EA Forums - Banner

Is it possible to put together an elite team without spending tons of time or money?

I recently jumped into the HUT fray a few weeks ago having grown tired of playing the same few teams in online competitive games. Unfortunately I have seen it looks almost impossible to land any players above the 86/87 overall range in the marketplace due to insane prices or through packs without spending real world money. Placing well in competitive seasons to get worthwhile packs is extremely difficult as my team filled up with at 85/86 ovr players gets pitted against teams loaded with mid-high 90's rated players. I can hold my own against people who are in the same skill range as me and even put up great performances against players who obviously are better and steal a victory but a lot of times its like fighting an uphill battle in winter.

The grind makes it appear i'll need to put in several hundred games to possibly put together an elite team to compete so i'm just wondering if there is some sort of magical trick i'm missing that isn't revolving around putting in hundreds or even thousands of games before grinding out enough coins to buy players to be around the level of my opponents. I know you can play the market with classic buy low/sell high but that also very time consuming in addition to putting in the time to play games.

Replies

• Yes, however, you will have begin with NHL 20 coming Sept of this year.
  • monz
    958 posts Member
    No, time or money are prerequisites of building an elite team. But depending on your skill level you can build a competitive team rather easily. Most 85's are cheap as all get out right now. Most being one tenth thier orignal value, you could build a team of 85's for under 50k.
  • rgollin60 wrote: »
    Yes, however, you will have begin with NHL 20 coming Sept of this year.

If you don’t want to spend a ton of cash in hut you do have to start in September. Or get very lucky with packs.IMO hut is not a casual mode, you have to put the time into it if you want to be competitive.
  • Jetset95
    430 posts Member
    Agree with all above, I have a completely free team 96 overall but have been grinding since Sept 14

Now it's too late to start I would think.
  • Thanks for the replies guys - I will have to remember that for 2020 if I decide to pick it up to jump into HUT right out of the gate.
  • Alafemma
    7 posts New member
    I was late with 2018 and decide to join in the battle at the opening day with 2019.. guess what, I WASS LATE! yeah you have to start with open beta at summer to be competent
  • Jetset95
    430 posts Member
    Alafemma wrote: »
    I was late with 2018 and decide to join in the battle at the opening day with 2019.. guess what, I WASS LATE! yeah you have to start with open beta at summer to be competent

Competent at what? I started on global release day the same as the majority of the NHL community and I've had my 99 overall team for a month or so and my 96 free untradeable team for longer.
  • Alafemma wrote: »

I could be wrong? But I don’t think HUT was part of the beta, hut doesn’t start till early release.

I could be wrong? But I don’t think HUT was part of the beta, hut doesn’t start till early release.

You are correct, HUT was not part of the beta, but it was part of the early access period.

i was late to 18 too, picked it up at thanksgiving that year when i got my Xbox and was my 1st game of any kind since NHL2K2 for Dreamcast and i fell in love with HUT.

i also picked up 19 on drop day but disagree that was not early enough. time is the most valuable commodity when it comes to HUT. if you have the time it's very possible to grind an elite team without spending on packs. all the better if you are a good enough player to compete in the CS leagues and earn those player cards.