EA Forums - Banner

NHL 20 Content Update October 1st

Check out our latest content update, bug fixes & key areas on which we need your feedback here.

Precision skating

Prev1
Does this still exist in this franchise or is vision control all we have left?

Replies

• Not impressed with the online skating so far in this recent tuner. I will give it few more days but not impressed at all after playing 10+ games today. It’s not the explosive starts and stops we saw in the beta or release of the game! We used to be able to stop on a dime almost shoot snow at people. Haven’t seen that since September.
  • honestly thought the skating from the beta tuner last week was awesome, but it seems to have been reverted. very disappointing.
  • Yeah skating is pretty bad right now. Seems worse after the latest tuner. Hitting is also worse. I’m just bouncing into the opponent because my player can’t gain enough momentum due to sluggish skating. I can really only hit if I get up to run away freight train speed and plow through.
  • <iframe width="1280" height="720" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/6OTUQtx5RK4"; frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

I know this video is old but this is what I am asking when I say do we still have precision skating or only vision control. @NHLDev this may be a good question for you.
  • Whoops - try this

• We didn’t carry that feature over into the new skating system.

We focused on control and responsiveness with the new system though so that a pleyer will start and stop, blend in/out, etc on the exact frame you request a change on your controller (which was a huge benefit of the new tech used) So although you don’t have those specific animations, the level of control players have should be a lot higher than that system and allow for a lot of precision around places such as the blueline.

We made specific note working on the movement data that players were leading with the puck, weren’t dragging it back behind, etc. and made improvements to pivot directions based on VC angles and left stick input to ensure more control was given.

We also added the feature to control your pivot direction so that if you hold the protect puck button, your player will consistently pivot the opposite direction from the VC target for players that want that much more control.

So again, although precision skating as the previous feature was designed is no longer there, giving players as much control as possible is still our highest goal.
  • j0rtsu67
    405 posts Member
    edited January 30
    Is it possible that the new skating system is more demanding of user's connection than old(er) one?

Sometimes it feels I'm totally out of control of my player.

Or is it just ea servers...
  • j0rtsu67 wrote: »
    Is it possible that the new skating system is more demanding of user's connection than old(er) one?

Sometimes it feels I'm totally out of control of my player.

Or is it just ea servers...

The better the end to end connection, the better any game will feel.

This system is more forgiving than the last by a long shot as you have more immediate control unlike a stateflow system where you may need to finish more of an action before you can do something else.
  • Your leading just in front of the apex when turning?
    All Comments pertain to 6v6 drop in unless otherwise stated..
  • NHLDev wrote: »
    We didn’t carry that feature over into the new skating system.

We focused on control and responsiveness with the new system though so that a pleyer will start and stop, blend in/out, etc on the exact frame you request a change on your controller (which was a huge benefit of the new tech used) So although you don’t have those specific animations, the level of control players have should be a lot higher than that system and allow for a lot of precision around places such as the blueline.

We made specific note working on the movement data that players were leading with the puck, weren’t dragging it back behind, etc. and made improvements to pivot directions based on VC angles and left stick input to ensure more control was given.

We also added the feature to control your pivot direction so that if you hold the protect puck button, your player will consistently pivot the opposite direction from the VC target for players that want that much more control.

So again, although precision skating as the previous feature was designed is no longer there, giving players as much control as possible is still our highest goal.

Is there anyway something like this may be brought back into the series? I'm assuming that had to be done away with now that we have one touch dekes but I feel way to often, especially on the PP, you dont have enough control of your players directional facing and movements. I cant simply hold the puck on the half wall and move laterally while facing the opposing boards to allow ample opportunity in whether I want to move the puck up top on the umbrella or down low. Holding vision control often times results in the player just back skating in the direction you're aiming without keeping his eyes towards the middle of the ice at all times. Not sure if anyone else experiences this or feels this way, but the lateral movement for PP opportunities, behind the net and walking the blue line seems a bit non existent.
  • Definately needs to be back in game. I have same problem on PP when on blueline. Holding L2 to trying to skate sideways and looking passing lanes. Skating is still too wonky sometimes, if I make quick change in direction, my player decides to spin around taking puck wrong side of blueline.
  • NHLDev
    1335 posts NHL Developer
    edited January 31
    Greyinsi wrote: »
    Definately needs to be back in game. I have same problem on PP when on blueline. Holding L2 to trying to skate sideways and looking passing lanes. Skating is still too wonky sometimes, if I make quick change in direction, my player decides to spin around taking puck wrong side of blueline.

Make sure you roll the way you want to turn or if it’s a stop and accel, make sure you are on the side of that 180 line that you want to turn. If your player turns to the blueline just from left stick movement, it’s just due to your angle on the left stick being more towards that side than the inside.

And along the blueline, that is the time that VC is the best as you just skate forward or backward along the blue to keep your forehand open to the net. If you were skating sideways, once you pass the middle of the ice to your off wing side, way more passes would be against your body to that forehand side where as the worst case skating with forward/backward keeping your forehand to the net would be over turning to forehand side but at least that is still to your strength rather than against your strength.

• VC is good, but nothing can compare to the level of control precision skating offered on the PP. It allowed you to skate slowly while constantly having your skates pointed at the net so the threat of a dangerous pass and shot were always there. I feel like VC somewhat does the job but the differences are that when in motion(i.e. back skating towards the boards) your skates do not face the net and the player skates to fast. This puts you in numerous disadvantaged positions, especially on the PP because the slower skating PS offered allowed you to buy more time for your AI skaters to get into PP formation and it was very practical for opening up passing lanes along the half boards. It also enabled you to move forward, gaining ice slowly while constantly having your skates facing the net. This was very effective with a defenseman or a winger when you wanted to push back your opponent and congest the net area on a 5 on 3. If you even tried doing this with VC, your player will turn his back to the play and mess up everything. Please bring it back through a patch or in the next game, it was such a slick mechanic and its a shame to see it gone:(
  • monz
    772 posts Member
    I can't believe what im reading, people looking for tps skating. Lol i thought everyone was in agreement that it was awful.
  • > @monz said:
    > I can't believe what im reading, people looking for tps skating. Lol i thought everyone was in agreement that it was awful.

TPS was never mentioned
  • xPDogg65x
    534 posts Member
    edited March 20
    > @monz said:
    > I can't believe what im reading, people looking for tps skating. Lol i thought everyone was in agreement that it was awful.

TPS was never mentioned

TPS is the topic of this thread, of course it’s been mentioned.
    And yes TPS was awful.
  • > @walkingwounded65 said:
    > PondGongshow420 wrote: »
    >
    > > @monz said:
    > > I can't believe what im reading, people looking for tps skating. Lol i thought everyone was in agreement that it was awful.
    >
    > TPS was never mentioned
    >
    >
    >
    >
    > TPS is the topic of this thread, of course it’s been mentioned.
    > And yes TPS was awful.

True Performance Skating (TPS) vs Precision Skating(PS). The acronyms are a little confusing...
  • monz
    772 posts Member
    > @walkingwounded65 said:
    > PondGongshow420 wrote: »
    >
    > > @monz said:
    > > I can't believe what im reading, people looking for tps skating. Lol i thought everyone was in agreement that it was awful.
    >
    > TPS was never mentioned
    >
    >
    >
    >
    > TPS is the topic of this thread, of course it’s been mentioned.
    > And yes TPS was awful.

True Performance Skating (TPS) vs Precision Skating(PS). The acronyms are a little confusing...

PS was part of TPS, who's confused?
  • Put more animation into the skating.

Defensive Defenseman and Snipers should not skate the same or have any of the same animations. All player types shoot the same, pass the same, get up from a hit the same. It's just wrong.

200 unique goal celebrations yet everyone skates the same. That is a bad development decision.
  • Put more animation into the skating.

Defensive Defenseman and Snipers should not skate the same or have any of the same animations. All player types shoot the same, pass the same, get up from a hit the same. It's just wrong.

200 unique goal celebrations yet everyone skates the same. That is a bad development decision.

Ah, yes. This guy gets it.

So many things that players can do on and with skates the we still can’t do in the game.

:(