think Ben is a great guy with a lot of good ideas. But he's not infalible. He's not Ben "Mahatma" Ross. He's not Jesus Ross. Also, we may not know everything about what goes on behind the scenes, but we DO have some experience and knowledge that could help.

Instead of backhanding people away, why not try to work together? As a dev (or any kind of person in a technical position really), the best tool you have is EDUCATION.

If you educate the user, not only does he gain the knowledge necessary to understand how something works, but he can also help you help others understand.

Just saying "well obviously the problem is that you're just bad at it" is not productive. It's not even a sound argument point. It's lazy. It's dumb. It's useless. If that's all you have, here's my suggestion: don't even chime in at all.
  • I whole heartedly agree that people want to blame the game for a loss. It's pretty much human behavior. But as stated again and again, games are amiss. The passing is inexplicable. Even games that feel smooth, the passing is an alarming quandry. And pick ups (lack there of) just seem confounding. These are new issues. I think much can be attributed toward the servers. But when you have triple coverage in front of the net, and neither cpu or your own user player just skates over the puck, that is when people start to lose it. And add in the less than skillful goal, and that gets the moniker of ice tilt.

For people who haven't played the series for ever and aren't aware that this is the way it is, the added bonuses of cpu defenders blazing down the ice to magically steal the puck from your breakaway and masterfully intercepting passes with their back to the puck and goalie play being quite random, you again get the feeling of ice tilt.
    Froommey wrote: »
    Comparisons to The Show and are not possible. That game allows people to play for fun and feel progression and a slow build. Currently, the HUT mode in this game (where it seems the majority of development time and updates are being aimed) is a brutal un-fun mess for anyone who isn't playing the game with a hardcore mindset. I've quickly reached the point where upgrading my team will either require me to do frequent micro-transactions, or I have to try to find a way to beat players online who have fully upgraded teams (and so far no games have even been close). Either of those is going to be an exercise in frustration that I'm not willing to try. Somehow I am even able to play Madden's MUT mode for free and have fun longer than I can in NHL... and that's sad, because I'd prefer to play hockey.

What I don't understand is, why can there not be some kind of HUT style mode that is less cut throat? For a while I was able to play AI games and earn coins and cards, but that very quickly dries up and all that's left is playing games that are high difficulty against AI OR getting my face smashed by real players. I guess the message I'm hearing from the game is "there is no fun here for you. get good, pay us, or get out" and so I'm leaning towards the latter. Whoever is calling the shots here needs to realize that this approach is not the only way to get money out of players - I'd be happy to buy upgrades if I felt there was a mode I could use them in that was more casual and fun. The current approach is just going to drive the community to cannibalize itself until only the whales are left.

It's easier than ever to build a solid F2P team. Playing at the top level is a combination of skill and high rated players. You'd still see those same people take a low rated team and pretty much destroy someone with a stacked team that had half the skill. You also can't say HUT gets the majority of development. EASHL has had huge additions over the last few years. Even Franchise Mode has had a lot added to it. It's clearly not all about HUT. Sure, it's a big focus, but I see plenty going in to EASHL and gameplay in general. More so than HUT.

Franchise added the scouting system, that's all I know. In other case they removed much from past issue's. Better player stats by Team named not NHL or AHL and was named by Team name, to play with more Teams during a career, this are things I remember now quickly. One step forward, two step back.

In recent years promotions, arena upgrades, expanding and moving a team were added. I don't even play this mode, but I know it's seen significant upgrades besides the scouting system.

Doesn't even play this mode and comments on it anyway. This is the ONLY mode that I play, and I can tell you our versions of "significant upgrades" are very different. This mode has been collecting dust for a while and they have not made any "significant upgrades" to this mode. The scouting system is a nice feature, but nothing to brag about.

I think "significant upgrades" would include roster sharing, created player/team porting and much more enhanced statistical features than just arena upgrades and moving a team...
    PS4 Pro : NHL19 : Franchise Mode
  • VeNOM2099 wrote: »

Because it's the simplest way to not only diffuse the situation but also to discredit the claims (and claimant) in one broad "generalized" stroke.

It's funny how some people only chime in to do just this. It's also funny how when we as users put down OUR own experience in various fields (whether they are entirely similar or not) it is summarily dismissed. But hey, the DEVS or anyone at EA's experience? That's untouchable.

Look, I like the devs. I think Ben is a great guy with a lot of good ideas. But he's not infalible. He's not Ben "Mahatma" Ross. He's not Jesus Ross. Also, we may not know everything about what goes on behind the scenes, but we DO have some experience and knowledge that could help.

Instead of backhanding people away, why not try to work together? As a dev (or any kind of person in a technical position really), the best tool you have is EDUCATION.

If you educate the user, not only does he gain the knowledge necessary to understand how something works, but he can also help you help others understand.

Just saying "well obviously the problem is that you're just bad at it" is not productive. It's not even a sound argument point. It's lazy. It's dumb. It's useless. If that's all you have, here's my suggestion: don't even chime in at all.

Well when someone writes three paragraphs about how they feel the game cost them to lose instead of posting videos of gameplay how else would you want anyone to respond. When the video gets posted generally we can form a better opinion on what is actually happening as opposed to how someone is feeling.

It's so easy for someone to get mad at the game and run to this forum and complain instead of analyzing what they could have possibly done wrong.
  • VeNOM2099
    3178 posts Member
    edited March 2019
    flyextacy wrote: »
    Well when someone writes three paragraphs about how they feel the game cost them to lose instead of posting videos of gameplay how else would you want anyone to respond. When the video gets posted generally we can form a better opinion on what is actually happening as opposed to how someone is feeling.

It's so easy for someone to get mad at the game and run to this forum and complain instead of analyzing what they could have possibly done wrong.

You know as well as I do that a video is often picked apart and used to validate someone else's point of views instead of trying to find a solution. As an example @Bmh245 has posted dozens of clips, videos and images showing the erratic AI behaviour. Not only showing but PROVING it's bad coding.

Yet you have some people posting that it's human error even when the video clearly shows it's not.

"Post a video showing your gameplay" is another LAZY response that doesn't really solve anything and creates more issues within our community because no one is on the same page with everyone else. Everyone wants their ideology to be the dominant one.

But it's like I always say: if you want something fixed, suggest a solution. Pointing fingers is NOT a solution. Finding the blame or who is wrong/right is NOT a solution. If you don't have a solution, don't contribute. You're gonna do more harm than good.
  • kezz123
    653 posts Member
    Above1988 wrote: »
    It's no secret that the player base continues to dwindle each year. We just saw a recent spike on xbox around the 299,000 mark, but most of that was sale purchases for less than $20.... Just a few years ago, by this time of the year we would be closer 500,000, most of which who paid the full $60 price tag for the game, let alone the premium and presale editions with all the extras that come with it.

Everybody has their reason on why the game is "trash" in one way or another, but there is a seriously glaring problem that the Devs (or most likely the EA bigwigs) overlook and fail to recognize:

The "community" influences this game way too much.

And by community, I'm not talking about the greater majority of players that you see sitting in Div 10 every year, the same player base that’s continuing to dwindle away, year after year…. I'm talking about the <1% of players who rant and rave on these forums, because they’re not winning every game, and the even lesser percentage of those privileged with the title of "gamechanger".

So what happens is you have a very small group of players, who are altering the game according to their personal preference and play style, that the greater majority of players have to adhere to because EA is desperately trying to do anything and everything to give what (they think) everybody wants, all in effort to boost sales again. In other words: the inmates are literally running the asylum.

The greater majority of players clearly just can’t keep up with the endless patches and tuners that are catered to the <1%, and why should they?? It’s literally a different game every two weeks! Any low-level business executive at EA should know that consistency is the key to success and there’s nothing consistent about this game, except for the drop in sales, year after year….

It’s not just the forums but it’s also in-game as well. The fact that the hut marketplace is 100% controlled and mandated by the community is just abysmal. Just, WHY?! For a game mode that’s all about getting ahead by upgrading your team, it gets more difficult every year because the community determines what’s valuable and what isn’t in the marketplace. Yes, we have the free legend cards this year. The problem with that is now everyone has the exact same “ultimate team”, and there’s absolutely no incentive to buy packs or trade anymore because like every year, nothing is worth what it should be! The marketplace is worse than ever!

How about specialty cards having minimum/maximum sell values?? How about introducing better packs with better pulls to actually give players reason to spend real money on? How bout standing behind your product with some productive rule and regulation, without catering to the demands of school children who aren't satisfied with their toy!?

No because once again, you have a small group of players who are controlling all aspects of this game, and EA wonders where the sales are going??

Yes, this is the growing trend/problem with allot of online games these days, but the effects are more pronounced when you have a small and niche player base like the NHL series. Everybody can see that EA took a step in the right direction with Apex legends dominating the scene right now, but they are continuing to ruin NHL (along with other AAA titles) for the true fanbases of these games.

I don’t know what’s next for the NHL series. Maybe free to play, battle royale is the way to go but as of now its not looking good.

Your logic here is completely wrong.
    There are game forums in every single game in existence and pretty much every single one of them is perused by devs and some fixes come from the feedback received everywhere. All games are not facing the challenges that EA NHL is.

The game is simply less fun to play than it used to be or people would continue to buy it.

• VeNOM2099 wrote: »

You know as well as I do that a video is often picked apart and used to validate someone else's point of views instead of trying to find a solution. As an example @Bmh245 has posted dozens of clips, videos and images showing the erratic AI behaviour. Not only showing but PROVING it's bad coding.

Yet you have some people posting that it's human error even when the video clearly shows it's not.

"Post a video showing your gameplay" is another LAZY response that doesn't really solve anything and creates more issues within our community because no one is on the same page with everyone else. Everyone wants their ideology to be the dominant one.

But it's like I always say: if you want something fixed, suggest a solution. Pointing fingers is NOT a solution. Finding the blame or who is wrong/right is NOT a solution. If you don't have a solution, don't contribute. You're gonna do more harm than good.

My point is with a source material we can at least have a well rounded discussion. There may be disagreement but at least is based on what actually happen as opposed to feeling of what happened.

Bmh posts his videos, Ben explains why it happened or what was intended to happen, and we as players can speculate on how we would like to see it. It's better to have that discussion and find middle ground rather then say ice tilt or 84 skates faster then 97 without anything to verify that claim.

To me it isnt about being right or wrong but having a well rounded discussion.
  • VeNOM2099
    3178 posts Member
    edited March 2019
    Discussions are all fine and good, as long as you're doing that to work towards a solution. When you are discussing with the only purpose to "discuss", then nothing gets done. Kinda like the scene in "Life of Brian" where the Judean's People's Front (or was it the People's Front of Judea? I always forget! :p ) are talking about creating a Committee to discuss about the Committee in order to make the Committee in the first place...

I agree that talking about "ice tilt" and the like is just more blaming/finger pointing that doesn't help the discussion move forward.

At the same time, it's our job as "users" to point out the problems we see and it's the Techs (devs) job to find the solution. I don't wanna know WHY it's happening. I don't care. How do you fix it? Please fix it.

I work as an IT in a big telecommunications company now. If I have a user that tells me that his mouse is behaving erratically. It's my job to fix it. He doesn't want to know that it was going bonkers because a piece of hair was in the optics. Just fix it! Afterwards, when the mouse is working correctly, if the user wants to know why, then I tell him. At that point, he'll be more receptive to the information I'm giving him and he'll also be educated about possible obstacles he can remove himself in the future.

That's how you generate useful discussion.
  • I'm not sure I follow what you mean by discussing to get stuff done. We dont make the game as users but in discussing it is a manner of feedback for ea negative or positive.

Sometimes people create threads just to vent how ea cheated them. In the event that happens I want to see gameplay so I can understand exactly what they are talking about and if their claim is in fact the game cheating them.

Bmh for example does a great job of pointing out the flaws in the coding with video representation of what happened and then he goes on to explain how he feels about it.

You say just fix it, it's not so black and white especially when it comes to coding. There are so many variables and layers that to adjust one thing could affect something else.

They make great progress this year by using the discussions just as this to better shape the game but if someone is trashing ea without anything to support it we as users should call those people out and educate them on a better means of communicating their issues so eventually things do get fixed.

Anyways I think we want the same thing which is the best hockey game we can get and this year it feels like EA has taken a good step forward in trying to find middle ground between everyone in the community.
  • I have to agree with the assessment that the game isn't improving much year on year. Especially offline play. It seems to take one step forward and several back. Like most of the EA sports franchises it suffers severely from a lack of competition and is stagnant. Thankfully fans of NBA have a better alternative and Fifa has fallen behind Pro Evo again, but nothing for hockey fans yet.

Franchise mode has barely changed for a decade, perhaps longer. I guess you could argue there's not much more that can be done with it, but there have only really been some minor tweaks to how facilities are upgraded and including the creation and moving of a franchise (btw who asks to relocate when they could just add a new team anyway?).
    The latest scouting change is a decent idea but so poorly explained and executed. You'd think leaving guys in a league for a year means they know all the players inside out, and to be fair they kind of do, everything except potential. The one thing you desperately need to know before a draft but not one single potential will be revealed in a year unless you go through the tedium of manually assigning your scouts to every individual in the game to get results.

From an offline POV solving pokecheck spamming by making it an instant trip was a terrible idea and makes an entire defensive button near useless. To make matters worse the AI is still free to spam all it wants(especially from behind) in its usual cheap as hell fashion. It still doesn't have any sense of strategy or good gameplay it just breezes past players and gets some crazy puck glue and defensive silhouette bonus. Not to mention ridiculous superman saves from the goaltender every game while your own has rocks in his skates.
    Even when you're still beating it to a pulp without pokechecks, it just pulls the old 'free powerplay from a CPU Teammate Penalty' routine. Forget putting the slider to 0 as whoever tested the sliders clearly took the week off.
    Too many games take this lazy route of AI bonuses instead of being genuinely competitive but it's so disappointing.

It's pretty clear that the main area that truly gets attention is the big moneymaker - HUT. I suppose you can't blame them when people play roulette with hundreds of dollars to try and get that 90+ guy. You'd have better luck in Vegas.
    Cynically I'd be surprised if World of CHEL didn't start to include options to purchase new gear as well.

Commentary hasn't improved and heck even the soundtrack has gone downhill.

There's a clear demand for good NHL games and a lot of people want to see improvement, but I suspect sales are slowly taking a hit and a lot of people have stopped buying yearly as not enough changes, particularly for the price.

It needs a major investment one year to fix the mounting bugs and gameplay issues and bring people back. Even if EA make a loss on it that year they won't regret it in the long run.
  • DetFrankShark
    77 posts Member
    edited March 2019
    Too many damn tripping penalties! That’s why I won’t play this game again after 20+ years. COD is the new norm. NHL 19 way too frustrating. Unrealistic tripping calls have ruined this game for good.

[Removed all caps]
    Post edited by EA_Roger on
  • SpillGal
    336 posts Member
    I think poking and when it's considered a trip is pretty good right now.
    There is still some cases from the side, that are 50/50 whether it will connect with the puck or the skates, like the one in the start of this clip.

What I really think they should change, is how you can trip someone gliding, like I did at the end of that clip.
    This would also help in countering the overpowered protection you get, from holding the stick out to the side.

The glide'n'protect was better balanced in the release and also when they rolled back the tuners. (In my opinion). Unfortunately it's now back, in all it's glory. Leading to plays like this:

In this game, freezing up as the last man back, is a viable strategy.
    The chance that you will get the puck of a glider is so minimal, there's no point in even trying. Which, of course, gives players the incentive to skillzone. Then we get this "fun" kind of play:

I'm scoring here, but please watch my opponents AI versus my AI. One of them is hiding behind / at the side of net. While the other one is camped a little out, to the side, making for the perfect 1T spot.
    Granted, in this clip my opponent is trying to play and thus bringing his players out of position.
    He would actually have been better of skillzoning. Still, that doesn't change the placement of the AI.
  • Sinbin
    1331 posts Member

If the issue is connection related, that's different. That's not ice tilt. We all know that when someone says ice tilt they mean they took a loss they don't feel was fair. I don't think it's a far reach to assume they meant this.

If the issue is connection related, that's different. That's not ice tilt. We all know that when someone says ice tilt they mean they took a loss they don't feel was fair. I don't think it's a far reach to assume they meant this.

You admit it is reaching. You have no lag so you cannot comment on it. I assure you I am getting lag lately since the last update and if I didn't know any better, I would say it is ice tilt. Lucky for us, I don't believe in ice tilt so it makes it easier for us to agree on it.

And the whole point was, you have no facts to back up your statement. All you are doing is assuming, or as you say, reaching not that far out. Discussions should be based around facts, not assumptions in this case.
  • Sinbin
    1331 posts Member
    setaylor1 wrote: »
    Froommey wrote: »
    Comparisons to The Show and are not possible. That game allows people to play for fun and feel progression and a slow build. Currently, the HUT mode in this game (where it seems the majority of development time and updates are being aimed) is a brutal un-fun mess for anyone who isn't playing the game with a hardcore mindset. I've quickly reached the point where upgrading my team will either require me to do frequent micro-transactions, or I have to try to find a way to beat players online who have fully upgraded teams (and so far no games have even been close). Either of those is going to be an exercise in frustration that I'm not willing to try. Somehow I am even able to play Madden's MUT mode for free and have fun longer than I can in NHL... and that's sad, because I'd prefer to play hockey.

What I don't understand is, why can there not be some kind of HUT style mode that is less cut throat? For a while I was able to play AI games and earn coins and cards, but that very quickly dries up and all that's left is playing games that are high difficulty against AI OR getting my face smashed by real players. I guess the message I'm hearing from the game is "there is no fun here for you. get good, pay us, or get out" and so I'm leaning towards the latter. Whoever is calling the shots here needs to realize that this approach is not the only way to get money out of players - I'd be happy to buy upgrades if I felt there was a mode I could use them in that was more casual and fun. The current approach is just going to drive the community to cannibalize itself until only the whales are left.

It's easier than ever to build a solid F2P team. Playing at the top level is a combination of skill and high rated players. You'd still see those same people take a low rated team and pretty much destroy someone with a stacked team that had half the skill. You also can't say HUT gets the majority of development. EASHL has had huge additions over the last few years. Even Franchise Mode has had a lot added to it. It's clearly not all about HUT. Sure, it's a big focus, but I see plenty going in to EASHL and gameplay in general. More so than HUT.

Franchise added the scouting system, that's all I know. In other case they removed much from past issue's. Better player stats by Team named not NHL or AHL and was named by Team name, to play with more Teams during a career, this are things I remember now quickly. One step forward, two step back.

In recent years promotions, arena upgrades, expanding and moving a team were added. I don't even play this mode, but I know it's seen significant upgrades besides the scouting system.

Doesn't even play this mode and comments on it anyway. This is the ONLY mode that I play, and I can tell you our versions of "significant upgrades" are very different. This mode has been collecting dust for a while and they have not made any "significant upgrades" to this mode. The scouting system is a nice feature, but nothing to brag about.

I think "significant upgrades" would include roster sharing, created player/team porting and much more enhanced statistical features than just arena upgrades and moving a team...

My point was that they aren't ignoring the rest of the game. People act like HUT gets all the attention when it's obvious that's not the case.
  • VeNOM2099
    3178 posts Member
    edited March 2019
    I'm not sure I follow what you mean by discussing to get stuff done. We dont make the game as users but in discussing it is a manner of feedback for ea negative or positive.

Sometimes people create threads just to vent how ea cheated them. In the event that happens I want to see gameplay so I can understand exactly what they are talking about and if their claim is in fact the game cheating them.

Bmh for example does a great job of pointing out the flaws in the coding with video representation of what happened and then he goes on to explain how he feels about it.

You say just fix it, it's not so black and white especially when it comes to coding. There are so many variables and layers that to adjust one thing could affect something else.

They make great progress this year by using the discussions just as this to better shape the game but if someone is trashing ea without anything to support it we as users should call those people out and educate them on a better means of communicating their issues so eventually things do get fixed.

Anyways I think we want the same thing which is the best hockey game we can get and this year it feels like EA has taken a good step forward in trying to find middle ground between everyone in the community.

We do.

What I'm talking about is the people that like to discuss while creating chaos. Continuing with our example of @Bmh245 he provides insight and videos while also providing a direction for the discussion: The AI did THIS in my video, when it should really be doing this. Or when I talk about the goalies: The goalie does this, but he should really be doing this.

But when someone says "you're just mad because you're not as good as you think you are" or "there is no ice tilt because the devs said so"... What is that really contributing? What is that discussion progressing towards? Not a resolution, that's for sure.

As for NHL 19 and how much "progress" EA have made, I will admit that a few things really are better. And a few things are bad and/or missing. But a lot of things stayed the same, and that's the frustrating part.

We all want the best possible experience, that's true. But not all of us want the "same" experiences when we play this game. And I think that's fine. NHL can be so many things to so many different people. It can be a quick fun arcade romp. It can be a deep immersive simulation. It can be an extremely competitive online "e-sport". It can be a casual good time.

There are so many modes, so many ways EA can offer up something for everyone. And they sort of did, with the inclusion of VS, HUT, Ones, Threes, EASHL etc. But where they failed is that most of those online modes share the same settings presets... IMO it just doesn't work that way. There's also the philosophy behind the creation of this game, and, like I said in another thread, I think the way the devs will build the game from the top down (elites first) doesn't work.
  • Above1988
    80 posts Member
    edited March 2019
    VeNOM2099 wrote: »
    I'm not sure I follow what you mean by discussing to get stuff done. We dont make the game as users but in discussing it is a manner of feedback for ea negative or positive.

We do.

What I'm talking about is the people that like to discuss while creating chaos. Continuing with our example of @Bmh245 he provides insight and videos while also providing a direction for the discussion: The AI did THIS in my video, when it should really be doing this. Or when I talk about the goalies: The goalie does this, but he should really be doing this.

But when someone says "you're just mad because you're not as good as you think you are" or "there is no ice tilt because the devs said so"... What is that really contributing? What is that discussion progressing towards? Not a resolution, that's for sure.

As for NHL 19 and how much "progress" EA have made, I will admit that a few things really are better. And a few things are bad and/or missing. But a lot of things stayed the same, and that's the frustrating part.

We all want the best possible experience, that's true. But not all of us want the "same" experiences when we play this game. And I think that's fine. NHL can be so many things to so many different people. It can be a quick fun arcade romp. It can be a deep immersive simulation. It can be an extremely competitive online "e-sport". It can be a casual good time.

There are so many modes, so many ways EA can offer up something for everyone. And they sort of did, with the inclusion of VS, HUT, Ones, Threes, EASHL etc. But where they failed is that most of those online modes share the same settings presets... IMO it just doesn't work that way. There's also the philosophy behind the creation of this game, and, like I said in another thread, I think the way the devs will build the game from the top down (elites first) doesn't work.

Of course we all want the same experience out of this game...we all want to WIN!

So we turn to these forums and try to get the devs on our side, by changing one thing or the other, and if that one thing isnt what someone else wants, then they throw their hat into the ring with the same old "no that's trash, get good...THIS is how the game is supposed to be played, MY way! ....blah, blah, blah, something, something , icetilt....fix it devs!" and the bandwagon keeps rolling.

It's an endless schizophrenic cycle of how an EA sports' presentation of a hockey video game is supposed to be: everyone here thinks they are "the best" and no one wants to lose their golden little fantasy of being "the best" at something...

The reality is, no matter how many people jump on a topic posted here, a livestream or a YouTube video, it's really not all that many in the grand scheme of things.....The player base should be growing each year, not dropping.

So congratulations, you got your way and now you really are the best, out of a very small pool of players that are desperately still clinging on to what once was.

Everyone seemed unanimous about the idea that the beta version of this game was 100% better, before EA started the endless cycle of "fixing" what wasnt broken, catering to the demands of power users on these forums...

some things have gotten better, I agree. But when does it stop? The gamechangers spoke. The community responded, the game keeps getting patched and tuned....its not working anymore!

I think EA needs to seriously consider rebuilding this game from the ground up. Introduce an all new and FINISHED product that the devs and the NHL can proudly stand behind, and stop catering to all the whiners and complainers of the internet! JUST STOP!

There will always be haters...EA consistently proves their weakness by caving in to their demands.

After all, If you're going to create (a game), then you need to teach people how to play that game... Not have them, tell you, how it's supposed be played!

That's called chaos and why would anybody in the right mind want to play that game!

Post edited by Above1988 on
  • usmckillem
    47 posts Member
    edited March 2019
    I think the @NHLDev just need to focus on making an NHL game first. This game is called NHL “whatever” for a reason. If you look at Fifa or Madden, they are straying away from the arcadey type games and trying to go the simulation route. If you want people to have fun with arcade style hockey, that’s fine and dandy but make it a separate game or focus on that game mode when you have an NHL simulator that plays like the real game first. For us hockey purists, I want to be able to play just like what I see on television, I don’t want people going 100 mph and going top cheese on every shot. That’s ridiculous. I want players to be different based on their skills and goalies to be true to life. I haven’t been fully satisfied with this game in over 7 years. The constant pandering to HUT and EASHL and the kids who want 100 goals a game needs to stop. EASHL used to be about skill, that is long gone now. I stopped playing online and play season or playoff mode against the AI now and even that has become terribly unenjoyable. Please make a hockey game first, the rest is fine once the foundation is solid but until then, stop with all the crazy game modes and make NHL a true representation of the real world NHL first.